PDA

View Full Version : So apparently theres a new conspiracy regarding King James foul rate

Chronz
02-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I pride myself on keeping up to date with anything NBA related and its forums like this that keep it that way, but you guys really dropped the ball on this one. Im shocked, how is it that it wasnt posted here? Who knows what Im talking about, more importantly who actually buys that ridiculous theory.

RadiantShot
02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
:confused:

effen5
02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Hes not a king

Baller1
02-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Care to elaborate? Because I have no clue what the **** you are talking about.

Afridi786
02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Y wouldn't u at least explain the theory?

Chronz
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
:confused:

Thats what Im saying, I got a txt about an hour ago from an annoying Laker friend of mine mentioning it. So in preparation for our encounter Im trying out the argument on you guys. But who actually knows what Im talking about, Ill google it when I get home but Im meeting this guy for ball in a few hours. Anyone know what the basic idea was, he just told me that Refs dont call fouls on bron because it was Sterns orders.

Y wouldn't u at least explain the theory?
I would if I knew what it was based on

Kakaroach
02-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Something about how LeBron doesn't get called for charges on offense and other fouls on defense?

Or his average fouls per game or something? Not to sure myself.

Shady66
02-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Their are a lot of times that Lebron gets superstar calls on defence, where their should be a foul, but isnt.

ko8e24
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, this thread was made just for the sake of making a thread. It's really not going anywhere.

MODS, please Close!!!

ElMarroAfamado
does this really need explaining ?

iluvsports2much
Thats what Im saying, I got a txt about an hour ago from an annoying Laker friend of mine mentioning it. So in preparation for our encounter Im trying out the argument on you guys. But who actually knows what Im talking about, Ill google it when I get home but Im meeting this guy for ball in a few hours. Anyone know what the basic idea was, he just told me that Refs dont call fouls on bron because it was Sterns orders.

I would if I knew what it was based on

even i think thats ********... Davy has been the comish for like 30 years or somethin and nothin like this has ever come up before.. I HIGHLY doubt a man on top of things like him would even think bout doin somethin like that after what happened to donoghy..

skratcher
02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about:

A guy wrote something about how Lebron doesn't get called enough for fouls (http://www.emptythebench.com/2010/01/26/lebron-james-fouls/).

There is no question that LeBron James is a freakish talent that can do it all, including turning a 17-65 squad into a perennial contender. Not only does he get a lot of points, rebounds, and assists, but he producers these numbers at very good rates (55% eFG%, 11.1 Reb%, 2.2 A/TO).

Where I have some concern is how seldom he’s in foul trouble. This gives an unfair advantage to the Cavaliers, since he never has to watch how he plays or sit for any reason other than to rest. The P-values show how extraordinarily unlikely it is for James to end up with these low foul counts, and his style of play and comparison to more-defensive-minded superstars makes his counts even more unbelievable.

Here's the rebuttal (http://howtowatchsports.com/2010/01/lebron-james-foul-issue-a-rebuttal/).

The real problem here, which we all make in the wonderful world of sports statistics, is trying to discern causation with numbers. The only way we could actually prove bias toward LeBron James would be to remove every single other variable, which is impossible. Mr. Blott can’t prove that there is or isn’t bias, and neither can I.

Is it possible that LeBron James gets called for relatively few fouls because of bias, and that the players who get called for fewer fouls legitimately commit fewer fouls? Yep. Is it possible that all the refs in the league hate Kobe and D-Wade, and so call them for more fouls? It’s possible. Is it possible that LeBron James is either good at not fouling, or even just good at disguising it? All of these things are possible, but the conclusions are well outside the realm of statistics.

What we have discovered is something that is remarkable about a few players. I’m not sure that anyone is surprised the Steve Nash is second for the fewest fouls in the league (an aging perimeter player with a reputation for full-of-holes defense? make sense), but how about Derrick Rose? Perhaps we should make it the real story that the young, rising Rose is committing the fewest fouls in the league.

I'm sorry if the quoted excerpts don't make much sense. You need to read the whole article to grasp what they are trying to say.

magichatnumber9
02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Not a good way to start a thread dude.

arkanian215
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I pride myself on keeping up to date with anything NBA related and its forums like this that keep it that way, but you guys really dropped the ball on this one. Im shocked, how is it that it wasnt posted here? Who knows what Im talking about, more importantly who actually buys that ridiculous theory.

it's bs. i read the article and it's bs.

i looked at it year by year with the minutes adjusted and the highest he got was 2nd overall. the rest of the time he was around 10thish. derrick rose and steve nash often led those years.

a lot of it has to do with who he guards on the court when he plays. the second part is that he just doesn't foul that often.

