PDA

View Full Version : Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf: “After the anthem fiasco, no team wanted to touch me”

Mile High Champ
02-04-2010, 07:29 PM
What are the best memories of your time in the NBA?

MAR: When I was getting minutes (laughs). When I was playing. We have a great run in Denver. In Denver, I spent six years and I had great teammates, man. LaPhonso Ellis, Dikembe Mutombo, Dale Ellis, Bryant Stith… A lot of guys came through and we had three years straight when we were able to go to the playoffs and beat the No. 1 seed Seattle SuperSonics in the first round, or take the Utah Jazz to Game 5 in Utah. Those were the highlights for me.

What do you think is the perception NBA fans have of you after all the controversy about the anthem?

MAR: You’re gonna have people that focus on the basketball aspect and appreciate my abilities and you’re going to have some that focus on what they perceive is the negative – the national anthem, the interviews and anything I did that didn’t coincide with their views. For me, really, I don’t care about that. As long as I can I can say I went out and did the best I could and stayed true to my heart and my conscience, that’s something I can deal with.

But I will tell you this… When I’m on the streets, it’s a difference from what the media says as far as me being a troublemaker because of the anthem. When I’m walking on the streets, the response I get is different. When it’s all said and done, people on the street know or got a sense about how certain people are. And I get a lot of people that come to me and say, “Man, you had a lot of game” or “You could play” or “Man, they gave you a raw deal” or “Thank you for doing what you did and standing up!” I get that a lot more than the negative. At the end of the day, people are going to have their opinions. You know what they say about opinions? (laughs) It’s like a-holes, everybody’s got one.

What happened in the offseason of 1998-99? Did you receive offers to keep on playing in the NBA?

MAR: Oooh, man, that’s a long, long time. I will tell you this… After the national anthem fiasco, nobody really wanted to touch me. Then there was the HBO interview with Bryant Gumbel. After that, it was like it killed everything. Because that was after September 11. I could not even get an invitation to go try out with a team. I just laid low, stayed at home, spent more time with my family, trying to do things in the community and see if eventually I could get back into it. At the end, I said… Man, I still have a love for this thing and there’s got to be somebody out there that wants to give me a chance to play. And that’s why I have been overseas and have been ever since.

Would you do anything differently if you could go back in time?

MAR: To me, it is what it is. And as long as whatever I’m going through, if it can make me a better person, I wouldn’t change it. Because I went through if for a reason – to get where I’m at now. I wouldn’t change anything. I think I’ve become a better person because of it.

How did you make your mind one day that you were not going to stand during the national anthem?

MAR: That was gradual process. It came through my reading. I began to read more, I began to think about issues more. And the more I read and the more I thought, I said… What am I doing this? I don’t want to be like some type of robot, just doing things because other people are doing it. I began to question, why am I doing what I do? Do I believe that this is the right thing to do? So I came to this decision. I said, “No.” There were a lot of things that I disagree with and if I’m going to be true to myself, I have to begin to act like it and not just talk about it. That’s what brought me to that point of not standing.

It was something that was gradual and it was never meant to bring attention to myself. I did it for like three or four months before anobody even knew I was doing it. If I wanted to bring attention to myself, I wouldn’t have come out or I would have put myself in the middle of the floor. But I never did that because it was something that I was dealing with internally.

Were your teammates supportive?

MAR: My teammates were very supportive. Actually, the night that they suspended me, Dale Ellis did exactly what I did in protest. Silent protest. Even Dikembe was like, “He’s been doing this for months and he hasn’t been bothering anybody! Why do you make a big deal out of it?” They respected my decision because they knew me as a person. I’m not trying to cause problems. But hey, I’m going to follow my heart and my conscience. I’m like, if it’s wrong and that’s the way I see it… I can’t sleep! Because it’s on my conscience so much and I need to get this thing off my chest. You want to think that people are able to take some constructive criticism. But if they can’t take it, and it hurts me in the long run in terms of not being able to get a job, I still say, “OK.” It is what it is.

What is home to you now? Where are you going when the season finishes in Japan?

