PDA

View Full Version : Has Tracy Mcgrady ever been on an elite team?

JordansBulls
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Has Tracy Mcgrady ever been on an elite team?

The reason I bring this up is many say that Mcgrady has had championship teams thru his career (at least from 2007-2009) while others say he hasn't had the support.

Now if you look at his career you will notice that he has never been on a team that finished higher 4th in the conference nor was higher than the 5th seed in the conference.

twoearl
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Elite in the sense of Championship contender NO. But Elite in the sense of good enough to get out of the first wrong YES.

And him not EVER being able to pull his team from the first round is a very huge blemish on his career.

sep11ie
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Not elite. Too many Barrys, Suras, Juwan Howard type players. Never had that 3rd scoring option.

This years Rockets with a Tracy and Yao at full potential would be elite.

OaklandsFinest
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
No he has not had a an elite team. I'll even argue he has never even had a very good team with the exception of Toronto. Yao has been the most disapointing superstar I've seen. The guy is a little better then Shawn Bradley and people treat him like he is a legit superstar. Every year Tracy McGrady's numbers increase during the playoffs while Yao's dwindle with the exception of last year when he broke his foot. McGrady WAS better then Kobe in Orlando and is still a deadly scorer if he's not forced to carry 4 other guys on his back, and one being a 7'6 Chinese guy with downs. As far as the 1st round thing, yeah its not that great, but it took KG having the help of Spree and Cassell to get out the 1st and McGrady has never had that kind of help to get past the 1st. I wanna see Boston move Ray Allen for T mac and watch him rebound.

Chronz
02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Everyone knows about his Orlando days but in Houston he had 1 good chance

2005 Playoff Roster

Sura (Soon to be retired), Wesley (on his final decent season, Tmac (Playing the best basketball of his career), Ryan Bowen (Guy wouldnt get more than 10MPG on any other playoff team), and Yao (before the dominance).

vs Dallas mega stacked at every position, can play big or small, defend, and win even with their star player struggling.

How that series went 7 is beyond me, that was Tmacs last year as a star

After that it was basically a combination of him not being good enough and the support never coming in time. He had one last good regular season and 1 decent playoff series without Yao but aside from that its been tons of disappointment

Fire&Ice2&33
02-02-2010, 06:20 PM
He has never had an great team!! He was always was the team!!

Slimsim
02-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Umm Last year

Verbal Christ
02-02-2010, 07:37 PM
i'd bet a pretty penny that mac's AAU and high school teams were pretty badass.

superkegger
02-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Has anyone ever asked more questions about Tracy McGrady that no one cared about?

Iodine
02-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Has anyone ever asked more questions about Tracy McGrady that no one cared about?

Hey, if its good enough to be a thread on PSD, then EVERYONE CARES

Raph12
02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
If he was a true superstar, he and Yao should've made the the Rockets elite.

FlakeyFool
02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
he could have made an elite duo of Carter and McGrady had he stayed with the raps

cheerio
02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Elite in the sense of Championship contender NO. But Elite in the sense of good enough to get out of the first wrong YES.

And him not EVER being able to pull his team from the first round is a very huge blemish on his career.

:clap:

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
of course, when he was on the raptors :p

When he first went to the Magic, people believed they would have an elite team with Grant Hill, Patrick Ewing. If Duncan actually went to Orlando, they could have been a dynasty.

When he went to the Rockets, he and Yao were suppose to be the greatest tandem in the game. Both put up great numbers but the team was never a great one.

marlinsfan24
02-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Disagreed. You still need a real team around you for you to be elite. Kobe nor Wade made it out of the first round without real help.

RajMahal2012
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
i think is a pretty simple answer, if you can't get past the first round you're not elite.

ink
02-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Has Tracy Mcgrady ever been on an elite team?

The reason I bring this up is many say that Mcgrady has had championship teams thru his career (at least from 2007-2009) while others say he hasn't had the support.

Now if you look at his career you will notice that he has never been on a team that finished higher 4th in the conference nor was higher than the 5th seed in the conference.

Seems like we've done this thread a few times before.

Fury
02-02-2010, 11:58 PM
no just had teams that shuda been able to pass the first round of the playoffs

mynameismo
02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
I think of elite as the top teams of each division. With that said no.
However, talent-wise.. Last year was the most talent he had around him. Yao, Scola, Artest, and him is a great team. We just never saw them play at full strength because of injuries.

JordansBulls
02-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Seems like we've done this thread a few times before.

I think the other one was why Tmac got the blame a lot. This one is different, trust me.:)

Chronz
02-03-2010, 04:56 AM

Well define elite, they were usually the 4th best team in the conference, his teams have always overachieved, its just hard to crack the top 2 when the other teams are so much more talented.

SteveNash
02-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Never been on an elite team, but was on teams good enough to get to the second round multiple times.

JordansBulls
02-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Well define elite, they were usually the 4th best team in the conference, his teams have always overachieved, its just hard to crack the top 2 when the other teams are so much more talented.

Well some will say if you have another top 10 player in the league on your team that that team is considered elite.

Raph12
02-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Disagreed. You still need a real team around you for you to be elite. Kobe nor Wade made it out of the first round without real help.

He had Yao when Yao was young... if Kobe had Yao, the Rockets would be so much better.

daleja424
02-03-2010, 12:19 PM
his rockets had 2 of the 10 best players in the game on the team at the same time for years but injuries derailed them to often. He has definitely been on an elite team tho

Chronz
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
He had Yao when Yao was young... if Kobe had Yao, the Rockets would be so much better.

When Yao was young he wasnt dominant, by the time Yao became a dominant player injuries had taken its toll on Tmacs game, he was no longer the kind of player Kobe was or even close to it so thats not really disproving his point. The fact still remains the teams Tmac was a part of always overachieved. There arent many swings who couldve done more with those squads, Kobe being one of them doesnt diminish Tmac at all. And I know for damn sure they wouldnt be better in 05.

JordansBulls
02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
When Yao was young he wasnt dominant, by the time Yao became a dominant player injuries had taken its toll on Tmacs game, he was no longer the kind of player Kobe was or even close to it so thats not really disproving his point. The fact still remains the teams Tmac was a part of always overachieved. There arent many swings who couldve done more with those squads, Kobe being one of them doesnt diminish Tmac at all. And I know for damn sure they wouldnt be better in 05.

To me the only times you can say he was on an elite team was from 2006-2009.

blams
02-04-2010, 03:18 PM
No. Not. At. All.

Wade_County
02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
allen for McGrady, hed be on a good team then. Just saying.

grega1976
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM

:clap::clap::clap:

tredigs
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
My question: Will T-Mac be signed this year, and if so, do you think a contender will take a chance on him? Some signs that the Sixers might the ones. Which would be a resounding "NO" if so.

amoore87
02-04-2010, 03:57 PM

who was that help..oh yea shaq!!

JayAllDay
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I think T-Mac was the star on all of his teams (except for maybe the Raptors)

If anything he should have turned his teams into Elite teams (especially with Yao at Houston) but injuries and whatever other reasons stopped him from getting there.

Punkindrublic03
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
are you kidding with this question? NO.

he never has made it to the second round of the playoffs lol

johnwayne
02-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Not elite. Too many Barrys, Suras, Juwan Howard type players. Never had that 3rd scoring option.

This years Rockets with a Tracy and Yao at full potential would be elite.

wouldnt that make alot of teams elite???

JordansBulls
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
are you kidding with this question? NO.

he never has made it to the second round of the playoffs lol

Just because he never made it to round 2 doesn't mean he hasn't been on an elite team.