PDA

View Full Version : What did Pau Gasol mean by this when referring to Kobe

JordansBulls
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Link (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shots-232119-bryant-gasol.html)

Gasol was asked about Bryant’s new record and offered politically correct – and believably authentic – commentary (“I’m proud of him; I congratulate him”) before adding the kicker: “Now we can focus on winning games again.”

B2theRY
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
who cares? :)

rapjuicer06
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
hahahaha now thats funny...pretty much saying it was a circus act for awhile

Iron24th
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Strange

JasonJohnHorn
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
He probably just meant that the media was focusing more on that record than winning. It might have been a slight to Kobe (perhaps he was more excited about breaking the record than winning- but who knows), or it might have just been a comment about the media's focus. Kobe played amazing last night, hit some clutch shots and broke the record, but the Lakers still lost to Memphis. So after the game, when asked about the record, Gasol likely thought it was more apporpiate to speak to the fact that they lost the game as a team, rather than speak to the stats of an individual player.

Duncan took a similar stance on a similar matter when the media asked him about breaking 20 000 career points, he just said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he care more about winning the game they were playing that night than breaking the record. I'm sure Gasol and Bryant feel the same way. If you break a record in a losing effort, it just doesn't mean as much.

I wouldn't read into it too much. Kobe doesn't dominate the ball any more or less this season than he has in seasons past, and Gasol hasn't taken issue with it in the past, so I doubt he is now.

I take it as a slight to the media, not Bryant.

Raph12
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't think he meant much by it, I think what he meant was "I'm happy for him, but we still lost, so we should go back and focus on that part now"

SirCalvin81
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
He probably just meant that the media was focusing more on that record than winning. It might have been a slight to Kobe (perhaps he was more excited about breaking the record than winning- but who knows), or it might have just been a comment about the media's focus. Kobe played amazing last night, hit some clutch shots and broke the record, but the Lakers still lost to Memphis. So after the game, when asked about the record, Gasol likely thought it was more apporpiate to speak to the fact that they lost the game as a team, rather than speak to the stats of an individual player.

Duncan took a similar stance on a similar matter when the media asked him about breaking 20 000 career points, he just said (and I'm paraphrasing) that he care more about winning the game they were playing that night than breaking the record. I'm sure Gasol and Bryant feel the same way. If you break a record in a losing effort, it just doesn't mean as much.

I wouldn't read into it too much. Kobe doesn't dominate the ball any more or less this season than he has in seasons past, and Gasol hasn't taken issue with it in the past, so I doubt he is now.

I take it as a slight to the media, not Bryant.

this

amoore87
02-02-2010, 10:55 AM
^^exactly..its how the hype is anytime a player is pursuing a record..when its all done you can focus on the ultimate goal of winning championships

G-Funk
02-02-2010, 11:02 AM
I think that he was talking to the Media.

deuces
02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
maybe he was implying kobe focused on that personal goal more than winning

JordansBulls
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Did you see how the article was named? They may it seem Gasol was upset.

Raph12
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Did you see how the article was named? They may it seem Gasol was upset.

Well they lost the game... he had good reason to be upset, when you are the defending champions, you don't like to lose.

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
At the end of the day, they let this one slip. This is suppose to be the best team in the league and no offense to the grizzlies but the lakers should have taken care of business. Not to mention, Pau used to play in that city. It kinda burns losing to your old team.

#1Mavericksfan
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I think Pau is just mad he got out played by his brother that's all.

Yankee Lifer
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Truth be told!

Gibby23
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
He is saying Kobe and the rest of the guards need to go inside more. He said this in the LA times after the game:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-grizzlies2-2010feb02,0,1208541.story

"I don't know," Gasol said, shaking his head. "Obviously, we're not making a conscious effort on pounding the ball inside. So we settled a little bit too much. It's not like they were double-teaming or anything. It is what it is. It happens often."

Are the Lakers a better team when they go inside? "One hundred percent," Gasol said.

Does everybody know that?

"I'm not sure," he said.

and Bynum said this after Boston:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-lakers-web2-2010feb02,0,827787.story

"It's an effort of mine to kind of get out there and do those things," Bynum said. "But at the end of the day, we got up by 12, 11 by me and Pau [Gasol] really kicking their [butts] on the inside. So to go away from it was kind of crazy.

