PDA

View Full Version : Kobe made some interesting comments the the other day that I agree with

JordansBulls
02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Yesterday during the game against Denver it was asked somewhat why Kobe plays when hurt. And he mentioned something to the effect that many guys sit out when hurt because it affects there stats.

I kinda agree with this. I can understand when guys are older and they sit out because they will get hurt more often, but why are these younger guys sitting out soo much?

Examples: Melo, Roy, (Lebron - few years back), CP3 (earlier this year), Boozer, etc

Are those guys concerned too much with stats?

Thoughts!!!

Lakers4ItAll
02-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I think a player like Kobe who wants it more will play thru injurys and other players are just about the $ and will sit out. Each player has a diff threshold of pain tho

WITZ
02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe those players sit out because they are actually trying to get themselves healthy just my thought.

ManRam
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Getting healthy, and being ready for the playoffs is more important than anything.

A lot of times, the coaches, GMs, trainers etc. tell players when they can come back. Playing though injuries isn't always the best thing. If they rush back, and get hurt again, that's worse than anything.

And how do you know they don't play because of stats?

What Kobe is doing is great and all...but he's taking it too far. If he gets hurt more seriously because he refuses to rest (most important thing when injured), he has himself to blame.

Chronz
02-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Wonder what made him say this

heathonater
02-06-2010, 08:18 PM
it sucks not having your star player for a few games, but i would rather have them healthy and ready to go for the playoffs then being banged up. i don't want to see roy back in there until hes 100% healthy.

ManRam
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
it sucks not having your star player for a few games, but i would rather have them healthy and ready to go for the playoffs then being banged up. i don't want to see roy back in there until hes 100% healthy.

Exactly. A couple games verse Indy, Washington, Philly etc. don't mean much in the long run. Melo isn't coming back until he's 100%. If that's the difference between him being 100% in the playoffs, and him being 80% in the playoffs...a loss or two in the regular season is worth it.

ko8e24
02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
I think this is a testament to Kobe Bryant's will to win. It's almost to the extent of an obsession. But this is what makes him so great and makes him so unique from everyone else. Every great player needs a sort of edge to himself to make himself even greater, and that's what Kobe does with this whole "not sitting out" thing. It's what makes him different from everyone else in the league.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I think it is more on the training staff.

Trainers probably tell those guys to sit out until they are 100%.

Maybe Kobe has more say in the organization than any of those other stars so he can do whatever he wants.

JerzeyFresh
02-06-2010, 08:28 PM
maybe players sit out because they cant actually play without causing alot of damage to there bodies or suffering from severe pain. Kobe is just a warrior with a very large pain threshold thats why he plays through more injuries then others.

ko8e24
02-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it is more on the training staff.

Trainers probably tell those guys to sit out until they are 100%.

Maybe Kobe has more say in the organization than any of those other stars so he can do whatever he wants.

There is a mutual understanding and respect b/w Kobe and Laker's trainer Gary Vitti. Vitti has gone out on record saying that Kobe is the toughest of any player he's ever dealt with, and there is no one like him. I mean, he's treated many guys like Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Mychal Thompson, Fox, Fish, Horry, Iron Man AC Green, Shaq, Kobe. And he said that Kobe is the toughest of em all.

Oh btw yo, looks like you already won that sig bet with kobe24>lebron23 since the lakers already have 13 losses, and there is no way they're winning 70. And it looks like you're winning the sig best with ToeNail Clippers, where the Raps are 4 games over .500 while the Clips are like 6 games under .500.

And currently, Bargs is averaging 17.6 PPG and 6.2 RPG. That's close to 18 and 7, but he's gotta pick it up a bit in the rebounding department.

ManRam
02-06-2010, 08:32 PM
JB. You really think CP3 earlier this year should have played through it? Especially after he just got reinjured?

You're crazy! He's a perfect example of why you should rest.

faridk89
honestly basketball players are MOSTLY a bunch of spoiled little babies, i played football and rugby in high school and there is a big difference between being hurt and injured, kobe plays through being hurt not injured, where most nba players will sit while being hurt (vince carter), just my 2 cents

_KB24_
I agree. You should only sit out significant time if you have broken something. Flus, sprains, spasms, play through it you sissies.

TheKing23
I think this is a testament to Kobe Bryant's will to win. It's almost to the extent of an obsession. But this is what makes him so great and makes him so unique from everyone else. Every great player needs a sort of edge to himself to make himself even greater, and that's what Kobe does with this whole "not sitting out" thing. It's what makes him different from everyone else in the league.

It's what leads to him permanently battling nagging injuries.

