PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Podcast Forecasts 2010

blams
01-30-2010, 11:40 AM
In Bill Simmons podcast with JA Adande on espn.com, towards the end of the discussion, they started talking about where they thought LeBron would sign this summer, and Bill Simmons said that if he had to put his life on the line, that he would say Chicago.

I know it's just one guy's opinion, but I think Bill Simmons is a pretty smart basketball guy and he's right about a good amount of things. It was also stated that Lebron's main motivation in deciding on a team will be championships. Not to mention, he will be able to make up whatever additional money he would make by re-signing with the Cavs, by endorsements and "big market" kickers.

Looking at the free agent choices, there isn't a better team with cap space than the Bulls. If any free agent is looking for championships, I think the Bulls would be the perfect destination. Any thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=4870374

(Lebron discussion starts at about 57 minutes)

This wasn't posted by me, it was posted by chicagojewelz I think in the Bulls forum.

According to DamnGoat, Simmons went on to say he believes that LeBron AND Bosh will end up with the Bulls.

:speechless:

That team would win the Finals, hands down. What do you guys think? I know this is more exciting for Bulls fans, but I thought it warranted being posted in the NBA forum as well.

kozelkid
01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Obviously both won't join. Personally I see Bosh going to Miami.
I'd like to believe that that would lead to Lebron joining Bulls to match that duo (especially if Cavs don't win this year). Who knows. Definitely exciting time in this league.

blams
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
That would still be great

td0tsfinest
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I hate JA Adande. The guy blows off Kobe.

Young and Stupid
01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
This is my theory and I'm sure I'm gonna get shot down by Bulls fans, but...I don't think LeBron will go the Bulls because he wants to build his own legacy and respect MJ's at the same time (he's planning on changing his number to honor Jordan). I think if LeBron were to go the Bulls and win 4 or 5 titles he would still be under the shadow of MJ because he's doing it with the same team. I just think that LeBron is about the history of the NBA and he wants to make a name for himself, and going to the Bulls he would still be living under MJ's legacy (unless he surpasses his ring count).

kozelkid
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
This is my theory and I'm sure I'm gonna get shot down by Bulls fans, but...I don't think LeBron will go the Bulls because he wants to build his own legacy and respect MJ's at the same time (he's planning on changing his number to honor Jordan). I think if LeBron were to go the Bulls and win 4 or 5 titles he would still be under the shadow of MJ because he's doing it with the same team. I just think that LeBron is about the history of the NBA and he wants to make a name for himself, and going to the Bulls he would still be living under MJ's legacy (unless he surpasses his ring count).

I hope you are wrong. :p
In fact I believe Lebron is the kind of ego maniac who would challenge MJ's legacy. :D

Young and Stupid
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope you are wrong. :p
In fact I believe Lebron is the kind of ego maniac who would challenge MJ's legacy. :D

Yeah, I didn't articulate it the right way, but so do I. I think LeBron wants to surpass MJ's legacy, but wouldn't go the Bulls because he would have to do a lot more for Bulls fans to give him the respect that they gave MJ, and I also think that he has a respect for MJ that he wouldn't go the Bulls because it would look like he was trying to make people forget about MJ. I think LeBron wants to leave the game known as the best ever, and I don't know if Chicago is the best place to go if he wants that to be his legacy.

ChiSox219
01-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I didn't articulate it the right way, but so do I. I think LeBron wants to surpass MJ's legacy, but wouldn't go the Bulls because he would have to do a lot more for Bulls fans to give him the respect that they gave MJ, and I also think that he has a respect for MJ that he wouldn't go the Bulls because it would look like he was trying to make people forget about MJ. I think LeBron wants to leave the game known as the best ever, and I don't know if Chicago is the best place to go if he wants that to be his legacy.

I think it's the opposite, if Lebron is winning titles in Chicago all the Jordan supporters will give Lebron a little more slack but if he does it anywhere else, they'll always say he can't compare to MJ no matter what Lebron does.