MAR: I go to Atlanta, Georgia now.

I read you were living in Mississippi, but you left because it got to the point that it wasn’t safe. Is that right?

MAR: I spent maybe five years or so in Mississippi trying to do things. Mississippi is a different monster. From minimum wage, education, health care… It’s always like on the bottom of the list in America. It’s real backwards. And I got children to think of. I’ve been there for five years. I was like, I can’t keep spending all of my money hoping people are going to change. I gotta go some place I think it’s better for my family. That’s one of the reasons I left. Also, my house was burned to the ground when I was there. Some suspect it was the Ku Klux Klan maybe because there was some Ku Klux Klan insignia that was left there when the house burned down. So when those things began to happen, I said… It didn’t work for my family here. Let me get on that hill. Y’all can have Mississippi (laughs). I’ma go somewhere else.

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/02/04/mahmoud-abdul-rauf-after-the-anthem-fiasco-no-team-wanted-to-touch-me/

I bolded the interesting interview questions and also highlighted the response MAR gave. Really good interview and very interesting.

MTar786
02-04-2010, 07:42 PM
he had game. i remember him

Raps18-19 Champ
02-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Why not let him just sit?

Why make someone force to stand?

It wasn't like he was disrupting anyone. He was just minding his own business. If he doesn't believe in that, let him do whatever he wants as long as he isn't bothering anyone.

carson005
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
This is kind of related to the topic, but do international players have to stand as well? Seems kind of stupid if they do

Mile High Champ
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
This is kind of related to the topic, but do international players have to stand as well? Seems kind of stupid if they do

Not sure to be honest, but I dont know anyone that does not stand.. Would be frowned upon, thats for sure.

Love the sig by the way.

PHX2daDEATH
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM
the guy could shoot i know that much

BHF
02-04-2010, 08:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-w3vbrj7KQ&feature=related

3RDASYSTEM
02-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Another case of blackball like they did C.HODGES and almost tried to do AI, and i dont care what nobody say cuz if KOBE/LEBRON would have been traded to DET and told they would only shoot 12xper game by the captain RIP HAMILTON how effective would they be? everybody/MEDIA took this AI killed DET thing and ran with it, not one time did anyone say they had been to like 6/7 strait ECF and 2 FINALS app. so just through watchin the game and knowing how it goes DET was bound to fall off, but lets just blame AI cuz he was like the most unstoppable force the league had ever seen since MJ/SHAQ...at 5''9/10 ...but MAR was the truth, hell he was basically AI before AI....he could drop 40/50 any nite and he had a flame for a J/3SHOT

KG2TB
02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah Rauf was the ****. People need to calm down with the anthem issue. Calm...down...

td0tsfinest
02-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Didn't even know about this until now. I think was 6 when this entire thing happened.

ko8e24
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Another case of blackball like they did C.HODGES and almost tried to do AI, and i dont care what nobody say cuz if KOBE/LEBRON would have been traded to DET and told they would only shoot 12xper game by the captain RIP HAMILTON how effective would they be? everybody/MEDIA took this AI killed DET thing and ran with it, not one time did anyone say they had been to like 6/7 strait ECF and 2 FINALS app. so just through watchin the game and knowing how it goes DET was bound to fall off, but lets just blame AI cuz he was like the most unstoppable force the league had ever seen since MJ/SHAQ...at 5''9/10 ...but MAR was the truth, hell he was basically AI before AI....he could drop 40/50 any nite and he had a flame for a J/3SHOT

:confused:

What's goin on here. How did Rauf become a Shaq, Ai, Kobe, MJ, LeBron, Kobe, Rip Hamilton thread.

wtf?

_KB24_
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I remember this happening. The guy could flat out play. He wasn't bothering anyone, but people just had to make a big issue out of it. Fox News blowed it up so much, it was not even funny. This and the 93' riots, stopped me from watching Fox News ever again.

