PDA

View Full Version : Lockout in 2011?

godolphins
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
With many NBA franchises in dire financial straits, it’s been expected that the owners will force many concessions from the NBA Players Association for the long-term health of the league when they renegotiate the collective bargaining agreement after the 2010-11 season.

We haven’t heard many specifics about what exactly they will ask for, but speculation has run rampant. Now, Chris Broussard has several quotes from an owner that give some indication, and it isn’t pretty. From TrueHoop:

I spoke with one executive about Amare Stoudemire and was told that, the way owners are talking now, Stoudemire wouldn’t even get a five-year contract worth $60 million under the next CBA. That sounded crazy to me, but when I spoke with a team owner an hour later, he made the executive sound tame.

“The owners are really going to chop the money down,’’ the owner said. “I think Stoudemire would get $5 or $6 million [annually] in the next deal. The bottom line is that things are going to change dramatically.’’

That’s obviously a considerable cut in salary, which makes you wonder what non-star rotation players would make. Given owners’ usual inability to contain themselves with free-agent offers, there would have to be some serious cap restrictions to drive salary down that much. But wait, that’s not all:
Currently, players can sign contracts as long as six years. One GM told me the owners are looking to shorten the maximum length of a contract to four or five years. He added that they have actually discussed trying to guarantee only the first two years of a four-year deal, and that the third and fourth years would be guaranteed only if a player reached certain performance-based incentives the previous season.

In other words, it would be closer to the NFL than to today’s NBA.

Something tells me the union is not going to lie down in the face of these demands. The NBA union isn’t as strong as its counterpart in some other major leagues—baseball, namely—but it’s still strong relative to unions in other industries. The players aren’t going to submit to anything the owners ask of them, especially if the cuts are this drastic.

That doesn’t mean they won’t be willing to compromise as long as the owners are willing to make their own concessions. Maybe the owners will raise the max salary, or the max will be ditched altogether. Concessions will be dependent on the financial circumstances at the time of negotiations and how the terms of the agreement interlock. Everyone will need to get creative.

Whatever happens, things are likely to get ugly. Broussard’s owner source expects there to be a lockout, claiming that teams are already holding onto their money in anticipation of a strike. Cherish this season and the next, because we’ll probably be without the NBA for some time in 2011.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-expectannbalockoutin&prov=tsn&type=lgns

There might be a lockout in the nba and the nfl that would be horrible there wouldn't be any sports left to watch if they have lockout's. I was hoping for this to happen to baseball or hockey instead.

SA5195
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I hope there's no lockout.

2011 would be a very boring year without basketball :ohno:

arkanian215
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Keyon Dooling is going to fight this.

jimbobjarree
01-29-2010, 08:54 PM
lol if we have the big 2010 FA and all that excitement and then dont get to see them all play for over a year. Sort it out boys.

ManRam
01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
The NFL will probably be locked out for a little bit. I would bet a lot of money that the NBA doesn't get to that point.

Wilson
01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
We already have a thread for this, which you can find here (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450586).