And I do believe Lebron would go to Chicago because MJ was there. Hell, Kobe had his bags packed but the Lakers wanted Deng and Kobe wanted to play with Deng

kozelkid
01-30-2010, 01:14 PM

One thing, you need to realize is just how dumb most fans are. Let me put it to you this way, last year there was a poll on tv for basically Chicago fans on CSN. The question was "Who had a better rookie year? A. MJ B. Rose". Far more people voted for Rose. It was quite ridiculous, but it's a clear indicator of how short of a memory most people have. Hell, Laker fans today think Kobe is better than Shaq or Magic were, which in my opinion, is quite false.

GodsSon
01-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I think Simmons and the OP are living in a fantasy world lol

vash9
01-30-2010, 01:41 PM
It's very obvious the Lakers and the Cavs will do a sign and trade between Lebron and Kobe.

mfb_lt1birdman
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't see it unless another upper tier free agent comes with him. The Bulls now + Lebron would for sure be a very good team. But are they that much better than Cleveland now? I suppose alot depends on how far Rose progresses but I don't see that being a very worth while move unless James just wants a change in scenary.

LanceUpperCut
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Everyones going to be pretty upset when LBJ, Wade and CB4 all stay were thier at so they can get the big bucks. I love the big market reason like LBJ will have that many more commericals by living in NY, CHI or LA , cause everyone knows companies like nike would never spring the cash to fly him were ever he would need to go to shoot a commerical.

thescore53
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
i use to hate on the bulls because they werent very good and they still believed bosh would come.

if bosh leaves us i want him going to a team that has potential to win a championship someday chicago has that and miami doesnt

miami has to be one of the most overated teams in the league they have no depth

my take on 2010 is bosh resigns. raptors dont make enough improvement gm thinks its better if they started to rebuild bosh
goes to a contender

Young and Stupid
01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Everyones going to be pretty upset when LBJ, Wade and CB4 all stay were thier at so they can get the big bucks. I love the big market reason like LBJ will have that many more commericals by living in NY, CHI or LA , cause everyone knows companies like nike would never spring the cash to fly him were ever he would need to go to shoot a commerical.

Agree to a certain extent, but LeBron in NY is a whole different story. There is the rumored Nike contract if he goes to NY, also if you've ever been to NY you should know that its a whole different animal to be on top of the world when you're in NY. I think he's going to NY....

Giaps
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Lebron knows he would be in Jordan's shadow... how do you think he would feel about that?

abe_froman
01-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Lebron knows he would be in Jordan's shadow... how do you think he would feel about that?

very well,guys of lebrons mentality want to be the best(because they truly believe they are/or can be),so he'd take it as a challenge

and yes.i've been saying this all year,if he leaves,but the part of bosh i'm not sure about

RaptorizedKevin
01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
In Bill Simmons podcast with JA Adande on espn.com, towards the end of the discussion, they started talking about where they thought LeBron would sign this summer, and Bill Simmons said that if he had to put his life on the line, that he would say Chicago.

I know it's just one guy's opinion, but I think Bill Simmons is a pretty smart basketball guy and he's right about a good amount of things. It was also stated that Lebron's main motivation in deciding on a team will be championships. Not to mention, he will be able to make up whatever additional money he would make by re-signing with the Cavs, by endorsements and "big market" kickers.

Looking at the free agent choices, there isn't a better team with cap space than the Bulls. If any free agent is looking for championships, I think the Bulls would be the perfect destination. Any thoughts?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=4870374

(Lebron discussion starts at about 57 minutes)

This wasn't posted by me, it was posted by chicagojewelz I think in the Bulls forum.

According to DamnGoat, Simmons went on to say he believes that LeBron AND Bosh will end up with the Bulls.

:speechless:

That team would win the Finals, hands down. What do you guys think? I know this is more exciting for Bulls fans, but I thought it warranted being posted in the NBA forum as well.

great, another reason for bulls fans to think their team is god.

RaptorizedKevin
01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
if bosh is leaving, he should join miami, not the bulls. so too bad.

