PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for the Celtics to trade Ray Allen to get more depth?

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it time for the Celtics to trade Ray Allen? This is his last year on his contract and he is 34 years old. It is clear the Celtics need to get some more depth on the team as well. Not to mention that Ray has been inconsistent for a while now.

Would you trade him if you were the Celtics GM? If so what would you want in return?

CowboysKB24
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I would want to trade him, but I don't know how much a team can get for this guy. He is getting older. He can shoot the three and foul shots, but he is not a huge threat. He is a role player at best.

iggypop123
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
the only allen that was good today was tony. the problem for them is who do they get? monta is a beast but he is pathetic on defense and small. he needs the ball and rondo has it most of the time.

twoearl
01-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Ray is fine. He is not the reason the C's are looking bad right now. KG is the heart and soul of this team, if he is cant play at an all star level this team will lose period.

Jahari Kavi
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
after watching today's game I would say yes..........

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I would want to trade him, but I don't know how much a team can get for this guy. He is getting older. He can shoot the three and foul shots, but he is not a huge threat. He is a role player at best.

I think they could get Salmons and Hinrich from the Bulls.

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Everybody has bad games. Allen is still one of the best shooters in the league and when the Celtics are pumping on all cylinders Allen is a great piece to have. That said, if the Celtics wants to maintain their title-contending status, they do need to upgrade. I think Rip Hamilton would be the best fit. He's young enough to extend the Celtics title-contending window. He has a game similar to Allen, he's a great shooter (even if he's off a little right now) and he is a solid defender. I think Hamilton would be a great fit in Boston and Detroit needs to dump the contract and clear some space and Allen's contract would give them cap space and also give them some talent.

Iggy would also be great for Boston, though I think the 76ers would look for more in return than an expiring contract.

still1ballin
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Why would they trade those 2 players for an aging Ray Allen? Its not like they are in contention for a championship team. I can see Allen going to a team like the Spurs.

jimbobjarree
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
ak47 for rayrayz

KH12
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Why would they trade those 2 players for an aging Ray Allen? Its not like they are in contention for a championship team. I can see Allen going to a team like the Spurs.

It would free up around $15mil in cap space to ensure they could sign a max FA and another good FA.

Kyben36
01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
If they where smart, they would trade everyone but Rondo, KG Peirce and Ray are all out of thier prime, they should see if they can get soem peices to rebuild, they brought 1 championship around, so I think its time to move on, thye wont be beating the Lakers anyway.

YoungOne
01-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by JordansBulls

that would be great, backup point guard and a good shooting swingman

shep33
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah I started a thread like this too, but IMO I wouldn't trade Ray. The Celts just can't score like they use to. Depth is a problem, but you better get someone in that 2 guard spot who can score at least 16-17ppg. They could trade for Monta, or Iggy, but their shooting declines, and Monta is a small 2 guard who dominates the ball. Iggy would be okay, but can't really shoot that great, though is better on D. It's not Ray's fault, KG isn't the same player he use to be, Pierce is solid but as we saw today Artest basically made him do nothing. I dunno what who they could really get that'll make them that much better. Another thing is that Boston's front line isn't scoring much at all, yeah they can defend, but basically get not much done on putting the ball in the basket. But obviously Boston won't trade Perkins, who along with Rondo I think are the most important players for this team.

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I still don't think of this though, I know Allen is on a slump, but he'll pick it up. Not to mention that All star break is coming up. That should do him some good.

still1ballin
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
It would free up around $15mil in cap space to ensure they could sign a max FA and another good FA.

good point

magichatnumber9
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
The team is getting better as KG gets better. But giving Paul isolation at the end of games is getting pathetic.

Strumpy
01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
ak47 for rayrayz

:puke:

As for trading Allen? no.
PATIENCE MY FRIEND.

mikantsass
01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
everyone is over reacting... the Celts will be fine

td0tsfinest
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM

that's kind of a funny. Going from one contending team to another?

MTar786
01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
ummm.. as a lakers fan who basically hates boston. I'll admit boston played better tonight and should have won. LA just had kobe. n kobe seized the opportunity like he always does n hit a game winner. boston could have beaten the reigning champs. that alone should say they dont need change. BTW i dont care what stats say. bostons D is the best in the league bar none.

now if u ask me about the offseason. whether boston wins the championship or not this seaosn i think after this season ends they should trade ray for rip. rondos passing skills are so good and rips off ball movement is still one of the best in the league. n he has atleast one of the top 5 midrange jumpers in the game today.

