PDA

View Full Version : If you have a Star PG, would you rather have a star SG or SF with him?

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
If you have a Star PG, would you rather have a star SG or SF with him?

Basically more than likely who would the PG play better with for the most part?

NOTE: I know it depends on the player, but in most cases, would a STAR PG work better with a STAR SG or STAR SF?

blastmasta26
01-31-2010, 12:09 PM
This really depends on the players and their playing styles. It depends on who handles the ball, who can move well without the ball, who can shoot etc. So I can't say without knowing who is involved.

RadiantShot
01-31-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll go with a SF. I think Point-Guards and Small-Forwards just work better together, that's all.

TopsyTurvy
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
SF is generally going to have more size, a different set of skills, and will able to fulfill other roles on the court a PG typically can't. Of course, this is all thrown out the window if the SG in question is Kobe.

MiamiHeat
01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Star sf

Kakaroach
01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
SF. When you have a good PG all the SG needs to do is shoot well and defend well.

With a SF, they would have to be able to put the star PG in good situations where they can pass by slashing, cutting, running out into the break, and everything else.

Mane
01-31-2010, 12:41 PM
SF. When you have a good PG all the SG needs to do is shoot well and defend well.

With a SF, they would have to be able to put the star PG in good situations where they can pass by slashing, cutting, running out into the break, and everything else.

that

Wilson
01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
There's so much similarity between SFs and SGs these days that I don't think it makes too much difference. If I had to choose though, I'd take a SF since he's more likely to be the bigger guy who can get more going to the basket.

Slimsim
01-31-2010, 01:21 PM
SF since a PG can play both PG and SG Depending on how well the PG is at scoring.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
The one that slashes more.

I wanna see some alley oops.

ko8e24
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Ya, I think it's usually does depend on the point guard's style of play, but I just feel that the small forward would suit well.

BTW JB, I know what u thinking u sneaky sneaky fella...D Rose and D-Wade :)

Trust me, I'd love to see that as well, and it be great for the NBA if Chicago was back on the map of NBA elitism and league-wide marketing.

(And if Lebron goes to the New York, then the NBA is set with LA, BOS, CHI, NY, and of the course the 3 Texas Teams DAL, SAS, and HOU) ;)

vash9
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
SF. They are bigger, pack more strength.

an SG just needs to stay open and get some good open j's.

Lakersfan2483
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
It all depends on the player because it would be tough to pass on guys like Kobe, Wade, or Roy when pairing them with a great point guard like Jason Kidd.

magichatnumber9
01-31-2010, 03:10 PM
By using genetics alone you would have to go with a kick *** small forward. Geneticaly getting someone like Lebron, Pierce, ect. is not easy. Now a shooting guard is much easier to find. Were talking 6'2-6,5. Weight can actually fluctuate at that position, and makes up interesting match ups. If you have a Kobe esqe player I say take em, but if not grab that small forward who can shoot all over the floor with accuracy. I also think that a good shooting guard doesn't need a great point guard to run a team. Look at Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Joe Johnson.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I mean, its case by case basis, but I would think a great PG's dream would be to have a great SF, since they typically can post up more, and are bigger. Imagine if Paul had LeBron, Durant, or Melo. They can all score any way they like. Having a great SG would be fine, but its another perimeter oriented player basically.

ink
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
I mean, its case by case basis, but I would think a great PG's dream would be to have a great SF, since they typically can post up more, and are bigger. Imagine if Paul had LeBron, Durant, or Melo. They can all score any way they like. Having a great SG would be fine, but its another perimeter oriented player basically.

Exactly. Too much duplication between the guards. Better to have some size for the PG to work with.

ARMIN12NBA
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Which ever player is a lockdown three-pointer. Creates that spacing so that the PG can drive and kick.

ARMIN12NBA
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM

In terms of your point about posting up, then a SG like Kobe would be great as he posts up more than any other guard or small forward (especially when one of the bigs are out and there is more room in the paint).

So, you are right, it really is on a case by case basis. I would go with the lockdown three-point shooter to get that spacing and drive and kick ability.

Kyben36
01-31-2010, 04:19 PM
SF, Guards are too ball dominate IMO

It realy depends on the player though.

NiTEFuRY
01-31-2010, 04:30 PM
As a pistons fan, I observed Chauncey becoming a "star" PG become better with a "star" SG who inflated his numbers.

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm thinking of guys like Deron, CP3, Rose, Rondo, Parker, Mo, etc.

ldc62
01-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Most SGs can play SF. Better question woulda been PF/C or SG/SF.

JasonJohnHorn
01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
It depends on what the rest of the team has. If I got Isiah Thomas, I want Joe Dumar, if I got Magic Johnson, I want James Worthy, and if I got John Paxon I want Michael Jordan ;-)

A great point guard can play and win with a fellow all-star regardless of position, it just matters what other players the team has.

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
if the pg is a passer like kidd, i'd go for an sg anyday.

Kyben36
01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I think it depends too much on the type of player the PG or SF is.

Pass first PG ( rondo ) You would be looking for more of a slashing driving SF ( James )

Drive and Kick PG ( Rose ) You would be looking for more of a 3pt shooter, not exactly a star to take the ball out of their hands ( Granger )

a combo type player ( Deron ) I would say You would want a shooter, but still somebody who can slash and drive ( Deng + 3pt range )

a playre like Paul, I would say 3pt range, but also a player who can get easy shots ( Melo )

Parker, I would think you would be looking for an athletic player ( Iggy/Lebron )

as for SG, I think that the guards take too much ball time to share the ball, especialy 2 star quality players. such as Kidd/Carter conection.

It depends on the player though

mikantsass
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Hmmm another "who can the Bulls pair Rose with" thread..... Great...

td0tsfinest
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
I rather have a big man to be honest. But for this question, SF. Presumably a guy who is a high flyer or a 3 point threat.