PDA

View Full Version : Is it smart to re-sign Kobe to a new deal ?

sixerfixer
01-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Okay, before everyone calls me out for being a Moron, wait a minute.
What I mean to say is, in a league where a long term, really high salaried contract can kill a teams ability to make moves. Considering Kobe's wear & tear, would it be the smartest move to re-sign him to the reported 4 to 5 year extension he and his agent wants after his final year on his deal next season, which is at 24.8 million dollars. Look, I know Kobe is just 31,,,not 32 til August. But the facts are, age is not what is Important,,,MILAGE is!

Kobe right now has 995 games played for his career.( Not including playoff )
and just about 37,000 minutes played. And the simple fact is, after next year, Kobe will be over 1100 games played, and over 40,000 minutes.
And if one looks at the careers of simular players, like a MJ, or Clyde Drexler, or even a Gary Payton,,,ALL of them, once they hit the 1,000 to 1100 games
played area, they ALL just dramatically fell off from what once was ridiculously
great yearly statistical numbers. Now, obviously a few of them played well after 1,100 games, like a Payton. But in his last say 200 games of his career, Payton was really a afterthought. Just a complementary player.

If the Lakers say agree to re-sign Kobe to a 4 year extension after next season, for say 120 million. Say a first year salary of 25 million, with 15 % annoual raises. Isn't such a deal a risk considering Kobe will already have over 1,100 games, and 40,000 + minutes played ? Look, I know about being loyal, and keeping a player like Kobe Happy. But, as I said, just from a BUSINESS perspective, would it really be a smart move ? Cause the one thing that IS very clear is that,,ALL of the great former players who played a really long time,,like a MJ, Payton, Drexler, Hakeem, all of them were one day averaging 25 Pts, and great rebounding numbers, ect. And the next season..WHAM,,a 50-60 % fall off in production. So even though Kobe is having a great season this year. And maybe he will next year on his last year of his current deal. Don't be surprised within the next 2 years, Kobe is nothing more than a HUGE Salary Anchor that might be crippling the Lakers management.

Just a thought.

RadiantShot
01-30-2010, 03:22 PM
120 MILLION? for 4 YEARS?
They aren't paying him 30 Million dollars a year.

Yeah, they should still resign him. I think he should retire on the Lakers. He probably will. Why let him go, they're still doing great, and Kobe's not showing any real signs of giving in.

Bucsfan
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I understand your point, but the lakers will sign him for whatever, 25 mil a year seems a bit steep, even for him, considering that could possibly almost take half a teams cap space

but he is kobe and he will get signed for whatever he wants, and he has many rings to show

even if he does drop off then leave him on the lakers, hopefully they will go away for a while

sixerfixer
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Well maybe not 30 million a year on average. What I was saying was that Kobe has already stated after exercising his final year next season is that he, and his agent have said they will not take LESS than his 2010/11 salary on a new deal. And they hinted that they want a new, full 4 to 5 years on the deal. So, I don't know what it will come out too.
But, 25 million + 15 % yearly raises adds up to alot of Jaclk. As far as Kobe showing no signs of slowing down. Hey, one year MJ averaged 32 Pts, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists on 5- % FG shooting. The very next year, it was like 16 Pts a game, half the other numbers, and shooting like 40 % from the field. So what Kobe is doing now is Irrelevant.

Sly Guy
remember, kobe was a highschooler when he entered the NBA, so he's likely to be able to put more games/minutes on his body than any of that list of compariables.

Hotone1401
I'm not too familiar with NBA salaries but wasn't MJ making like 33 million a year in the 90's?? Not comparing Kobe to MJ but I don't see why you wouldn't pay Kobe what he asks. If there is anybody who works every bit for his money in the league it's gotta be Kobe. I really don't see his game declining anytime soon because the guy is just too fundamentally skilled to just have his game drop from one season to the next.

Punkindrublic03
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Is it smart to re-sign KOBE BRYANT to a new deal? .... **** yes

BkOriginalOne
01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Kobe WILL retire a Laker, so yes, it makes sense to resign him.
Also, honestly, Kobe will be dropping 25 a game when he is 40.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't think he is worth $120 mil for 4 years.

Maybe $120 for 6 is what he could get.

Tony_Starks
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Kobe has no signs of slowing down anytime soon. He's the best conditioned player in the league. His game isn't declining, in fact it's getting better! He could easily play at this level another 5 years.

As far as financially hampering the team with his contract how? The core of the team (Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Artest) are all young and in place for at least the next 3 seasons. Any players needed down the line will just be role players who usually come cheap.