LRizzle
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
i use to hate on the bulls because they werent very good and they still believed bosh would come.

if bosh leaves us i want him going to a team that has potential to win a championship someday chicago has that and miami doesnt

my take on 2010 is bosh resigns. raptors dont make enough improvement gm thinks its better if they started to rebuild bosh
goes to a contender

Miami isn't overrated, everyone knows it's pretty much the Wade show with some flashes of Beasley and O'Neal potential and winning a good game, only to lose the very next game in an ugly way. But Miami still has a better record than Chicago. And if I'm not mistaken, the Heat are in the top 5 of SoS so far, and still, a better record.

Bosh going to play with Wade and Beasley and whoever else Miami signs this offseason, considering they have 3 players signed through next year, will be much better than playing with the Bulls. However, as much as I think Wade will come back to Miami, it's no lock.

Although I think there's a better chance LeBron and Bosh leave than Wade. Wade has a ring. Miami loves Wade and vice-versa. This whole offseason was planned around him. LeBron and Bosh have both seen their teams make moves to win now and nothin', so if it doesn't happen now, why would they stay another 5 years?

Cavs_Fan24
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey! I just thought of something!!!

When LeBron said that he'd change his number next year to #6 maybe it's not cuz he wants to, but cuz he will have to if u know what I mean.

Me being a cavs fan though I don't want to see this happen.

Rego247
01-30-2010, 04:31 PM
Wade and Bosh will resign with their teams respectively.. i would say lebron to..but NY is gonna be very tempting..but it depends if the Cavs make to the finals this year...he will resign with the cavs..cuz he knows its gonna be a while before he wins a championship in NY..therefore, IMO he reups with the cavs

Afridi786
01-30-2010, 07:46 PM

When LeBron said that he'd change his number next year to #6 maybe it's not cuz he wants to, but cuz he will have to if u know what I mean.

:):clap::D

D1JM
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM

why did kobe want to come to chicago?

Giaps
01-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Yeah, you're right. Toney Douglas wears #23.

Punkindrublic03
01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Zombie Sonics have a sick amount of cap space. could land LeBron or Bosh

ko8e24
01-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Actually, in that whole Shaq-Kobe LA era, while he was still a columnist for the LA Times, Adande was a Shaq guy. I think ur mistaken for that old white bearded fatty Bill Plaschke

heathonater
01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
I hate JA Adande. The guy blows off Kobe. he has a load for the entire lakers squad. lol

Bulls_fan90
01-30-2010, 09:05 PM

goes to a contender

Thanks man :cheers:

On Lebron joinig the Bulls i just don't see it happening. I know alot of people think Lebron will walk out on he Cavs but i just dont see it happening.

ARMIN12NBA
01-30-2010, 09:42 PM

You do realize that JA is hated around LA for constantly antagonizing Kobe, right? Heck, the only guy people hated more than JA at the LA Times was Simers.

Mavrix
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
If Lebron is looking for championships he would sign with Dallas. If he refuses to sign with Cleveland, Dallas can offer them a sign and trade of Howard (11 mil expiring) and Dampier (13 mil expiring), 24 mil in total extra cap space and most likely they're young talented rookie Beaubois and some cash for Lebron. Cuban would do anything to bring him in and pair him up with Dirk and Kidd. We all know Lebron is a big Cowboys fan, and with the All Star game being in Dallas this year, I can see Cuban pulling him aside for a one on one chat. And let's be real...if Cleveland had no choice and had to do a sign and trade, they would NOT trade him to any east team.

TheHoopsProphet
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree with Simmons, I think Lebron resigns with the Cavs, but if he does leave, its to Chicago. Everyone is talking about him being in the shadow of MJ, but he's a generational athlete who is as close as it gets to trumping MJ. Plus, playing for the Bulls, he'll constantly be conscious of the legacy in that stadium, and will compete at an improbably higher level. I think a dark horse candidate is Portland though, and always have. If Oden turned out to be half of what Blazers expected from him, Lebron would have every reason to play in the Nike capitol of the world, but since Oden's a question mark, they only have an outside chance. Those personalities would have meshed so well together too. Oh well.