PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Division: Is Boston catchable?

Macedonian
01-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Toronto - New York 106:104
Boston - Orlando 94:96

Last 8 games:
Boston: 3-5
Toronto: 6-2

Atlantic Standings:
Boston 29-14
Toronto 25-22

Boston's Schedule (next 11 games):
Home: LAL, MIA, NJ, ORL
Away: @ATL, @WAS, @NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

Toronto's schedule (next 14 games):
Home: IND, NJ, SAC, PHI, MEM, WAS, POR, CLE, NYK, PHI
Away: @IND, @NJ, @OKL, @HOU

Wilson
01-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Toronto are only four wins behind, and they do have a very good group of players. I wouldn't necessarily bet on it, but if they got hot and won the division I wouldn't be entirely suprised.

koreancabbage
01-29-2010, 12:46 AM
i think if Hedo actually wakes up from this slump of his, Toronto is a very dangerous team for anyone to play against. Bosh and Bargnani are nightmare match-ups and are one of rising front courts in the NBA. Bargnani could possibly be an all-star center next year if he ups those rebounds, cuz the scoring will just improve every year. (we're just not sure if rebounding numbers will though, but by law of averages and him being a 7-footer, sure)

dev0
01-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Boston's banged up, but you know come playoff time they'll be the team to beat. Even if the raptors can take a momentary lead in the division i dont think it could last all season.

td0tsfinest
01-29-2010, 12:47 AM
we're 6.0 games behind the celtics. The Raptors can definitely go on a little streak, looking at the level of competition they're facing. But I don't think they'll catch the celtics.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-29-2010, 12:58 AM
lol, this is a pretty ridiculous question.

Answer: easily no. (although I'd love it if my knicks catch the Celtics, but I know that is not happening)

The Celtics will win the division by 10+ games. The Raptors will never even sniff the behinds of the Celtics.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-29-2010, 01:00 AM
And they're (Raptors) 8 back in the loss column, which is what matters more for winning teams.

Raph12
01-29-2010, 01:01 AM
If none of their key players get injured for a significant amount of time, then no, no chance.

torontosports10
01-29-2010, 01:03 AM
I had a bad feeling comming in here, but im glad you showed the records and future games since its important to note who each team plays in the near future. The Raps definalty have a chance to go on a good run. They had the hardest schedule in the league till the end of December.

Do I think they will catch them? No, but there is that possibility if everything went right.

jsumadchat
01-29-2010, 01:58 AM
right now, yes. by seasons end? a resounding no

Sixerlover
01-29-2010, 02:47 AM
For the Celtics to go on a monster losing streak, the same time that the Raps go on a monster winning streak is a pretty impossible feat. I doubt the Celtics will finish any lower than 1st.

ManRam
01-29-2010, 01:19 PM
No team that is last in the league in defensive efficiency will ever win a division. Toronto isn't going to be the exception.

ChiSox219
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Maybe, if Hedo makes games like last night his average performance, KG sits out, and Allen continues to struggle. The upcoming schedules do help Toronto's chances

Jays Claw
01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
It could happen but it won't. :sigh:

Raph12
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe, if Hedo makes games like last night his average performance, KG sits out, and Allen continues to struggle. The upcoming schedules do help Toronto's chances

Allen was 7-7, 3-3 from the arc in yesterday's game against the Magic until Redick guarded him (finished 8-12)... Pretty sure his struggles are over.

26-11 isn't going to happen from Hedo for quite some time and the C's will bounce back strong IMO.

Like I said before, I don't think they stand a chance in all honesty.

koreancabbage
01-29-2010, 01:53 PM
i don't see why they can't catch up in the near future but in the end, they shouldn't be able to catch the Celtics- if you look at the Raptors schedule down the stretch, they have:

20 games against sub-par .500 teams
and 15 games against better teams

so lets say they get a reasonable amount of wins against the 'bad' teams with 15-17 wins cuz we're actually coming together as a team
and get half of the games against the stronger teams so 7 to 8 wins

we'd have a record of 25+(15 to 17) + (7 to 8)= 47 to 50 wins

in the next 5 games, which i can see us winning, we can get the deficit under 5 or 4 games, it would be good. BOS will be playing the ATL tonight on a back to back from a heartbreaking loss to ORL. i'd take ATL. and Lakers in town in Boston, i'd take Lakers as well. so that's two more losses and two raptors win, we can get down to 4 i believe barring any wins by Boston or losses by Toronto

There is a stretch where Boston plays:

Orlando
New Orleans
Sacramento (win)
Lakers
Portland
Denver
New York (win)
Cleveland

so i could get a little tighter after that for Boston and Toronto

Raph12
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
i don't see why they can't catch up in the near future but in the end, they shouldn't be able to catch the Celtics- if you look at the Raptors schedule down the stretch, they have:

20 games against sub-par .500 teams
and 15 games against better teams

so lets say they get a reasonable amount of wins against the 'bad' teams with 15-17 wins cuz we're actually coming together as a team
and get half of the games against the stronger teams so 7 to 8 wins

we'd have a record of 25+(15 to 17) + (7 to 8)= 47 to 50 wins

in the next 5 games, which i can see us winning, we can get the deficit under 5 or 4 games, it would be good. BOS will be playing the ATL tonight on a back to back from a heartbreaking loss to ORL. i'd take ATL. and Lakers in town in Boston, i'd take Lakers as well. so that's two more losses and two raptors win, we can get down to 4 i believe barring any wins by Boston or losses by Toronto

There is a stretch where Boston plays:

Orlando
New Orleans
Sacramento (win)
Lakers
Portland
Denver
New York (win)
Cleveland

so i could get a little tighter after that for Boston and Toronto

Boston wins games with their balanced offense and superior defense, while Toronto tries to beat teams strictly with their offense.

Excuse me if I don't buy into the Raptors' success just yet.

OrderOfCook
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Since December 4th, coincidentally when they started winning, the Raptors have a top 10 defense in the league as well as an 18-9 record with wins against LA, San Antonio, Dallas and Orlando coming during that stretch. There were expected hiccups at the start of the year with 9 new players on the roster but as people mention if Hedo starts playing well (even 15 pts a game) the Raps would have a starting F/F/C combo giving them 57/20 a game.

All that said, they'll never catch the Celtics who still have three hall of fame players on their team alongside Sheed, Rondo, Perkins, etc. I hate the Celtics for inexplicable reasons but that team is still a dope basketball team--truly elite, even with the injuries sprinkled in.

pebloemer
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
No team that is last in the league in defensive efficiency will ever win a division. Toronto isn't going to be the exception.

Is that still the case? I know the started horrendous on defense, but they've improved quite a lot. I'm not a numbers person. so can you verify this for me?

Boston wins games with their balanced offense and superior defense, while Toronto tries to beat teams strictly with their offense.
Excuse me if I don't buy into the Raptors' success just yet.

On the recent win against the Lakers Phil Jackson states: "They played some rabid, tenacious defence from about the middle of the third quarter on."

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=2480194

Final two plays for NYK last night in a 2 point game included a Chris Bosh block and Jarrett Jack taking a charge.

I'd argue their recent success has been due to things coming together defensively for the team. I really don't see them trying to win "strictly with their offense."

They are not an elite defensive team or anything, but the defense has been coming together.

The_905
01-29-2010, 03:09 PM

Answer: easily no. (although I'd love it if my knicks catch the Celtics, but I know that is not happening)

The Celtics will win the division by 10+ games. The Raptors will never even sniff the behinds of the Celtics.

say's the celtics fan..

Raph12
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Is that still the case? I know the started horrendous on defense, but they've improved quite a lot. I'm not a numbers person. so can you verify this for me?

On the recent win against the Lakers Phil Jackson states: "They played some rabid, tenacious defence from about the middle of the third quarter on."

Final two plays for NYK last night in a 2 point game included a Chris Bosh block and Jarrett Jack taking a charge.

I'd argue their recent success has been due to things coming together defensively for the team. I really don't see them trying to win "strictly with their offense."

They are not an elite defensive team or anything, but the defense has been coming together.

The Raps are the worst, "Defensive Rating: 112.4 (30th of 30)/Opponent eFG%: .505 (22nd of 30)" and I mean worst defensive team in the league.

Yesterday's game was more offense than anything else, they got some stops late, but it was really shooting over 49% from the floor that got them the win, their defense was the only thing keeping this game from being a blowout.

I stand by my earlier statement.

GodsSon
01-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Since December 4th, coincidentally when they started winning, the Raptors have a top 10 defense in the league as well as an 18-9 record with wins against LA, San Antonio, Dallas and Orlando coming during that stretch. There were expected hiccups at the start of the year with 9 new players on the roster but as people mention if Hedo starts playing well (even 15 pts a game) the Raps would have a starting F/F/C combo giving them 57/20 a game.

All that said, they'll never catch the Celtics who still have three hall of fame players on their team alongside Sheed, Rondo, Perkins, etc. I hate the Celtics for inexplicable reasons but that team is still a dope basketball team--truly elite, even with the injuries sprinkled in.