Kakaroach
01-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes it is smart. He shows no sign of aging yet. Maybe not for 30mill a year, but they should re-sign him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
120 MILLION? for 4 YEARS?
They aren't paying him 30 Million dollars a year.

Yeah, they should still resign him. I think he should retire on the Lakers. He probably will. Why let him go, they're still doing great, and Kobe's not showing any real signs of giving in.

Yes they are paying him 30+ per year!

but I heard that the deal was about 3 years and 90+millions

Bobby818
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
If it's true that Kobe and his agent won't take less, let's say the Laker's give him less, is he going to sighn somewhere else? Where? He's been here for a while, I assume he want's to be closer to his home, I assume he has plenty of money, I'm gussing he like's it here, I would think his family want's him to stay here, so if the Laker's give him less, would he reject it? Would he go somewhere else?

And if he did go somewhere else where would he go? I am guessing the Clipper's then. And he might have an incentive to go their. I mean if he doesn't stay with the Laker's, then by going Clipper's, He get's to stay in Los Angeles, and he get's an incentive to help that franchies to a championship. Like a new challenge. And hey it might be a thing where he's like let me try to help this team get a championship then. The water ground here.

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
uhhh, we're talking about a top 10 player in the history of the game, who is still winning championships and in his prime.

Just like when that stupid white anchor guy on ESPN asked Stephen A. Smith if it was smart that the Lakers traded Kwame Brown for a guy, who has been labeled soft, and avgs 18+ pt and 9+ rebs for his career that only 8 other guys in the league avg (Pau Gasol)

IS THAT A TRICK QUESTION??

D1JM
01-30-2010, 03:49 PM
he is welcomed at the united center.

ChiSox219
01-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm not too familiar with NBA salaries but wasn't MJ making like 33 million a year in the 90's?? Not comparing Kobe to MJ but I don't see why you wouldn't pay Kobe what he asks. If there is anybody who works every bit for his money in the league it's gotta be Kobe. I really don't see his game declining anytime soon because the guy is just too fundamentally skilled to just have his game drop from one season to the next.

Yes that is true about Jordan, but the two years he made 30+ million he was given a 1 year contract before each season.

We are talking about give Kobe 4-6 years at a similar salary, the problem is, we just don't know when Kobe's game will fall off.

sixerfixer
01-30-2010, 03:59 PM
A few retorts.

First, coming out of High School means nothing. It's about the milage, not his age. Hell look at KG, He came out of High School, and you can see how he has fallen off dramatically after 2 years back. As for the money, I don't see a problem with it as long as Kobe is producing, and is valuable. In fact, I agree with that other poster who said 30 million for 3 years makes more sense. Hell yes, pay him more for less years. That way, he won't foul up the team once he does decline, and is untradeable. As for another team who can offer him more...BOY, is that one poster lost. No, there is no other NBA team who could ever offer him more. But, last year, a report DID come out that said a very popular Italian team supposedly would offer Kobe like 100 million a season to play over there. And, he also would be given this ridiculous Home in
Italy that was like over 150,000 Square feet....MAN! I can't even Imagine what a 150,000 Square Ft house looks like. So, yeah Kobe can easily make 20 times overseas than what he can make as a Laker.

But I think that's not an issue cause even with that GREAT offer,,,Kobe wants
to play against the very best. And that's here..in the good ole US of A!!

vash9
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
i thought he's only getting around $25 mill a year?

$120 million for 6/7 years.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-30-2010, 04:45 PM
uhhh, we're talking about a top 10 player in the history of the game, who is still winning championships and in his prime.

Just like when that stupid white anchor guy on ESPN asked Stephen A. Smith if it was smart that the Lakers traded Kwame Brown for a guy, who has been labeled soft, and avgs 18+ pt and 9+ rebs for his career that only 8 other guys in the league avg (Pau Gasol)

IS THAT A TRICK QUESTION??

I remember that, I laughed my *** off haha!
Stephen pwned that guy, I hope that guy got fired the same day, what an idiot!

DID LA GAVE UP TOO MUCH...????:facepalm:

aerion123
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
30 million is even to much for Lebron. Lebron deserves more money just because he isn't in his prime yet. I think we have seen the best of Kobe I think he is worth 24 million a year.

bmanjones
01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
kobe is coming home to philly to sign

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-30-2010, 05:12 PM

:smoking:

ldc62
01-30-2010, 05:25 PM
If Kobe really wants to continue winning and make the Lakers better then he should resign but for cheap (Maybe 10 to 13 mill). But of course this won't happen.

lakerboy
01-30-2010, 05:31 PM
The name Kobe Bryant has already become a basketball brand. From a business stand point, he is worth $30M a year, and maybe even more. He brings A LOOOT of $$$$ to LA and the entire NBA.

