PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys really think the Pau Gasol trade was a steal?

AI4MVP
01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I really honestly dont believe that the pau gasol trade was a steal for the lakers at all whatsoever.

First of all, i ask of all of u to watch a lakers game, then watch a Grizzlies game. In my opinion, Marc Gasol is/will be just as good as his brother, if not better becuz of his size and strength. Hes also much tougher then Pau. Hes shooting better, and hes just as good a defender.

The rest of the package was:

Kwame Brown
Javaris Crittenton
2 first round picks

I know he didnt stay with them but were talking about back then, Kwame Brown. We all know he didnt live up to his number 1 overall pick hype, but hes actually a very servicable backup center. Also, Javaris Crittenton was a guard that had alot of potential at the time. you add the 2 first round picks...i honestly believe it was a huge steal for the grizzlies

trading away Pau Gasol for a younger, potentiallly better version of Pau, a very decent back up center, a young guard with potential, and 2 first round picks. i dont see how thats a steal at all for the lakers.

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes.

Marc Gasol will not be better than Pau, Marc is 25 and isn't as skilled offensively as Pau and also is immobile. Marc has a good game but hes a 4th option on a good team while Pau was the #1 option for Playoff teams in Memphis and is the #2 option for the NBA Champions.

albertc86
01-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Pau Gasol trade was a steal. The Lakers would not be vying for a repeat if they had Marc.

ManRam
01-30-2010, 10:05 PM
There is no way you can convince me it was anything but a steal.

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Pau Gasol trade was a steal. The Lakers would not be vying for a repeat if they had the Marc.

Pretty much.

Can you imagine a frontcourt of Marc & Bynum? That would be the slowest frontcourt in the NBA, 2 slow big men lumbering down the court on defense.

AI4MVP
01-30-2010, 10:12 PM
im just sayin. We teams are trying to unload star players(as the grizz were to pau), people almost never get equal value. I think it was a very good deal for the grizz

ChiSox219
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
If this was a steal what do you call:

Roy for Foye
Billups for Iverson
VC for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams

Or any of the dozens of trades that greatly benefited only one side

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
im just sayin. We teams are trying to unload star players(as the grizz were to pau), people almost never get equal value. I think it was a very good deal for the grizz

No it wasn't.

The Grizzlies unloaded Pau when they were trying to sell part of the Franchise to an ownership group featuring Laetner(sp?) and Brian Davis, former Duke Blue Devils. When that fell through they ended up looking stupid, ticket sales suffered even more, and they ended up basically doing the same thing in acquiring Zach Randolph for absolutely nothing.

If Memphis didn't trade Gasol.

You would have a core of Mayo/Gasol/Gay to build around which actually with a good bench, and of course resigning Rudy, they could contend for a NBA Title.

ChiSox219
01-30-2010, 10:21 PM
No it wasn't.

The Grizzlies unloaded Pau when they were trying to sell part of the Franchise to an ownership group featuring Laetner(sp?) and Brian Davis, former Duke Blue Devils. When that fell through they ended up looking stupid, ticket sales suffered even more, and they ended up basically doing the same thing in acquiring Zach Randolph for absolutely nothing.

If Memphis didn't trade Gasol.

You would have a core of Mayo/Gasol/Gay to build around which actually with a good bench, and of course resigning Rudy, they could contend for a NBA Title.

That team couldn't afford Gasol anyway, they were trying to move him for a while. I think they got great value for a salary dump, Marc Gasol is going to be an all-star

AI4MVP
01-30-2010, 10:27 PM
If this was a steal what do you call:

Roy for Foye
Billups for Iverson
VC for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams

Or any of the dozens of trades that greatly benefited only one side

THOSE are called steals. When you get a franchise young center/pf in return its not called a steal. Yes it won the lakers the championship, but the comparisons pre-pau gasol isnt fair becuz marc never stepped foot on the court for the lakers and we never woulda known how good the lakers wud have been if marc just played for la

kblo247
01-30-2010, 10:28 PM
I think it was a clearance sale, not a steal.

They got Pau for basically Marc's rights because Memphis knew Marc could play because he attended his brother's practices and what not. They saw something in the kid that they liked.

Could they have gotten more? Maybe

Would it have likely saved money had they got what they wanted from Chicago in the long run? No

Had Pau wore out his welcome after not winning a playoff game, generally not being aggressive enough, getting hurt playing for Spain, and being perceived as soft throughout the league? Yes

Good
- Kwame was instant savings
- Gay developed quicker
- Marc was the tough, hard working big they needed
- They were going to be in the lottery anyway so they netted Mayo and Conley
- Their savings allowed them to get Randolph who isn't as good as Pau but is a better fit as a #1 option because he is aggressive whereas Pau wouldn't attempt over 15 shots like they needed him to, to be dominate

Bad
- Critter didn't pan out
- They wasted a draft pick from the trade on Authur
- They didn't utilize McKie in any coaching capacity, and instead just used some of the cash LA sent to pay him off.