"Especially Pau, because he'll drop dimes [passes]. He passes a lot more than I do out of the block. So I don't know why sometimes we go away from that."

They are right.

mikantsass
02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
He's just telling the world what we already knew..... ITS ALL ABOUT KOBE IN LA LA LAND

albertc86
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
It wasn't a jab at Kobe by any means. When ever Kobe approaches a new accolade, the media hypes it up more than the game itself.

RaptorizedKevin
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
obviousily kobe was focusing on setting records, letting games slip away so he can act like a hero and make 4 GAME WINNINGS SHOTS. That was his goal, i mean come on.. loosing to the raptors? and the grizzles? the raptors are grizzles arent that good. it was j ust kobes selfish goal, and thats why hes been a ball hog all his life.

enderandrew
02-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Link (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shots-232119-bryant-gasol.html)

Perhaps he simply meant that the media wouldn't be pestering them about other things.

Chronz
02-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Kobe played selfishly and both he and the team have recognized it, move on

Hawkeye15
02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
that was a poke at the media, period.

grega1976
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Laker fans don't drink the Kool-aid so much.. Pau is pissed about comments Kobe made earlier in the year about Pau not being hurt nearly as bad as he said, so he wanted to throw a little **** Kobe's way... That being said, don't worry Laker fan you'll have another trophy in June

Tony_Starks
02-02-2010, 03:10 PM
I like Gasol. He gives Kobe his props but doesn't kiss his butt. He has no problems speaking up when they start forgetting about the post but he also knows when to defer and its Kobe time. Perfect fit!!!!

AI4MVP
02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
i think pau is just booty hurt that his brother Marc is obvioulsy better then him and obvioulsy tougher then him..

bac to the article, i wouldnt make to much of it. he said "we" can get back to winnning. if he said "he" should get back to focusing on winning itd be a diffrent story

albertc86
02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
obviousily kobe was focusing on setting records, letting games slip away so he can act like a hero and make 4 GAME WINNINGS SHOTS. That was his goal, i mean come on.. loosing to the raptors? and the grizzles? the raptors are grizzles arent that good. it was j ust kobes selfish goal, and thats why hes been a ball hog all his life.

Wtf are you talking about? Kobe shot well and hit some big shots at the end of the game. If he was trying to be a "hero", he would've forced the last shot instead of passing it to Artest.

kblo247
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Gasol was asked about Bryant’s new record and offered politically correct – and believably authentic – commentary (“I’m proud of him; I congratulate him”) before adding the kicker: “Now we can focus on winning games again.”

Gasol had just 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting Monday and surely hoped to shine brighter in the city where he not only is already a franchise all-time scoring leader but holds 11 other all-time Grizzlies records.

“Obviously we’re not making a concerted effort at pounding the ball inside,” Gasol said after the loss.

He said he’s not sure why this plagues the Lakers despite their consistent size advantage, but added pointedly: “It happens often.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shots-232119-bryant-gasol.html

Let me start by saying it is the chicken and the egg like always with Kobe as he has an alpha male personality and will take over and try to win by himself if he sees guys struggling and at times it bites him in the *** and at the end of the day it either makes him the hero or the villain.

The problem with his logic is that Kobe tied the game 24-24 and sat in the second quarter while Pau led the bench unit for 5 straight minutes going one on one with Hasheem and LA was down 39-31 when Kobe returned. (LA wins the game if they don't go away from Kobe for 6 straight possessions in the final minutes of the game imo, and Kobe was damned if he passed to Ron which he did and damned if he didn't for the win as he was over 50% and scored the last 5 points)

I would agree with Pau of last year , but not this years Pau as he shot a lower percentage (44) than Kobe (46) did on this 8 game past road trip even with the awful Cavs game display and has been shooting at 34% from mid range (FSN).

Plus, at the end of the day Pau isn't man enough to get off 20 shots a night:

Year 1 13.0 FGA
Year 2 13.6 FGA
Year 3 13.4 FGA
Year 4 12.4 FGA
Year 5 14.9 FGA
Year 6 14.5 FGA
Year 7 memphis 14.3 FGA
Year 7 lakers 12.3 FGA
Year 8 12.9 FGA
Year 9 12.0 FGA << this year

Career Average: 13.5

If anyone has a right to complain this year it should be Bynum (not last night as he just wanted to leave Memphis healthy for once) since he converts at a higher percentage and hasn't sat half the season but gets kicked out of his sweet spots for Pau since he hasn't played nearly well at PF as he has a C or as well as Odom in the starting PF role has for that matter.