Sly Guy
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
I don't see much value coming in return for them if they do. This is the catch for the C's. They went out and added major veteran pieces a couple seasons ago, and now they're stuck with them while their bodies slowly break down. They purchased a championship, they didn't build one.

nipo10847
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

JB always already hs proposed salmons, hinrich/thomas for 7/8 players...lol. He wants some big names in chi-town badly...lol.

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
ummm.. as a lakers fan who basically hates boston. I'll admit boston played better tonight and should have won. LA just had kobe. n kobe seized the opportunity like he always does n hit a game winner. boston could have beaten the reigning champs. that alone should say they dont need change. BTW i dont care what stats say. bostons D is the best in the league bar none.

now if u ask me about the offseason. whether boston wins the championship or not this seaosn i think after this season ends they should trade ray for rip. rondos passing skills are so good and rips off ball movement is still one of the best in the league. n he has atleast one of the top 5 midrange jumpers in the game today.

Umm no!! Rip is done.

Fireworld
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
NO. His presence is higher then his trade value

RadiantShot
01-31-2010, 10:12 PM
No. Just because there has been a tough stretch for the Celtics in the past few games, doesn't mean you should even remotely think about trading Ray Allen. He was one of the main reasons you guys were even contenders when you won the championship. Just because he's old doesn't mean he can't still do wonders for this team. I think trading Ray would do more harm then good, to be honest. The Magic went through a tough 7-11 game stretch, but everything balanced out. I think that the Celtics will start to pick up the pace again after the All-star game. Give it some time, Ray isn't a player you can just trade like that.

Gibby23
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
No.

Public Enemy #1
01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Your guys intelligence continues to amaze me. Speaking to iggypop123 and shep33, why the hell would the Warriors trade their star player for a washed up has been? Yeah sure, he can hit the three with consistency but even that has declined this season. Ellis isn't a poor defender, I know for a fact you guys don't watch Warrior games based on your view of what type of player he is and even though they have one of the worst records in the league it isn't because of Ellis. Ellis isn't a bad defender and your making it sound like the Celtics could get him with a quick call to GS. lol Ellis is one of the most efficient players in the league when he has NBA players around him, right now the Warriors are injury plagued and have been starting 2 D Leaguers for over 25 games now. Ellis isn't a ball hog and is only scoring 30+ every night because there is nobody else to score those points besides him, Curry and Maggette. Get your damn facts straight, you East Coast fans continue to amaze me with your ESPN like knowledge of players. lol

Ty Fast
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM

ray ray on the bulls would be awesome

RollinDeep
01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
The Celtics window is now. Unless trading Allen gives them an upgrade, or a valuable piece that can help them now, I don't see it.

td0tsfinest
01-31-2010, 10:54 PM
ak47 for rayrayz

that is quite intriguing. Push Pierce to the 2. You might have the best defensive front court in the nba.

And D-Will and Ray Ray might make it work as well.

td0tsfinest
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Your guys intelligence continues to amaze me. Speaking to iggypop123 and shep33, why the hell would the Warriors trade their star player for a washed up has been? Yeah sure, he can hit the three with consistency but even that has declined this season. Ellis isn't a poor defender, I know for a fact you guys don't watch Warrior games based on your view of what type of player he is and even though they have one of the worst records in the league it isn't because of Ellis. Ellis isn't a bad defender and your making it sound like the Celtics could get him with a quick call to GS. lol Ellis is one of the most efficient players in the league when he has NBA players around him, right now the Warriors are injury plagued and have been starting 2 D Leaguers for over 25 games now. Ellis isn't a ball hog and is only scoring 30+ every night because there is nobody else to score those points besides him, Curry and Maggette. Get your damn facts straight, you East Coast fans continue to amaze me with your ESPN like knowledge of players. lol

cause of his expiring $ 20 M contract.

deuces
01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
it's not that they have to trade him for more depth, it's just that the celtics know that they do not have a great chance against the other elite teams in the playoffs. Ray allen is their only valuable trading chip on the roster that can get them more talent in return. Not going to get anything for kg, not trading pp or rondo, need kp, and the rest of the team is not very appealing. Even though they would not want to trade allen, he is the only chance they have at getting better

iggypop123
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
$$$. teams want it. expirings are very good chips right now. not just for 2010 but in this economy the cap will likely go down, teams want to avoid the tax. teams like GS mgiht not want to get near it. its not a talent thing a money issue.

still1ballin
01-31-2010, 11:34 PM
No.