They gave Pau away but they got what they needed and what they planned on like when Walmart discounts an item to make room for another item. Had they not done that, it would have been a complete steal.

Fresno
01-30-2010, 10:31 PM
That team couldn't afford Gasol anyway, they were trying to move him for a while.
They had better offers for Gasol previously then the one they traded him for. I remember Chicago was after Gasol hard.

I think they got great value for a salary dump, Marc Gasol is going to be an all-star

If Marc Gasol becomes an All Star it wont be with Memphis, 4th options dont go to All Star Games unless they are Allen Iverson. On that same topic, Gasol becomes a Free Agent after next season during the same offseason as ZBO's contract expires. They drafted Thabeet for that very reason.

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
It was a steal.

Marc is good but he'll never be as good as Pau. Pau was a franchise guy, I just can't see Marc doing that. The first first rounder turned into Donte Greene who was traded away. If will all depend on who they get this year w/ the other first round pick.

_KB24_
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
When the trade happened, I thought it was highway robbery. I could not believe how we could literally trade our trash for an All Star. But after a while, it seemed like a fair deal considering what Memphis wanted. They got to shed Gasol's contract, get a great expiring contract in Kwame, a young PG, and a lite version of Pau to go along with a couple picks. Not that bad of a deal when you look at it from Memphis's point of view. From the Lakers POV, straight highway robbery.

bal_ravens
01-30-2010, 11:23 PM
The main purpose was for the Grizzlies to cut payroll. They had better offers with better players on the table, but they got what they wanted. Picks, expiring contract and young cheap players.

DCB/LAL
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
We've had this discussion like 10 times this past year here is the 11th.

Both teams got what they were looking for its not the Grizzles or the Lakers job to worry about what every other team and fans thinking about the Trade.

The Grizz wanted cap relief they got that.
The Lakers needed a post player they got that.

So in the end both teams got what they were looking for regardless of what any other team or fan thinks fair trade.

Im sure there were other offers the Grizz could of taken but they choose the Lakers offer for a reason cause its what THEY WANTED!

Afridi786
01-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Steal, Grizzlies lucked out with Marc Gasol, nobody knew he would this good.

kblo247
01-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Steal, Grizzlies lucked out with Marc Gasol, nobody knew he would this good.

You mean the guys who have seen him play before for years while tagging along with his bro didn't possibly see potential in him to be a 15 and 10 big?

Afridi786
01-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Pau was the 3rd overall pick, Gasol was the 48th, so obviously most people didn't.

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
It was a great trade for both teams.

For the Lakers you need to gauge the success of the team after the trade. Since the trade they have made the NBA finals twice in as many season and have won a title. Would they have been able to do that without making that trade? Likely not. Since the goal of every team is to win the title and since the trade enabled the Lakers to do that, it was a great trade for them.

For the Grizzlies, they had a lottery team and a franchise player worthy or a near max-contract. Its not worthy shelling out big bucks for a losing team so they cleared the books, got some talent and have already entered the .500 club in the West and look to be in the playoff hunt this year.

I'd have to scratch my head at anybody who sees this as a bad trade for either team but most especially for the Lakers.

Raph12
01-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Marc is not Pau...

Yes it was a steal.

Teeboy1487
01-30-2010, 11:58 PM
It was a steal and I loved it. :clap:

The Smurf
01-31-2010, 12:10 AM

For the Lakers you need to gauge the success of the team after the trade. Since the trade they have made the NBA finals twice in as many season and have won a title. Would they have been able to do that without making that trade? Likely not. Since the goal of every team is to win the title and since the trade enabled the Lakers to do that, it was a great trade for them.

For the Grizzlies, they had a lottery team and a franchise player worthy or a near max-contract. Its not worthy shelling out big bucks for a losing team so they cleared the books, got some talent and have already entered the .500 club in the West and look to be in the playoff hunt this year.

I'd have to scratch my head at anybody who sees this as a bad trade for either team but most especially for the Lakers.

this. Especially after seeing the Grizzlies improve so much this year. Do we know that the Grizzlies didnt see a lot of potential in Marc Gasol? Additionally, they were going nowhere with Pau so they made a good move. The Lakers obviously did well on the trade.

WITZ
01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Pau Gasol trade was a steal. The Lakers would not be vying for a repeat if they had Marc.