Kobe is the sole reason why the Lakers sell out every road game, and the reason why the Lakers, and maybe even the NBA, are very much recognized internationally.

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 05:33 PM

Ya, And then yall can just boo him, just like the 2002 NBA All-star game, when the man won his first all-star game MVP

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 05:35 PM
If Kobe really wants to continue winning and make the Lakers better then he should resign but for cheap (Maybe 10 to 13 mill). But of course this won't happen.

My brotha, this is KOBE BRYANT we're talkin about.

By default (no matter what the situation), he is a minimum $18-20 million a yr guy

jjizle
01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Hey, one year MJ averaged 32 Pts, 8 rebounds, and 7 assists on 5- % FG shooting. The very next year, it was like 16 Pts a game, half the other numbers, and shooting like 40 % from the field. So what Kobe is doing now is Irrelevant.

Exactly where did you get those stats? Jordan never averaged less than 20 ppg in any one season, his biggest dropoff coming after his second comeback after 3 years of retirement with him approaching 40.
But no the lakers should not give Kobe a 4 or 5 year deal. Pay the man but keep it to 3 years max. and go from there, he should retire in purple and gold.

RadiantShot
01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
The only person I would remotely think about spending 30 Mil/year on is Michael Jordan. Nobody besides him is worth 30 mil.

heathonater
01-30-2010, 09:11 PM
they should resign him for whatever he wants. however, im not sure how this whole process would be affected by a potential lockout a couple years from now. ive been hearing that nba owners want player salaries to be reduced. their could be a really ugly fight between the players union and owners.

ARMIN12NBA
01-30-2010, 09:24 PM
A lot of people don't realize this, but the Lakers are setting themselves for a prime situation 5 years from now. LO, Gasol, and Artest will have 4-5 year contracts (and the lesser players will be off earlier). Bynum will be off the books in 3 years, but I am assuming he progresses and signs a big deal...

Now, the Lakers will definitely (in fact, want to) give Kobe a huge 5 year deal. It is a reward for his services. They know he will decline, but it is irrelevant because the Lakers will be way over the cap anyways.

Here is the situation in 5 years though. The entire main core and the mercenary players will all be off the books. It is possible that in 5 years, it will be the free agent class containing Durant, Horford, etc. This is where it gets interesting. The Lakers can essentially contend for the next 5 years and then completely and utterly revamp the roster. It is realistic because their core is signed exactly for the next 4-5 years (they will all be coming off the books in 1 summer assuming Kobe signs for the expected 5 years). The fact that the city is LA and the franchise of the Lakers is very historic would make that Free Agency summer the equivalent of what we are talking about now with 2010 and the Knicks...except the Lakers will have a lot more cap room and recent success to lure players in because of the fact that they know the Lakers FO is committed to winning (plus, who wouldn't love a Durant-Horford-Bynum frontcourt?).

:laugh2: Anyways, that is a huge pipe dream and looking FAR, FAR down the line. So many things can change, but it is clear that the Lakers FO isn't looking to sign big contract past the next 5 years as they are looking to keep this core and see what it can do (so far, 1 championship).

kblo247
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
1 - Team has no cap space even without him when you factor in Ron, LO, Luke, Pau, Drew, Shannon, and Sasha's deals

2 - Jeanie Buss is on record of saying he is the Lakers biggest commodity in their history. The Smush/Kwame years by himself were more profitable than the Shaq/Kobe years and the current years are more profitable than those.

3 - He will retire a Laker and probably be remembered as the Greatest Laker of All Time when you look at where he is ranked in scoring, rebounding, steals, assists, blocks, and winning in their record books.

4 - People harp on age, but have people ever thought the guy hasn't declined yet because of work ethic and the skill to change his game as he has logged more meaningful minutes and long seasons than KG, Vince, T-Mac, AI, Allen, and just about everyone who came in with, before, and even some after him. He comes in every training camp with new tricks and in shape.

5 - He is a player-coach and Phil admits it about him and Fish as he lets them go out there sometime and give orders/crack the proverbial whip.

6 - He has shown a will to win and play hurt while taking all the blame for a loss.

Conclusion:

Yes it is smart to re-sign him and in terms of what he has made Buss, 30mil isn't necessarily a bad investment. Hell it may not even be equal when you think of how much they have been able to sell off of him. the only way he doesn't take max money is if they give him what the gave Magic (a percentage of the team) and I'm not sure if that is even allowed now.