ManRam
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
honestly basketball players are MOSTLY a bunch of spoiled little babies, i played football and rugby in high school and there is a big difference between being hurt and injured, kobe plays through being hurt not injured, where most nba players will sit while being hurt (vince carter), just my 2 cents

I will agree with that. He's hurt, not injured. I will also agree that playing through the hurt is necessary sometimes, but not always. Some guys need the rest, even when it looks like being a sissy. Some guys don't. Who are we to judge them?

DerekRE_3
02-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Getting healthy, and being ready for the playoffs is more important than anything.

A lot of times, the coaches, GMs, trainers etc. tell players when they can come back. Playing though injuries isn't always the best thing. If they rush back, and get hurt again, that's worse than anything.

And how do you know they don't play because of stats?

What Kobe is doing is great and all...but he's taking it too far. If he gets hurt more seriously because he refuses to rest (most important thing when injured), he has himself to blame.

Yep, there's being tough, and then there is being stupid.

td0tsfinest
02-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I really think Roy would play if you could. Nate McMillan is a no nonsense type of coach, if hears from the medical staff that Brandon Roy is ok to play, then he'll play.

In general, I don't agree with Kobe's comments fully. I just believe a lot of these guys are just soft.

Miller Time
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Kobe isn't normal and it's not fair to compare him with the "Joe 6-Packs" of the league. Kobe is the toughest player in the NBA and would probably play for free if he had to. Thats why he is the best player in league right now.

Vee-Rex
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I agree. You should only sit out significant time if you have broken something. Flus, sprains, spasms, play through it you sissies.

Flus I can agree with, but there are different kinds of sprains and different degrees of spasms.

Certain ankle sprains will put you on crutches for weeks depending on the severity, and I guarantee you if Kobe had the worst of it he wouldn't be playing no matter what he wanted. He's playing hurt but as another person said, he's not injured.

If anything, Kobe is more concerned with his personal image (IM SO BIG N TOUGH NO1 IZ LIEK ME) by taking the risk to really injure himself. His team is still the favorites to win the finals, he's still considered the best player, and his team is still talented without him. The smart choice would be to rest.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
There is a mutual understanding and respect b/w Kobe and Laker's trainer Gary Vitti. Vitti has gone out on record saying that Kobe is the toughest of any player he's ever dealt with, and there is no one like him. I mean, he's treated many guys like Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Mychal Thompson, Fox, Fish, Horry, Iron Man AC Green, Shaq, Kobe. And he said that Kobe is the toughest of em all.

Oh btw yo, looks like you already won that sig bet with kobe24>lebron23 since the lakers already have 13 losses, and there is no way they're winning 70. And it looks like you're winning the sig best with ToeNail Clippers, where the Raps are 4 games over .500 while the Clips are like 6 games under .500.

And currently, Bargs is averaging 17.6 PPG and 6.2 RPG. That's close to 18 and 7, but he's gotta pick it up a bit in the rebounding department.

Kobe is really tough. The way he plays, it doesn't even look like he is injured. And his game style(finesse) allows him to play through some injury unlike guys like Wade or LBJ because they are really rugged every game. If I was LA, I would sit Kobe out some games against low level teams just to get him healthy for playoffs.

And for my sig bets, I know I won but we had agreements where if there were injuries to players for a certain amount of games, Kobe24>Lebron23 doesn't have to put up a sig.

I know Clips won't have a better record than Raps so I kinda got that down too.

For Bargs, I think he picks it up but if not, I am a man of my word and will put up a sig.

I also have another sig bet in the works with a Heat fan to see which team has a better record by seasons end.

ko8e24
02-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Oh I understand, but Kobe doesn't do something without a reason. Now yes, right now, whatever he is doing may seem stupid, but down the line, maybe he'll let us all know why he's doin what he's doin.

He's demented, sick, twisted and a true sadist for pain in my mind, which is why I just can't but be awed by this guy.

ko8e24
02-06-2010, 08:48 PM
Kobe is really tough. The way he plays, it doesn't even look like he is injured. And his game style(finesse) allows him to play through some injury unlike guys like Wade or LBJ because they are really rugged every game. If I was LA, I would sit Kobe out some games against low level teams just to get him healthy for playoffs.

And for my sig bets, I know I won but we had agreements where if there were injuries to players for a certain amount of games, Kobe24>Lebron23 doesn't have to put up a sig.

I know Clips won't have a better record than Raps so I kinda got that down too.

For Bargs, I think he picks it up but if not, I am a man of my word and will put up a sig.

I also have another sig bet in the works with a Heat fan to see which team has a better record by seasons end.

I really think that cuz of his height, he should be helping Bosh in the rebouding department. I think after all-star break, he's gonna pick it up scoring wise and rebounding wise.

Oh btw, remember, numbers are rounded, so he has to avg a minum 17.5 PPG (rounds to 18 ppg) and 6.5 RPG (rounds to 7 rpg) :D

igPay atinLay
02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
It pains to say something nice about Kobe, it pains me to support him in any way but...