Good point, our defence has really stepped it up the last 2 months yet people continue to just look at defensive stats that encompass the entire year and the atrocious stretch we were going through during November

alencp3
01-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Toronto - New York 106:104
Boston - Orlando 94:96

Last 8 games:
Boston: 3-5

Atlantic Standings:
Boston 29-14
Toronto 25-22

Boston's Schedule (next 11 games):
Away: @ATL, @WAS, @NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

If they put Bellinelli in the starting lineup maybe yes.

Jays Claw
01-29-2010, 03:22 PM
^ Antoine Wright should be starting over Sonny Weems.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Allen was 7-7, 3-3 from the arc in yesterday's game against the Magic until Redick guarded him (finished 8-12)... Pretty sure his struggles are over.

26-11 isn't going to happen from Hedo for quite some time and the C's will bounce back strong IMO.

Like I said before, I don't think they stand a chance in all honesty.

Oh that JJ. Him and his lockdown D. Watchout guards in the east.

RaptorizedKevin
01-29-2010, 03:30 PM
can we close this thread? its just a thread where the raptors will get bashed for their defense. im from toronto, but i have seen the improvement o nthe defensive end, but if peopl dont wanna believe it, than thats their problem. I guess those games were we had a blowout win over one of the best defensive teams in the league( dallas) , was all bout our offense ? :laugh:

Raph12
01-29-2010, 03:34 PM

Allen spends all day running off screens and through guys, guess what, so does JJ... shut him down last year in the playoffs and he's done it again last night.

He may not be an elite man-on-man defender, but put him on the 30+ year old Ray Allen and you got him on lockdown.

Tony_Starks
01-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Boston can be caught. I can also sleep with Halle Berry. Unfortunately, neither will happen!

LanceUpperCut
01-29-2010, 03:58 PM

People love to ignore facts like this, like it's a fluke oh well I guess we have one of the greatest offensive teams ever:o I still don't think we will cath the Celtics but to say it's impossible thats just the mindless hatered coming out.

pebloemer
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
The Raps are the worst, "Defensive Rating: 112.4 (30th of 30)/Opponent eFG%: .505 (22nd of 30)" and I mean worst defensive team in the league.

Yesterday's game was more offense than anything else, they got some stops late, but it was really shooting over 49% from the floor that got them the win, their defense was the only thing keeping this game from being a blowout.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Those numbers were drastically, drastically worse at the beginning of the season though. The team that is playing now looks much different than the one that started the season. Wright and Jack both called out Triano early for being rigid trying to implement a defensive system that clearly wasn't working and Triano has adapted his defensive strategy. What would our defensive rating be over the past 30 games? I think that would be much more relevant to the way this current squad is playing defense.

If I had ESPN Insider I'd quote John Hollinger here on the turnaround as he touched on it last week.

Their defense isn't stellar or anything, but had they been defending as they were early in the season I would argue it would have been a blowout for the Knicks. They'll never defend like Boston, but to say that they are trying to win games strictly through offense really belittles the work the team has put in on focusing on the defensive end of the floor.

Edit: I'm not arguing that we'll catch Boston, just that the defense doesn't deserve the reputation it earned early in the season.

Gibby23
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I think so. I KG keeps limping around: "Anything is Possible!"

ManRam
01-29-2010, 04:24 PM

He shut down Ray Ray in the playoffs. His defensive rating is 108, the highest on the team. SVG said earlier in the year that he was the team's second best perimeter defender, and I believe it for the most part. He's worked real hard on his defense. People who haven't been paying attention the last two years would be shocked to see how good of a passer, defender and slasher he's become.

ManRam
01-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Edit: I'm not arguing that we'll catch Boston, just that the defense doesn't deserve the reputation it earned early in the season.

I agree they've gotten better, but until they aren't last in the league in defense, I'm not going to really be fearful.

Raph12
01-29-2010, 04:26 PM
He shut down Ray Ray in the playoffs. His defensive rating is 108, the highest on the team. SVG said earlier in the year that he was the team's second best perimeter defender, and I believe it for the most part. He's worked real hard on his defense. People who haven't been paying attention the last two years would be shocked to see how good of a passer, defender and slasher he's become.

A high defensive rating is a bad thing lol.

Defensive rating: An estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions.

SA5195
01-29-2010, 04:28 PM
It could happen.

But don't think it'll last for the whole season.

JackB
01-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Its not like just because we are at the ASB we have 41 games left. I believe each team will only have 29 games to play. As mentioned Boston has been banged up. Garnett will need a little time to get back to full strength. At this point 5-6 games behind is too much to ask . The Raptors are a good team but Boston has expirence on their side and depth. The lead could get cut down to 3-4 games but in my opinion thats about as close as they get.Boston could even widen the gap.

colinskik
01-29-2010, 04:45 PM

A block that then was easily recovered by DLee and put back in, and a charge that is indicative of Harrington's head-down-bull-rush-the-basket type of playing. I wouldn't credit the Raptor's D too much. In fact, if anything that game showed how much of a mirage the Raps are. The Knicks played them very well, could have easily won that game. No way the Raptors leap frog the Celtics.

