PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Garnett Still An Elite Player?

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Forget the fact he was named to the All Star Team when he shouldn't have been.

Hes currently due $16 Million this season, with 2 more years left on his contract at $40 Million.

I just dont understand this, for a guy averaging 14.7 PPG/7.3 RPG/0.9 BPG and has recurring knee injuries due to his service time in the league for 15 seasons. I understand his value on the team as the "emotional leader" but hes declined each of the last 3 seasons in Boston.

Not really old age, but so much time in the NBA wears a player down.

bostncelts34
01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
IS he was he was? no. But stats on the celtics are deceiving. You got Pierce, Allen, and Rondo who all get touches as well. While Perkins and Sheed also grab alot of the rebounds

NBAfan4life
01-30-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm from Minnesota and Garnett will never be close to the player he was here. He is still a defensive and emotional leader. He still brings a lot of intensity, but he is not worth his contract anymore IMO.

He still has a chance at a few more titles if he could ever recover from his knee woes

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 10:34 PM
no, but he's still a pretty kool player to watch....when he's not acting like a mental ward patient

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
IS he was he was? no. But stats on the celtics are deceiving. You got Pierce, Allen, and Rondo who all get touches as well. While Perkins and Sheed also grab alot of the rebounds

Doesn't matter. If you put KG on another team, maybe back in Minnesota without Jefferson there is no way he could carry a team on his back at this age which an "Elite" player can do.

Hes just too injured/slow at this point in his career. Hes a good role player though.

bigsams50
01-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Hes definately over paid, but he still brings alot to the Celtics if/when healthy. But thats a big if

MJ-BULLS
01-30-2010, 10:37 PM
no, used to be

but he does have significant impact on the team defensively and offensively and he doesn't get as many touches as he used to in MIN.

ManRam
01-30-2010, 10:37 PM
He's still an elite defender. You can look at his offensive numbers and critique him, but you have to keep in mind that he is on a team with a lot of threats/scorers, and a guy in Perk who will rebound the hell out of balls.

Not elite overall. But still a monster/

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Hes definately over paid, but he still brings alot to the Celtics if/when healthy. But thats a big if

What does he bring?

Maybe its due to them not being as dominant as they were a little over a season ago, but it doesn't seem like the Celtics in general are responding to the leadership he brings. Maybe its because he hasnt played enough games, or maybe some of the younger players have grown tired of his act.

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 10:41 PM
He's still an elite defender. You can look at his offensive numbers and critique him, but you have to keep in mind that he is on a team with a lot of threats/scorers, and a guy in Perk who will rebound the hell out of balls.

Not with a defensive rating of 114. He is not that good of a defender. He isn't close to an elite defender.

Fresno

No hes not. If you watched him trying to guard Josh Smith last night and trying to guard Rashard Lewis you'd notice it.

His threat in the post was on defense when he had great leaping ability and could swat the hell out of shots, he doesn't seem like he can do that anymore. Maybe it is because he is coming off of a knee injury, but he struggled early in the season also, but he was coming off of a knee injury then also.

td0tsfinest
Nope.

But there aren't a lot of 34 year old players (if any) that are still elite players.

Cubs Win
01-30-2010, 10:43 PM
I used to love watching the Minnesota Garnett but his 14/7 numbers would indicate no.

He's also a giant douchebag. That is all.

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Nope.

But there aren't a lot of 34 year old players (if any) that are still elite players.

Tim Duncan
Chauncey Billups
Steve Nash

Thats about it in terms of guys 33 & older.

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Tim Duncan
Chauncey Billups
Steve Nash

see those guys are debatable.

They're all slowing down, their bodies aren't what they used to be. Pop even has DUncan sitting off back-to-backs.

Becks2307
01-30-2010, 11:18 PM
see those guys are debatable.

They're all slowing down, their bodies aren't what they used to be. Pop even has DUncan sitting off back-to-backs.

yeah but they are all doing ALOT better than KG...ALOT BETTER

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 11:22 PM
yeah but they are all doing ALOT better than KG...ALOT BETTER

They are. I'm not backing up KG at all. I'm just saying that there aren't alot of 33+ elite players in the league.

TheWatcher34
01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
KG will show you!

Bulls_fan90
01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
KG has a HUGE impact on the Celtics. Stats don't always show what he does on the court. Put it this way: With KG the Celtics would be title contenders
Without KG: I could see them losing in the first round (which they nearly did last year). Hate him or love him he's been a key player for Boston.

Jays Claw
01-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Kevin Garnett. :injury:

LanceUpperCut
01-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't know I never see him play anymore.

Raph12
01-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Two bad games and people are already giving up on KG/Boston.

Kakaroach
01-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Is he elite statistically? No. But when he is on the court, the Celtics are a much different team. Their a whole lot better offensively and defensively. I'd consider him right up there just because of his leadership and passion.

uncleben989
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
let me get this straight PSD mods, i get banned for baiting in the heat forum, which if you guys can go and check, i still cant see where i baited...but FRESNO isnt banned? are you f###en kidding me!? thats plain dumb

jetsforever
01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
Still a good player and I think that he does help the Celtics when he is on the court more then when they are without him. He was once one of the best in the league so its obvious he is going to wear down with him aging.