I feel really bad for the guy. He had his house burned down, and was literally chased away from his own town. He was a great, great player, who got a raw deal. BS

runforrestrunx9
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Carson005, sick sig man!

thedfactor
02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/i/mag/2008issues/072808/gallery9.jpg

JasonJohnHorn
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
M-A-R (aka Chris Jackson) was a solid player. He gave up some size, even at point guard, but he could play. He was a solid shooter, though his FG% was a little low, his FT% was sick and his 3P% was solid too.

As for the "anthem" issue. I was following the league and don't even remember hearing it. Its a shame people make an issue out of it. Kids at school don't have to stand for it, people in the audience are often leaving it as a chance to grab a beer and fans don't even respect it sometimes (Knicks fans booed during the Canadian anthem when they played and lost to the Raptors in the first round of the NBA playoffs).

I'm not sure the "anthem' thing was the issue. M-A-R was a small guy who depended on speed, but the only season he really played like a true point guard was 95/96. Other seasons leading up to that one he was more of a scoring point guard with average assist numbers and unimpressive assist-to-turnover ratio. That season he was over six assists a game and had his best assist-to-steals ratio. But he was injured part of that season, and when he came back the next year it was with the Kings and he was splitting minutes with Tyus Edney who the Kings draft pick that year. Then there was another injury, lower numbers and then people were hesitant about signing him because of injuries and the fact he had been a score-first point guard who'd only ever put up more than 4.5 assists once (and only over four three times).

I liked the guy, but I think teams being hesitant about bringing him in had more to do with basketball than politics.

sciferguy
02-05-2010, 03:57 AM

They do it out of respect for being allowed to be in this GREAT country and make the kind of money they wouldn't see anywhere else in the world. MAR was living the AMERICAN dream until he decided he wanted to disrespect the country that was making him money. I bet he now stands up for the Japanese national anthem haha

Mile High Champ
02-05-2010, 01:16 PM
They do it out of respect for being allowed to be in this GREAT country and make the kind of money they wouldn't see anywhere else in the world. MAR was living the AMERICAN dream until he decided he wanted to disrespect the country that was making him money. I bet he now stands up for the Japanese national anthem haha

Take the American Patriotism a step down there buddy..

69centers
02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
He was just a little out of the ordinary and wasn't widely accepted. He had the anthem episode, and I believe he also had Tourette's syndrome. He seemed introverted and kept to himself, and that made him an odd man out, I guess. I like him and liked the Nuggets teams he was on. Whenever he got fouled you knew it was an automatic 2 points. Loved seeing them knock off the Sonics that year. It's too bad, because after the anthem thing and when he left the Nuggets, he was basically never heard from again, even though he played briefly on other teams.

DaBUU
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM

So the Kaner likes him some fatties, we've all been there.

And death to anyone who hates America!

BHF
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm: WOW and one more :facepalm:

SeoulBeatz
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I remember this happening. The guy could flat out play. He wasn't bothering anyone, but people just had to make a big issue out of it. Fox News blowed it up so much, it was not even funny. This and the 93' riots, stopped me from watching Fox News ever again.

I feel really bad for the guy. He had his house burned down, and was literally chased away from his own town. He was a great, great player, who got a raw deal. BS

haha dude Fox News is a racist joke. Nothing but right wing propaganda on that channel and the people who watch it are certainly the people who would take offense to someone not rising during the national anthem. I personally could care less and think its tragic that his nba career had to end that way just because of his beliefs and NAME pretty much.

IRUAM #21
02-05-2010, 02:03 PM

:facepalm:

rhymeratic
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm 25 and I remember him from back in the day. They guy was OK. He was NOT a top 20 player etc. He was kinda like a Jason Terry/Monta Ellis type but more of a shooter but shot a lower percentage.

What's done is done. He wasn't in the league not so much because of the anthem issue but more his skills WERE on the decline & he was a liability on defense. Think A.I. today.

miikex1
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
i dont feel bad for him at all.... this is the United States of America and if you are living here and earning a solid paycheck at the expense of Americans you better show your respect or GTFO of the country!!!! and thats what he did.