Now, I know some will say Kobe needs to scale down on his shots (21 with Pau is what he takes) as he average 23 for the year (21 when you take out the games Pau played) while playing 3 more minutes a night (4th quarter with the second unit). I on the other hand have to point out that he should have a beef with the 3 guards not named Kobe who average 21 shots between them and refuse to feed the post be it Luke, Ron, Lamar, Drew, or him at times over shooting long jumpers.

The current breakdown of shots this season for reference is:

Kobe - 23
Pau - 12
Drew - 11
Artest - 10
Odom - 9
Fisher - 6
Farmar - 7
Brown - 6
Luke - 4

My Take and conclusion:

At the end of the day though I think Pau is just frustrated because of:
- His recent play in Cleveland where Phil pointed out that he blew the game
- Getting benched for the first time ever as a Laker in Boston
- Bargs lighting him up in the 4th in Toronto
- Kobe replying "I'm a tough American kid" when asked why he doesn't sit like Pau when he is hurting
- Phil calling him soft and pointing out Lamar, Ron, and Kobe were banged up and playing yet he sits to he is 100%

His brother beating him on both sides while only taking 5 shots was his breaking point imo

Oh well, lets see what will happen as Pau will probably be force fed touches by Phil and Kobe in the next game to prove a point wither way :o

What is your take on the situation for people who actually watched last nights game or LA this season and just don't read box scores?

kblo247
02-02-2010, 06:29 PM
"Now we can focus on winning again??" You little ***** Pau, finish a ****ing lay up you ***** wet noodle.

I think that was more meant about the fact Drew, Farmar, Brown, Fish, and Ron had all talked about getting him and Phil both their records last night.

ARMIN12NBA
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Gasol was getting the ball, he was just getting out-toughed, out-hustled, and purely dominated by his brother and Z-Bo. He was trying to get off shots, but could not and had a few "Kwame" moments, but luckily the ball was saved by his own teammates.

ChiSox219
02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
The Lakers will be a better team if Gasol and Bynum are getting at least 12 shots a game.

kblo247
02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Gasol was getting the ball, he was just getting out-toughed, out-hustled, and purely dominated by his brother and Z-Bo. He was trying to get off shots, but could not and had a few "Kwame" moments, but luckily the ball was saved by his own teammates.

I didn't say he didn't.

The only success Pay had was against Hasheem in the 2nd and milking that got LA down by almost double digits as opposed to letting Kobe and Ron attack

It also didn't help matters that Lamar guarded Z-bo better despite giving up weight and having a hand that had to be treated in the 3rd quarter because it went numb.

kblo247
02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
The Lakers will be a better team if Gasol and Bynum are getting at least 12 shots a game.

That is cliche and not really elaborating on anything.

I have said it all year, the triangle can't really be run with Pau and Bynum together. Pau plays too much like a C and clogs up the floor by setting up on the block since his jumper isn't falling (34%) .

The only time that he and Bynum have both played well together and w/o Odom is when they go Kobe pick and roll from the top of the floor.

WITZ
02-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Isn't this the 2nd time already that Gasol has complained about getting shots but he is right hes not getting enough touches.

Chronz
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
best kblo post ever

kblo247
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Isn't this the 2nd time already that Gasol has complained about getting shots but he is right hes not getting enough touches.

This is the first time about shots.

Earlier this season he complained that he doesn't get good touches with all the congestion playing next to Bynum causes and the only way to fix that was for him to offensive rebound.

I find it funny though that he averages 12-14 shots as the number 1 option in Memphis while shooting a lower percentage and complains about 12 as the number 2 guy while actually converting at a higher percentage because he isn't game planned for as much as Kobe is outside of roughing him up.

best kblo post ever

Really? I don't no whether to :) or :(

rabueed
02-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Gasol takes after a high school girl sometimes...in both MIND and BODY.