More like they wouldn't even have gotten the title without Pau.

vash9
01-31-2010, 12:35 AM
It was a steal. Pau Gasol was crucial for the Lakers in getting their Championship..

Lakers got a Championship in a few years after that trade.

Grizzlies rebuilt slowly and good, but have gone nowhere.

RaiderLakersA's
01-31-2010, 12:43 AM

This.

Do you know who really saw this deal as a STEAL? The Grizzlies.

Keep in mind that other teams were also vying for Pau and put even more on the table for him. For whatever reason, Memphis didn't like what they were offering. Clearly they saw MORE VALUE in Lakers players and the draft picks.

Unless someone shows us pictures of a Grizzlies' official signing a contract at gunpoint, we should accept the Gasol deal as a fair trade for both parties. Neither the Lakers nor the Grizz are experiencing buyer's (barter's?) remorse presently.

And I think any further threads about the deal should be closed automatically going forward. We're not covering any new ground here.

SteveNash
01-31-2010, 01:13 AM
It was a steal as I proved here:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446957

/thread

NiTEFuRY
01-31-2010, 01:23 AM
I vote NO on the steal because it helped both franchises go in the direction they needed - it was not as one sided as we all think. It did benefit the Lakers greater/faster as we saw but I think long term Pau would not have signed that extension / they couldnt afford it and they can get the young talent they wanted.

mzgrizz
01-31-2010, 01:29 AM
At the time I thought it was a steal for LA, but Pau clearly was not doing anything to move Memphis forward; in fact we were moving backwards after they lost in the playoffs 3 years in a row. I don't think anyone here thought Marc was going to as good as he is. No hard feelings in what we have; which is a great young core(youngest team in the league) and what we NEED now is bench depth. Personally, I was even glad that he moved on. Z-Bo as his "replacement" has been WAY beyond anything I imagined.

heathonater
01-31-2010, 02:11 AM
no doubt. although marc gasol has become a pretty good player, the lakers moved from being the fifth to eigth best team in the west to nba champions without giving up any significant players.

kblo247
01-31-2010, 02:26 AM
It was a steal. Pau Gasol was crucial for the Lakers in getting their Championship..

Lakers got a Championship in a few years after that trade.

Grizzlies rebuilt slowly and good, but have gone nowhere.

If Memphis wins 1 playoff game this post season then they would have gone further than Pau ever took them ;)

knickfan4life
01-31-2010, 02:43 AM
it was a BUST in Kwame, Kwame had hype in the wizards, not in LA, by the time he was in LA, everyone already knew he was a BUM, so you have a BUM in kwame, javaris something, another BUM, and 2 first round picks from a team that has kobe and will get pau gasol to make them a championship team, that first round pick automatically becames the FIRST pick in the SECOND ROUND, so you have a bum in kwame, a bum in javaris crittinton and 2 2nd round picks, i KNOW thats a steal, because they didnt know they would get marc gasol, they got lucky with him... this is not even a debate, close this forum

knickfan4life
01-31-2010, 03:15 AM
If Memphis wins 1 playoff game this post season then they would have gone further than Pau ever took them ;)

put pau on that team NOW with rudy gay and mayo and zbo and see where they go, thats a dangerous team, they r like the kings in 96 who were giving teams a run for their money, they got real good after that, dont sleep on memphis. but memphis made a good trade, they got rid of a heavy salary for a year or 2 until they became a respectable team, now they added it back in z-bo, not a bad deal i think, BUT, thye gave him away for free, they cuda added real good young talent with pau. imagine adding a player like ariza to that team on top of what it is now, they would be even better, they didnt have to take kwame.

AI4MVP
01-31-2010, 03:36 AM
it was a BUST in Kwame, Kwame had hype in the wizards, not in LA, by the time he was in LA, everyone already knew he was a BUM, so you have a BUM in kwame, javaris something, another BUM, and 2 first round picks from a team that has kobe and will get pau gasol to make them a championship team, that first round pick automatically becames the FIRST pick in the SECOND ROUND, so you have a bum in kwame, a bum in javaris crittinton and 2 2nd round picks, i KNOW thats a steal, because they didnt know they would get marc gasol, they got lucky with him... this is not even a debate, close this forum

um actually budddy get ur facts straight. they DID know they were getting Marc Gasol. Its not like they selected him with one of there draft picks they got from the lakers. The Lakers already owned the rights to Marc Gasol but he stayed in SPain to play(just like ricky rubio is) so they traded directly FOR the rights of Marc Gasol

Sixerlover
01-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Yes. Yes it was.

