PDA

View Full Version : All star game should celebrate PLAYERS, Playoffs are for winning TEAMS.!

TruthFreesYou
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't agree that players from non-winning teams should be snubbed to this extreme extent, assuming the team is at least somewhat competitive.

Winning TEAMS are rewarded by going to the playoffs, a celebration of TEAMS, NOT INDIVIDUALS.

And individual PLAYERS having great years should be rewarded by going to the all-star game, a celebration of INDIVIDUALS, NOT TEAMS!!!

if not, all you have is a case where the rich get richer, and vice versa....

coloradobuff
01-30-2010, 01:18 PM
winning team should get home court advantage in finals..lol

LE-SHAQ
01-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I disagree the All Star game is about the fans and the fans should see who we want to see. Let the coaches pick the "deserving guys" as alternates and YES you are right the playoffs are for winning teams. The current system is just fine.
Maybe we should get rid of the dunk contest in favor of an allstar game of O-U-T (shortened version of HORSE) That might be more fun than the no-name dunk contest

Bucsfan
01-30-2010, 01:27 PM
well usually the players that are good enough to get to the all star game are good enough to lead their teams to winning records..see how that works?

its not always the case, but its also a reward for how a player is helping his team, so teams with winning records obviously are going to look better

let me take a wild guess, you wanted david lee to be in?

ChiSox219
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I disagree the All Star game is about the fans and the fans should see who we want to see. Let the coaches pick the "deserving guys" as alternates and YES you are right the playoffs are for winning teams. The current system is just fine.
Maybe we should get rid of the dunk contest in favor of an allstar game of O-U-T (shortened version of HORSE) That might be more fun than the no-name dunk contest

They already have HORSE and the dunk contest has been pretty good the last few years. This years list is pretty blah, but Gerald Wallace is only a no-name to uneducated fans.

Also I don't want to see players with inflated numbers because they plays on a crap team make the all-star game (ie Monta, Lee, Lopez). Give me a guy have a good season on a good team over a guys putting up great numbers on a lousy team

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
One point I have to make that can refute the OP's argument...

What type of head coaches are picked to Coach in the All-star game to coach their respective conference???

The coach of a team who is at the time of selection the team with the BEST RECORD IN THE CONFERENCE (or second best record in the conference if Best record in conference head coach is restricted from coaching for 2 consecutive all-star games)

If the head coaches are held to the standard of "winning", then so should the players. Having at the very least close to or just about a .500 record at the halfway-mark of the season should be the minimum for a player on that team to go play in the all-star game.

/thread

TruthFreesYou
01-30-2010, 01:43 PM
well usually the players that are good enough to get to the all star game are good enough to lead their teams to winning records..see how that works?

its not always the case, but its also a reward for how a player is helping his team, so teams with winning records obviously are going to look better

let me take a wild guess, you wanted david lee to be in?

yes, i think david lee should be on the team, but my point is more general.

think about it: why should a good player, who is drafted to a very bad team, with an owner unwilling to spend the big free agent money be snubbed????

dtmagnet
01-30-2010, 02:00 PM
winning team should get home court advantage in finals..lol

It's bad enough they do it in baseball lol.

DodgerBulls
01-30-2010, 02:14 PM

think about it: why should a good player, who is drafted to a very bad team, with an owner unwilling to spend the big free agent money be snubbed????

Hmmm.. let see. First of all, the player has an option to sign or not sign with the team that drafted him. Secondly, every player has the abilitiy to promote itself so people can vote for him. Lastly, we live in corporate America and people have their choice to vote for who they want to start at the all star game.

Ask yourself this.. did you vote for Lee to get in? Did you promote him enough to your friends in order for them to vote for him? If not, then do that next year or you can bribe coaches to vote for him.

Bucsfan
01-30-2010, 02:27 PM

I think somebody else had a good response to that, basically some players on crappy teams will have inflated #'s and will look better than if they were on a team with multiple stars

its tough man, the jazz have had winning records in the past with no all stars taken....now how ridiculous is that? if good winning teams dont even have players taken

its just up to fans and coaches, its a fan favorite event more than anything

Giaps
01-30-2010, 03:30 PM
He's right... who the hell wants to see the 3rd and sometimes 4th best player on a good team???? The worst is when Detroit got 4 all-stars... if I wanted to see a Pistons game I wouldn't watch the all-star game.

The top 3-4 teams consist of at least half the team more often than not. That's not fun. Give me the best players no matter where they play. That is what the all-star game should be about... the leagues BEST players.... not the leagues GOOD players on the best teams.

sf-fanatic
01-30-2010, 04:12 PM
He's right... who the hell wants to see the 3rd and sometimes 4th best player on a good team???? The worst is when Detroit got 4 all-stars... if I wanted to see a Pistons game I wouldn't watch the all-star game.

The top 3-4 teams consist of at least half the team more often than not. That's not fun. Give me the best players no matter where they play. That is what the all-star game should be about... the leagues BEST players.... not the leagues GOOD players on the best teams.

x2

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 04:17 PM

actuallly, there is a very good post. I like how you put it into persective

goldenstater
01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
They already have HORSE and the dunk contest has been pretty good the last few years. This years list is pretty blah, but Gerald Wallace is only a no-name to uneducated fans.

Also I don't want to see players with inflated numbers because they plays on a crap team make the all-star game (ie Monta, Lee, Lopez). Give me a guy have a good season on a good team over a guys putting up great numbers on a lousy team

we are talking about all-stars not all-teams correct? please tell me how they are inflated numbers again esp. when monta is being double and triple teamed every damn game? if anything in my opinion its more impressive at times. its not always the players fault when the team is bad. did kobe make the all-star game a few years back when he was all pissed and wanted to be traded and i am pretty sure they did not make the playoffs that year(2005), or did we ever punish AI for that ever for some of those teams he was on, or nash last year? i think being on a winning team should count for something dont get me wrong and i see why monta didnt get it because quite simply D. Williams getting in is long over due. but its the all-star( individual) game.

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 07:32 PM
neither do I.

In a perfect world you love to have a player from each team. I remember the NHL used to do that. But I guess its easier to do it in hockey consider the number of players on a single team.

I do think that a record should not matter if your putting up monstrous numbers like Kaman, Lee and Monta are.