TheWatcher34
02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Gasol the whiner!!
..on the court he's soft: everytime he's in the motion of taking the ball to the rim you can hear his loud crying voice jelling out. then he keeps missing clutch free throws, he's also mentally soft! and now he starts crying off the court aswell!!
for the upcoming years he'll be overpaid, too!

magichatnumber9
02-02-2010, 06:58 PM
No Pau no championship. HUSHHHH

kblo247
02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I think LA needs a trade for a PG that can create his own shot and feed the post.

Hear me out, the team functions better with Odom, Kobe, or Artest running the offense and one of the bigs sitting because while those 3 are iso players they can still make cuts and find seams to get easy looks while Pau and Drew can't do that.

Pau and Drew like to iso be it by facing up or backing someone down and with Fisher shooting poorly this year from outside and having multiple 0 games the offense becomes just too stagnanted until Farmar and Brown enter the game and make a shoot out.

TheWatcher34
02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
please little Gasol, don't shed no tears, no Pauuu, no championship ! LALALALALALALA

TheWatcher34
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
please little Gasol, don't shed no tears, no Pauuu, no championship ! LALALALALALALA

JC_
02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
If anyone has a right to complain this year it should be Bynum (not last night as he just wanted to leave Memphis healthy for once) since he converts at a higher percentage and hasn't sat half the season but gets kicked out of his sweet spots for Pau since he hasn't played nearly well at PF as he has a C or as well as Odom in the starting PF role has for that matter.

I think Pau wasn't just talking about himself I think he was talking for Bynum as well who only had like 3 shots in the game. Marc Gasol is a pretty solid defender but he's not good enough that the lakers shouldn't pass the ball inside.

ARMIN12NBA
02-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I think Pau wasn't just talking about himself I think he was talking for Bynum as well who only had like 3 shots in the game. Marc Gasol is a pretty solid defender but he's not good enough that the lakers shouldn't pass the ball inside.

The ball was going inside to both, but the bigs didn't capitalize and the Lakers went to it less in the 2nd half. Bynum was in foul trouble the whole game and played tentative. He was also really messed up mentally because he was scared of getting injured the whole night (checked his knees about 5-6 times from my count). Pau was simply getting dominated.

Wilson
02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
That is cliche and not really elaborating on anything.

I have said it all year, the triangle can't really be run with Pau and Bynum together. Pau plays too much like a C and clogs up the floor by setting up on the block since his jumper isn't falling (34%) .

The only time that he and Bynum have both played well together and w/o Odom is when they go Kobe pick and roll from the top of the floor.

I believe 100% that we should make the pick and roll our main offensive gameplan. Kobe isn't necessarily Chris Paul out there, but he's shown he can get Pau and Andrew looks with the pick and roll, while still getting Fish and Ron their spot up attempts.

The triangle still works great when Lamar is in the game in place of Andrew or Pau, but with both the big men out there we need to go pick and roll.

Bruno
02-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Agreed. I never thought his toughness would come into question again after how well he handled Howard in the Finals but he has been playing soft, and he has choked on important free throws. It seems that he's been off ever since he put up those monster games in mid December.

But Pau is right, it is ridiculous for him to shoot any less than 10 shots per game. Pau and Bynum combined for 10 FGA yesterday, that's not gona cut it. Pau and Bynum need a combined minimum of 20 shots per night.

kblo247
02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Let me repeat this from FSN

Kobe shot 46% on the 8 game road trip
Pau shot 44% on the 8 game road trip

It is hard for any 7 footer who doesn't take 3s to talk **** after that

superkegger
02-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Gasol is a sandy vagina.

DCB/LAL
02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
No Pau no championship. HUSHHHH

wow good one same could be said about Kobe. :rolleyes:

Raph12
02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Gasol is soft, if he wants shots he should demand the ball in the game from his teammates and coach, instead of coyly pointing it out to the media.

jacquewho?
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
shots shots shot shot shot shot shot shot shot shot shot shot!!!

kblo247
02-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Fisher responded to those comments today by basically saying:

"NO MATTER HOW MANY SHOTS YOU GET YOU STILL HAVE TO DO OTHER THINGS LIKE REBOUND, BLOCK SHOTS, GET STEALS, OR TAKE A CHARGE"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B238tsufSrs

I agree with Fish on that, but I also get a feed the dog to make him put in work philosophy for the bigs.

