PDA

View Full Version : More important for a team running the triangle, a wing or a center?

Mauersota
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
What is most important for a team running the triangle if they are to win a championship? A wing or a center? Granted that the other position isn't going to suck and is going to have a good player.

Yes this is in regards to the other thread.

Crap I goofed up can a mod make this a poll. Thanks

mikantsass
02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Does Kobe and Jordan answer your question?

Mauersota
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I know what I believe I'm look for what others believe.

Chacarron
02-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I got to agree with mikantass.

Mauersota
02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Wings-3 (I'm a believer in wings for the triangle)
Center-0

topdog
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I think everyone is going to say that. Overall though, I think it depends on the quality and ability of those other 4 players when regarding the wing or the center. I'd have to point to Shaq and say that with the shooters he had around him, he would be as equally effective on that team minus Kobe as Kobe would have been on the team minus Shaq.

All this of course is hard to analyze since we really only have 2 relevant cases to point to when discussing the triangle.

WSU Tony
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Does the team not mentioned even know they'll be running a triangle in 3+ years? A team with 15 wins (I'm assuming a crappy team since the only way you can get an impact SG or C would be a top draft pick) really take a player of "need" or "fits" in a system or do they simply take the best talent available?

I take a dominant center and say "F" the unproven triangle if the team playing it only has 15 wins.....

Mauersota
02-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Long term is what is important, I don't care if we have 15 wins or 1 win as long as we win a championship(s) in the end.

topdog
02-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I think there's an alternative option people aren't looking at - a successful triangle offense without a "dominant*" wing or center. True, we have never really seen this in practice and to that effect I bemoan that the championship Pistons didn't play triangle because I think they'd have been great at it the way they shared the ball, made cuts, ect.

*I'm assuming you mean "dominant" or "elite" wing/center based on the rest of your hypothetical

WSU Tony
02-04-2010, 03:04 PM
If the team isn't dominating with the triangle, who's to say they are running the triangle in 3 years from now? At that point, wouldn't a stud center be more important than a stud SG?

Mauersota
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Rambis contract is signed for 4 years I believe so for 4 years we will be playing the triangle at least. They are not going to put all this effort into something just to drop it the next year or even the year after that.

JordansBulls
02-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Center for the most part unless you have a rare great wing player that can do it all.