ManRam
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
A high defensive rating is a bad thing lol.

Defensive rating: An estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions.

Haha. Duh.

It's been a long day. :facepalm:

Should have figured it out when Dwight had the lowest.

pebloemer
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
A block that then was easily recovered by DLee and put back in, and a charge that is indicative of Harrington's head-down-bull-rush-the-basket type of playing. I wouldn't credit the Raptor's D too much. In fact, if anything that game showed how much of a mirage the Raps are. The Knicks played them very well, could have easily won that game. No way the Raptors leap frog the Celtics.

The Knicks did play them well. They are capable of playing a lot of teams well. Like many young teams, it doesn't happen every night. The Knicks definitely could have easily won that game. Going into the game I expected them to.

The Raptor's have also consistently played very poorly all season on second games of back to backs (with Bargnani being a big culprit there), plus they were on the road.

But I don't think people can argue that they are the worst defensive team in the league over the past 30 games. Which is a better sample for how they are currently playing.

colinskik
01-29-2010, 05:17 PM
The Knicks did play them well. They are capable of playing a lot of teams well. Like many young teams, it doesn't happen every night. The Knicks definitely could have easily won that game. Going into the game I expected them to.

The Raptor's have also consistently played very poorly all season on second games of back to backs (with Bargnani being a big culprit there), plus they were on the road.

But I don't think people can argue that they are the worst defensive team in the league over the past 30 games. Which is a better sample for how they are currently playing.
Sure, I wouldn't call them the worst defensive team in the league, but they should be able to beat the Knicks more easily if you think they can take the Atlantic division, especially after completely clobbering them the last time they met. Granted, they were playing a back to back ... also, your point on Bargnani is something I noticed. He was pretty much a non factor last night where as the last game he destroyed the Knicks.

RaptorsFanatic
01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't see it happening, but I would be very happy if my team ended up with another small banner.

Macedonian
01-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Since November 29th, the Raptors have won ALL GAMES against the teams from the Western Conference!
Since November 29th, the Raptors never lost with more than 8 points (30 games played)!
In the last 19 games, the Raptors have 14 wins!

By the end of the next month, the stats will be even more impresive!

pebloemer
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Sure, I wouldn't call them the worst defensive team in the league, but they should be able to beat the Knicks more easily if you think they can take the Atlantic division, especially after completely clobbering them the last time they met. Granted, they were playing a back to back ... also, your point on Bargnani is something I noticed. He was pretty much a non factor last night where as the last game he destroyed the Knicks.

I don't think they can take the Atlantic :).

Reports in Toronto said he was nursing a minor injury, but they also said that after his last poor game on a back to back. Part of me wonders if it is conditioning. He just looks like a completely different player some nights than others (although that has been the case throughout his career). At least we are seeing many more good offensive nights than poor ones and the effort on defense is much better than early in his career.

colinskik
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't think they can take the Atlantic :).

Reports in Toronto said he was nursing a minor injury, but they also said that after his last poor game on a back to back. Part of me wonders if it is conditioning. He just looks like a completely different player some nights than others (although that has been the case throughout his career). At least we are seeing many more good offensive nights than poor ones and the effort on defense is much better than early in his career.
ok, didn't mean to put words in your mouth. There's no doubt the Raps are an improved team, which fans should be very pleased with.

But yeah, Bargnani seemed like two different players, you're right. I was watching the game last night, thinking, "Why did we get manhandled by this team last time?" Answer: Bargnani had the game of his life.

Bob_at_york
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I think so. I KG keeps limping around: "Anything is Possible!"

Yes, if the Celtics continue to get ravaged with injuries and if the Raptors stay healthy then they could catch them. But I think after the allstar break the Celtics will be back to full health and they will hang on to at least a 5 game lead in the division.

td0tsfinest
01-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Since November 29th, the Raptors have won ALL GAMES against the teams from the Western Conference!
Since November 29th, the Raptors never lost with more than 8 points (30 games played)!
In the last 19 games, the Raptors have 14 wins!

By the end of the next month, the stats will be even more impresive!

That is pretty f'n good stats.

Jays Claw
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Everything must go the Raptors' way for them to pass the Celtics in the standings.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-29-2010, 07:17 PM
say's the celtics fan..

I'm a knicks fan you moron. Thats why it says patssoxKNICKS. Also, the fact that I have Danillo Gallinari in my sig who is a KNICKS player might give away that I'm a knicks fan.

Also, if you read the post I said "I'd love it if MY KNICKS could catch them"

Honestly, I feel like calling you a moron isn't enough, I'll call you the stupidest person on PSD by far. You're post has got to be the stupidest one on PSD I've ever seen (and easily the least observant). Congrats.

There should be an intelligence test for those who sign up for PSD so PSD can weed out the morons like this one and make this site more intelligent overall.

magichatnumber9
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM
OH YEAH I believe in you guys.

dtmagnet
01-29-2010, 07:25 PM

They did win the division title a few years ago but I don't know what their defensive eff. rating was at that point. Having said that, I still think the Celtics have a legit shot of finishing first overall in the conference so them losing the divison seems very unlikely to me.

RedSoxFan2434
01-29-2010, 07:31 PM
lol no, we hav slipped a ton but we wer injured, healthy we r the best team in the league good luck toronto.

toronto solid but lmao if they lose bosh they will blow

jetsforever
01-29-2010, 07:33 PM
They can catch them but I dont think they will. The Celtics are just too clutch.

Maybe the Raps can take a lead but they won't finish with one.

Halladay
01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
It's possible but unlikely. The thing is that the Raps are pretty far behind right now but there's some pretty key factors alot of people are overlooking here. It's not about the Raps vs. Celtics here it's based on the schedule's each teams have, the Raptors have one of the easiest schedule's down the stretch, I can't remember the exact numbers but they showed it last night that the combined winning percentage of the next 15 teams they're playing is barely over .300. That my friends favours any team over .500. Factor in The Raps have been one of the best teams in the league(third best I believe) over the last two months, an aging Celtics team and in all likely hood Boston shuts down many of there key players down the stretch...it's definitely possible for Toronto to catch them. Will they? Unlikely IMO.

Halladay
01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
lol no, we hav slipped a ton but we wer injured, healthy we r the best team in the league good luck toronto.

toronto solid but lmao if they lose bosh they will blow

Go back to the Sox forum bud and stop sniffing the homer glue. Boston is not the best team in the league, they're among the best but certainly not crowned. And no, The Raptors are more then just Bosh, you'd know that If you watched them more then once a season.

mjt20mik
01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
We are not going to catch them, plain and simple. Celtics basically have the title right now. However, our team is improving on both ends, and it is sad that people have yet to realize that our team is constantly improving. Curious as to what people will say once April hits, and we are in a similar position as we are now.

Macedonian
01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
UPDATE!!!

Boston - Atlanta 91:100

Last 9 games:
Boston: 3-6
Toronto: 7-2

Atlantic Standings:
Boston 29-15
Toronto 25-22

Boston's Schedule (next 10 games):
Away: @WAS, @NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

tjlipford
01-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Boston is just not that team anymore. Everyone will see it

JackB
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Keep telling yourself that.

tjlipford
01-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Keep telling yourself that.
Keep denying that to yourself

JackB
01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm not a Celtics fan so I'm not denying anything. But sounds like you are a Raptors fan that will be on the outside looking in come the second round of the playoffs.

tjlipford
01-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not a Celtics fan so I'm not denying anything. But sounds like you are a Raptors fan that will be on the outside looking in come the second round of the playoffs.
No, I was born and raised in Cleveland. I dont care about the Raptors or the Celtics just giving my honest opinion on Boston.

JackB
01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Thats right. OPINION Doesn't mean you are right!! Honestly as you put it. I could care less.

smith&wesson
01-30-2010, 12:19 AM
39-40 games left.

anything can happen really.
but the raps are playing very very well rightnow. if boston conintues to have injury problems it can be close but chances are they take the division title, they have a good lead and are a better team right now. the fact that toronto can even compete with boston for the first seed is pretty impressive.

boston is a championship caliber team.

ldc62
01-30-2010, 04:38 AM

If the Raps aren't close, then neither will the Knicks. Don't worry though, theres some major talent in this years draft.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-30-2010, 05:59 AM
If the Raps aren't close, then neither will the Knicks. Don't worry though, theres some major talent in this years draft.

What's your point? I know the Knicks aren't catching the Celtics. Unlike Raptors fans, knicks fans are realistic.

whitesox901
01-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Toronto are only four wins behind, and they do have a very good group of players. I wouldn't necessarily bet on it, but if they got hot and won the division I wouldn't be entirely suprised.

Ditto

Macedonian
01-30-2010, 01:04 PM
OPINION Doesn't mean you are right!
And doesn't mean he is not right!;)

JackB
01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Didn't get the memo.

Macedonian
01-31-2010, 09:29 PM
UPDATE!!!

Boston - LA Lakers 98:99
Indiana - Toronto 103-117

Last 8 games:
Boston: 2-6

Atlantic Standings:
Boston 29-16
Toronto 26-22

Boston's Schedule (next 9 games):
Home: MIA, NJ, ORL
Away: @WAS, @NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

Toronto's schedule (next 13 games):
Home: NJ, SAC, PHI, MEM, WAS, POR, CLE, NYK, PHI

uncleben989
01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
i really think its gonna be close by the end of the season and who knows maybe our last meeting against them might be the difference maker, a win there cuts the lead by 1.0 game

jsumadchat
01-31-2010, 09:36 PM
What's your point? I know the Knicks aren't catching the Celtics. Unlike Raptors fans, knicks fans are realistic.

if atlanta being 2nd in the east is realistic, then so is TO catching boston. the the regular season, anything can happen and lets face it.... boston is a playoff team anyway. come playoffs, boston will be the team to beat and TO prolly wont advance past the first round. but at least they wont be in the lottery like the knicks. ;)

uncleben989
01-31-2010, 09:38 PM

o so knick fans have already realized that landing bosh is a long shot?:D

nstojic
01-31-2010, 09:43 PM
o so knick fans have already realized that landing bosh is a long shot?:D

don't worry, they still have lockers waiting for the name plates of lebron, wade, amare.. :rolleyes:

AntwanN21
01-31-2010, 11:58 PM
while i dont expect it to happen, anything is posssibblle! The raps are playing there best ball while the celtics are playing terrible right now. When all is said and done i expect the celtics to be at top of the division but if my raps keep pulling out huge wins, it will be damn close down the stretch.

IMO the celtics will be 5 games up by seasons end
My Hope: Raps get homecourt advantage with 2 games up on the c's

The_905
02-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm a knicks fan you moron. Thats why it says patssoxKNICKS. Also, the fact that I have Danillo Gallinari in my sig who is a KNICKS player might give away that I'm a knicks fan.

Also, if you read the post I said "I'd love it if MY KNICKS could catch them"

Honestly, I feel like calling you a moron isn't enough, I'll call you the stupidest person on PSD by far. You're post has got to be the stupidest one on PSD I've ever seen (and easily the least observant). Congrats.

There should be an intelligence test for those who sign up for PSD so PSD can weed out the morons like this one and make this site more intelligent overall.

This could very well be the biggest over reaction comment ever to be posted on this site. lol. It had me laughing for like 5 minutes straight. Dude, RELAX!

Straight up, you have way to much hate in your life to making comments like this. I figured you were a C's fan because you're clearly from the Boston area (i.e brady and it says pats and sox in your name). I'm no statistician or anything but I'm pretty sure it's a pretty high percentage of people that cheer for their hometown team.

lol. Just take is easy bud, before you have a heart attack over a F ing comment made on a sports website. lol.

Raps now only 4.5 back after today's vic. It's definitely possible.

Mile High Champ
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM

John Hollinger is a complete fool. Beside the fact that since Dec 18, the Raps have been holding opponents below 100 ppg. Thats 10 points better than their season average. Their defence is no where near as bad as you are descrbing or making mention of.

RaptorizedKevin
02-01-2010, 02:40 AM
the raptors can take boston's place. in the next 8 games, the raptors will win ALL of their games, boston will go 4 for 8. so the raptors should pass them

29 + 4 = 33 celtics
26 + 8 = 34 raps

lol the celtics are gonna keep falliung.

ink
02-01-2010, 02:41 AM
I don't see what the fuss is about getting the 4th seed. The Raps get HCA but then they have to match up against the Celtics, who are the worst possible matchup for them. Better that Boston regains its momentum, finishes in the top 3 and the Raptors take the 5th seed.

The_905
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
^+1..

This is the sad reality were eventually gonna have to face at some point near the end of the season..

It's all about matchups come playoff time not team standings..

thedfactor
02-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Awhile ago I would have obviously said no, but it's only 4.5 games now. Boston has looked old and weaker defensively. Still I just don't think Toronto will consistently win with Boston continually struggling. I still think Boston wins it by 5+

koreancabbage
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
They will if Boston rests KG during the season

jsumadchat
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I don't see what the fuss is about getting the 4th seed. The Raps get HCA but then they have to match up against the Celtics, who are the worst possible matchup for them. Better that Boston regains its momentum, finishes in the top 3 and the Raptors take the 5th seed.

ink its HUGE. its not about 4th seed. remember, playoff seeding structure places division leaders in top 3 by records. so if the raps win atlantic its automatic 3rd seed as opposed to 5th. they would get HCA as WELL AS facing a weaker team than the celts. also, i think our best bet would have to be winning the division because i doubt that the raptors end the season playing better than ORL, ATL, and CLE. i would rather play MIA, CHI, or CHA tbh.

Bob_at_york
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
ink its HUGE. its not about 4th seed. remember, playoff seeding structure places division leaders in top 3 by records. so if the raps win atlantic its automatic 3rd seed as opposed to 5th.
it is automatic top 4 not auto top 3.

jsumadchat
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
it is automatic top 4 not auto top 3.

no its 3. division leaders get top 3 seeds, like in 06-07.

Mile High Champ
02-01-2010, 01:19 PM
ink its HUGE. its not about 4th seed. remember, playoff seeding structure places division leaders in top 3 by records. so if the raps win atlantic its automatic 3rd seed as opposed to 5th. they would get HCA as WELL AS facing a weaker team than the celts. also, i think our best bet would have to be winning the division because i doubt that the raptors end the season playing better than ORL, ATL, and CLE. i would rather play MIA, CHI, or CHA tbh.

Not Anymore. That rule is no longer in play. All a division winner is guranteed is a top 4 seed. The Raps could still very much play Boston if they did in fact fall to the 5th seed. For the Raps to get the 3rd seed, they would have to have a better record than 2 of these teams. CLE, BOS, ORL, ATL.

jsumadchat
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Not Anymore. That rule is no longer in play. All a division winner is guranteed is a top 4 seed. The Raps could still very much play Boston if they did in fact fall to the 5th seed. For the Raps to get the 3rd seed, they would have to have a better record than 2 of these teams. CLE, BOS, ORL, ATL.

wow seriously? when was that implemented?

Bob_at_york
02-01-2010, 01:20 PM
no its 3. division leaders get top 3 seeds, like in 06-07. we were third even though miami had a better record than us.

Well then I guess you better tell every news outlet and of course NBA.com that they are all wrong because their standings seem to disagree with you: http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

jsumadchat
02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Well then I guess you better tell every news outlet and of course NBA.com that they are all wrong because their standings seem to disagree with you: http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

i never knew a rule change was even implemented

Macedonian
02-07-2010, 07:06 PM
UPDATE!!!

Orlando - Boston 96:89
Sacramento - Toronto 104-115

Last 12 games:
Boston: 5-7
Toronto: 9-3

Atlantic standings:
Cleveland 41-11
Orlando 34-17
Atlanta 32-17
Boston 32-17
Toronto 28-23
Charlotte 24 25
etc.

Boston's schedule (next 5 games - all away):
@NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

Toronto's schedule (next 5 games - all at home):
PHI, MEM, WAS, POR, CLE

ink
02-07-2010, 07:15 PM
UPDATE!!!

Orlando - Boston 96:89
Sacramento - Toronto 104-115

Last 12 games:
Boston: 5-7
Toronto: 9-3

Atlantic standings:
Cleveland 41-11
Orlando 34-17
Atlanta 32-17
Boston 32-17
Toronto 28-23
Charlotte 24 25
etc.

Boston's schedule (next 5 games - all away):
@NO, @SAC, @LAL, @POR, @DEN

Toronto's schedule (next 5 games - all at home):
PHI, MEM, WAS, POR, CLE

It's the NBA forum. If you're going to post these could you leave out highlighting your home team?

Besides, the Raptors might catch the Celtics but it's highly unlikely they could beat them in a series.

BALLER R
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
i think its too early to even say..i mean with all the rumors these two teams could change come the trade deadline

Chronz
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Has a team deadlast in defensive efficiency ever won its division? Boston isnt losing this thing guys, like there is NO chance.

Chronz
02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
John Hollinger is a complete fool. Beside the fact that since Dec 18, the Raps have been holding opponents below 100 ppg. Thats 10 points better than their season average. Their defence is no where near as bad as you are descrbing or making mention of.

LOL what does Hollinger have to do with this, Im pretty sure hes the one saying your defense has gotten better.

Besides saying there defense isnt as bad as it was isnt really saying much, they were historically bad to start the year, quite frankly they had nowhere to go but up. Still doesnt change the fact that they are ranked last. Whats there defensive efficiency been in that time frame?

Chronz
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Good point, our defence has really stepped it up the last 2 months yet people continue to just look at defensive stats that encompass the entire year and the atrocious stretch we were going through during November
Do you know how many teams can say this? Everyone likes to take chunks from their teams schedule and pronounce it the teams true level of play. I understand the Raps are better defensively but Im pretty sure they are still among the worst.