Statik1
02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Is this going to be a thread that leads the creation of this "Theory"

AntwanN21
02-03-2010, 10:46 PM
someones gotta check me on this state, but if im correct, Lebron James has never fouled out of a game. Thats gotta say something IMO. To have a player as physical and dominanat as him not get fouled out even once, you know something is wrong.

900th post!

mvb815
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
It is possible. This reminds me of the infamous "crab dribble." Who knows what happened to that ref behind closed doors.

Lakersfan2483
02-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I find it difficult to believe that a player as physical as Lebron gets called for so few fouls. He avgs. less fouls than Magic, MJ, Kobe, Wade etc... You can't tell me the man doesn't foul commit fouls more than once or twice a game and that he never gets into significant foul trouble. Something strange is going on and I don't think it should be dismissed so easily. A chicago beat writer put out a great article about this very topic just last year.

Lakersfan2483
02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
someones gotta check me on this state, but if im correct, Lebron James has never fouled out of a game. Thats gotta say something IMO. To have a player as physical and dominanat as him not get fouled out even once, you know something is wrong.

900th post!

Agreed.

Sox Appeal
02-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I find it difficult to believe that a player as physical as Lebron gets called for so few fouls. He avgs. less fouls than Magic, MJ, Kobe, Wade etc... You can't tell me the man doesn't foul commit fouls more than once or twice a game and that he never gets into significant foul trouble. Something strange is going on and I don't think it should be dismissed so easily. A chicago beat writer put out a great article about this very topic just last year.

"On Basketball Prospectus, Kevin Pelton digs deep into the idea that LeBron James is not called for enough fouls. After some smart analysis, he concludes: "I think the numbers suggest that to the extent that James is called for fewer fouls than we would expect, the magnitude of the effect is not extraordinary. As much as the overall numbers, the example that sold me was Luol Deng. Like James, Deng is an athletic small forward who occasionally plays at the four. Their block rates are identical and their rebound percentages are similar, and Deng is called for fouls as infrequently as James. So if you're going to argue that referees have decided not to call fouls on James, you have to be prepared to make a similar argument about Deng, who is a solid player but has never been an All-Star. Any takers?"

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12809/wednesday-bullets-147

ARMIN12NBA
02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
"On Basketball Prospectus, Kevin Pelton digs deep into the idea that LeBron James is not called for enough fouls. After some smart analysis, he concludes: "I think the numbers suggest that to the extent that James is called for fewer fouls than we would expect, the magnitude of the effect is not extraordinary. As much as the overall numbers, the example that sold me was Luol Deng. Like James, Deng is an athletic small forward who occasionally plays at the four. Their block rates are identical and their rebound percentages are similar, and Deng is called for fouls as infrequently as James. So if you're going to argue that referees have decided not to call fouls on James, you have to be prepared to make a similar argument about Deng, who is a solid player but has never been an All-Star. Any takers?"

Deng also doesn't play physical defense at all and is soft. Now, I believe that Lebron doesn't play much defense, but everybody tries to sell to me that Lebron is such a physical beast defensively and bodies up everybody...yet he is such a genius that he doesn't commit fouls. Doubt it. Either he is getting preferential treatment or the dude straight up doesn't play defense. I think it is a mix between the two (as most realities are not the far extremes).

ChiSox219
02-04-2010, 12:53 AM

That makes a lot of sense. Deng is one of the best defenders in the league and Lebron is faster and stronger than Deng so in theory that should allow Lebron to maintain position and/or recover even better than Deng.

But it wouldn't surprise me if the refs were directed to keep Lebron out of foul trouble.

_KB24_
02-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Thats BS on how he has never been fouled out. Complete BS.

allvalleychamp
02-04-2010, 01:18 AM
if Lebron received a foul call everytime he was slapped going to the basket he'd be shooting like 50 free throws a game

Chronz
02-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Well, this thread was made just for the sake of making a thread. It's really not going anywhere.

MODS, please Close!!!

So from now on no more asking questions?