Spurred1
01-31-2010, 04:17 AM
Sort of was a steal, but the Grizzlies did accept the trade willingly, I assume. But it is working out really well for both teams so no need to keep discussing it. The Grizz look like they'll keep improving with experience and age. Randolph has been a huge surprise for that team.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-31-2010, 04:46 AM

Why we need to close PSD???:confused:

clehmun
01-31-2010, 05:02 AM
They had better offers for Gasol previously then the one they traded him for. I remember Chicago was after Gasol hard.

If Marc Gasol becomes an All Star it wont be with Memphis, 4th options dont go to All Star Games unless they are Allen Iverson. On that same topic, Gasol becomes a Free Agent after next season during the same offseason as ZBO's contract expires. They drafted Thabeet for that very reason.

Ever heard of a guy named Al Horford?

RollinDeep
01-31-2010, 05:35 AM
put pau on that team NOW with rudy gay and mayo and zbo and see where they go, thats a dangerous team, they r like the kings in 96 who were giving teams a run for their money, they got real good after that, dont sleep on memphis. but memphis made a good trade, they got rid of a heavy salary for a year or 2 until they became a respectable team, now they added it back in z-bo, not a bad deal i think, BUT, thye gave him away for free, they cuda added real good young talent with pau. imagine adding a player like ariza to that team on top of what it is now, they would be even better, they didnt have to take kwame.

The contracts wouldn't have worked out with Ariza. Ariza was making a couple mil I believe. Kwame's contract was the centerpiece.

As for Ariza making them better, I dunno so much about that. I think I just heard a stat that he has the worst fg% of any starter in the league. Yikes.

PurpleJesus
01-31-2010, 05:56 AM
It wasnt as big a steal as people thought it was...For what each team wanted, it was pretty fair.

Lakers wanted a guy who could take some pressure off of Kobe offensively, and they got it, Pau was, and still is a giant help for the Lakers...he was a huge part for their most recent ring, and he will be a huge part in there defense for their next ring

Memphis is a small market, and they need to make trades like this to make themsleves relevant in the future. Memphis got a legitimate young piece in Marc, plus they made a good cap move, and got two first round picks...the picks arent that special considering they are the Lakers picks, which means they are more like a second round pick than anything...but even if you take away the picks...

Marc Gasol + the money saved is almost equal to Pau

both teams got exactly what they wanted, and then some

it might take a small market fan to understand this though...i root for the timberwolves.

PurpleJesus
01-31-2010, 06:01 AM
um actually budddy get ur facts straight. they DID know they were getting Marc Gasol. Its not like they selected him with one of there draft picks they got from the lakers. The Lakers already owned the rights to Marc Gasol but he stayed in SPain to play(just like ricky rubio is) so they traded directly FOR the rights of Marc Gasol

A non-wolves fan who actually understands the Rubio situation...:clap:

kArSoN RyDaH
01-31-2010, 06:07 AM
well marc gasol i believe was fatter and wasnt as good as he is now but at the time that trade was a steal. a big steal. but now im starting to think the lakers might be better off with just bynum. who knows? lol

kikeyanez
01-31-2010, 06:42 AM
There is no way you can convince me it was anything but a steal.

the trade took the lakers to two nba finals an another championship! grizzlies got what?:clap:

24/7
01-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Kwame Brown is NOT a decent backup center. He is NOT a decent anything.

nolin
01-31-2010, 07:31 AM
I really honestly dont believe that the pau gasol trade was a steal for the lakers at all whatsoever.

First of all, i ask of all of u to watch a lakers game, then watch a Grizzlies game. In my opinion, Marc Gasol is/will be just as good as his brother, if not better becuz of his size and strength. Hes also much tougher then Pau. Hes shooting better, and hes just as good a defender.

The rest of the package was:

Kwame Brown
Javaris Crittenton
2 first round picks

I know he didnt stay with them but were talking about back then, Kwame Brown. We all know he didnt live up to his number 1 overall pick hype, but hes actually a very servicable backup center. Also, Javaris Crittenton was a guard that had alot of potential at the time. you add the 2 first round picks...i honestly believe it was a huge steal for the grizzlies

trading away Pau Gasol for a younger, potentiallly better version of Pau, a very decent back up center, a young guard with potential, and 2 first round picks. i dont see how thats a steal at all for the lakers.

what are you :smoking:. lakers ****ed the grizzlies in that deal. are you serious?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-31-2010, 07:35 AM
The contracts wouldn't have worked out with Ariza. Ariza was making a couple mil I believe. Kwame's contract was the centerpiece.

As for Ariza making them better, I dunno so much about that. I think I just heard a stat that he has the worst fg% of any starter in the league. Yikes.

