PDA

View Full Version : KG and illegal screens

oogaboogaman
02-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Why is it that everyone knows that Kevin Garnett sets illegal screens all throughout a game but it rarely is called? The announcers on for the ESPN game on ABC sunday vs. the Lakers pointed this out and were amazed when he did actually get called for it. Then today after they beat the wizards Brendan Haywood got quoted for saying you just expect KG to set illegal screens and never get called for it, just because its part of the game.

Who are some other people who obviously continue to pull illegal moves but almost always get away with it, like all the travels no one gets called for.

nolin
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Why is it that everyone knows that Kevin Garnett sets illegal screens all throughout a game but it rarely is called? The announcers on for the ESPN game on ABC sunday vs. the Lakers pointed this out and were amazed when he did actually get called for it. Then today after they beat the wizards Brendan Haywood got quoted for saying you just expect KG to set illegal screens and never get called for it, just because its part of the game.

Who are some other people who obviously continue to pull illegal moves but almost always get away with it, like all the travels no one gets called for.

perkins. / Noah

SirCalvin81
02-02-2010, 07:30 AM
because their superstars

sixer04fan
02-02-2010, 08:18 AM
because their superstars

x2. have you ever seen dwight howard set a screen? its almost as bad as kg, sometimes worse.

Wilson
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Pau Gasol gets away with a lot of illegal screens as well, although he hasn't done it as often this season. I don't know why so many guys get away with it, but I'm just as confused as to why TV comms. only talk about Kevin Garnett doing it.

mikantsass
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Thats how the NBA works.... any superstar wing player can get gift foul calls and get away with travels..... any superstar big man can get away with illegal screens, over the backs, and illegal boxouts

rapjuicer06
02-02-2010, 09:59 AM
because sometimes the NBA can be a joke. all big men should be ref'd the same as well as all wing/guards should be ref'd the same. none of this bs "star" calls, thats completely bogus

JasonJohnHorn
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
There is a lot of traveling in the league. As for illegal screens, its a tough call. Part of the "pick and roll" is that once your point guard uses you as a pick, you roll after to get open. Sometimes when players roll out or roll in they move to soon or they move with the defender making it hard for the defender to get back to his man. I haven't seen it too many Celtics games this season, but I don't remember seeing many illegal screen in the 08 playoff run and I watched most of those games, nor do I remember seeing it much when the T-Wolves went to the conference finals.

Bottom line is, popular players get calls their way. Its frustrating as a fan of the game, but its jsut something that happens. I think for the most part, since 03, the officials have been much better than they were in years past (outisde of the 06 post season).

Raph12
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Illegal screens have become very common now and aren't called as often as they used to be. But Boston is known for their physical play, if you call each and every tick-tacky foul, their frontcourt would be fouled out before the 4th quarter.

BostonWeedz
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
perkins. / Noah

Perkins definitely doesn't get away with it too much, he's to guaranteed get one or two illegal screen fouls a game.

oogaboogaman
02-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Illegal screens have become very common now and aren't called as often as they used to be. But Boston is known for their physical play, if you call each and every tick-tacky foul, their frontcourt would be fouled out before the 4th quarter.

well the team is mostly a bunch of old guys, so hey if they have to pull illegal moves to keep up then they should be called for it. It would be great for the ref's to step up one game but that will never happen. and KG still a star is kinda becoming a stretch, but then again if there are a dozen articles out there saying how he just isnt the same player then it just shows everyone still thinks he is at 14.7 points per game

#1Mavericksfan
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
K.G. was doing this in the entire 2008 NBA finals vs. the Lakers and the refs where just letting him doing it untill enuff was enuff then the refs started calling it.

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
refs have been so shaky the past few seasons. They have to be more consistent with their calls and get rid of that superstar status treatment.

TopsyTurvy
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Taj Gibson (on the Bulls) gets called for offensive 3 in the key once per game. He was born in the paint...

Ware_Spencer
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
KG is so overrated on the defensive end. He extends his arms on screens and even when he is guarding players. He just pushes everyone and the NBA allows it because he is a star. Its a joke.
He is constantly pushing people on both sides of the court. Its expected on the offensive end. They allow the offensive players to push people. But on the defensive end they allow KG to do whatever he wants.

Kobe can reach all he wants also. He is constantly reaching and not getting called for it. It is star treatment.