Deng also doesn't play physical defense at all and is soft. Now, I believe that Lebron doesn't play much defense, but everybody tries to sell to me that Lebron is such a physical beast defensively and bodies up everybody...yet he is such a genius that he doesn't commit fouls. Doubt it. Either he is getting preferential treatment or the dude straight up doesn't play defense. I think it is a mix between the two (as most realities are not the far extremes).
Ive always found Deng an excellent 2-way player. Im not commenting until I see what this list of players is based on, if its simply a players foul rate, Im not buying it. Players rarely attack Bron, its not his fault hes so physically imposing, yet not a post player. I know for a fact that Iggy has identical foul rate, I remember pointing it out last year when he was on a defensive tirade. Hes ALWAYS playing physical defense and guarding the opposing teams best player(including Bron, can Bron say he has to guard himself?) not to mention the disadvantage of having to guard the quicker 2's that Bron doesnt chase for entire games (Guys like Wade and Kobe). Bron not fouling is a direct result of his defensive awareness, hes either in position for the contest or hes giving up the layup(Watch him guard Bargs in the post).

RaptorsFanatic
02-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Lebron's Foul Averages:
2003/04 - 1.9 fouls in 39 minutes of action.
2004/05 - 1.8 fouls in 42 minutes of action.
2005/06 - 2.3 fouls in 42 minutes of action.
2006/07 - 2.2 fouls in 41 minutes of action.
2007/08 - 2.2 fouls in 40 minutes of action.
2008/09 - 1.7 fouls in 37 minutes of action.
2009/10 - 1.3 foul in 38 minutes of action.

Career: 2 fouls in 40 minutes of action per game.

If that is not ridiculous, then I don't know what is.
Career wise, Kobe is around there too at 2.7 fouls per 36 minutes of action, and Dwyane Wade is at 2.6 fouls per 38 minutes.

So, you can argue about star treatment, but at the end of the day, big time players are big time players for a reason.

With that being said, I still despise LeBron, haha.

M's Fan2411
02-04-2010, 01:47 AM
yeah yeah and hes ugly and he always travels

NPH
02-04-2010, 01:51 AM
yeah yeah and hes ugly and he always travels

youre right! he is ugly and always travels. :clap:

king4day
02-04-2010, 01:58 AM
How is this thread still open?

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 02:05 AM

Mr. Chronz. You were a good poster, but I think this is randomness at it's best and u lost ur weight by a good margin. As for the topic, it's nothing new. All the superstars get calls in their favor. LeBron, Wade, D12, CP3, Kobe, Melo, Durant etc etc. I wonder how you have doubt on this.

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 02:08 AM

Does anyone hate LeBron more than you? At least I haven't seen anyone. You are a valuless laker homer and a LeBron hater.

ChiSox219
02-04-2010, 02:10 AM
Does anyone hate LeBron more than you? At least I haven't seen anyone. You are a valuless laker homer and a LeBron hater.

Oh man, you had to quote him. Thanks a lot, I have him on my ignore list for a reason! ;)

stawka
02-04-2010, 02:13 AM

He is possibly the biggest LeBron hater but will deny it to his death. Once again, there's a reason half the people here have him on their ignore list

JNA17
02-04-2010, 02:16 AM
well this thread went no where fast.

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Oh man, you had to quote him. Thanks a lot, I have him on my ignore list for a reason! ;)

I sure realize now!

JNA17
02-04-2010, 02:18 AM
hey why is there so much talk about kobe or lebron? Can the goat mark blount or mike "god" james get any love here?

Teeboy1487
02-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I watch a lot of cavs games because of League pass. Lebron just don't foul alot. He really has a high basketball IQ on the defensive end. Sure, he gets star treatment too. That's nothing new. I think the one thing he does get away with alot is those offensive fouls when he uses his off arm for space. I think they should really call more offensive fouls on him but that's it.

Chronz
02-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Mr. Chronz. You were a good poster, but I think this is randomness at it's best and u lost ur weight by a good margin. As for the topic, it's nothing new. All the superstars get calls in their favor. LeBron, Wade, D12, CP3, Kobe, Melo, Durant etc etc. I wonder how you have doubt on this.

Shame Ill get you back, anyways this isnt the same as preferential treatment, this is preferential treatment of historical proportions from what my friend told me.

mervinout
02-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Shame Ill get you back, anyways this isnt the same as preferential treatment, this is preferential treatment of historical proportions from what my friend told me.

you're really not that interesting of a man

JJ_JKidd
02-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Its apparently a concern. Well idc Stern can S his B as long as he doesnt get a ring then its fine. Imagine, he does his rap thing, his pre game arrogance/clown stuff and he kicks a gatorade thing that flies into fans whilst he HAS YET to win a RING!

Imagine if he does win a ring, he'll prolly spit on your favorite player's face. Dang. KKKIIINNGGG WWWIITTHHOOOUUTTT AAAAA RRRIIIINNNGGG!!