Sorry, brotha but haven't you heard about Chris Duhon!
He's shooting 34% from the field
Ariza is shooting 38%

nolin
01-31-2010, 07:36 AM
THOSE are called steals. When you get a franchise young center/pf in return its not called a steal. Yes it won the lakers the championship, but the comparisons pre-pau gasol isnt fair becuz marc never stepped foot on the court for the lakers and we never woulda known how good the lakers wud have been if marc just played for la

You should be banned for this nonsense.

nolin
01-31-2010, 07:47 AM
It wasnt as big a steal as people thought it was...For what each team wanted, it was pretty fair.

Lakers wanted a guy who could take some pressure off of Kobe offensively, and they got it, Pau was, and still is a giant help for the Lakers...he was a huge part for their most recent ring, and he will be a huge part in there defense for their next ring

Memphis is a small market, and they need to make trades like this to make themsleves relevant in the future. Memphis got a legitimate young piece in Marc, plus they made a good cap move, and got two first round picks...the picks arent that special considering they are the Lakers picks, which means they are more like a second round pick than anything...but even if you take away the picks...

Marc Gasol + the money saved is almost equal to Pau

both teams got exactly what they wanted, and then some

it might take a small market fan to understand this though...i root for the timberwolves.

Not really you take pau off the team in put Marc on and I guarentee you they wouldnt be going for there 2nd championship this year. So in this case alone it is a steal. Its not like memphis has even sniffed the playoffs and they wont again this year.

JordansBulls
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM

Exactly!! It would be a bunch of unproven unconsistent guys on that team. You never know what you would get from guys in the playoffs.

RadiantShot
01-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Roy for Foye will go down as one of the stupidest trades in history now.

Another one I thought which was probably a steal is :

Orlando Magic Trade :
Tracy McGrady
Juwan Howard
Reece Gaines
Tyron Lue

Houston Trades :
Steve Francis
Kelvin Cato
Cuttino Mobley

I think we got robbed in that trade. T-mac was still in his prime, we could've gotten way more then Steve...

RaiderLakersA's
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Exactly!! It would be a bunch of unproven unconsistent guys on that team. You never know what you would get from guys in the playoffs.

Conjecture.

The Lakers were in first place before we acquired Pau. We lost Bynum and needed an inside presence and complement to Kobe for sure...but there's no way to know that we wouldn't have acquired someone else that following off-season to fill that role.

I won't bother going down the list of possible additions the Lakers could have added last year in lieu of Pau, but you can. Review the projected player movement at the end of the 2008-2009 season and you tell me if we couldn't have added someone that would have put us in a position to win the title against Orlando last year and possibly repeat this year. I'm sure you won't have to search very far. And given all of the teams that are trying to cut payroll, as where the Lakers have no problems paying the lux tax, I'm sure instead of griping (STILL) about the Pau trade, folks would whine about how Bosh or Boozer or Amare or David Lee or God knows who else is with the Lakers and how that's a steal.

Hawkeye15
01-31-2010, 01:42 PM
It gave the Lakers a player who contributed to a Championship. It gave Memphis cap relief and the rights to Marc, who looks like he will be a good player. But until Memphis gets into the playoffs from Marc, and that money they got on the cap gives them 55 wins, its a complete steal for LA. They got a ring from the trade. You can't convince me that if LA would not have made that trade, they win the ring last year

PurpleJesus
01-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Not really you take pau off the team in put Marc on and I guarentee you they wouldnt be going for there 2nd championship this year. So in this case alone it is a steal. Its not like memphis has even sniffed the playoffs and they wont again this year.

right, read my hole post that you quoted, I agree with you...but in Memphis, Pau was the main guy, Memphis wasnt going to go anywhere with Pau as the main man, so he needed to go, and considering he needed to go, Memphis got a good deal.

RaptorizedKevin
01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
it was a steal. if this trade didnt happen, kobe would had been traded, so it was a steal, because yu got to keep kobe and become a contender, to win a championship.

Team*Chicago
01-31-2010, 03:41 PM
We all know that was a steal that the Lakers got from the Grizzlies and the Grizzlies was just dumb enough to accept the offer.

ldc62
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Marc is a good player, but Pau is way better. To me its still a steal.

mzgrizz
01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
If you have talent but a piss poor whiny attitude player whose numbers were sliding(which Pau DEFINITELY was at the end of his time here) and you get basically Marc and Z-Bo back; it was not a steal in the now. BEFORE this year, yes, it was a steal.

aZekuiS
01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
It wasn't that Memphis made a horrible decision by getting rid of Pau, it was they could have gotten much better talent along with the expiring contracts from other teams.