PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Athleticsm + Jamal Crawford Acquisition Enough to Beat Celtics in Playoffs?

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Besides the fact that the Hawks swept the season series 4-0 (including 3-0 in January, and yes, 2 of those games w/o KG)

With Hawk's youth and athleticism, experienced players (Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby etc.) and acquision of Jamal Crawford be enough to eliminate the Celtics in a 7-game series in the playoffs?

Thoughts.

Becks2307
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
yep

dtmagnet
01-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah I'd say so, it would still be perceived as an upset though.

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I think to become more legit, the Hawks should go after a solid big man at the trade deadline. Not like a superstar, but a decent guy who is a career avg guy of 10-15 ppg and 8-10 rpg to match Boston's bigs of KG, Sheed, Perk, Glen Davis and Shelden Williams. I think a guy like Marcus Camby from the Clips could be huge. he's a terrific rebounder and shot blocker, and can give u 7-10 ppg if he came of the bench for Hawks. And he has experience (Knicks 99 in finals), and the veteran leadership.

Clippers ain't goin nowhere this season, Blake Griffin will play alongside Kaman next yr, so might as well get rid of his salary

bbd24
01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
If the Celtics are healthy and KG actually could run up the floor, NO. Decent series but it will end up just like it did the last time. Hawks going home, Celtics continue on.

Jamal Crawford is as inconsistent as they come. I wouldn't bet on him during any 7 game playoff series. He's proven me right too many times.

Tony_Starks
01-30-2010, 04:32 PM
If the Hawks have homecourt advantage, most definitely! They took them to 7 games before without homecourt and without Jamal Crawford. Since then the Hawks have gotten better and the Celtics have gotten older and worse.

Boston has problems with young athletic teams, ask the Bulls.

MiamiHeat
01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
yes.

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
If the Celtics are healthy and KG actually could run up the floor, NO. Decent series but it will end up just like it did the last time. Hawks going home, Celtics continue on.

Jamal Crawford is as inconsistent as they come. I wouldn't bet on him during any 7 game playoff series. He's proven me right too many times.

so the whole team is not healthy??

Yes, KG just came back, and he's still not fully healthy, but I think that with Davis comin back a few wks ago, everyone should now be healthy. Nagging injuries are one thing, but it seems that no other celtic is now "out for a long period of time". Kg is back, it'll take him a month or month and a half to get re-acclimmated bak with everything.

Tony_Starks
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM

He averages almost 18 points. In four games against the Celtics this year he has put up 17,18,18, and 28 off the bench. Looks pretty consistent to me.

YoungOne
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
you forgot marquis daniels who seems to be very important as a 6th man for the c's and davis is nowhere near his last year performance...but i still think they have to make a move before the deadline

lionfire76
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM
It would be hard to say, yes Atlanta has swept the Celtics. However atleast two of those games the Celtics had significant personel hurt.

I do believe that Atlanta is much better than people have been giving them credit for, I actually think they are more talented than an Orlando or Toronto. However they do not possess an elite big man in the post and this is there only weakness.

Boston I believe will be better in the off season than the regular season. Veteran teams are often able to reserve some energy and kick it in gear when the playoffs begin. There lineup all though much older, if healthy is still at another level than Atlanta's. I believe that if the Celtics are healthy and at least at a 90 percent level than they still have a great chance at winning the whole thing and could even end up sweeping Atlanta if they meet them.

That being said as a Celtics fan I am very concerned that they will not be at least 90 percent healthy and will end up falling short of that ultimate goal.

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 05:18 PM
It would be hard to say, yes Atlanta has swept the Celtics. However atleast two of those games the Celtics had significant personel hurt.

I do believe that Atlanta is much better than people have been giving them credit for, I actually think they are more talented than an Orlando or Toronto. However they do not possess an elite big man in the post and this is there only weakness.

Boston I believe will be better in the off season than the regular season. Veteran teams are often able to reserve some energy and kick it in gear when the playoffs begin. There lineup all though much older, if healthy is still at another level than Atlanta's. I believe that if the Celtics are healthy and at least at a 90 percent level than they still have a great chance at winning the whole thing and could even end up sweeping Atlanta if they meet them.

That being said as a Celtics fan I am very concerned that they will not be at least 90 percent healthy and will end up falling short of that ultimate goal.

Yes, because they don't have to play the games.

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 05:19 PM

Boston does not have an elite big man in the post either. ATL has better big men than the C's. KG is just about done.

IversonIsKrazy
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
I hope that this will be a conferences semi's match-up, and Hawks do win! I do think that they can beat them tho.

bostonrules37
01-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Boston does not have an elite big man in the post either. ATL has better big men than the C's. KG is just about done.