I jizzed when I saw your sig:o

bal_ravens
01-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Ray for Mike Miller, Mike James and DeShawn Stevenson? Salaries should be pretty close. Mike Miller's and Mike James' contracts expire, and Stevenson has I believe 1 year, $3.5ish million left after this year.

koreancabbage
01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
try to pry Caron Butler and Mike Miller from Washington with allen's expiring

T-O-R-O-N-T-O
01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
who care boston sucks

jimbobjarree
01-31-2010, 11:40 PM
:puke:

As for trading Allen? no.
PATIENCE MY FRIEND.

hey ak47 is on fire right now. Could push Pierce to the 2 and have AK at the 3. Will improve Boston's defense, size and they get younger. AKs a guy that wont demand alot of offense, but will do a bit of everything. He could guard Rashard Lewis in the playoffs too. And for the Jazz it gets us the 2 we've desperatly needed since Horny left, oh, and a juicy expiring.

Public Enemy #1
01-31-2010, 11:56 PM
I understand the expiring contract that Allen has but why would the Warriors want to trade Ellis? If they wanted to get salary cap relief they would be trying to get rid of Maggette or Biedrins. There has been plenty of rumors of Ellis not wanting to play in GS and the Warriors trying to trade him but they aren't stupid enough to trade him for just an expiring contract, they obviously would want talent in return. Something the Celtics don't really have outside of their starting line up or would be willing to give up.

iggypop123
02-01-2010, 12:02 AM
I understand the expiring contract that Allen has but why would the Warriors want to trade Ellis? If they wanted to get salary cap relief they would be trying to get rid of Maggette or Biedrins. There has been plenty of rumors of Ellis not wanting to play in GS and the Warriors trying to trade him but they aren't stupid enough to trade him for just an expiring contract, they obviously would want talent in return. Something the Celtics don't really have outside of their starting line up or would be willing to give up.

#1 good luck moving those guys and getting anythign valuable back, second reports were GS was very high on curry and want to advance his development while setting themsevles up for 2010 aka amare.

Showmeyourtds
02-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Yes if they want to scrap any hopes of winning a title, no if they are serious at all of having a chance to beat the cavs and magic in the conference finals.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
ak47 for rayrayz

That would be great for the Celtics.

They would be really good on the defensive end.

Not sure if Pierce will be fully effective at the SG position though.

bal_ravens
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
try to pry Caron Butler and Mike Miller from Washington with allen's expiring

That would be like...$20 million. Lol
But I think Caron will be shipped out west if anything.

DLeeicious
02-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I think they should make one more run at it this year and if they can't make it happen they should just blow up the team and build around their younger guys.

MTar786
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
allen for carter? lol

blacknell
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
i can see ray allen playing in dallas

Cool007
02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
IMO, problem isn't Ray Allen. Problem is that Celtics now rely WAY TOO MUCH on Rondo now but the problem is that Rondo is not a scorer that can win you games with Scoring. He will do all those other things to keep you in games but at the end, it will have to be Pierce/Allen/KG to finish it off.

IMO, Allen/Pierce/KG need stop relying on Rondo too much and be aggressive themselves again like they were 2 years ago.

In short, Rondo is playing his game, the big 3 are not - and that is the reason Boston is not as good as they were 2 years ago.

69centers
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
IMO, problem isn't Ray Allen. Problem is that Celtics now rely WAY TOO MUCH on Rondo now but the problem is that Rondo is not a scorer that can win you games with Scoring. He will do all those other things to keep you in games but at the end, it will have to be Pierce/Allen/KG to finish it off.

IMO, Allen/Pierce/KG need stop relying on Rondo too much and be aggressive themselves again like they were 2 years ago.

In short, Rondo is playing his game, the big 3 are not - and that is the reason Boston is not as good as they were 2 years ago.

It's not the Rondo factor. Rondo's upswing in offense is a major plus for the team, as he was the guy everyone left open to double or concentrate on the Big 3, to now he's making teams pay and learn to pay attention to him.

It's Perkins that is getting too many touches down low. In some games, he's getting more shot attempts than Ray Allen, and that is unacceptable to me, even though Perk is #1 in FG%.

This all comes down to coaching, and fixing our offensive woes. We can't be taking Ray Allen deep 3's when we're at home and down 1 point to the Lakers. That's idiotic coaching.

