PDA

View Full Version : who makes who

bears88
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I know this might be silly but I am curious about it oky my qustion is Does a great player in the NBA make a great coach or Does a a great coach makes a great player or nethier like i said this might be silly and this might be a stupid thread i just need your thoughts and opinions ???

Wade_County
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
alittle of both, but having elite players on your team sure doesnt hurt

Sox Appeal
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
In most cases, players make the coach. But there are exceptions to every rule.

smith&wesson
02-03-2010, 10:29 PM
would phill jackson have 10 rings if it wasnt for mj, shaq, kobe, gasol, ???

nope.

those players made phill jackson a great coach imo. if phill jackson was the coach of the clippers he would still have 0 rings.

its true. its true.

jetsfan28
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
would phill jackson have 10 rings if it wasnt for mj, shaq, kobe, gasol, ???

nope.

those players made phill jackson a great coach imo. if phill jackson was the coach of the clippers he would still have 0 rings.

its true. its true.

Did Shaq and Kobe win before Phil Jackson? Did MJ? They had 0 rings without him too.

Great players make a great coach. But often, great coaches make champion players.

heathonater
02-03-2010, 10:38 PM
i think players make coaches better. however, a great coach knows how to maximize the talents of the players he has. so a coach can make a player better, but players make coaches better also. a little of both i think.

_KB24_
02-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Coaches make players great. Players don't make coaches great.

smith&wesson
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Did Shaq and Kobe win before Phil Jackson? Did MJ? They had 0 rings without him too.

Great players make a great coach. But often, great coaches make champion players.

the bulls that won 6 rings would have won those 6 rings if don nelson was coaching them lol

and the lakers that won three rings with shaq and kobe would have won with pretty much anyone coaching them because they were that much better then other teams at the time.

last years lakers could have been coached by me and they would have still won that ring.

the players play the game. the coaches just coach them.

but that doesnt mean a coach cant guid a player to being better ...

your right it goes both ways.. but to me players win games coaches get them prepared.

phill jackson could never lead a crap team to the finals.

but the type of teams he has had could have won rings with other coaches because they were phenominal teams.

for example. the raptors have been in the league 15 years. lets say phill jackson was the coach of this team for the past 15 years. how many rings do you think phill jackson would have now ??

the answer is 0 because toronto has never had a championship caliber team in its 15 years.

_KB24_
02-04-2010, 12:39 AM
the bulls that won 6 rings would have won those 6 rings if don nelson was coaching them lol

and the lakers that won three rings with shaq and kobe would have won with pretty much anyone coaching them because they were that much better then other teams at the time.

last years lakers could have been coached by me and they would have still won that ring.

the players play the game. the coaches just coach them.

but that doesnt mean a coach cant guid a player to being better ...

your right it goes both ways.. but to me players win games coaches get them prepared.

phill jackson could never lead a crap team to the finals.

but the type of teams he has had could have won rings with other coaches because they were phenominal teams.

for example. the raptors have been in the league 15 years. lets say phill jackson was the coach of this team for the past 15 years. how many rings do you think phill jackson would have now ??

the answer is 0 because toronto has never had a championship caliber team in its 15 years.

Jesus couldn't coach a crap team to the Finals. Great teams win championships, not "crap" teams. And no, you are just speculating that the Bulls and Lakers would win with any coach. I can say for the Lakers, there's no way in hell they would get the 3-peat without Phil.

td0tsfinest
02-04-2010, 12:47 AM
I used to think coaches were overrated. (this was back when I was in elementary, thinking all you had to do was get the best players in the league and put them on the court and let them play)

But one thing I will say is a Great Player can win a championship without a great coach. But a great coach can't w/o a great player.

igPay atinLay
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Jesus couldn't coach a crap team to the Finals. Great teams win championships, not "crap" teams. And no, you are just speculating that the Bulls and Lakers would win with any coach. I can say for the Lakers, there's no way in hell they would get the 3-peat without Phil.

First of all leave Jesus out of this. Secondly Jesus could coach a squirrel to an NBA Championship. He's Jesus and please don't use religious figures in a message board its offensive and only sparks negative reactions.

montazingmvp
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
First of all leave Jesus out of this. Secondly Jesus could coach a squirrel to an NBA Championship. He's Jesus and please don't use religious figures in a message board its offensive and only sparks negative reactions.

oh god...:D:laugh2:

mikantsass
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Coaches make players great. Players don't make coaches great.

Are you kidding me? So Mike Brown has made LeBron great?

king4day
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Best example is Phil Jackson.

He's a great coach, but his greatness (above other big name coaches) is based on the amount of rings he has.
He's been fortunate enough over the past 2 decades to have the 2 best players in the world on his team.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Or the refs, cough *sacramento*cough

jetsfan28
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I used to think coaches were overrated. (this was back when I was in elementary, thinking all you had to do was get the best players in the league and put them on the court and let them play)

But one thing I will say is a Great Player can win a championship without a great coach. But a great coach can't w/o a great player.

The only team to win a championship without a HOF caliber coach in the last 15 years had 3 Hall of Famers (Phil Jackson x 3, Pop, Jackson x 3, Pop, Brown, Pop, Riley, Pop, 3 HOF'ers + Rivers, Jackson).

Let's look at the championship coaches since 1977 (before which, Holzman, Aurbach, etc. won most of the championships, mostly HOF'ers):

Dr. Jack Ramsey - HOF
Lenny Wilkins multiple times - HOF
Pat Riley multiple times - HOF
Chuck Daly x 2 - HOF
Phil Jackson multiple times - HOF
Pop - Will be in HOF

Dick Motta - Not in HOF, but borderline guy
Bill Fitch - Not in HOF, but borderline guy
KC Jones x 2 - Not in HOF, but borderline guy
Rudy T - Not in HOF, but borderline guy

Doc Rivers is the only one that sticks out, and it took him 3 Hall of Fame caliber players in a league where teams aren't as stacked as they once were.