Kobe is a warrior, he is a true competitor, and he fights because something in him can't stand second best.

So he will play through anything that the doctors allow him to.

rabueed
02-06-2010, 09:24 PM
How does anyone here know that he'll heal by sitting out?

back spasms don't heal differently if you play or not, it heals the same.

His broken fingers won't heal unless he gets surgery, which will put him out 3 months. So it's the same if he plays or rests. He needs surgery, but he won't let the lakers play without him for 3 months because they will not do well without him, they would lose all sense of home court advantage.

ankle sprains don't worsen, you can't damage it more by playing, so either you rest or play. He chooses play.

Kobe can handle the pain, he doesn't mind it. His mindset is that him playing hurt is more beneficial to the team then him not playing at all. And, to an extent, I agree with him.

Shady66
02-06-2010, 09:37 PM

His broken fingers won't heal unless he gets surgery, which will put him out 3 months. So it's the same if he plays or rests. He needs surgery, but he won't let the lakers play without him for 3 months because they will not do well without him, they would lose all sense of home court advantage.

ankle sprains don't worsen, you can't damage it more by playing, so either you rest or play. He chooses play.

Kobe can handle the pain, he doesn't mind it. His mindset is that him playing hurt is more beneficial to the team then him not playing at all. And, to an extent, I agree with him.

they may not get worse, but they definatly wont get better.

Teeboy1487
02-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I might be the only lakers fan that's against what kobe said. I really would prefer if he rest because I want him to be 100% around playoff time. He needs to heal. I feel like his injuries are limiting his effectiveness. Kobe is one of the toughest players I have ever seen and I know he prides himself on playing every game, but sometimes, you have to sit out and heal. I would see if this was he playoffs right now, but this is the regular season. Kobe being at 100% for the playoffs is more important than meaningless games in the regular season. I wish he would rest, but I know better.

Vee-Rex
02-06-2010, 09:51 PM

Dude, ankle sprains won't heal as fast if you're constantly on it. A sprain is when the ligaments or muscle tissue is stretched or torn. Unless Kobe's ankle sprain is just exaggerated (it could have been a simple twisted ankle), he's better off resting it now or he'll be dealing with pain for far longer than he normally would.

I know Kobe is a warrior and all but jeez, let's stop swingin' from his pair for just one moment.

WhyDuquette
02-06-2010, 09:53 PM
The goal for an Nba player should be to win a championship. If you have things looked up for a good postseason seed and dont need to play you should rest yourself for the playoffs and not worry about stats.

SaimoNETS
02-06-2010, 09:54 PM

This is so surprising, coming from a Raptors fan. :rolleyes:

rabueed
02-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Dude, ankle sprains won't heal as fast if you're constantly on it. A sprain is when the ligaments or muscle tissue is stretched or torn. Unless Kobe's ankle sprain is just exaggerated (it could have been a simple twisted ankle), he's better off resting it now or he'll be dealing with pain for far longer than he normally would.

I know Kobe is a warrior and all but jeez, let's stop swingin' from his pair for just one moment.

it's not a sprain if he can run on it, and he's doing that fine. So, no, I wouldn't consider it a sprain.

and like I said, he can handle the pain, so he would rather play and have it take time to heal then not play at all. If it's gonna heal regardless, then he can make the decision of playing or not.

if he isn't detrimental to the team, then it's fine. And from my view, he's helping the team by playing more so than if he didn't play.

rabueed
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
they may not get worse, but they definatly wont get better.

apparently, you didn't read what I said. his injuries, whether he rests or not, will either get better regardless or stay the same regardless.

Hellcrooner
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
it would be more credible if he was actually reducing his numbers of shots and getting his averages down.

Kakaroach
02-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I think its true for some players, but I don't think thats the case with the majority of the league. At least I hope not.

ko8e24
02-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Kobe not playing 2nite @ Portland

heathonater
02-06-2010, 11:56 PM
yea, i didnt know that till the game was on. is the ankle injury the reaosn why he is out?

Vee-Rex
02-07-2010, 12:07 AM
apparently, you didn't read what I said. his injuries, whether he rests or not, will either get better regardless or stay the same regardless.

Recovery can be slower if you keep playing on a strained ankle, man. It's not rocket science.

No matter how much you want to twist it (no pun intended lol) just cause of Kobe's comments, it's still best that he rest some. He's sitting out of the Portland game because his ankle is sore, how much more do you need to get it? :facepalm:

ko8e24
02-07-2010, 12:26 AM
yea, i didnt know that till the game was on. is the ankle injury the reaosn why he is out?

