PDA

View Full Version : Amar'e may not opt out

king4day
02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Suns All-Star Amar'e Stoudemire told Fanhouse today that he is leaning toward not opting out of his contract at the conclusion of this season.

The article link is here.

"That's definitely an option," Stoudemire told fanhouse.com. "I'm leaning more toward that right now. Maybe opting in ... (That would be to) buy time. See how we do ... I think we got our game back on track."

Stoudemire's contract has a player option for him to make $17.7 million for the 2010-11 season, the final year of his contract. If he was to opt out, Stoudemire would be an unrestricted free agent in July.

Stoudemire also said the chances of him being traded are "50-50" before the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

Asked this morning about how a decision by Stoudemire to opt in would affect their perspective on trade talks, Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said, "It would affect it dramatically. . . We'd be happy because he's still a very, very productive player."

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/73132

I don't create many NBA forrum posts, but thought this was worthy of a thread.
This is the first of the big 4 Free Agents to be, that has said he might actually opt in (not sign an extension).

If he stays with Phoenix, then that changes a lot of things for the summer.

GodsSon
02-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Why do I see this summer slowly becoming a HUGE let-down?? lol

Young and Stupid
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't think it changes things that much for this offseason. I know as a Nets fan I don't want him, especially not at a Max contract. If a Net fan doesn't want him, who does?

king4day
02-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't think it changes things that much for this offseason. I know as a Nets fan I don't want him, especially not at a Max contract. If a Net fan doesn't want him, who does?

He might realize that with Bosh, Wade, and Lebron being Free Agents this summer, his value is limited. While in 2011, he's likely going to be the top Free Agent.

uchiha
02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I would consider Amare number 5 on the 2010 FA list, behind Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Joe Johnson

C_A_S_H
02-03-2010, 06:52 PM
interesting

king4day
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I would consider Amare number 5 on the 2010 FA list, behind Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Joe Johnson

Good point about JJ.
He's the 2nd best big man regardless though this year.

DevonMSF
02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
A lot, repeat, ALOT of teams will be dissapointed if Amar'e resigns with Phoenix.

sunnydayin'zona
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
well yeah why wouldnt he? i mean he wont get any more money in the free agency this year, if he opts in he makes 17 million dollars. now tell me who would pay him more than that.

(it could be good for the suns because if there's a lockout and contract restrictions, we can resign amare for cheap)

so i think the suns may just want to move jrich before the deadline.

Jonathan2323
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
he's saying this so the the Suns will trade him now.

Gibby23
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
he's saying this so the the Suns will trade him now.

This would give the Suns more time to get the best deal they can. They can do it in the offseason or by the deadline next season.

Kakaroach
02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Just saying it for the media, I don't hold any value in this. He might decide to not opt out though, nobody knows.

Cool007
02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Why do I see this summer slowly becoming a HUGE let-down?? lol

Yeah, I fear that LeBron/Bosh/D-Wade/Amare/JJ stay with their team next year and only guys that move probably David Lee and he will probably get overpaid as some teams might get desperate.

JordansBulls
02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
He should opt out.

Cool007
02-03-2010, 08:05 PM
well yeah why wouldnt he? i mean he wont get any more money in the free agency this year, if he opts in he makes 17 million dollars. now tell me who would pay him more than that.

(it could be good for the suns because if there's a lockout and contract restrictions, we can resign amare for cheap)

so i think the suns may just want to move jrich before the deadline.

If he opts out, you bet there will be atleast 1 team that will pay him either Max or very close to it. ALso, who knows with the lockout and renegotiations, Amare and maybe others may never get this type of money. IMO,

HuRRiCaNeS324
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't buy it at all. Why the Hell would he want to stay in Phoenix? That teams title hopes are long gone.

And plus its stupid business wise because he will prolly get a max contact (even though i don't think he deserves one) next year.

And im not saying this because im a Heat fan and i want Stoudemire. I just don't see much sense into him resigning with them.