Eric Snow pointed out what separates Odom from Pau and Bynum is that he will put in work on both ends regardless of taking a shot and low, and behold even though he isn't the most aggressive guy he took his average of 9 in the game.

Raph12
02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree with Fish on that, but I also get a feed the dog to make him put in work philosophy for the bigs.

Eric Snow pointed out what separates Odom from Pau and Bynum is that he will put in work on both ends regardless of taking a shot and low, and behold even though he isn't the most aggressive guy he took his average of 9 in the game.

Dude that's bs, Pau should do the little things even if he isn't getting as many touches as he'd like.

Dwight has been a beast on defense since about 5-10 games into the season, despite still not getting touches on the offensive end... Stan challenged his defense and he responded.

And to quote Dwight Howard "I just need to be aggressive on the defensive end, do all of the little things I can do and just be patient on the offensive end"

Just because you don't get your 15 shots per game, doesn't mean you play like ****, Pau needs to stop being soft and just man up on both ends.

kblo247
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Dude that's bs, Pau should do the little things even if he isn't getting as many touches as he'd like.

Dwight has been a beast on defense since about 5-10 games into the season, despite still not getting touches on the offensive end... Stan challenged his defense and he responded.

And to quote Dwight Howard "I just need to be aggressive on the defensive end, do all of the little things I can do and just be patient on the offensive end"

Just because you don't get your 15 shots per game, doesn't mean you play like ****, Pau needs to stop being soft and just man up on both ends.

I'm not arguing with you on that point as that is how Rodman and Grant won rings as the PF in the triangle, and it is why LA looks so much better with Odom on the court. On the other hand Shaq needed, craved, and wanted to eat to put in work so I grew accustomed to that thinking.

Pau is an offensive player and want to have his cake and eat it to. He basically just needs to say what he feels/knows is the truth imo which is that he wants to be force fed early and not touch the ball late with the game on the line.

Some guys need shots to put in work, and he basically stated that he needs to get in rhythm from the start of the game. He picked up 2 silly fouls to start so I don't see why he said that after that particular game.

Pau also back peddled somewhat today after Fish's interview and said well we (him and Drew) should have offensive rebounded or gotten better position as well to get those shots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMSF6fSdEs

I'm interested in seeing how he does tonight as I can see Phil playing his mind tricks and telling Kobe feed him and lets see what he does.

YankeesR#2
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:

The Kobe apologists come out again. How can anyone think “Now we can focus on winning games again.” has anything to do with the media?

Is Gasol a member of the media?

By the way did the Lakers give Garnett a ring? He had as much to do with the Lakers winning last year as he did the Celtics the year before.

kblo247
02-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:

The Kobe apologists come out again. How can anyone think “Now we can focus on winning games again.” has anything to do with the media?

Is Gasol a member of the media?

By the way did the Lakers give Garnett a ring? He had as much to do with the Lakers winning last year as he did the Celtics the year before.

Yeah, KG kicked LA's *** in those 2 meetings last season .... Wait LO slapped his ;)

nipo10847
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Gasol said the truth, ballhogging is never good. He probably cant stand it anymore, he is not Lamar Odom to let someone ballhog games after games.

Raph12
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not arguing with you on that point as that is how Rodman and Grant won rings as the PF in the triangle, and it is why LA looks so much better with Odom on the court. On the other hand Shaq needed, craved, and wanted to eat to put in work so I grew accustomed to that thinking.

Pau is an offensive player and want to have his cake and eat it to. He basically just needs to say what he feels/knows is the truth imo which is that he wants to be force fed early and not touch the ball late with the game on the line.

Some guys need shots to put in work, and he basically stated that he needs to get in rhythm from the start of the game. He picked up 2 silly fouls to start so I don't see why he said that after that particular game.

Pau also back peddled somewhat today after Fish's interview and said well we (him and Drew) should have offensive rebounded or gotten better position as well to get those shots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMSF6fSdEs

I'm interested in seeing how he does tonight as I can see Phil playing his mind tricks and telling Kobe feed him and lets see what he does.

That's pitiful, you can expect it from Shaq, given his personality, but I thought Pau was better than that. Guys like them lack the intensity they need to bring on every given night, that's why the Celts are still good despite being so old.