JJ_JKidd
02-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Very interesting http://community.foxsports.com/tsunami/blog/2010/01/27/(dont)_blow_the_whistle_-_analyzing_lebron_james_lack_of_personal_fouls

Fury
02-04-2010, 03:54 AM
wow this thread was completely pointless..it was a post just for the sake of posting THANKS FOR NOTHIN!!!!

kozelkid
02-04-2010, 08:23 AM

I hope you really aren't trying to suggest that Deng is a bad defender. Or even average.

kozelkid
02-04-2010, 08:24 AM

I was wondering why you weren't all over him for his apparent comment suggesting that Deng might be a poor defender :laugh2:

Cavs_Fan24
02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
I remember hearing on the radio that he has one of the lowest fouls per game averages ever. They said that his was 1.2 fpg, jordans was 2.8, and Kobe's is 2.4

But its not because of stern. When lebron was growing up he taught how to play a certain style of defense (they didn't go too much into detail about it) that he could play D efficiently without fouling. Of course he still gets those superstar calls but he knows how to play D

arkanian215
02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
PF/48 minutes (disregard anyone with less than 20 mpg)

2009-10: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/count/201
2008-9: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2009/count/201 (continued on page 5)
2007-8: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2008/count/201 (LeBron is on page 5)
2006-7: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2007/count/161
2005-6: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2006/count/201 (LeBron is on page 5)
2004-5: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2005/count/201 (LeBron is second this year)
2003-4: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2004/count/201

arkanian215
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
PF/48 minutes (disregard anyone with less than 20 mpg)

2009-10: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/count/201
2008-9: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2009/count/201 (continued on page 5)
2007-8: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2008/count/201 (LeBron is on page 5)
2006-7: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2007/count/161
2005-6: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2006/count/201 (LeBron is on page 5)
2004-5: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2005/count/201 (LeBron is second this year)
2003-4: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/avg48Fouls/year/2004/count/201
lol why don't they say anything about Nash or Rose getting prefertial treatment? Prince, Peja, Durant, Finley and Bibby have all been up there as well. Why don't they pick out Iggy? This guy has averaged a ton of minutes per game as well and has just as few fouls per game.

montazingmvp
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
lol why don't they say anything about Nash or Rose getting prefertial treatment? Prince, Peja, Durant, Finley and Bibby have all been up there as well. Why don't they pick out Iggy? This guy has averaged a ton of minutes per game as well and has just as few fouls per game.

um are you serious? its pretty well known that nash doesn't try very hard on the defensive end...he occasionally goes for chargers...but along the lines of staying in front of his man and contesting shots...he doesn't do it...

thats the obvious reason for nash's low foul rate.

same can pretty much be said for rose...who doesn't even try and draw charges..

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 11:23 AM
well, Raja Bell might be a good scapegoat. He played terrific D on a specific superstar and never got a call in his favor.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
this is nothing new, NBA has always given special treatment to its star players. It's a business.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
well, Raja Bell might be a good scapegoat. He played terrific D on a specific superstar and never got a call in his favor.

Tim Doneghy specifically pointed out Raja Bell as a guy that refs were supposed to make calls against when he was guarding a star. The refs were told to call fouls on Raja when guarding say Kobe, because the fans didn't come to see Kobe score 12 points or whatever. Not a knock on Kobe at all, just an example. That is if you believe Donegy, I read his book, actually quite good, and I do believe it all.

nipo10847
02-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Tim Doneghy specifically pointed out Raja Bell as a guy that refs were supposed to make calls against when he was guarding a star. The refs were told to call fouls on Raja when guarding say Kobe, because the fans didn't come to see Kobe score 12 points or whatever. Not a knock on Kobe at all, just an example. That is if you believe Donegy, I read his book, actually quite good, and I do believe it all.

;) smart pick up.

Boss Man Chief
02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I think its so funny how everyone hates on lebron. He gets the calls bc he respects the refs. I watch A LOT of his games I have never seen him get a technical. And you guys act like this isn't supposed to happen. The league protects their stars. The nfl protects their franchise QB's and the nba protects their stars he's gettin the same treatment kobe got a couple years ago and shaq before that and jordan before that and magic before that, should I keep going? Lakers fans quit hating bc your #2 in the league because of "KING CRAB DRIBBLE" if you don't like it do something about it. Don't hate the player hate the game ahaha.

arkanian215
02-04-2010, 11:44 AM
um are you serious? its pretty well known that nash doesn't try very hard on the defensive end...he occasionally goes for chargers...but along the lines of staying in front of his man and contesting shots...he doesn't do it...

thats the obvious reason for nash's low foul rate.

same can pretty much be said for rose...who doesn't even try and draw charges..

lol it was a rhetorical question.

