PDA

View Full Version : Passing Jerry West Much More Than Another Milestone for Kobe

ko8e24
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I Put this on the NBA Forum, because it's related to two of the all-time NBA greats, Jerry West (#44), the man that our logo was made after, and Kobe Bryant (#8, #24). It is a rarity that you see one player with a single team. Which is why I applaud guys like Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks and Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics for staying with one franchise, and most likely gong to retire with those franchises. :clap:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/01/31/bryant.west/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Passing West much more than another milestone for Kobe

Posted Feb 1 2010 2:42PM

They never did make the adoption official. Kobe Bryant looked up to Jerry West as a father figure in a deference Kobe almost never showed and West spoke of Bryant as one of his kids -- still does in some ways -- but it stopped there. The papers didn't get signed.

So this will have to do: Bryant passing West for No. 1 on the Lakers constellation for most points in franchise history as soon Monday night in Memphis, an uncommon relationship based on emotion uncommonly reduced to statistics.

That's what makes this more than just another milestone. Maybe the Memphis angle too, West having spent five seasons there running basketball operations in the only non-Lakers employment of his NBA life. (The story twist is more gentle than if Bryant broke the record a day earlier at Boston. Jerry West and his tortured history with the Celtics. Don't go there.)

The only other time a number crowded into the Bryant-West relationship was June 2001, as Bryant stood on the podium the afternoon of another championship parade wearing a Lakers 44 jersey. It wasn't because he didn't have any other clean clothes to wear.

Now, West is first on the franchise scoring list with 25,192 points in 932 games (27 per), Bryant is second with 25,164 in 996 games (25.3) and they are on the verge of a full-circle moment that might seem a little surreal. It was The Logo, after all, who set this in motion as Lakers personnel boss in 1996 with Bryant power agent Arn Tellem, a close West friend, in a pre-arranged draft-day deal with the Hornets. Charlotte would take the 17-year-old prodigy from Philadelphia if he was still on the board at No. 13 and flip him to Los Angeles for Vlade Divac, and the dreams of executive, player and representative became reality.

It was also West who nurtured the mega-confident Bryant through the disbelief of not conquering the world five minutes into his pro career, who with frustration mediated the Bryant-Shaquille O'Neal turf wars and who celebrated the many successes through the atypical relationship. Just as now it is West who will watch from afar as Bryant soon passes him for the record.

"I watched him grow into an amazing basketball player," West said. "I watched him grow into a player of the decade. It's been an opportunity for me to watch an incredible player grow up. It's like watching your kids grow up."

The relationship has more distance now. Bryant has a wife and kids and travels the world for marketing campaigns in his so-called down time. West spends about three months a year in his native West Virginia. Bryant moved and is no longer a short drive from West's L.A. residence. West, out of the basketball business at age 71, is taking special pride in charitable work and is particularly busy now as executive director of the Northern Trust Open, the PGA Tour stop this week in Pacific Palisades, Calif.

The two stay in touch occasionally and West catches at least a portion of most Lakers games on TV, but rarely in person. The only time this season was opening night, and that took the organization inviting several former stars to Staples Center to participate in ceremonies as the 2008-09 champions received their rings. Still tremendously popular in his adopted hometown, West was introduced to a huge ovation.

"Just watching him now is pretty darn special for me," West said. "He's in, what, his 14th year now? My goodness. I'm not even sure. He's 31. There are certain players where you say the only opponent they can't beat is age. That's him. But he's still beating the opponent.

"Probably, in all reality, the thing that's most interesting about him is his basketball IQ. When he first came in, he was going so fast. That's not the best thing for a player. He learned to slow down a little bit instead of forcing it. That's how he makes it look so easy. Like a walk in the park. His basketball IQ certainly matches his physical ability now, and that's a special thing."

Fourteenth season is correct. Fourteen seasons, four championships, one Olympic gold medal, one MVP award.

Bryant is ordinarily quick to dismiss any mention of individual achievement, whether statistics or when asked about another MVP chase, but said of this record: "It's really special, especially with this franchise, because this franchise has some of the all-time greats. It's rare when you see one player be with one team for such a period of time."

West. Elgin Baylor. Magic Johnson. James Worthy. All Hall of Famers who spent their entire career as Lakers. And that doesn't even get into Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the league's career scoring leader who got 24,176 of his 38,387 points playing in L.A.

"I don't know ..." Bryant said. "That's the most special record that I've had."

Partly because of who he is passing for No. 1.

"He's the reason I play for the Lakers," Bryant said. "He pulled that trade off, he was able to draft me and mentor me. So it's an honor to be able to pass The Logo."

He's 28 points from tying and 29 from sole possession of the milestone that's more than just another milestone. It's Jerry West and Kobe Bryant. It's not about statistics.

Lakers' Top 10
The top scorers in Lakers history
Name Total
Jerry West 25,192
Kobe Bryant 25,164
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 24,176
Elgin Baylor 23,149
Magic Johnson 17,707
James Worthy 16,320
Shaquille O'Neal 13,895
Gail Goodrich 13,044
Byron Scott 12,780
Jamaal Wilkes 10,601

mp3
02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
:clap:

Ragun
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM

KOOOOOBBBBEEEEEEE BRRRYYAAAANNNNTTTTT

2nd best player of all time...can still pass MJ.

Raph12
02-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Gotta love it when someone stays with one team throughout their career.

KOOOOOBBBBEEEEEEE BRRRYYAAAANNNNTTTTT

2nd best player of all time...can still pass MJ.

Annnnnnnnnnd you just ruined the moment.

JordansBulls
02-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Soon to be great accomplishment.:clap:

bigsams50
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Great accomplishment. Leading scorer on the best Franchise in the NBA.

SA5195
02-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Wilson
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
It would have been something else if he did get the record in Boston. Oh man.

I'm really happy for him though, after being able to watch him grow into the player he is now, it's going to be special to see him get this record.

Congratulations Kobe Bryant :clap:

EDIT: On a side note, a win tonight gets Phil Jackson the record for the most wins by a Lakers coach (he's currently tied with Pat Riley). I completely forgot that until the commentator just reminded me :p

JJ_JKidd
02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Absolutely incredible

smith&wesson
02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Black Mamba all time leading scorer for the La Lakers

2 more rings baby. 2 more rings.

td0tsfinest
02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
wow I really though Kobe was far away from being the Lakers all time leader. It'll be a great achievement.

Dude already has 10 at the start of the 2nd quarter. He could easily pass it today.

My Prediction: by the end of the next season Kobe will be 6th all time in points scored.

Ragun
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM

oh please forgive me. i am so sorry! :cry:

ko8e24
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I'd rather him get the record in LA on Wed. against the Bobcats. I'll be happy if he scores no more than 28 pts 2nite and the Lakers beat the Grizz at Memphis :)

Wilson
02-01-2010, 09:55 PM
wow I really though Kobe was far away from being the Lakers all time leader. It'll be a great achievement.

Dude already has 10 at the start of the 2nd quarter. He could easily pass it today.

My Prediction: by the end of the season Kobe will be 6th all time in points scored.

:speechless: :speechless: To do that he would have to average 130 points per game the rest of the season! :laugh2:

td0tsfinest
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
:speechless: :speechless: To do that he would have to average 130 points per game the rest of the season! :laugh2:

oops...my calculator just screwed me again.

w.e he'll be 6th by next season.

Wilson
02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
oops...my calculator just screwed me again.

w.e he'll be 6th by next season.

That's more attainable...:p

kobe24>lebron23
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
kobe's got 23 points at the half... 6 more points and he's the G.L.O.A.T atleast scoring wise for now

Chacarron
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
I just witnessed history.

_KB24_
02-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Congrats Kobe! :clap:

Wilson
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
He did it! He just scored on a fast break lay-up to tie and break the record. Congrats Kobe :clap:

---
To JiffyMix and Kobe>LeBron, this thread hasn't been moved to the Laker forum because it's not just an everyday event. Please try not to get too off-topic :cheers:

J4KOP99
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Congrats Kobe

TheHoopsProphet
02-01-2010, 11:06 PM
kobe's got 23 points at the half... 6 more points and he's the G.L.O.A.T atleast scoring wise for now

He is the Gloat.

Ragun
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
congrats to the best player today.

kobe24>lebron23
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
congrats kobe GLOAT ... when its all said and done and many years from now i'll be telling my children and grand children how great a player you were/are(still have a chance to be the goat)there will never be another u your simply amazing the best in the game,the best in the planet the best everywhere and now its time for championship number 5!!!!!!!!!! go kobe(mvp) but most importantly go lakers!!!!!!

kArSoN RyDaH
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
mannn i just witnessed history... kobe24>lebron23 your right. my dads always telling me about magic and kareem and all the old laker greats now when i have my fams i can tell them how great kobe was. =]]] great day for kobe. congrats man. you deserve it. =]

MJ-BULLS
02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
contrats to kobe, great accomplishment :clap:

smith&wesson
02-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I didnt get to watch it but thats alot of dam points. smartest, most clutch player in the league.

_KB24_
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Another day at the office for the best player in the world.

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 12:13 AM
good job buddy.

RollinDeep
02-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Congrats, #24. Just another addition to his legacy.

Apophis
02-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Kobe is just pure awesomeness.... What can't he do.. It just shows you why he is the best in the NBA right now and by the time he retires, will be one of the greatest or THEE Greatest of all time..

I wish he was on the Knicks.. :(

SteveNash
02-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I Put this on the NBA Forum, because it's related to two of the all-time NBA greats, Jerry West (#44), the man that our logo was made after, and Kobe Bryant (#8, #24). It is a rarity that you see one player with a single team. Which is why I applaud guys like Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs, Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks and Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics for staying with one franchise, and most likely gong to retire with those franchises. :clap:

I don't know how much praise Kobe and Pierce deserve when Kobe demanded a trade and Pierce was about to until they got Allen and KG.

alencp3
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM

yeah he totaly ruined it :facepalm:

mikantsass
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Congrats to Kobe, it was well deserved

DodgerBulls
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Black Mamba all time leading scorer for the La Lakers

2 more rings baby. 2 more rings.

I wonder why, but very happy with the accomplishment. As much as I hate the Lakers, great job by 24.

DCLAFAN
02-03-2010, 12:12 AM
congrats kobe GLOAT ... when its all said and done and many years from now i'll be telling my children and grand children how great a player you were/are(still have a chance to be the goat)there will never be another u your simply amazing the best in the game,the best in the planet the best everywhere and now its time for championship number 5!!!!!!!!!! go kobe(mvp) but most importantly go lakers!!!!!!

:clap:HAHA! I feel you man