You are right about the big 3 not stepping up on offense. After about the 5 minute mark, it was like no one on the Celtics cared to step up and make plays or shots. What we need is a scorer off the bench. In each of our last 3 losses, the bench lost leads for us in the 4th quarter. Marquis Daniels coming back is not going to solve all that. We need someone like a Nate Robinson, who is going to keep the team moving offensively when the 2nd unit is out there, and not put too much pressure on the older starting unit when they come back into the game in the 4th.

We have a lot of bench/role players, some with expiring contracts, to go after a 2nd unit scorer. We should be making deals like that, and not for Ray.

bostonrules37
02-01-2010, 02:41 PM
im a huge celtics fan and what ive seen is that the cs need a player who can create his own shot. with ray allen if hes not hitting his jump shots then hes useless , his d is average and hes lost a step when it come to his quickness. Iggy or ellis would be a great fit because both those guys can create their own shot but can also shoot the ball. Alot of teams would be interested in allen especially 76ers or warriors due to hie expiring contract which could open up 15 to 20 mill in cap space. we need to do something or we will not go far at all in the playoffs.

RaptorizedKevin
02-01-2010, 02:50 PM

if you want to destory the boston celtics, than danny ainge will do it.
Rondo and hinrich... Jordan yu know bout the bulls, and yu know bout the series, RONDO VS HINRICH? LOL its not gonna happen.

ko8e24bryant
02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
they should trade him
I think he would fit great with phoenix
A great 3 point shooting team
maybe for J Rich

emnherre
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
well how about the knicks for nate robinson and jared jeffries... nate gives them a boost of the bench and jeffried would be a long defender to help out kg. Gives the knicks more cap space.

JordansBulls
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

1. Time To Trade Ray Allen?

Would both teams be happy with a trade (and we're merely speculating here) that sent Allen and a minor player to Chicago for Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas and Jerome James (a 3-for-2 would work, because Boston has left a roster spot open since Lester Hudson was claimed off waivers by Memphis)? Or for Hinrich and Brad Miller?

Either of those deals would clear $9 million off the Bulls' cap for next summer, when they'll be going after a max free agent, and would allow Chicago to remain a viable playoff contender with a shooter who can provide what Hinrich and John Salmons haven't. The Celtics would get another guard who can't quite shoot as well (Hinrich is making only 38 percent of his shots while Allen is at 45 percent) but would gain a far more capable ballhandler and defender.

Moreover, if the Celtics could get a shot-blocker and rebounder like Thomas, it could go a long way toward getting them out of the NBA cellar in offensive boards (where they rank 30th) and restore some of their customary defensive prowess.

Tony_Starks
02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
First off I hate the Celtics.

Be that as it may I think people are hitting the panick button waaaaaay to soon and Ray is not the problem. We all know about the nagging injuries but also their PG depth is pretty thin. Marquis Daniels is there only backup and he's really not even a PG.

If they can trade Tony Allen and Scal for a serviceable backup PG they should be fine. I'd be looking at Portland who has a logjam at point. I would think Blake, Fernandez or Bayless should be available.

bigsams50
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

1. Time To Trade Ray Allen?

Tyrus would be interesting on the Celtics.

effen5
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
if you want to destory the boston celtics, than danny ainge will do it.
Rondo and hinrich... Jordan yu know bout the bulls, and yu know bout the series, RONDO VS HINRICH? LOL its not gonna happen.

:facepalm:

Rodman had problems with the Bulls back in the day and when Rodman joined the Bulls he won titles....

You think a little confrontation will decide whether they are going to trade a player or not?

effen5
02-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Tyrus would be interesting on the Celtics.

Take his lazy ***

bigsams50
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Take his lazy ***

Im not a Celtics fan lol Just that it would be interesting to see if they are able to light a fire under his ***

effen5
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Im not a Celtics fan lol Just that it would be interesting to see if they are able to light a fire under his ***

Hes a selfish player and when he doesn't get his shots he gets lazy....Id trade him for a bag of balls.

Alwaysballin247
02-01-2010, 05:08 PM
this trade would not be for value it would be for the business side of basketball...some team would have 19M coming off the books that is why a trade like this could happen that is why the celtics could get a younger better player and a filler for ray allen its all about the money

Tony_Starks
02-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Wheres the loyalty for a dude that helped bring you a title? Pierce, KG, and Allen should all retire Celtics. How soon they forget....