IRUAM #21
02-05-2010, 02:08 PM
i dont feel bad for him at all.... this is the United States of America and if you are living here and earning a solid paycheck at the expense of Americans you better show your respect or GTFO of the country!!!! and thats what he did.

arkanian215
02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/2010/02/04/mahmoud-abdul-rauf-after-the-anthem-fiasco-no-team-wanted-to-touch-me/

I bolded the interesting interview questions and also highlighted the response MAR gave. Really good interview and very interesting.

Supposedly during the 1/29 game against the Wizards, Yi was climbing the net during the anthem.
Some of the Nets fans have taken exception to what he was doing since it seemed disrespectful to them.

Draco
02-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Take the American Patriotism a step down there buddy..

Or Mar could have taken the religious nonsense a step down.. Muslim religious practice is incompatible with standing for the national anthem? It's unfortunate for him that he made that decision around 9/11..

sugarrayray
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
That's a bunch of b.s. what they did to him. But I think that was before kids could opt to not stand in school during the pledge. Now it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

sugarrayray
02-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Wow......I'm speechless.

Mile High Champ
02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Or Mar could have taken the religious nonsense a step down.. Muslim religious practice is incompatible with standing for the national anthem? It's unfortunate for him that he made that decision around 9/11..

He made it before 9/11. I dont buy all the crap that you have to be what a patriotic American wants you to be. He had his reasons for doing it, he made a decision which was about his own ideals. Its not like he did not stand for the anthem because he was bored or thought it was useless. He said he found standing for the anthem unacceptable to his religious beliefs and he said that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the country had a long history of tyranny. I see a reason there..

Draco
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
He made it before 9/11. I dont buy all the crap that you have to be what a patriotic American wants you to be. He had his reasons for doing it, he made a decision which was about his own ideals. Its not like he did not stand for the anthem because he was bored or thought it was useless. He said he found standing for the anthem unacceptable to his religious beliefs and he said that the flag was a symbol of oppression and that the country had a long history of tyranny. I see a reason there..

Right well.. you're a Canadian and you're entitled to think whatever you like about what you think it means to be a patriotic American. I also don't see a problem with Mar's decision... he made his bed and laid in it. Nuff said.

sep11ie
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
You make American money then stand for our anthem. Either that or go eat sand with the rest of the USA haters.

OrderOfCook
02-05-2010, 04:01 PM
He was right to do what he did, and should be admired for standing up for his beliefs (pun intended). It surprises Americans, for whatever reason, but the USA is and always will be thought of as a tyrannical force in the world until its now crumbling grip on the world is loosed. That a player chose not to stand up for the national anthem of a country that he feels has oppressed his people for centuries does not make him unpatriotic--indeed it is that very resilience to the normative value constructs that make him patriotic. Americans who say "takin' our money? then stfu up and stand or get out of our country" simply don't know their own history. The entire meaningful history of the USA is about people doing precisely what Chris Jackson did, not for people putting up more flags and becoming more and more ignorant about the world at large.

oak2455
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
haha dude Fox News is a racist joke. Nothing but right wing propaganda on that channel and the people who watch it are certainly the people who would take offense to someone not rising during the national anthem. I personally could care less and think its tragic that his nba career had to end that way just because of his beliefs and NAME pretty much.

Fox News is racist?? where do you get you great facts from? Btw if he didnt stand for the anthem thats his belief my belief is if you live here you should respect our beliefs its a anthem I'm pretty sure it wont cripple you in any way:D Its for the respect for this country and what people have done for our proud country the problem is there are too many people who dont respect where they live.....if thats the case leave :D

OrderOfCook
02-05-2010, 04:11 PM
And Oak comes in a proves my point.

kjoke
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
do what you want...

sep11ie
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Fox News is racist?? where do you get you great facts from? Btw if he didnt stand for the anthem thats his belief my belief is if you live here you should respect our beliefs its a anthem I'm pretty sure it wont cripple you in any way:D Its for the respect for this country and what people have done for our proud country the problem is there are too many people who dont respect where they live.....if thats the case leave :D

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

miikex1
02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
You make American money then stand for our anthem. Either that or go eat sand with the rest of the USA haters.

x2

oak2455
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
And Oak comes in a proves my point.

If you dont like it here you can leave, no?? Am I saying something wrong, btw whats your sig???:confused:

oak2455
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Can you tell that girl to take that towel off??:eyebrow:

miikex1
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
sorry i love my country and anybody who does does not stand for our flag does not deserve to be in this great country. A country that allows him to make a lot of money playing a game. A country that allows him to openly express himself. I take this as disrespect and he does not deserve to play for a team.

OrderOfCook
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't have a sig, I find them annoying to scroll through as some get as lengthy as posts.

And as to what you proved, it is that so many American citizens accept the mindless drone philosophy that if you come to America you must adhere to the norms or get out. But throughout the progressive history of America it has been exactly the opposite that has proven positive for the US.

"Rosa Parks, if you don't like sitting on the back of the bus, get out of the south!" "If you don't like British taxes, get out of the colonies!" "If you don't want a white president, don't vote!"

That's the syllogism equivalent of what you're saying, though more pronounced.

Anyway, this is straying way off-topic. I just wanted to point out that Chris Jackson has as much right to do what he did as I had to wear a "Bush: International Terrorist" t-shirt during high-school. And what gives us that right? The constitution. Great. Back to the OT.

oak2455
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Your sig says sep11ie what does that mean??

TEXASTITAN
02-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Why not let him just sit?

Why make someone force to stand?

It wasn't like he was disrupting anyone. He was just minding his own business. If he doesn't believe in that, let him do whatever he wants as long as he isn't bothering anyone.

Because this is a free country to do what you want unless your an actor or an athlete or any figure in the public eye. And then freedom is a question of public perception and what they think you should do to be socially acceptable in todays society. It was right after 9/11 and the public sentiment was everyone with an arab sounding name was suspect or deemed socially unacceptable in american eyes and sadly he was a part of that.

SteveNash
02-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Chris Jackson is an idiot. If he wanted to speak out about oppression, why didn't he do something about the treatment of women in Islam?

sep11ie
02-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Your sig says sep11ie what does that mean??

My nickname is seppie, my softball number is 11.

S.J.Basketball
02-05-2010, 05:26 PM
**** him. He's earning millions playing a GAME in the U.S. and he wants to turn his back to the United States flag? You know what? He can turn his back to all the American money he made too. It has the U.S. written all over it and says In God We Trust.
It's truly a spit in the face to all the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice wearing this country's uniform. I'm glad he got black balled. What a ridiculous statement to even try to make. After reading the interview he just sounds like a huge ****ing idiot.

Mile High Champ
02-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Umm two words for you on the issue of fox news being a prejudice network....Bill O'Reilly .. Enough said, now back to the topic at hand.

Draco
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
He was right to do what he did, and should be admired for standing up for his beliefs (pun intended). It surprises Americans, for whatever reason, but the USA is and always will be thought of as a tyrannical force in the world until its now crumbling grip on the world is loosed. That a player chose not to stand up for the national anthem of a country that he feels has oppressed his people for centuries does not make him unpatriotic--indeed it is that very resilience to the normative value constructs that make him patriotic. Americans who say "takin' our money? then stfu up and stand or get out of our country" simply don't know their own history. The entire meaningful history of the USA is about people doing precisely what Chris Jackson did, not for people putting up more flags and becoming more and more ignorant about the world at large.

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf aka Chris Jackson was born in Gulfport, Mississippi. "His people" are Americans. "The entire meaningful history of the USA" is not limited to political protest and a belief that the USA is a tyrannical force in the world is not very patriotic.

Putting up flags and being ignorant about the world? Quite the opinion of American you've got there.. I'm pretty sure I've seen more of the world than you have.

JasonJohnHorn
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
**** him. He's earning millions playing a GAME in the U.S. and he wants to turn his back to the United States flag? You know what? He can turn his back to all the American money he made too. It has the U.S. written all over it and says In God We Trust.
It's truly a spit in the face to all the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice wearing this country's uniform. I'm glad he got black balled. What a ridiculous statement to even try to make. After reading the interview he just sounds like a huge ****ing idiot.