SlaterRaps
01-30-2010, 09:52 PM
They definitely should. Kobe will have a very slow decline because of how he adapts his game. Youve probably seen all of the videos of him working with Hakeem (i think) on his post game so he could adapt with his less explosive (still good) drives to the basket

_KB24_
01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Is this a trick question? To sign the best player in the world and arguably a Top 7 player of All Time? This is a no brainer.

kblo247
01-30-2010, 10:32 PM
They definitely should. Kobe will have a very slow decline because of how he adapts his game. Youve probably seen all of the videos of him working with Hakeem (i think) on his post game so he could adapt with his less explosive (still good) drives to the basket

That and he hinted at with Ellie Sechback that he would work with Larry Bird on his 3pt shooting this summer and just pick his brain if Larry lets him.

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 11:21 PM
a 4 year with a team option for a 5th seems fine.

TheWatcher34
01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
he's is going to end his career with the knicks. kobe loeves new york, noew york loves kobe. let him just get the all time lakers scoring title and he's outta there.

JasonJohnHorn
01-30-2010, 11:47 PM
You have some legiy concern.

One issues: money to continue to add talent to the team.

The Lakers don't have an issue with this. They are one of the few team that always have a lot of revenue, they sell jerseys and hat and merchandise all over the world and they have Larry-Bird rights to several very talented players: Bynum, Kobe, Odom and Gasol. That means they can go over the cap to sign these guys. On top of that they have the mid-level exception every season to add another player and because they are a contender they can also pick up ring chasers in the offseason for the veteran minimum. So its not like the T-Wolves trying to build around Garnett after they signe dhim to a huge deal. They didnt have Larry Bird rights to several players and couldn't pull in talent for cheap because they didn't have a contender to offer ring chasers.

Wear-and-tear. Yes, Kobe has a lot of minutes logged and games played. that said, its not fair to compare his minutes/games player to Drexler. A big differences between Kobe and All-Star guards of years past is because he skipped college. If you included college time of those former stars then you'd see that Kobe isn't where they were in their NBA careers in terms of wear and tear. As well, each player ages differently. Drexler for example, you could see him trailing off in the last few seasons of his career. His scoring dropped from 27, to 25, to 21, and then the high teens. That's not where Kobe is in his career. And Kobe's conditioning has kept him in amazing shape physically, so like Jordan, who played at and all-star, 20+ points-per-game level at 40, Kobe has the potential to keep his level of play high into his late 30's. Stockton finished in the top five in assists at 40 years old, and Nash and Kidd are still getting starting minutes while on the wrong side of 35 and though Kidd's game seems to be sliding, Nash is maintaing his game. Barring injury, Kobe will be able to play at the level he is, or at least near it, well pas 35 considering his conditioning.

So is it smart to re-sign him? It will cost this team a lot of money, but the money is worth it since he helps to sell merchandise, puts @$$e$ in seats and gives them about an extra 14 games or so to play when the playoffs roll around.

I'm not a big Kobe fan, or a Lakers fan for that matter, but Kobe's talent is clear and the Lakers are contenders and if they hope to remain at that level they will have to pay to keep it going.

That said, 30 million is a lot! lol

RaiderLakersA's
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
The Lakers have Kobe right where they want him, from a business standpoint.

After years of playing on subpar teams, they've surrounded him with Championship caliber talent. The Lakers don't even have to sell themselves to Kobe. They don't have to market themselves to any of the other major superstars around the league, either.

If Kobe signs, it's because he wants to win championships. The money is secondary. If the Lakers sign Kobe to an extension, it's because they feel he can deliver. Player loyalty is second to that equation.

Don't forget, we let Shaq go because we didn't think we could win with him AND the aging roster that we had. Kobe isn't in that same situation. He may be getting older, but the talent around him is relatively young. We can still plug in quality talent and contend for years to come.

SteveNash
01-31-2010, 01:09 AM
It's impossible for Bryant to get a 4 year 120 mil contract...

And Kobe is unknown since he came into the NBA at 18.

caddiemaster
01-31-2010, 01:39 AM
He's a kook!frk the lake ers!

kArSoN RyDaH
01-31-2010, 06:12 AM
well kobe is going to get resigned no matter what. and hes going to get paid whatever he wants. because hes still the best player in the league. every elite player gets paid and he will. he will retire a laker. and lets not forget again that he came out of high school so unlike payton and mj he has a couple years on them and his work ethic is amazing which keeps his body in shape and able to withstand and play through all his injuries.

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 07:44 AM
i'd resign him probably 3 years tops unless 4th or 5th year salaries is below $20mil. his body is starting to break down little by little the past recent year. I mean he is like Favre, just does not give in even with injuries.. but you just never know what else could happen to him so 5 years is a bit too long.