PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Lionel using Marcus Williams over Tinsley?

mzgrizz
01-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Is there anyone else out there who is wondering why coach isn't trying Marcus Williams again? Last time I remember him playing was 6-7 games ago and he pulled him for errant shooting, but I think he might do a better job of running the club when Conley is out. Or why didn't Hollins go with OJ at point and Sam Young as 2 guard for the last 6 minutes of the game tonight??
Frustrating loss.........

I Am Awesome-O
01-31-2010, 04:39 AM
They both suck. Tinsley sucks slightly less. IMO, the Grizz need to cut both of them out of the guard rotation. Stick to Conley playing strictly PG, Mayo playing both guard positions, and Young playing SG, with Tinsley getting spot minutes. I'll quote my man bgassassin from the Grizzlies main boards on this exact situation, because I think his assessment was spot-on.

I think the guard rotation should be tightened like the post rotation has been tightened. Just go with Conley, Mayo, and Young. Conley tends to sit first, so move OJ over and let Young come in, then after a few minutes let Conley come back in and sit OJ. And just like Carrol gets spot minutes at PF, you can do the same with Tinsley. Emphasis on spot minutes. This team needs to get used to OJ playing there and the same for OJ so that in desperate scenarios like tonight, it's not a dramatic change. We all know how the PG can affect a team, and in our situation we get to experience the varying degrees (unfortunately) almost every game. In the situations I pointed to last season, OJ at least was moved there early and long enough for the team to get a feel for how he would run it. Those situations also weren't as dire as tonight.

Back in November I was content with Conley as the starter and that hasn't changed. I just think that with what we saw tonight, I feel that we will see it again and the only way to be prepared is for OJ and the team to be more comfortable with him in that role. Conley is our best option as our starter, but I think OJ is our best option as our backup. And if he's viewed as a combo guard, then I think it's time to give him PT at the other guard spot to make that label true especially when looking at this team's current makeup.

drob33
01-31-2010, 05:14 AM
Hillery (sp?) from the CA said that Hollins doesn't see Mayo as a viable option at PG. I personally think that all of our PGs suck. Darren Collison, the Hornets backup, absolutely schooled Conley and had as many assists as Conley averages in 3 games. Unfortunately, this year draft is pretty weak at PG, outside of Wall, and we don't really have any pieces to make a move.

mzgrizz
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Liked bgassassin's assessment,too. OJ looked out of place in the last minute and needs more minutes in that position.