Enough with the patriotism. I'm getting here that you think black people should be jumping out of their seat to stand up for a country who's history includes slavery?

America is a free country, and allows freedom of religion and some religions don't endorse worshiping "false idols" (Christianity included), and some interpret standing for an anthem as such. So if somebody doesnt want to stand for it so what. And besides, Jackson was American. :facepalm:

S.J.Basketball
02-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Enough with the patriotism. I'm getting here that you think black people should be jumping out of their seat to stand up for a country who's history includes slavery?

America is a free country, and allows freedom of religion and some religions don't endorse worshiping "false idols" (Christianity included), and some interpret standing for an anthem as such. So if somebody doesnt want to stand for it so what. And besides, Jackson was American. :facepalm:

Sorry I don't see how you're worshipping a "false idol" by paying a moment of respect to the people that have come before us and died to make what our country is today. Like I said, it's a spit in the face to those very people.

And why shouldn't black people stand up for the flag? Are you an apologist? Everyone is given equal rights and we even have a president who is half black in the oval office. Let me know how lunch was with Michael Moore.

boriquaabe
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM

:facepalm:.

OrderOfCook
02-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf aka Chris Jackson was born in Gulfport, Mississippi. "His people" are Americans.[1] "The entire meaningful history of the USA" is not limited to political protest and a belief that the USA is a tyrannical force in the world is not very patriotic.[2]

Putting up flags and being ignorant about the world? Quite the opinion of American you've got there.. I'm pretty sure I've seen more of the world than you have. [3]

[1] So you're suggesting you have a better understanding of the alterity system that Chris Jackson held than he does?

[2] That's true, the political history of the United States includes much more than protests. It includes things like only allowing people who own property, are white and are male to vote. It includes slavery. It includes segregation. It includes a draft during the Vietnam fiasco. And in each of these cases, how did these things turn around and become more "progressive"? Because individuals took it upon themselves to make a stand, starting a social movement. Is it central to every major social, artistic and political movement in United States' history? No, of course not, I don't deal in absolutes like so many PSD posters.

[3] My opinion of American foreign policy, human rights record and civil rights abuses is much, much lower than I have alluded to here. And you are pretty sure you've seen more of the world than I have? What makes you think this? You know nothing about me, not my age, not where I live, not what I do for a living not what my interests are (beyond basketball and political history) or where my expertise lies. Oh, oh, oh, I know! I'm pretty sure that I've seen more of the world than you have. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, got him! U S A! U S A! U S A!

Anyone else?

gqmo16
02-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Chris Jackson is an idiot. If he wanted to speak out about oppression, why didn't he do something about the treatment of women in Islam?

i dunno where you get ur information from but if you look at the true teachings of islam, women are not oppressed by any means....idiot extremists and the media portray the role of a woman in islam in a very negative light when in fact this is far from the case if you look at what is truly preached

Draco
02-06-2010, 01:38 AM
[1] So you're suggesting you have a better understanding of the alterity system that Chris Jackson held than he does?

[2] That's true, the political history of the United States includes much more than protests. It includes things like only allowing people who own property, are white and are male to vote. It includes slavery. It includes segregation. It includes a draft during the Vietnam fiasco. And in each of these cases, how did these things turn around and become more "progressive"? Because individuals took it upon themselves to make a stand, starting a social movement. Is it central to every major social, artistic and political movement in United States' history? No, of course not, I don't deal in absolutes like so many PSD posters.

[3] My opinion of American foreign policy, human rights record and civil rights abuses is much, much lower than I have alluded to here. And you are pretty sure you've seen more of the world than I have? What makes you think this? You know nothing about me, not my age, not where I live, not what I do for a living not what my interests are (beyond basketball and political history) or where my expertise lies. Oh, oh, oh, I know! I'm pretty sure that I've seen more of the world than you have. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, got him! U S A! U S A! U S A!

Anyone else?