Ovratd1up
02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Hes a selfish player and when he doesn't get his shots he gets lazy....Id trade him for a bag of balls.

The way he has been playing he has not been lazy. His rebounds, blocks, and steals are way up from his career averages (per minute). He is, however, very, very dumb. They say you can't teach athleticism, but you can teach the game of basketball. Tyrus is the exception. He has no idea how to play real defense and much less offense.

Nighthawk
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Wheres the loyalty for a dude that helped bring you a title? Pierce, KG, and Allen should all retire Celtics. How soon they forget....

Lol...How soon we forget. Thank you Ray. Hes been great. But i want the winning to continue. If Ray Allen nets us some much younger players and gives us depth thets lets go.

thebusnotjerome
02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Using the NBA Trade Machine, I came up 5 trades that involves Ray Allen.

1) Ray Allen to Washington for Antawn Jamison and Mike James
2) Ray Allen to Sacramento for Kevin Martin and Kenny Thomas
3) Ray Allen to Indiana for Mike Dunleavy, Luther Head and T.J. Ford
4) Ray Allen to Houston for Tracy McGrady
5) Ray Allen to Golden State for Monta Ellis and Vladimir Radmonovic

I wouldn't mind any of these trades

JJ_JKidd
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I dont really get it. Its clear that the Celts struggles are bec of KGs injury and Marquis Daniel's- whos supposed to be a solid player for them. I mean, RayRay, PP and KG have won a ring as the core so why break it up? When the Lakers lost to the Celts they waited till Ariza and Bynum were healthy before giving it another go. The result? Another Lakers championship.

Rest KG, make the playoffs and work your a$$3s from there. I still have them and the Lakers as the teams meeting in the Finals.

Vikes_Fan_TC
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I dont really get it. Its clear that the Celts struggles are bec of KGs injury and Marquis Daniel's- whos supposed to be a solid player for them. I mean, RayRay, PP and KG have won a ring as the core so why break it up? When the Lakers lost to the Celts they waited till Ariza and Bynum were healthy before giving it another go. The result? Another Lakers championship.

Rest KG, make the playoffs and work your a$$3s from there. I still have them and the Lakers as the teams meeting in the Finals.

As a diehard Celts fan, I think you are half right. The Lakers will be in the Finals, the Celtics are going to struggle just to make the PLAYOFFS. The injury bug is just a poor excuse for a team with no passion or pride in winning any more. Ever since Christmas, this team doesn't care about winning games. Wallace has been such a complete bust, I would trade him for a cup of coffee at this point. I wish he was the one with KG's injuries, keeping him away would be his best contribution to us this year. Ray Allen is in such a slump now, his best asset to us is his expiring contract. The rest of the bench (House, Davis, Scal, young guys) are not contributing. Only T. Allen is actually contributing off the bench and he is still turnover prone. Perkins has his moments of good and bad, I wish he would get more aggressive on the offensive end, hustling for a rebound. Pierce and Rondo are all we really have left. KG is a shell of his former self. Doc is overrated as a coach too, dont let that ring fool you. We need a huge shakeup and a coach with balls to get in the face of the vets and make them check their ego at the door. I won't be surprised if we end up losing out the Atlantic to Toronto (only a 4.5 game lead now). I'm just not seeing any positives with this team now.

JordansBulls
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Celtics nearly lost in 2008 because of Ray being a no show in the first two series.

mynameismo
02-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Celtics nearly lost in 2008 because of Ray being a no show in the first two series.

I'd take a "Nearly lose" to a "Lose" anyday. Bottomline is Celts won that year.

JJ_JKidd
02-01-2010, 11:28 PM

He was huge in the Finals,,,, right? One thing wouldnt lead to another. Lets not make this a chicken and egg proposition.

Make the playoffs and see what happens from there. Many are saying that the Lakers lost their desire just bec they won last year? Is this the same for the Celts? I dont think so. BOS-LA in the Finals again.

op12
02-02-2010, 12:03 AM
only if an early exit from the playoffs happens. we need to try and make a run this year. right now i just think it is all talk. he can still play at a high level.

td0tsfinest
02-02-2010, 12:25 AM
only if an early exit from the playoffs happens. we need to try and make a run this year. right now i just think it is all talk. he can still play at a high level.

are you saying that if the celtics make an early exit they should trade ray allen?

So you do a sign and trade for him? :confused: