PDA

View Full Version : Will There Ever Be Another 6' 9 Point Guard

JJLang
02-05-2010, 08:03 AM
Will there ever be a 6' 9 point guard that is good as Magic Johnson? He sure was an anomaly.

kobeonekenobe
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
i doubt it but i'd love to see it. Magic was one in a million, cant believe he doesn't get mentioned more in the 'greatest of all time' conversations

olrales
02-05-2010, 08:26 AM
The chinese Magic Johnson, Sun Yue!!! This is the way he called himself in the press conference when he has been introduced in LA like 2 years ago...that was a real joke!

Magic won't be ever matched! Never!

Cavs_Fan24
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM
There probably will be another taller PG, but none as good as magic. That will not happen

cheezinmypocket
02-05-2010, 08:46 AM
6'8 or 6'10.... never again at 6'9... they are going to retire that height at the point guard position.

ChaseMe
02-05-2010, 08:58 AM
6'8 or 6'10.... never again at 6'9... they are going to retire that height at the point guard position.

Lmao... That just made me spit out my OJ

mynameismo
02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Shaun Livingston was a good point at 6'7 and he had great potential, just wasted due to injuries.

As for the topic, Height-wise.. Possible.. But for as good as Magic.. Never..

Spiderman 1nner
02-05-2010, 09:06 AM
you can argue Lebron is a 6'8" PG considering he brings up tha ball and facilitates tha offense averaging over 8 assists per game, but it will be a long time before we actually see a pure 6'9" PG if we ever do. If we do, he'll most likely be an international player.

Testaverde16
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
sun yuemight have been the last chance... and he was just about the exact opposite of magic

Becks2307
02-05-2010, 09:25 AM
i think any 6'8+ point guard will be converted to a SF in todays NBA. look at lebron, didn't he play PG rookie year ?

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah, he's name is LBJ. He started at point guard last night ;)

Seriously though, when there is a gy that size in an undersize league like today's league )(two starting centers are undeer 6'8: chuck Hayes- 6'6 and DuJuan blair- 6'7, and most are under 7'0), teams need to put those players at small forward and fun the point-forward set like Boston had done (and still does many times) with Pierce, or the Bulls ran with Pippen/Jordan. Wade came in playing the point the Heat moved him over to shooting guard because they needed somebody who was big enough to defend other shooting guards though he still brings the ball up a lot of the time.

Size is a luxury in the league today so in the next four or five season I can't see it happening. Even so, Magic was an anomoly. Most guys that size don't work on ball handling skill the way Magic did growing up, but I remember reading an interview where he had said he worked on his ball handling skills all the time from 5 or 6. You need some wicked ball handling skills at that size to defend the dribble from smaller/quick point guards.

But lets not forget that for the first half of Magic's career he played shooting guard and small forward a lot. People remember him as a point guard, but Norm Nixon was actually the Lakers starting point guard when Magic showed up and was one of the best point guards the league ever had. Magic didn't really move to full time point guard until Norm Nixon got traded in the twilight of his career.

LBJ is that size and brings the ball up so he is essentially the point guard for the Cavs like Kobe is for the Lakers and like Wade is for the Heat. If the league were get stacked with taller players through Europe and American college ball in the next five years, it could happen again, but right now if anybody like James or Pierce has the skill set at that size (or near that size) to play point, the teams will have to keep those players in the front court to exploit their size and work the boards. The Lakers didnt have "size" issue since the Kareem at center, Worthy and SF and guys like Sam Perkins, AC Green and Michael Thompson in the front court.

So yes, there is talent in the league right now that can pull it off (not to say James has Magic's style, just the ability to play point), but the lack of size in the league prevents teams from allow big players to play in backcourt positions.

A Tyreke Evans is looking pretty good playing point at 6'6. That's pretty big for a point guard, and Penny Hardaway played point guard at 6'7 (that Magic team also have big guys are centr-shooting guard; Shaq, Horace Grant, Dennis Scott (6'8) and Nick Anderson (6'6). If James was playing on a team with a starting line up that was that big he could play point for them.

KG21
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
MJ is MJ so nobody cant match him at his position!

But Evens is showing some good games this season so he might be the closest to MJ, but still far from his achievements.

MTar786
02-05-2010, 10:35 AM
lbj is the closest thing but not at the pg level as magic. not even close

td0tsfinest
02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Shuan Livingston is 6'7, played in the league for awhile

LBJ is kind of like Magic.

ldc62
02-05-2010, 11:56 AM
WHo cares what height they are... no one will ever be exactly like Magic.

Evolution23
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Lebron has a chance but hes gota get the 5 rings first

Raph12
02-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Shaun Livingston was supposed to be the next Magic, DAMN CLIPPS AND THEIR CURSES!... Poor Blake Griffin...

arkanian215
02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
sure lots of shooting guards are switching over to play pg these days. i dont see why not.

JOSKOMANG4
02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, he's name is LBJ. He started at point guard last night ;)

A Tyreke Evans is looking pretty good playing point at 6'6. That's pretty big for a point guard, and Penny Hardaway played point guard at 6'7 (that Magic team also have big guys are centr-shooting guard; Shaq, Horace Grant, Dennis Scott (6'8) and Nick Anderson (6'6). If James was playing on a team with a starting line up that was that big he could play point for them.

I also agree on Tyreke Evans. Evans is a tad shorter than Magic, but shows flashes of great pg. Not to mention he plays for Sacramento, who's supporting cast isn't as "notable" as the Laker supporting cast when magic was playing.

scandaless2
02-05-2010, 02:37 PM
think of all the best 6' 8'' - 6' 10" players in the nba right now.... then on paper set up your starting 5 with that pick your pg out of that list ..... so who do u pick? i go with LBJ #23

NiTEFuRY
02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Probably not a quality PG. A good portion of the position is now speed (in addition to strength) that usually is not found in someone that tall.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Lamar Odom could play PG

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-05-2010, 03:06 PM
shaun livingston had potential

sep11ie
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Congrats sir, after 38 posts, you've already made a sig!

MJ-BULLS
02-05-2010, 03:32 PM
i certainly believe so, i see the game becoming more versatile in the near future, players now and days are so athletic and good, it could happen.

RaiderLakersA's
02-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Magic could -- and DID -- play all 5 positions on the floor with the kind of lethality that hasn't been seen ever. I have nothing against LBJ, because I think if he truly set his mind and effort into it, he could be great...but as with Kobe and MJ, it would be a cross-comparisons, different kind of greatness. There will never be another Magic Johnson.

kozelkid
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
I always thought and still do that Lebron was better set at pg. Considering even more mismatches would occur.

MiamiHeat
02-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Sun yue!!!

Strumpy
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know, lemme look into my crystal ball...

Bishnoff
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Earl Clark is 6'10" and was a PG up until his last year of High School. He's no Magic however.

jmtapia
02-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I also agree on Tyreke Evans. Evans is a tad shorter than Magic, but shows flashes of great pg. Not to mention he plays for Sacramento, who's supporting cast isn't as "notable" as the Laker supporting cast when magic was playing.

good point because Evans could easily be putting up 20/5/8 with consistent talent around him. Kings have a solid core but they always miss wide open shots and lack an inside presence to put away easy baskets.

downtownbg08
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Lamar Odom could play PG

He was a point guard in college at Rhode Island

Skylander14
02-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I saw KG play PG for the wolves in the playoffs against the lakers a few years back and he is over 6'9". to anwer the question though to say never is along time, and no man can see the future, but I dont see a 6'9" pg as good as magic just because you can call him a sf and he can do about the same thing like lebron.

heathonater
02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
not for awhile. but we will eventually see a player rival magic's size and skill set at pg. it might be awhile, but their will be some kid who idolized magic and grows up to be a 6'9 pg.

JayAllDay
02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I just simply think amateur teams would be hard pressed to start a 6' 9" + player as a PG when the rest of the team are alot shorter.

If anybody that tall plays PG, it's because he's just that fascinating of a basketball talent, but still probably would be better suited to play other positions.

RaptorizedKevin
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
i doubt it but i'd love to see it. Magic was one in a million, cant believe he doesn't get mentioned more in the 'greatest of all time' conversations

WEll if yu look at Michael jordans game, he is clearly the better impact player overall. yes Magics passing abilitiy is INSANE, his vision is greater than 20/20. but versatility is only one part, there are other qualities that other players poses, that make them better than magic.

Gibby23
02-05-2010, 10:50 PM
WEll if yu look at Michael jordans game, he is clearly the better impact player overall. yes Magics passing abilitiy is INSANE, his vision is greater than 20/20. but versatility is only one part, there are other qualities that other players poses, that make them better than magic.

Magic did have to retire early, if he could have won 1 or 2 more rings, he would be the best player of all time. Magic ran the best team in the History of the NBA. Magic filled in for Kareem at center in the Finals and dropped 40 plus points. Too bad he had to retire.

FaM0us Skins
02-06-2010, 12:16 AM
No

TopsyTurvy
02-06-2010, 12:25 AM
not for awhile. but we will eventually see a player rival magic's size and skill set at pg. it might be awhile, but their will be some kid who idolized magic and grows up to be a 6'9 pg.

If you observe some recent trends, chances are there will be player who is as tall or taller and possess a skill set similar to Magic, but they will come from Europe and have idolized someone like Dirk Nowitzki or Drazen Petrovic...

nipo10847
02-06-2010, 12:47 AM
LeBron James could play the best tall point guard if he wants, but he ain't Magic. There wont be another Magic just like there wont be another Jordan. I hate when people make lame comparisons.

JJLang
02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
An outstanding bio I might add....

Magic Johnson Career Biography and Statistics

Details:
•Height: 6' 9"
•Weight: 226 lbs.
•Date Of Birth: August 14, 1959
•Hometown: Lansing, Michigan
•College: Michigan State University
•Mascot: Sparty
•High School: Everett High School
•Position: Point guard (PG)
•Draft: First overall, Los Angeles Lakers, 1979
Bio:
Earvin “Magic” Johnson was the complete basketball player. A point guard in a power forward's body (6' 9”), Johnson could due things with a basketball that blew the minds of fans and fellow players alike. He not only played the game with exceptional skill, but also with a passion that few in any sport can match.

Johnson was born on August 14, 1959 in Lansing, Michigan. From almost the beginning he showed talent and a great love for basketball. He rarely went anywhere without his basketball, even to bed. He played high school basketball at Everett High School, and at the age of only fifteen posted his first triple-double: 36 points, 16 rebounds, and 16 assists. It was after this performance that a sports writer first dubbed Johnson “Magic.” The appropriate nickname stuck with him for the rest of his career. He finished his high school career strongly, averaging 28.8 points and 16.8 rebounds per game as a senior.

Desiring to stay close to home, Johnson decided to attend and play basketball at Michigan State University. At the start, Johnson's focus was not on basketball; he wanted to graduate and become a television commentator. However, Johnson turned out to be “Magic” once again, this time at the college level. As a freshman in 1977-78, he helped lead the Spartans to the Big Ten Conference title by averaging 17 points, 7.9 rebounds, and 7.4 assists per game. Johnson put up nearly identical numbers the following year (17.1 points, 8.4 assists, 7.3 rebounds per game), but this time the Spartans went to the NCAA Finals. This game was the start to one of the greatest and most storied rivalries in sports. In the 1979 championship game, Johnson faced Larry Bird for the first time. Johnson and the Spartans beat Bird and Indiana State to win the championship in 1979, but the rivalry of Magic versus Bird continued into the NBA. The rivalry they and their teams had during the '80s in the NBA is considered by some to be the greatest rivalry in sports history.

Johnson decided to leave Michigan State after only two years and entered the 1979 NBA Draft. He was drafted first overall by the Los Angeles Lakers, and he spent his entire professional career playing in L.A. He enjoyed an outstanding rookie campaign, averaging 18 points, 7.7 rebounds, and 7.3 assists per game. He was named a starter on the All-Star team, but the Rookie of the Year award went to Larry Bird. However, Johnson helped lead the Lakers to the 1980 NBA Finals where they defeated the Philadelphia 76ers, and Johnson was named Finals MVP. The next eleven years passed by for Johnson in a flurry of championships, All-Star games, triple-doubles, and no-look passes. He established himself as one of the best players in the NBA with his trademark awe-inspiring passing ability, a genuine passion for the game, and an infectious smile that could light up an arena. He led the Lakers to win five NBA championships (1980, 1982, 1985, 1987-88), was named Finals MVP three times (1980, 1982, 1987), was named NBA MVP three times (1987, 1989-90), averaged over 10 assists per game from 1982-91, averaged at least six rebounds per game 10 times, and amassed 138 triple-doubles.

Disaster struck in 1991 when Johnson announced the he had contracted HIV and he was immediately retiring. Despite the overall shock and disappointment, Johnson was still voted into the 1992 All-Star Game. He decided to return and play in the game, and he silenced his doubters by leading his team (the West) to victory and earning MVP honors. Johnson also went on to play for the 1992 U.S. Olympic Men's basketball team, helping the team capture the gold medal. This was the last basketball Johnson would play until he decided to make a comeback with the Lakers during the 1995-96 season. He had bulked up to 255 pounds and left his customary position of PG to play power forward (PF). He averaged 14.6 points, 6.9 assists, and 5.7 rebounds per game during the final 32 games of the season. He retired for the second – and last – time after the Lakers were ousted in the first round of the playoffs. Johnson finished his career with averages of 19.5 points, 11.2 assists, and 7.2 rebounds per game. He was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002.

Career Highlights, Awards, and Accolades:
•Recorded a triple-double in high school at age 15: 36 points, 16 rebounds, 16 assists.
•Won a state title with Everett High School.
•Led Michigan State to a National title in 1979.
•Named to NBA All-Rookie Team in 1979-80.
•Twelve-time NBA All-Star: 1979-80 and 1981-92.
•Two-time All-Star Game MVP: 1989-90 and 1991-92.
•Five-time NBA champion: 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, and 1988.
•Three-time Finals MVP: 1980, 1982, and 1987.
•Three-time NBA MVP: 1986-87, 1988-89, and 1989-90.
•Nine-time All-NBA First Team: 1983-91.
•Led NBA in assists per game four times: 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86, and 1986-1987.
•Led NBA in steals per game two times: 1980-81 and 1981-82.
•Ranks third all-time in NBA history with 10,141 career assists.
•Ranks first all-time in NBA history with a career 11.2 assists per game average.
•Ranks first all-time in NBA playoff history with 2,346 career assists.
•Ranks second all-time in NBA history with 138 career triple-doubles.
•Won a gold medal with the U.S. Men's basketball team, the "Dream Team," at the 1992 Olympic Games.
•Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996.
•Elected to Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002.

cheezinmypocket
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Congrats sir, after 38 posts, you've already made a sig!

:bow:

Thank you.

kingjak
02-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Based on what we see in the NBA now is a bunch of hybrid guys who dominate the ball on many teams a point guard isnt really needed like the lakers and cleveland. But as for one player I think so, his name Lebron James because his game would allow him to move down to that position if he went to a team or his team acquired a player that plays the same position as him he could easily be the facilitator, it would actually fit him better.

ThE TrUtH 7
02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
yes MAGIC was the man but lets face it being 6'9" in todays era is absurd the speed the shiftyness the ankle braking moves , if your that tall ur going to be a step or two slower! as much as i love magic i have to say that he would have trouble guarding a dwayne wade a chris paul and hell even a rajon rondo theses kids are insane now day with speed and hops!! its a different game of basketball now, and anyone from the past would have a hell of a time keeping up with half the all-stars we have today. therefore i think that magic was in the right place and the right time to be 6'9" and a point guard and thats not taking anything away from the man , just saying wow how the game has changed!!

Giantwarrior
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
probably, the NBA game is evolving. you never know what the future is going to bring. you can never say never. just think about the NBA 50 years ago and the present time. players are faster and more athletic.

Lebron is a good example of a player changing the game. he's a fast powerful small forward with a PF body and the shooting touch of a SG. If Dwight Howard can polish his game and figure out his talents he will be the most dominate player in the league.

in 20 years, you will see the Center position change the most. you wont see bangers like Shaq anymore. its going to evolve and change. you will see a center 7 ft. tall with low post moves, the quickness of a forward, and have the range to the 3 point line.

Ray_R
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Magic did have to retire early, if he could have won 1 or 2 more rings, he would be the best player of all time. Magic ran the best team in the History of the NBA. Magic filled in for Kareem at center in the Finals and dropped 40 plus points. Too bad he had to retire.

so then doesnt that make Bill Russell The best

bagwell368
02-06-2010, 12:52 PM
so then doesnt that make Bill Russell The best

I'm probably the sole person on this board that saw Bill Russell play live and on live on TV - before he was a Coach! He was a great winner, he did what had to be done, and he was surrounded by great talent year in and year out. I'm a huge Celts fan too.

He is not the greatest ever, his offense was far too elemental. He's not even the best Center ever. I have room for him as a defensive end of the bench guy, but he couldn't carry Hakeem's jock. Jabbar, Shaq, Walton at peak were far more valuable. I doubt BR could contend with a prime KG or Duncan either. I doubt he could have stopped McHale in the mid 80's before his foot KO'd him either.

Myths are great, but, too much heft is given over to this one. The guy played with 1-2 starters for the Eastern Division All Star team just about every year.

And Larry Bird, not Bill Russell is the greatest Celtic of all time.

NiTEFuRY
02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
...and just like that LeBron (6'8") started at PG...

phillyeaglesman
02-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Will there ever be a 6' 9 point guard that is good as Magic Johnson? He sure was an anomaly.

There may be people down the road (like Sun Yue) who are around 6'9'' and think they can play PG, but none of them will ever compare to Magic Johnson. Magic was one of a kind. No one will ever play the PG position like he did at his height. EVER. For a guy his height to have to passing and running ability, vision and just overall knowledge of the game is just mind-boggling.

I just finished reading Jackie MacMullan's book on Bird and Magic called "When The Game Was Ours". If you haven't read it I STRONGLY recommend it. I'm kind of gonna go off-topic here, but I just gotta say it: basketball's best years are behind us-- the NBA hit its peak in the '80s and early '90s. It's taken a huge turn for the worse since then, and IMO at least it is a real shame to see everything that Magic and Larry helped save is going to waste. I don't find any honor in the game anymore. Magic and Larry were unbelievable to me-- they had the ability to score any time they wanted but they always chose what was best for the team. If that meant passing to someone in better position to score, diving for a loose ball, getting in someone's face after they made a mistake, forcing their teammates to play at the same intensity they played at, and i mean EVERY game not just the playoffs.

And as much as people love Lebron and Kobe and D-Wade and Carmelo, NONE, and i mean NONE, of them have the same passion, the same work ethic, the same selflessness that Magic and Larry brought to the NBA. There was no showing off with Magic and Larry. They knew how great they were and that was enough for them, as it should be. There was no need for them to pump their chest or scream "and one!" or complain to the ref after every play because they thought they were fouled. Sure there was trash talkin, but it wasn't like the ******** trash talkin there is today.

Bottom line, players today just don't get it. IMHO, the NBA lived and died with Magic, Larry, and Jordan.

the unknown
02-06-2010, 01:54 PM
i always heard magic was really like 6'7" and Lebron is basically what Magic was but with more athletism.. he was a pg his rookie year.. all tall guys like that run the offensive through them but arent really poiunt guards..

joe Johnson is a sg who plays like a pg
Hedo turkaglu
lebron
boris diaw
tyreke even is a legit 6'6" and will prob be a sg becuase of height

nalej85
02-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Saying there will never be a calibre player such as Magic Johnson is like saying there will never be a calibre player like Mike. Magic Johnson was a rare combination though. Penny Hardaway was deemed the next Magic. Shaun Livingston also was undeservingly given that title.

On another note, I think Lamar Odom has the best ball handling and passing skills for a big man since Magic. I admit he is no Magic, but I think Lakers would actually benefit starting him at PG. He averages 10-10-4 off the bench and is amazing to watch during Lakers' fastbreaks. It would also allow more bench minutes for Farmar,Brown,Powell,Morrison,Vujacic and Walton. What do you guys think?