[1] Actually, I give Chris Jackson (scratch that Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.. since Jackson might be a slave name that's no longer welcome to be used) the benefit of the doubt about his religious sincerity and political conviction. Maybe he believes the same crap about America that you do. Clearly you're in the category of people who are praising Chris/Mahmoud for being a modern day Rosa Parks. I'm in the category of people who have no sympathy for Chris/Mahmoud.. moving on.

[2] You're ranting and it's too bad the only meaningful thing that you were able to find in American politics was slavery, segregation, civil rights abuse, etc. You don't like America, I get it.. moving on.

[3] Honestly dude, I don't care about your opinion on American foreign policy, etc.

NYK_kidd77
02-06-2010, 05:37 AM
I don't see fox as being a racist network but if you want to say bias to leaning towards the right thats fine...but there really isn't any major news station that doesn't lean one way look at cnn and msnbc all left wing media theres no such thing as fair and balance.

SteveNash
02-06-2010, 08:47 AM

If he was so anti-slavery, why would he join a religion whose founder owned and promoted slavery?

Hellcrooner
02-06-2010, 09:40 AM
What he did was stupid, you just need to stand up a bit the anthem represents the idea if what america should be or what you would want it to be it does nto represent Bush america nor corporations america nor qmerica the war machine.

He is not insulting those people he is insulting the total opulation.

Look if i was playing there i would stand to the anthem out of respect even if im european and im really "antiamerican" b ecause i disagree heavily with many things done by previous administrations and some bsi concepts like having no health care etc.

Anyway mr Jackson should have seen it coming.
He could have asked Craig hodges about it, you know' the guy that was a champion and when they got into the whitehouse called out on Jordan and on the league for not doing enough for the poor in Usa and then misteriously no one woudl offer him a 10 days contract.

Hellcrooner
02-06-2010, 09:42 AM
By the way theres is no country in the world where there hasnt been slavery in the past.

As far as i know nodys the banner being held in the ceilling while the antem i played is that with 52? stars and the red and white stripes not the red one with the blue cross.....

So slavery? seriously?

oak2455
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Umm two words for you on the issue of fox news being a prejudice network....Bill O'Reilly .. Enough said, now back to the topic at hand.

Right I think your LOST:eyebrow:

gqmo16
02-06-2010, 10:17 AM
If he was so anti-slavery, why would he join a religion whose founder owned and promoted slavery?

once again, not sure where u get ur facts from but slavery was not in the definition that it is today....only people that were prisoners of war or the children of people that were previously slaves prior to the founding of islam were put into slavery and even then many of these people were freed and that was encouraged....also the quran regards an owner and his slave as equals

JasonJohnHorn
02-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry I don't see how you're worshipping a "false idol" by paying a moment of respect to the people that have come before us and died to make what our country is today. Like I said, it's a spit in the face to those very people.

And why shouldn't black people stand up for the flag? Are you an apologist? Everyone is given equal rights and we even have a president who is half black in the oval office. Let me know how lunch was with Michael Moore.

You know who else used to stand for anthem and indulged in the same type of blind patriotism as you? and refused to try and udnerstand people who did not blindly pay homage to the nation flag? The were called Nazi's, and your blind patriotism and failure to try and undertand and respect other people's faith is a perfect example of the type of things Nazi's did, which lead them to be able to de-humanize Christains.

Jackson/MAR wasn't spitting in people's faces any more that people who are standing for the anthem are spitting in the faces of millions of Vietnamese that Americans killed throughout the 60's and 70's.

Look up and READ American history, you will see that many people did die for this country, and most of them lived in other nations and were victims, either stolen from their home and imported via the slave trade, masacred when Americans arrived and refuse to share land with Natives, Spanish who were killed for Texas because they wouldn't let Americans bring slaves into their territorty or people in countries like Vietnam where America refused to allow free elctions because they didn't like the party that was going to win.

Jackson had his reasons for what he did, and unless you are inclined to indulge in the type of intolerance that the Nazi's encouraged when bring in the Numerberg laws you will be respectful of that.

mjt20mik
02-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Dude averaged 19.2 ppg 6.8 apg and 2.0 rpg in his final season with Denver. Those are beast numbers. Shame that this nonsense basically screwed up his career.