DaBUU
02-04-2010, 12:03 PM
NBA Stars getting calls or not getting calls is IMO, one of the biggest travesties in sports and I don't get how anyone can defend it. It totally F's with the integrity of the game and its so obvious. I guess its only entertainment anyway, but its still stupid.

sep11ie
02-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I think its something about having the lowest(or close to) FPG in the NBA.

BKNets
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Someone, please, for the love of God, CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!

Lo Porto
02-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Their are a lot of times that Lebron gets superstar calls on defence, where their should be a foul, but isnt.

It's true; he gets Kobe and MJ treatment all the time. It must be nice for Cav and LA fans to have a player who gets called differently than the rest of the league. It's not a coincidence that both teams do so well...

tr4shb0t
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM

guards don't pick up as many fouls as forwards.

Raph12
02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
@Chronz,

I think the basic idealogy behind this one, is that Lebron is seldom called for fouls he commits, whether on offense or defense. Hell, he got a tech the other night, went to the bench, kicked a water bottle into the crowd and they didn't give him a second tech.

Lebron is the new face of the NBA, back in the day, Kobe got the type of treatment Lebron does now, people just notice it more because Lebron is accustomed to bulling his way over the defense to get to the basket. This is nothing new, superstars do get superstar calls and Lebron is the biggest superstar in the league at this point and he'll get that type of treatment.

JayAllDay
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM

so...

You're saying
"Oh i heard something from somewhere and PSD community failed me for not saying it before I did but I have no idea what I am talking about"

**** that.
There is no theory. Just you saying a bunch of nothing.

/THREAD

pacofunk64
02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Don't know if there is one but wouldn't be surprised if there was. The integrity of sports keeps taking hits so if there is one I don't want to know about it.

arkanian215
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
guards don't pick up as many fouls as forwards.

it was a rhetorical question. the point is to consider the circumstances that each player plays in and how the play.

aZekuiS
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
so...

You're saying
"Oh i heard something from somewhere and PSD community failed me for not saying it before I did but I have no idea what I am talking about"

**** that.

/THREAD

lol exactly, what a dork.

Raoul Duke
02-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I think its so funny how everyone hates on lebron. He gets the calls bc he respects the refs.

Seriously? He whines more than any other player I've ever seen. He whines more than Tom Izzo.

Chronz
02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Very interesting http://community.foxsports.com/tsunami/blog/2010/01/27/(dont)_blow_the_whistle_-_analyzing_lebron_james_lack_of_personal_fouls
Good stuff

so...

You're saying

**** that.

/THREAD
Read the last 5 pages, theres tons of room for debate

LRizzle
02-04-2010, 05:01 PM
seriously? He whines more than any other player i've ever seen. He whines more than tom izzo.

+1

Chronz
02-04-2010, 05:08 PM
lol exactly, what a dork.

your not in any position to calling someone a whales penis considering how much has been said. or do you just skip posts to look foolish on purpose?

LA_cabals
02-04-2010, 05:27 PM
"Do the referees consciously protect James knowing he is perhaps the league's top marketing figure and he is featured more than any player on the nightly sports highlights? I always doubt that knowing the integrity of the refereeing corps as a group and believe NBA officiating is the best in sports.

Still, we've never seen anything like this. Especially at a time when it is generally agreed with rules changes it is the most difficult time to defend on the perimeter without committing fouls.

James is averaging 1.72 fouls per game in an average of 37.9 minutes per game. James hasn't even been in foul trouble one game this season. He never has had more than four fouls called on him in a game, and since March 1 is being called for fewer than 1.3 fouls per game.

In 12 of the 20 games since then, James has been called for one or zero fouls in a game. James had a stretch of five straight games to conclude March averaging 36.8 minutes per game without being called for one foul. Not one in five games! In the last nine games, James has been called for three personal fouls. It's really amazing given the involvement James has in the action of the game.

"It's impossible," said one team executive."

This is from an article written during last season.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith2_090406.html?rss=true)

aZekuiS
02-04-2010, 05:28 PM
your not in any position to calling someone a whales penis considering how much has been said. or do you just skip posts to look foolish on purpose?

I lost interest in this thread after reading your painfully douchey first post.

Lo Porto
02-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately, the "star treatment" is one of the things really started by MJ. People give credit to MJ for being the greatest ever, but because of him, we have star treatment by refs and ridiculously huge contracts.