Are u kidding me . KG isnt done hes batteling injuries if he gets healthy he is on of thebest big men in the legue and perk is better then any center thehawks have he leads the league in Fg % and is 3rd in blocks . when healthy the celtics r better and will win but with that said not sure if they'll ever be 100% this year. remember peirce has hd a nagging injury . kg is stil bothered , sheed is now starting to get healthy , davis is still trying to get over his broken finger and we've been without daniels for almost a month and a half those r huge injurys to ovecome but the have and r ready to be dominate again once they become fully healthy

uknowmyname
01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I think the Celtics window might have closed already. They are really old now, during the playoffs I don't know how much they will have left in the tank.

chicagocubsfan
01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Are u kidding me . KG isnt done hes batteling injuries if he gets healthy he is on of thebest big men in the legue and perk is better then any center thehawks have he leads the league in Fg % and is 3rd in blocks . when healthy the celtics r better and will win but with that said not sure if they'll ever be 100% this year. remember peirce has hd a nagging injury . kg is stil bothered , sheed is now starting to get healthy , davis is still trying to get over his broken finger and we've been without daniels for almost a month and a half those r huge injurys to ovecome but the have and r ready to be dominate again once they become fully healthy Perkins<<<<<<<<<<<Horford

JordansBulls
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Besides the fact that the Hawks swept the season series 4-0 (including 3-0 in January, and yes, 2 of those games w/o KG)

With Hawk's youth and athleticism, experienced players (Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby etc.) and acquision of Jamal Crawford be enough to eliminate the Celtics in a 7-game series in the playoffs?

Thoughts.

I think the Hawks are the C's worst nightmare.

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Are u kidding me . KG isnt done hes batteling injuries if he gets healthy he is on of thebest big men in the legue and perk is better then any center thehawks have he leads the league in Fg % and is 3rd in blocks . when healthy the celtics r better and will win but with that said not sure if they'll ever be 100% this year. remember peirce has hd a nagging injury . kg is stil bothered , sheed is now starting to get healthy , davis is still trying to get over his broken finger and we've been without daniels for almost a month and a half those r huge injurys to ovecome but the have and r ready to be dominate again once they become fully healthy
They will be 62 by the time that happens.

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
are u kidding me . Kg isnt done hes batteling injuries if he gets healthy he is on of thebest big men in the legue and perk is better then any center thehawks have he leads the league in fg % and is 3rd in blocks . When healthy the celtics r better and will win but with that said not sure if they'll ever be 100% this year. Remember peirce has hd a nagging injury . Kg is stil bothered , sheed is now starting to get healthy , davis is still trying to get over his broken finger and we've been without daniels for almost a month and a half those r huge injurys to ovecome but the have and r ready to be dominate again once they become fully healthy

ATTENTION ALL NBA FANS!

This is a foreshadowing of an argument (excuse) that just might come up when the boston celtics are not hoisting up the larry o'brien trophy in june 2010!

bbd24
01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
If the Hawks have homecourt advantage, most definitely! They took them to 7 games before without homecourt and without Jamal Crawford. Since then the Hawks have gotten better and the Celtics have gotten older and worse.

Boston has problems with young athletic teams, ask the Bulls.

How have the Celtics gotten worse when they've been the first team to 20 wins the last 3 years ?

Its about health with that team. Not about whether or not they are good or bad. Thats already been determined. Ask the East.

bbd24
01-30-2010, 06:23 PM
so the whole team is not healthy??

Yes, KG just came back, and he's still not fully healthy, but I think that with Davis comin back a few wks ago, everyone should now be healthy. Nagging injuries are one thing, but it seems that no other celtic is now "out for a long period of time". Kg is back, it'll take him a month or month and a half to get re-acclimmated bak with everything.

Marquis Daniels ?

alencp3
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Hawks will sweep Boston if they play again

bbd24
01-30-2010, 06:32 PM
He averages almost 18 points. In four games against the Celtics this year he has put up 17,18,18, and 28 off the bench. Looks pretty consistent to me.

Thats great. If the 4 games were in the playoffs it would be even better. Unfortunately, he'll have to repeat that performance in order to get by the Celtics come playoff time. So lets see how consistent he really is. What has he done in the playoffs ? Besides Up-Chuck.

bbd24
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Hawks will sweep Boston if they play again

That would be accurate if your referring to the Boston Bruins.

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Thats great. If the 4 games were in the playoffs it would be even better. Unfortunately, he'll have to repeat that performance in order to get by the Celtics come playoff time. So lets see how consistent he really is. What has he done in the playoffs ? Besides Up-Chuck.

The Celtics are probably going to be the 4th seed and get bounced by the Cavs in the 2nd round.

TheWatcher34
01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
so many LAker fans posting in here...how come?

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
so many LAker fans posting in here...how come?

Because we would rather play the old washed up Celtics in the finals because they would be an easy out.

KG2TB
01-30-2010, 06:50 PM

Thoughts.

Absolutely no bones about it. They're core even without Jamal Crawford is rising every year and becoming more cohesive as a unit. The C's are fading don't have that aura of being a dominant defensive unit like they once did. The Hawks are rising and I think the Jamal signing could very well put them over the top. They're not a team to be slept on.

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 07:02 PM
wasn't there a thread about this already?

Anyways, I think if the celtics are healthy going into the playoffs, they are the team to beat. KG healthy is arguably the best defender in the league..

Gibby23
01-30-2010, 07:06 PM
wasn't there a thread about this already?