He is a good leader as well, although I dont like him

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Forget the fact he was named to the All Star Team when he shouldn't have been.

Hes currently due $16 Million this season, with 2 more years left on his contract at $40 Million.

I just dont understand this, for a guy averaging 14.7 PPG/7.3 RPG/0.9 BPG and has recurring knee injuries due to his service time in the league for 15 seasons. I understand his value on the team as the "emotional leader" but hes declined each of the last 3 seasons in Boston.

Not really old age, but so much time in the NBA wears a player down.

Yes he is.

Chronz
01-31-2010, 03:18 AM
Not with a defensive rating of 114. He is not that good of a defender. He isn't close to an elite defender.

Your looking at his offensive rating

LeBroom
01-31-2010, 05:42 AM
Kevin Garnett is still an Elite TRASH-TALKER in this league :o

vash9
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
He's better than Yi Jianlian by 2402032032 miles.

I think he's not an Elite, but still a good player.

Joshtd1
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
No not anymore.

magichatnumber9
01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
No not anymore.Do you care to elaborate or will that just slow down your post count race to 20,000posts

Gibby23
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Your looking at his offensive rating

Yes I was. He is still an elite defender.

Chronz
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
LOL yea, a 114 rating defensively on that team would be beyond putrid, I actually dont think its possible but if it were hed be worse than Nash defensively

J_M_B
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Nope..

kozelkid
01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Tim Duncan
Chauncey Billups
Steve Nash

The difference between those players and KG is huge. He has logged FAR more minutes then they have since he came from high school.
He's a high level role player at this point. His defense is good, but I wouldn't say elite. Offensively, he's more of a mid range shooter more than anything. I'd compare him to Aldridge at this point.

kozelkid
01-31-2010, 05:29 PM
KG has a HUGE impact on the Celtics. Stats don't always show what he does on the court. Put it this way: With KG the Celtics would be title contenders
Without KG: I could see them losing in the first round (which they nearly did last year). Hate him or love him he's been a key player for Boston.

That's true. His presence alone appears to make them play much better, when in reality I really can't say he's been that great.

HoopsDrive
01-31-2010, 06:07 PM

+1

He's not in the same level as the KG in Minny but he's still a damn good PF, better than a lot of the bigs in other teams.

He's a key piece for the Celts, without him, Boston would never be title contenders.

td0tsfinest
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
He's better than Yi Jianlian by 2402032032 miles.

I think he's not an Elite, but still a good player.

it's funny how when Yi was coming into the league, people( of the repbulic) were comparing him to KG. :facepalm:

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 08:18 PM
i just don't think he is anymore.

My2centsMel
01-31-2010, 11:23 PM
K.G. may have seen numbers go down in the last few seasons. But he still remains the most intense player in the league. And the celtics still remain a championship caliber team. IF i was ainge I would be looking for energy to come off bench.

koreancabbage
01-31-2010, 11:34 PM
No, he's not an elite player.

Maybe it's the big 3 mentality where everyone's scoring goes down, but KG hasn't been the same player like he was in Minny since he got the injury(ies) He's still intense when playing and plays the game right- which is play hard every night and never give up.

Defensively, he's an elite defensive player. He shuts doesn opposing PFs left right and center. Like the game today against the Lakers, granted Gasol only took 9 shots in the game and finished with 11- he warrants Gasol to think twice before entering KG's defensive end. I just think he's a team captain who holds everyone responsible for their assignment. He's also a great weak side defender as well

Gibby23
01-31-2010, 11:58 PM
He can still talk trash with the best of them. The wat he wastalking to Bynum after he hit a jump shot on Bynum, and then the next play Bynum dunked on his head.

Raoul Duke_91
02-01-2010, 12:20 AM
let me get this straight PSD mods, i get banned for baiting in the heat forum, which if you guys can go and check, i still cant see where i baited...but FRESNO isnt banned? are you f###en kidding me!? thats plain dumb

lol!!! are you tattling?! i think thats a ban. :cool:

CowboysKB24
02-01-2010, 12:37 AM
No. He is not elite.

Elite is Kobe, LeBron, Melo, Durant, CP3, Howard, and others.

He is not the threat and dominate player he once was.

nipo10847
02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
KG is still a monster. KG and Celtics are smart. He realizes he doesn't have anything to prove as an individual player now. He is not taking risk. You guys will see his real game in the playoffs. But he will never avg 20/10 anymore simply bcz his game went down a bit and his plays in a team that doesn't require him to grab 12/13 rbs. Celtics play as a team more than any other teams in the league. They have enough weapons at both ends. That's why KG doesn't look like his old self. He still is the monster for their championship hope imo.

JayW_1023
02-01-2010, 06:20 AM
Naw. But he is a difference maker...sort of a SUPER role player in that sense.