Yes, I want him to sit out for the rest of the games leading up to the all-star break for everything else to kinda heal. But knowing him, he'll prolly wanna come back for Monday against San Antonio

OaklandsFinest
02-07-2010, 12:43 AM
I think it was Kobe trying to take a little shot at Carmello, but what he should be doing is take time to get himself healthy because Kobe is going to break down towards the end of the season. His body has a lot of miles on it and playin with that ankle, broken finger and whatever ailments he has are going to be the reason why they lose in the playoffs. They can't beat Denver anyway though

JasonJohnHorn
02-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Right now Kobe has a broken finger, and that is a big deal, but other players have played with that kind of injury too (Dawkins for example). Its cool that Konbe is playing through it, it shows character, but there is no need to knock on other players who sit through injuries and it is not always an indivual call and different injuries require different rehab and can impact a players game differently.

For one a team may choose to shelf a player because they don't want to risk further injury. Some injuries, like foot, knee and leg injuries impact a players game. If a player know he won't be at 100% and that his less-than-par play may adversely impact his team, it is smart to sit. If you have a ligth sprain in your foot, ankle, or a mild knee injury, playing with it could aggrevate it (like Garnett last year: rushing back DID NOT HELP HIS TEAM- he missed the playoffs because of it).

Shaq recieved a lot of slack for missing games because of a toe injury, but the bottom line is when you are as big as Shaq (or even for a regular guy), a toe injury could cause a lot of pain and slow down play and hurt the team.

Kobe can play through this injury because it doesn't imapct his mobility, he can still cut to the basket and play defence, but there is no need to knock on guys who don't play through other types of injuries, especially when when team's often have their star players sit to avoid aggrevating injuries.

JasonJohnHorn
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
In 13 years Kobe has played 82 games only three times and five seasons he has played less than 70 games. Duncan has as many. In his first four season Dwight Howard topped Kobe's number of 82 game season that took him 13 years to get. Tayshawn Prince got six straight 82-game season.

Injury is a matter of luck and conditioning. There's no call for Kobe to call out players like that when his own track record for injury isn't anything special. I give Kobe props for playing hurt right now, but he's not standing from a place where he has any right to diss other players. Sounds like he's just stroking himself.

jim51990
02-07-2010, 01:46 AM
simply kobe should not be playing just like kg should not be playing for the celtics

mvb815
02-07-2010, 02:14 AM
I think it's more money related than anything.

"hey sore back? you wanna play on it or sit out and get paid?'

only someone who has a deep passion for the game, like kobe, would play through.

THE MTL
02-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Yesterday during the game against Denver it was asked somewhat why Kobe plays when hurt. And he mentioned something to the effect that many guys sit out when hurt because it affects there stats.

I kinda agree with this. I can understand when guys are older and they sit out because they will get hurt more often, but why are these younger guys sitting out soo much?

Examples: Melo, Roy, (Lebron - few years back), CP3 (earlier this year), Boozer, etc

Thoughts!!!

What is wrong with you? I dont understand why you make some many ridiculous threads. Matter of fact, its not the threads...its the information you use to back up your threads. And then ask a stupid question. Iono why Chris Paul is sitting right now....maybe he broke his foot?

Lebron's lowest season total was 75 games. Thats only 7 games. And btw, his finger been bothering him for some time now and he's still playing.

Carlos Boozer missed a season. I guess he should have been playing maybe his career might be over :/

Chris Paul def. should have played earlier this season. Maybe he would have just re-injured and would have to miss the rest of the season besides 2 months.

KG2TB
02-07-2010, 04:42 AM
This is Kobe's sly way of saying look at me, I'm a rebel in the league because I'm playing hurt when most guys would sit because they're scared of their stats dropping. Oh, btw, if I were healthy I'd be averaging a triple double. It's ridiculous. Guys play hurt in the NBA. All the time. He's a tough player for sure and ya gotta love anybody who plays hurt, but the only reason guys sit when they're hurt is when they're detrimental to the team which he clearly is not right now.

ChaseMe
02-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Sometimes it's quite the opposite actually, when injured players want to play and it's everyone else who advises them to sit out.

MadBomber
02-07-2010, 05:30 AM
in my opinion playing through injuries is not about being tough its about being dumb. when you are injured you should properly rest yourself and heal. if you play at less than 100% it may hurt the team, might as well do yourself and the team a favor and rest up.

i don't doubt his desire to win, but he should think about the bigger picture which is his longevity and championships. injuries only get worse if you don't allow it to heal first or else it will keep coming back.

JayW_1023
02-07-2010, 06:12 AM
I disagree it's about stats. Kobe just happens to be one of the toughest players in the league, if not the toughest. You can't blame other stars for not matching that.

JayW_1023
02-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Kobe has to watch out though...because if he continues to play hurt with the injuries piling up...he won't have anything left in the tank come postseason. And the Lakers can kiss their back to back championship goodbye.

DodgerBulls
02-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Umm, at some point maybe. But playing through injurIES is not a good idea. I know the tendency of injuring it again is very high so why not play through it until it really bothers you. Statistically, Kobe is just not playing to the level he is used to. 5 points the other day and that is very unlikely of him. So, if I were him, just try to get better. Finger, back spasm, and ankle injuries I think calls for a little rest. All-Star break is almost there and this is the best time to rest.

magichatnumber9
02-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Corey Maggette,That is one tough dude. His finger went completely back. Came back and had a good game. As far as injuries different teams have different policies, because injuries are more of a financial thing then anything. If Kobe should call out anything in this league it should be the competitiveness of certain players in the league, example Devin Harris. Nothing hurts this league more then when guys don't come to play competitive everynight. Kobe comes to play everynight. The other thing I like about Kobe is he plays every game like its his last. How can a crowd chanting your name not pump you up?

_Supreme_
02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Often it is the team not allowing a player to play, and not the player not wanting to play.

Maybe it is true sometimes, but unless Kobe knows what goes on behind closed doors at other teams he has no clue what he is talking about.

magichatnumber9
02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Often it is the team not allowing a player to play, and not the player not wanting to play.

Maybe it is true sometimes, but unless Kobe knows what goes on behind closed doors at other teams he has no clue what he is talking about. That is true and I'm not disagreeing but you know by the look on your opponents face if they came to play. These guys play each other too regularly.

RapOZo
02-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Kobe knows LA has a very good team right now, so he just don't want to sit and people find out that the team can win without him, he scared.

yeah, i said it... :cool:

JordansBulls
02-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Sometimes it's quite the opposite actually, when injured players want to play and it's everyone else who advises them to sit out.

Yeah but if you are the star player I'm sure what you decide will be the final say not the coach.

philab
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
EDIT: This post made no sense.

JordansBulls
02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
EDIT: This post made no sense.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/JordansBulls/th_wtf.gif

superkegger
02-07-2010, 05:28 PM

my guess is its for his own mental edge than anything else.

ARMIN12NBA
02-07-2010, 06:44 PM

In context, it is probably because Carmelo has a lesser ankle injury than Kobe and continues to sit while Kobe played on it for three games.

boriquaabe
02-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Thoughts!!!

Kobe Bryant doesn't care about stats????? Yeah Right... Boy does he know how to blow smoke...

CAVS21
02-08-2010, 03:34 AM

how is it that KB is the only star in the league that has a will to win? oh wait because when youre a Kobe fan everything he does is the right thing to do, so I guess that means cheating on your wife is ok too in all your eyes too right? :facepalm::facepalm:

sitting out is the smarter thing to do with injuries in the regular season especially on a team that will make the playoffs even if their guy misses like 10 games i.e Melo, so maybe Kobe is the one out there trying to pad his stats or maybe he's just selfish and doesnt want another team mate to take his thunder for a night or two while he's out

CowboysKB24
02-08-2010, 08:47 AM

And permanently leads him to the championship back to back years and is on his way to his back this year!

CowboysKB24
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
He does it for his teammates. He wants to show them how dedicated and determined he is to win, so they will give it their all even if they are only playing limited. You need to have great chemistry on and off the court. I think that is a big reason why he does it.

As for other guys worried about stats, yeah probably. I think it natural to care about that as well. I am sure Kobe doesn't worry about it now because he has had his career years already and probably realizes that with the type of basketball the Lakers play now, he isn't going to get 40-50-60 points games every season multiple times. So he just doesn't care anymore, but when he was young I am sure he cared. All he needs that will increase his resume is more championships, so I think that is his main focus.

CowboysKB24
02-08-2010, 08:51 AM
how is it that KB is the only star in the league that has a will to win? oh wait because when youre a Kobe fan everything he does is the right thing to do, so I guess that means cheating on your wife is ok too in all your eyes too right? :facepalm::facepalm:

sitting out is the smarter thing to do with injuries in the regular season especially on a team that will make the playoffs even if their guy misses like 10 games i.e Melo, so maybe Kobe is the one out there trying to pad his stats or maybe he's just selfish and doesnt want another team mate to take his thunder for a night or two while he's out

No. That is bologna. Look at my post above. I believe that is why.

StrandedCub
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I just don't get why you would risk getting injured by playing hurt. That is how you injure an ankle, by playing on a weak sprained ankle. I like what Melo is doing. It sucks that he hasn't played in a while but like others said I would rather have him at 100% later on. Denver is winning without him. The risk outweighs the reward of maybe another game or two won.

$ NyC $
02-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I think its pretty dumb. Stars don't sit out because of their Stats. I think they might ACTUALLY sit out because they don't wanna further injure themselves. Why would Roy ruin his teams future so he can play in a few extra games? Sit out/heal/rest now and play the games that matter later. Melo's Nuggets are gonna make noise this year so wouldn't it be better for him to get his rest and heal now so he can be 100% for the playoffs? Maybe he also just has confidence in his team that they will actually win games without him.

That's just my 2 cents.

G-Funk
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Maybe it is true sometimes, but unless Kobe knows what goes on behind closed doors at other teams he has no clue what he is talking about.

He don't need to be in other teams loker rooms. He played for the USA team and speaks to other stars in the All-star weekends, Im sure they speak amongs themselves.

Raph12
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I get that Kobe wants to win every game and that's nice and all, but when you're having back spasms, groin issues, ankle issues and a broken finger, I think people will understand if you take some time off.

$ NyC $
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Also Jordansbulls brought up CP3. If you are arguably the best PG in the league, a super-star player and your team isn't going no where fast, would you risk seriously further injuring yourself for a pointless year?

ManRam
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I think its pretty dumb. Stars don't sit out because of their Stats. I think they might ACTUALLY sit out because they don't wanna further injure themselves. Why would Roy ruin his teams future so he can play in a few extra games? Sit out/heal/rest now and play the games that matter later. Melo's Nuggets are gonna make noise this year so wouldn't it be better for him to get his rest and heal now so he can be 100% for the playoffs? Maybe he also just has confidence in his team that they will actually win games without him.

That's just my 2 cents.

I agree. Saying that it's because of stats is just an immature jab and a way to make yourself look even more almighty. He really has no right to comment on other players' injuries and how they manage it. If his injuries continue to not get better, or if they even get worse, the joke is on him.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
flus i can agree with, but there are different kinds of sprains and different degrees of spasms.

Certain ankle sprains will put you on crutches for weeks depending on the severity, and i guarantee you if kobe had the worst of it he wouldn't be playing no matter what he wanted. He's playing hurt but as another person said, he's not injured.

If anything, kobe is more concerned with his personal image (im so big n tough no1 iz liek me) by taking the risk to really injure himself. His team is still the favorites to win the finals, he's still considered the best player, and his team is still talented without him. The smart choice would be to rest.

thank u!!

ManRam
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
To add one to what vee-rex said...

If Kobe wasn't taking shots at other players, I'd think that he was doing this for all the right reasons. But when you start going public about how tough you are, and about how other players are just stat-hungry cowards, then I begin to think that playing through all of these injuries is as selfish as if a player were to sit out because of his stats (which I highly doubt is the case 99% of the time).

CAVS21
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
No. That is bologna. Look at my post above. I believe that is why.

It IS SELFISH for him to play hurt, what happens to that team if he turns one of those injuries into a season ending one?(God forbid because I like watching him play) I think that maybe without him they're a playoff team but they wouldnt win a series. We get it Kobe you're tough, sitting out a couple games when your hurt doesn't make you a coward....its smart and it can help your team down the road. Nothing about playing hurt night in and night out is anywhere near intelligent......but then again Kobe's middle name is "Selfish"

kblo247
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
It IS SELFISH for him to play hurt, what happens to that team if he turns one of those injuries into a season ending one?(God forbid because I like watching him play) I think that maybe without him they're a playoff team but they wouldnt win a series. We get it Kobe you're tough, sitting out a couple games when your hurt doesn't make you a coward....its smart and it can help your team down the road. Nothing about playing hurt night in and night out is anywhere near intelligent......but then again Kobe's middle name is "Selfish"

His problem is that he said "If I Can Walk By My Own Power, I Will Play No Matter What" when talking about how he hated the fact Shaq put the team in a terrible situation in 03 with his "I'll Heal On Company Time"

No doubt about it, it is a pride/ego/heart thing.

He tries to hold to his words then just check games missed since then:
- 04 he missed games for a separated shoulder but came back after getting a pad for it
- 05 he missed games because of a high ankle sprain that was made worse because of him having plantar fascitis and he missed the end of the year when his wife had a miscarriage

Since then he has only missed games because of suspension and the first two games of 06-07 after having his knee scoped.

It is a pride thing through and through. I won't deny it. He simply tries to stick to that statement he made and at times it makes him his own worse enemy.

Believe it or not, I think Tex coming to the game yesterday brought some sense of reason to him since he takes what he says very seriously. He sat and has the option to sit the whole break so we will see how it goes.

As for the comments, I don't think he can speak for everyone but I do get that what he said holds true for some guys.

$ NyC $
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
The worse example is Chris Paul. I mean unless these games are gonna be the make/or break games of the season whats the point of risking injury. Playoffs is what matters. I will only agree with Kobe if some1 sits out during the playoffs with a subtle injury and his team really needs him which i highly doubt any1 would.

Also i think it was JordansBulls who said that super-stars will ultimately decide if they play, last time i checked, the Coach was the person who decides when to make substitutions, not the players. So the coaching staff are the ones who can ultimately decide if a player has the Green Light or not.

CowboysKB24
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

Kobe's injuries aren't season threatening. Broken figures. Sprained ankles. It shows toughness and that is what you want from your leader. He is showing the team he is there to win. I'd respect that if I was on the team and it would motivate me. Attitude reflects Leadership.

He also does it for us the fans. How pissed would you be if you went to your team's game and the best player wasn't out there? Upsetting. That is why I hate the Caldwell from the Colts. Let take out all the starters so we can lose and everyone in the building can walk out.

RaptorsFanatic
02-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Melo and Roy are killing my fantasy right now, play through injury! lol.

ManRam
02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Kobe's injuries aren't season threatening. Broken figures. Sprained ankles. It shows toughness and that is what you want from your leader. He is showing the team he is there to win. I'd respect that if I was on the team and it would motivate me. Attitude reflects Leadership.

He also does it for us the fans. How pissed would you be if you went to your team's game and the best player wasn't out there? Upsetting. That is why I hate the Caldwell from the Colts. Let take out all the starters so we can lose and everyone in the building can walk out.

Sprained ankles and broken fingers do get better though with rest though. A tweaked sprain ankle can bump the severity up to the point where it becomes one of those 4-6 week injuries.

I'd rather go to a Magic game and know my best player was getting rest in order to win games later on in the season and in the playoffs, then to see him go out there 70% verse the Hornets tonight. I'm not a fan of one player, I'm a fan of the team.

MacFitz92
02-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Now, when I think of the top warriors, guys who do whatever it takes to get the job done, I think of these guys:

Lebron James
Dirk Nowitzki
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Steve Nash

Guys I wouldnt call warriors:

-Dwight Howard (Someone who smiles this often should never be considered a warrior.)

-Melo (Someone who is this "injured" isn't a warrior)

-Shaq (Maybe in the past, but he is too much of a jokester to be considered a true warrior.)

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 12:54 AM

Maybe read every word of my post before attempting to correct me. I basically said "his selfishness COULD lead to season ending injuries" not that he HAS them.....a sprained ankle means a weak ankle so that could turn into a broken one etc.

philab
02-09-2010, 01:13 AM
This whole thread is pretty stupid now that Kobe has missed the last two games. I don't blame him for sitting at all, but this whole "warrior" thing needs a rest at least until he starts playing again.

ARMIN12NBA
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
This whole thread is pretty stupid now that Kobe has missed the last two games. I don't blame him for sitting at all, but this whole "warrior" thing needs a rest at least until he starts playing again.

Why would it be stupid? He played for two months straight with injuries and now that AS break is coming up, it was finally time to shut it down for a little bit.

philab
02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
Why would it be stupid? He played for two months straight with injuries and now that AS break is coming up, it was finally time to shut it down for a little bit.

The THREAD is stupid, not Kobe. Kobe sitting out is a very good idea.

This thread is like raving about how great a hitter Albert Pujols is on a night when he goes 0-5 with 3 Ks. It's not like he's suddenly a terrible hitter -- it's just a pretty dumb time to be talking about it.

I mean, basically, would Kobe have made these remarks -- that players sit out because they're worried about stats -- on a night that he sat out a game? Of course not, that would look ridiculous. Along that line, this thread is now ridiculous.

streetballa
02-09-2010, 02:18 AM
How about players sit out the game because the injury prevents them from being effective and they would be more of a liability if they play? Not to mention they risk further and more serious injury that requires surgery. Stats sometimes translate to wins so if they are worried they will not have the stats and they feel the team will lose if a player goes 1-12 what was the point of them playing. Kobe is the rare player that can be effective when injured, not every player has that luxury.

CowboysKB24
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Maybe read every word of my post before attempting to correct me. I basically said "his selfishness COULD lead to season ending injuries" not that he HAS them.....a sprained ankle means a weak ankle so that could turn into a broken one etc.

"I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to run through a wall just to run through a wall," he said. "If it's an injury where I feel like I can play through it and have it heal while I'm playing, then I'll play. But if it's the type of injury where it's going to get worse when I play, then I won't."

From the man himself. That is what Kobe does. So all your assumptions and bologna can stop here. He doesn't do it because he is SELFISH. Let me ask you something, when you played basketball or any sport... did you ever want to sit out ever? I never did, I'd play through anything as long as it wasn't going to hurt my life in the long run.

CowboysKB24
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Sprained ankles and broken fingers do get better though with rest though. A tweaked sprain ankle can bump the severity up to the point where it becomes one of those 4-6 week injuries.

I'd rather go to a Magic game and know my best player was getting rest in order to win games later on in the season and in the playoffs, then to see him go out there 70% verse the Hornets tonight. I'm not a fan of one player, I'm a fan of the team.

I don't know many people who wouldn't be a bit disappointed if their favorite player is out when they go to see them LIVE. That hurts. Any player missing hurts. Don't try and put that crap on me with your BS talk. Okay fans like me and you are fans of the whole team. You think everyone in that stadium is a fan like us? People just go there because they have tickets or they won them, gifts, etc. Not everyone goes there to watch the entire team. Some people don't go to the games when they know LeBron is out or Kobe is out. You missed the point. It hurts the team as an organization and also hurts them in standings if they lose.

Here is KB24.
"I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to run through a wall just to run through a wall," he said. "If it's an injury where I feel like I can play through it and have it heal while I'm playing, then I'll play. But if it's the type of injury where it's going to get worse when I play, then I won't."

artest_kobe
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
kobe just continues to show why he's the man.

wileyisTOFU
02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
-Dwight Howard (Someone who smiles this often should never be considered a warrior.)

He should take some tips from Perkins on Scowling

Raph12
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Guys I wouldnt call warriors:

He should take some tips from Perkins on Scowling

Yeah you know you guys are right... playing 360+ games straight and playing 496 of a possible 500 career games (one game suspension and one game off at the end of last season) must mean he's soft.

CAVS21
02-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah you know you guys are right... playing 360+ games straight and playing 496 of a possible 500 career games (one game suspension and one game off at the end of last season) must mean he's soft.

You're right it must haha...I just hope that he doesn't push it too far one time and ruins a knee or an ankle and has to miss significant time because I like to watch him play when Cleveland isn't on

rabueed
02-09-2010, 05:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArBCoRmV8MLF.QGQxHkFBP28vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-bryantout&prov=ap&type=lgns

LOS ANGELES (AP)óKobe Bryant(notes) isnít sure if heíll play in this weekendís NBA All-Star game in Dallas because of his sore left ankle.

Bryant missed his second consecutive game Monday night against San Antonio, which lost to the Los Angeles Lakers 101-89.

ďIf Iím not able to play, I wonít play. But Iím healthy, I will,Ē he said.

Bryant said he canít push off on his left foot.

ďI canít move to play. Canít go,Ē he said, adding he would be a game-time decision Wednesday at Utah. ďIf Iím ready to go, Iíll play.Ē

Lakers trainer Gary Vitti would like Bryant to rest through All-Star weekend, capped by Sundayís game. Bryant said he couldnít commit either way.

ďI donít know what itís going to look like on Sunday. Iím not clairvoyant,Ē he said, laughing.

Bryant stayed in the lockerroom to get treatment Monday night.

ďItís frustrating. Iím not used to this. I donít know what the hell players are supposed to do back here,Ē he said. ďI donít know whatís going on half the time.Ē

Bryantís streak of 235 consecutive games played ended Saturday when he sat out the Lakersí first win at Portland since 2005. He said his reputation for being a warrior who refuses to shut it down is overblown.

ďIím not an idiot. Iím not going to run through a wall just to run through a wall,Ē he said. ďIf itís an injury where I feel like I can play through it and have it heal while Iím playing, then Iíll play. But if itís the type of injury where itís going to get worse when I play, then I wonít.Ē

Asked what percentage he needed to be at to play again, Bryant said, ďIf I can move, Iím good. If I can move and get to the basket, Iím good.Ē

Bryant originally sprained his ankle on Jan. 29 in Philadelphia. He aggravated it last week against Charlotte when teammate Lamar Odom(notes) stepped on his foot.

Already this season, heís been playing through a fracture of his right index finger.

Andrew Bynum(notes) missed Monday nightís game because of a bruised right hip.

Read the bolded part, that's exactly what i've been trying to tell you people. We don't know the severity of any of his injuries, so he's not gonna do more damage to his body just to play. If he can play while healing, then he will play. If not, he'll sit. There you go, simple as that.

CowboysKB24
02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArBCoRmV8MLF.QGQxHkFBP28vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-bryantout&prov=ap&type=lgns

Read the bolded part, that's exactly what i've been trying to tell you people. We don't know the severity of any of his injuries, so he's not gonna do more damage to his body just to play. If he can play while healing, then he will play. If not, he'll sit. There you go, simple as that.

I already posted this.

Raph12
02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
You're right it must haha...I just hope that he doesn't push it too far one time and ruins a knee or an ankle and has to miss significant time because I like to watch him play when Cleveland isn't on

Funny I feel the same way about Lebron lol...