Anyways, I think if the celtics are healthy going into the playoffs, they are the team to beat. KG healthy is arguably the best defender in the league..

KG of 2 years ago. His age of 33 about to be 34 and with the knee, he is not even close to what he was.

JackB
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Didn't the Hawks take them to seven games two years ago as well as last year? That was the year they won the title.

goose15
01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Hawks in 7

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
If a healthy Hawks and a healthy Celtics met up in the playoffs, I'd have to put my money on Boston, but that is not a gimmie. It would be a great series and the Hawks have the talent to beat the Celtics. Horford wins the center match-up, Bibby would hold his own against Rondo as he is a vet point guard who has performed well in the playoffs (more so with the Kings than with the Hawks). Joe Johnson I think wins the shooting guard match-up and Pierce and Garnett win the match-ups at forward, but the Hawks got a great gaurd in Crawford coming of the bench, one of the best back-up centers in the league and Joe Smith.

This is a match-up I hope to see in the playoffs and one I think could be a 7-game series. But the Hawks will have to put up a better fight than they did in last year's playoff (a four-game sweep from the Cavs).

bmanjones
01-30-2010, 08:10 PM
yes

kobebabe
01-30-2010, 08:18 PM

:clap:
It doesnt' matter how inconsistent he is. He is atleast consistent when he plays the c's which is what counts.

kobebabe
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
It would have to be a close one. As long as KG is heathy, they have a good shot at winning it all. However, the hawks will give them a run. The c's are obviously bothered by the hawks' athlecism. Like someone mentioned, the hawks would have a better shot at upsetting the c's if they could get a legit center like camby who can mucle up with the c's bigs. If they can do that.....GAMEOVER!

Clutch6
01-30-2010, 08:29 PM
yes 110 percent

kblo247
01-30-2010, 08:55 PM
I think they are good and if they play together and don't get divided at the first sign of trouble then yes, but you have to remember that Crawford has never played in the playoffs before.

heathonater
01-30-2010, 09:00 PM
the hawks could beat the celtics in the playoffs especially if kg gets injured again. the hawks seem to match up pretty well with the celtics.

Raoul Duke
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Hawks in six. Boston does not want to meet up with them in the playoffs.

iggypop123
01-30-2010, 10:00 PM
in the playoffs the celtics get away with more. perkins and kg will have moving screens all day i doubt the young hawks can handle that pressure of not getting correct calls. but they are very talented and could beat them but i dont know if they are ready for the way refs change to the playoffs

albertc86
01-30-2010, 10:02 PM
The Hawks could be a problem for the Magic, Cleveland and Magic, sure.

ElMarroAfamado
01-30-2010, 10:07 PM
it doesnt take much to beat the celtics...when someone like rondo is at times considered the "leader" of your team then you know its over....
ill be surprised if the celtics make it to the conference finals even moreso if they make it to the nba finals

Kakaroach
01-31-2010, 12:08 AM
It would depend on the health of both teams. But either can beat any given team in a 7 game series.

blastmasta26
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
The Hawks could definitely beat Boston. Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford, Al Horford, all very good players. The Celtics this year don't seem as strong as they did a year or two ago.

RadiantShot
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Absolutely.
Chances are, if you 4-0 a team in the regular season, you'll beat them in the playoffs. I'm not saying it always happens, but hey, give me a break here, it happens a lot of the time.

magichatnumber9
01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm gonna have to say yes for one reason. I have yet to see KG healthy since his initial knee injury. But who cares if you can beat the Celtics if you can't get past the Magic.

bostonrules37
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Perkins<<<<<<<<<<<Horford

horford isnt a true center . perk is a much beter defender and shoots a higher %. 13 ppg 10 rpg and 2.3 bpg to go with 60% from the feild . i give the nod to perk

MegaFauna
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
i think they can take boston, as a bulls fan i would definitely rather meet boston in round 1 than atlanta

Hawkeye15
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
I hate the term, a team beats itself, but unless Boston can be healthy going into the playoffs, that is what is going to happen to them. I personally think a Boston squad that can get good minutes from KG, Allen, Paul, Rondo, and Wallace, will beat anyone

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 08:38 PM
yep just like cavs acquisition of Shaq enough to sweet the Lakers too!! hehe. keeding.. we still have to see coz of the playoffs atmosphere. Although the 07-08 hawks was impressive againts the celts.

mikantsass
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Who says they are ganunteed to meet in the playoffs

johnwayne
02-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Thoughts.

being that the hawks are "4"-0 against boston this year and a nba playoff series is the first to "4" wins...i think you just answered your own question

JC_
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
The hawks aren't a good matchup for the celtics. If the playoffs started tomorrow i'd expect Hawks to win in 4 or 5 games.

koreancabbage
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
yea, this year, Boston seems very vulnerable. Atlanta's athleticism will expose many teams in the league.

boston have seem to have gotten pretty old pretty fast lately. KG needs to be rested for him to be fully effective- surgically repaired knee needs rest. If KG plays the whole season, Boston will get creamed by Altanta- no contest