PDA

View Full Version : How to determine guys who are all time greats if they have not won a title ..........

JordansBulls
02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
It's obvious the best method to determine an all time great player is by looking at guys who have carried teams to the championship and won League/Finals MVP's multiple times.

However, for guys who may not have won titles as the best player on the team, another way to measure an all time great is by looking to see if they have ever carried teams to the #1 seed/Best Record in the Conference.

So guys like Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Dr J, Jerry West, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Dirk Nowitzki Steve Nash are all guys who are all time great players who are franchise players as well.

Some guys on that list have won titles but mainly as the 2nd best player on the team except for Wade

I think the point I am trying to emphasis is that you can sort of tell who will be an alltime great player/franchise player even if they did not win any titles as the best player on their teams by if they can lead teams to the top record in the conference.

Thoughts!!! Would you agree that a player that carries a team to the top seed/best record in the conference and/or best record in the league is an alltime great?

NOTE: There has to be an established best player on the team though.

Pierzynski4Prez
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Sure, many of those guys, if not most, are all-time greats. Most were just blocked by the Greatest of All-Time, the man in your sig, actually the Duo in your sig.

They all dominate(d) the league at their respective position, its just a matter of how long they do it for to determine who is an All-time great one.

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Ye I would say a guy who led their team to conference titles or league titles was a great player. A lot of these guys, if not all, have impacted the game and left their footprint some how, despite not winning a title they should definitely be recognized.

amoore87
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
stats//records//impact in and out (endorsments) of league

DerekRE_3
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM
It's obvious the best method to determine an all time great player is by looking at guys who have carried teams to the championship and won League/Finals MVP's multiple times.

However, for guys who may not have won titles as the best player on the team, another way to measure an all time great is by looking to see if they have ever carried teams to the #1 seed/Best Record in the Conference.

So guys like Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Clyde Drexler, Gary Payton, Dr J, Jerry West, Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Allen Iverson, Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Alonzo Mourning, Dirk Nowitzki Steve Nash are all guys who are all time great players who are franchise players as well.

Some guys on that list have won titles but mainly as the 2nd best player on the team except for Wade

I think the point I am trying to emphasis is that you can sort of tell who will be an alltime great player/franchise player even if they did not win any titles as the best player on their teams by if they can lead teams to the top record in the conference.

Thoughts!!! Would you agree that a player that carries a team to the top seed/best record in the conference and/or best record in the league is an alltime great?

You don't even have Chris Webber on that list...:pity:

Chronz
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Jerry West was atleast Wilts equal at that point, same with KG and Pierce I think.

JordansBulls
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
You don't even have Chris Webber on that list...:pity:

Totally forgot man. He did lead the Kings to the #1 seed as well.
:o

_KB24_
02-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Hell no is Chris Webber an all-time great. The guy has CHOKE written all over him.

SteveNash
02-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Karl Malone choker
Charles Barkley choker
David Robinson soft
Patrick Ewing choker
Clyde Drexler Hakeem may have been better, but he certainly was a big part.
Gary Payton choker
Dr J Won 2 titles in the ABA
Jerry West Was better than Wilt when the Lakers won
Jason Kidd Team cancer
Kevin Garnett choker
Allen Iverson lol
Lebron James is 25
Dwyane Wade already has a finals MVP...
Alonzo Mourning I wouldn't really blame the Heats choke jobs on him, but he's not really an all time great all around player.
Dirk Nowitzki choker
Steve Nash choker

Lakersfan2483
02-03-2010, 01:57 AM

It depends on the player, for instance, guys like Malone and Barkley are all time greats despite never leading their team to a title. It just depends on how much impact the player had as the no. 1 guy and how far he took his team.

snspacer31
02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
reggie miller should be on that list