PDA

View Full Version : Should Rubio be allowed in the NBA?

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I have no allegiance to Minnesota (Bulls fan here), but it is my feeling that if a guy enters the draft and doesnt play for the team he is drafted by, he should no longer be allowed in the NBA. The only exception would be if the team drafting him is able to pull off a trade. I hate how a player can completely screw a team, with little ramifications. The NBA does not need Ricky Rubio, or any other single individual. Thoughts?

montazingmvp
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
I have no allegiance to Minnesota (Bulls fan here), but it is my feeling that if a guy enters the draft and doesnt play for the team he is drafted by, he should no longer be allowed in the NBA. The only exception would be if the team drafting him is able to pull off a trade. I hate how a player can completely screw a team, with little ramifications. The NBA does not need Ricky Rubio, or any other single individual. Thoughts?

ignorant to rubios situation eh?

he would be playing in the nba right now, if he wasn't losing millions for doing so...

igPay atinLay
02-04-2010, 07:44 PM
The United States has laws that say you cannot limit the amount of money someone can make, its a nation built on the premise of being able to achieve anything you want and can within the context of the law, it is called the land of opportunity, and it is a capitilistic society.

Doing what you are suggesting is against so many of the things this country was built on and freedoms that allow people to speak there mind and achieve many things. If people felt like punishing people the way your are talking about 100 years ago we wouldn't have airplanes, cell phones, microwaves, helicopters, etc... These freedoms and values mean something to me and I would never take an opportunity away from someone that has done nothing to violate the law.

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
ignorant to rubios situation eh?

he would be playing in the nba right now, if he wasn't losing millions for doing so...

I understand the financial implications. What is the point of even entering the draft then? Do you not think that if the Knicks had been able to draft him, he wouldnt have signed right away?

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
igPay- Privately owned companies can use different guidlines as criteria for hiring someone. Your points in the second paragraph dont really apply to this situation. He isnt a US citizen. he is not producing anything for society. If those rules were set in place he simply wouldnt have entered the draft untill he knew that he wanted to play in the NBA, not for certain teams in the NBA. NBA salaries are slotted. Based on projections, a top 10 pick can figure out a range of how much they can expect to make. You could eventually have a situation where top european players come to the NBA (this could even happen with US players), state their intentions of only playing for certain clubs, and leave if they arent drafted by those clubs. After a while teams in certain markets get scared off and certain clubs keep getting richer. I dont see this as a good thing. Comparing the invention of the airplane to allowing a player to hop in and out of the draft untill they get picked by a team they want is ridiculous.

MiamiHeat
02-04-2010, 07:47 PM
wtf....:pity:

yes he should be allowed in the NBA.

azkarraga
02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
The United States has laws that say you cannot limit the amount of money someone can make, its a nation built on the premise of being able to achieve anything you want and can within the context of the law, it is called the land of opportunity, and it is a capitilistic society.

Doing what you are suggesting is against so many of the things this country was built on and freedoms that allow people to speak there mind and achieve many things. If people felt like punishing people the way your are talking about 100 years ago we wouldn't have airplanes, cell phones, microwaves, helicopters, etc... These freedoms and values mean something to me and I would never take an opportunity away from someone that has done nothing to violate the law.

Wow. Best answer ever.

And yes, he'd be playing in NY. But because of the endorsments. It's not a matter of teams or big markets; it's a matter of money. Of losing money.

Raph12
02-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes

JerzeyFresh
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah Rubio has Nash potential in the NBA

PurpleJesus
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Rubio isnt screwing over the wolves, the wolves are waiting patiently for him right now...Rubio has never said he wont play for minnesota, in fact, he said he wants to play for Mn when he is able to come over...Rubio changed his mind on coming to the NBA after he didnt go top two, if he went top two, he would make enough to pay his buyout. He got bad advice from people in his camp and entered the draft believing he was a shoe-in to go top 2

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Here is a post that is going to rock all of your worlds. To be honest, I posted this before reading very much about the Rubio situation and having a misconception about Rubio having a bigger role in the decision. I think montazingMVP hit the nail on the head in his first response. I am now going to crawl shamefully back to Smurf Village and wait to be eaten by that fat cat, Gargamel.

Smurf 2 Everyone else in this thread 23 Smurf is blown out and laughed at by the fans.

WoodbridgeSkins
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM
No, we need to set an example for the future. When you declare yourself eligible for the draft, you better suit the **** up!

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah Rubio has Nash potential in the NBA

He wont win two mvps imo, therefore, he aint nash.

TheWatcher34
02-04-2010, 08:04 PM
europe needs Rubio.

albertc86
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
No. He's doing quite well making the Harry Potter movies.

HoopsDrive
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Alright Smurf, tell me where you make your cameo appearance in Avatar.

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I still think the invention of airplanes analogy was more foolish than anything I posted.

jeter 2
02-04-2010, 08:29 PM
European players do this all the time. They get drafted, play a couple years in Europe and then come here.

runforrestrunx9
02-04-2010, 08:37 PM
i dont see why not

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I guess my whole problem with the thing was the fact that I believe he never, at any time, had an intention of playing for Minnesota. I think, with certain teams, Rubio iwould have been in uniform this year. I got no problem with a player waiting to come, I just think his whole entry into the draft was a sham. I still think I was wrong in saying he shouldnt be allowed back, but the whole thing rubs me the wrong way.

ManRam
02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Minnesota knew what they were getting when they drafted him. Of course he should be allowed to play in the NBA. I don't really get why not.

WSU Tony
02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Some of you are so ignorant to the Rubio situation.

Seriously.

td0tsfinest
02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
If he was a free agent you could make the case. But rubio was signed to a team and that team had a huge buyout deal (the nba can only pay $500 K towards a buyout). In the end FC Barc stepped in, bought out his contract, end of story.

The NBA is suppose to be the league where the best players in the league play. It'd be kind of weird if you start banning people from the league. NBA is not PSD man.

Sportfan
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Marc Gasol, was drafted by the Lakers and stayed in Europe for a year before coming over.

magichatnumber9
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
This whole thing is partially the NBA's fault. How are you gonna let someone in the draft when they are under contract with another professional team? STUPID

JWO35
02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Its not Rubio's fault(well it kinda is) but he said he wanted to play in a big market and Minnesota was stupid enough to draft him...last time I checked no one's buying one-way tickets to Minnesota.

The point is, if you draft someone you better make sure they want to play for you and your organization

The Smurf
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Its not Rubio's fault(well it kinda is) but he said he wanted to play in a big market and Minnesota was stupid enough to draft him...last time I checked no one's buying one-way tickets to Minnesota.

The point is, if you draft someone you better make sure they want to play for you and your organization

this is where my issues lye. Players could continuously do this. I do agree that Minnesota was foolish, but if he were drafted by the Knicks he would be playing here this year. I do not know enough about how deals work with overseas teams, but I do know that if Rubio were a Knick he would be playing this year.

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I understand yoru empathy for the T-Wolves, but the situation is not Rubio's fault.

The NBA has salary-cap rules regarding rookies and how much teams are allowed to pay teams outside of the NBA for a buy-out. The T-Wolves knew this when they drafted him which is why they drafted another point guard.

Grim Reaper
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM

I believe Minnesota owns the rights to Ricky Rubio. Every draft there's probably 5 players who get drafted and decide to go back to Europe for a few years to tighten their games up before they sign with the team who drafted them. He will have to sign with Minnesota unless they trade his rights to another team I believe. This has been happening for as long as I can remember and Rubio really isn't doing anything wrong so, they can't blackball him from the NBA.

Hugbees
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Do you know what the salary cap is?... It does exactly that.

mikantsass
02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I absolutley cannot stand Rubio and think he will be hot garbage in the NBA.... with that being said, he absolutely should be allowed in the NBA, if he can make a team that is.

Grim Reaper
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM

WTF do microwaves and airplanes have to do with anything?

Hawkeye15
02-05-2010, 12:17 AM
huh

igPay atinLay
02-05-2010, 12:27 AM
WTF do microwaves and airplanes have to do with anything?

Its about certain values and attributes that allow things to be created and my post was about the values and attributes. I thought more people would understand it and be able to read and be able to see meaning beyond just the actual words I used.

From now on I think I may need to not assume people are going to be able to think on a higher level and will actual be able to interpret. No offense intended with this statement.

vash9
02-05-2010, 01:06 AM
maybe i'm ignorant to the Rubio situation, but he shouldn't be banned or not allowed.

and by ignorant to his situation, i mean i have no clue why he backed out, etc.

ldc62
02-05-2010, 01:23 AM
I hate Rubio... but not letting him play in the NBA would be ridiculous. Number 1: He is going to loses more money if he plays this year (still has a contract in Europe). Number 2: Kahn is an idiot for drafting 2 PGs. Thats almost like a slap in the face to Rubio. Hes was considered a franchise PG, what was the point of drafting another PG right after? Number 3: Minnesota is not the best place to live. Number 4: Not letting him play would screw the Wolves up even more.

NiTEFuRY
02-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Yes he should be allowed to play in the NBA - but I ABSOLUTELY see your point. Why put yourself in the draft if you cannot play. If the team tells you to go overseas for a year and pays for everything thats a different story.

If you need to be bought out to come over here, you should have that taken care of prior to the draft. Otherwise, come to the draft when you are able to play for the team that chooses you.

boeknows
02-05-2010, 01:57 AM
I hate Rubio... but not letting him play in the NBA would be ridiculous. Number 1: He is going to loses more money if he plays this year (still has a contract in Europe). Number 2: Kahn is an idiot for drafting 2 PGs. Thats almost like a slap in the face to Rubio. Hes was considered a franchise PG, what was the point of drafting another PG right after? Number 3: Minnesota is not the best place to live. Number 4: Not letting him play would screw the Wolves up even more.

And why is that?

joe j.09
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
Wolves fans are NUTS if they think rubio will play for them in 2 years....

Fireworld
02-05-2010, 02:20 AM
No, just cause he doesn't wanna play for the Wolves, he shouldn't be able to decide where he wants to play or when. BAN.

Evolution23
02-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Ball

Hellcrooner
02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok lets do it , ban rubio who had a contract he couldnt break.

Now someone can tell me if thy would have posted a thrad like this in 1978?

SHould the league ban Larry Bird? he entere the draft and then he decided on his own will to go back to ncaa one more year if he didnt want to ply he shoud ahve not entered!!!!!

fast forward 1988.

Ban David Robinson!!!!! he wil not report !!!! he is joining the Navy!!!!!!!

In both this cases it was way worse because Birand Robinson since they had not signed a pro contrct COULD have been selected again the folowing year, go figure.

Skylander14
02-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I understand the arguement the smurf is trying to make and find myself agreeing with it and I understand the rubio situation, he wanted to play for a huge market it wasn't bout money because just before he signed with barcelona the wolves had an agreement to lower the amount rubio had to pay and after that he said he wasn't ready. he is trying to force his way to a big market. I really don't care too much though cuz I don't think he is gonna be all that great but it is a bad precedent starting in the NBA. Fran Vazquez anyone?

THE CARGINATOR
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Yes....so he can find out how much he blows!

AI4MVP
02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
the maker of this thread is a ****ing ****** ad doesnt know his ****.

suhd the nba kick out ginobili? rudy ferenandez? marc gasol? luis scola? and many other players that didnt come straight to the nba after being drafted? it was a financial situation. get the **** over it. the kid will be dimin' against ur teams in two years. chill out

Jays Claw
02-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Ricky Rubio should be allowed into the NBA.

WSU Tony
02-06-2010, 01:21 AM
You guys realize 15+ people get drafted every year and play over seas, right? Rubios one of the only which was talented enough to go top 5 which is why you actually know of him. If he didn't go top 5, you wouldn't be complaining.

Hellcrooner
02-06-2010, 09:51 AM
^ as i said David RObinson pick 1 and Larry Bird pick 6.

but oh well they are american so no problem. :p

CowboysKB24
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM
What happens to Minnesota? He didn't sign so they just wasted a pick?

igPay atinLay
02-06-2010, 12:20 PM
What happens to Minnesota? He didn't sign so they just wasted a pick?

They own his rights so when and if he decides to come to the league then is his property of the Timberwolves, at least that is what I seem to remember hearing after the draft last year.

NastyRud
02-06-2010, 01:39 PM
the maker of this thread is a ****ing ****** ad doesnt know his ****.

suhd the nba kick out ginobili? rudy ferenandez? marc gasol? luis scola? and many other players that didnt come straight to the nba after being drafted? it was a financial situation. get the **** over it. the kid will be dimin' against ur teams in two years. chill out

Dude, there's no reason post like that. Smurf already admitted that he didn't know the details about Rubio's situation and stated he shouldn't have posted like he did.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Rubio will be a bust!

he would be a better version of sebastian telfair

xbrackattackx
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Sure.