Jays Claw
02-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I hope the Raptors can take the fourth seed after the all star break. :pray:

magichatnumber9
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I hope the Raptors can take the fourth seed after the all star break. :pray:Me too Jay Claw. :rolleyes:

heathonater
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
probably not, but the celtics need to work out whatever issues they have fast because they are struggling.

_KB24_
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
No way in hell.

Agar81
02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
nice Chronz 10,000 posts haha

Legitimate
02-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Do you know how many teams can say this? Everyone likes to take chunks from their teams schedule and pronounce it the teams true level of play. I understand the Raps are better defensively but Im pretty sure they are still among the worst.

only 1 team in the nba has played better than us since mid december,pssshaw. its not impossible that raps catch boston in the atlantic division

EDIT: we also have a super ez schedule coming up to the all-star break

ink
02-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't see how it's an advantage for the Raps to take over 4th and push the Celtics into 5th. They are probably the worst matchup Toronto could possibly face, HCA or not. What we actually want is for the Celtics to either finish with the 3rd or 6th seed.

69centers
02-07-2010, 11:36 PM
If the Celtics keep playing like they did in the 3rd quarter of today's game, every team in the division will pass them!

Macedonian
02-07-2010, 11:39 PM
It's the NBA forum. If you're going to post these could you leave out highlighting your home team?
I don't think I brake any rules by doing so, but still I'll do my best not to repeat doing the same thing if I irritate someone that way...
By the way, the reason that in this topic i have highlighted Boston and Toronto is that this topic is if anybody can catch up to Boston, and realistically, the only team that can do so is Toronto...

Either way, here you're THE MAN and I'd appreciate it if you tell me if I really can't highlight my favourite team???:confused:

ink
02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't think I brake any rules by doing so, but still I'll do my best not to repeat doing the same thing if I irritate someone that way...
By the way, the reason that in this topic i have highlighted Boston and Toronto is that this topic is if anybody can catch up to Boston, and realistically, the only team that can do so is Toronto...

OK fair enough. I just didn't want people saying that Raptors fans were being homers again. I see what you were doing now.

I still don't think it's a good thing if we push the Celtics into 5th if it means we're matched up with them. Do you?

btw, congrats on winning the Sporting News pool!

Chronz
02-08-2010, 12:22 AM
nice Chronz 10,000 posts haha

oh your right, I probably shouldve spent it on something worthwhile, oh well.

Really though I cant believe how quickly I got to this mark, I mean I know I have alot of free time on my hands but 10000 posts wow.

only 1 team in the nba has played better than us since mid december,pssshaw. its not impossible that raps catch boston in the atlantic division

EDIT: we also have a super ez schedule coming up to the all-star break
Well Im not buying KG's demise, he will come back soon enough. Even without him this team is better I think.

PS Check out BBR playoff probability model
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi

At best Celtics could reasonably reach 61-21, at worst 45-37. Raps are at best a 51 win team.

But your point about Strength of Schedule is well taken, The C's have the hardest SOS from this point forward.

Raph12
02-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Just because Orlando beat Boston, doesn't mean the Raptors can... The Celts are finally getting healthy.

Macedonian
02-08-2010, 02:02 AM
I still don't think it's a good thing if we push the Celtics into 5th if it means we're matched up with them. Do you?It's not only the play-off... To win Atlantic should be another BIG challenge... Probably the Celtics will win the division, but I'm still hopeful!:)

Here's a nice article:

By Mike Fine
The Patriot Ledger

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics are playing unimaginably poor basketball at times.
It’s not like the Celtics are the dregs of the NBA. They’ve won 32 games, but after their despicable 96-89 Garden loss to Orlando Sunday afternoon, they’re only fourth in the conference and the Toronto Raptors are starting to see green tail lights in the Atlantic Division race.
Source: The Patriot Ledger (http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x644562491/STUPOR-SUNDAY-Celtics-fall-asleep-in-loss-to-Magic)

btw, congrats on winning the Sporting News pool!
Thanks... I'm really proud of this!:)

charlsdq7
02-08-2010, 02:05 AM
could but wont

xabial
02-08-2010, 02:10 AM
They Should. About time the East has a change instead of the same old teams falling behind Boston.... Go Underdogs! :cheer:

Legitimate
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
They Should. About time the East has a change instead of the same old teams falling behind Boston.... Go Underdogs! :cheer:

^^

Legitimate
02-08-2010, 12:23 PM
hahhaha i never really pictured the raps beating out boston for the atlantic division..i have aweird feeling this is going to happen because boston is banged up and raps are one of the hottest teams in the league atm..LOL boston betta watch out!

koreancabbage
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
i still don't see why not? people are just saying that b/c they all think Boston is the better team, but who has the better schedule? Toronto

Boston can't beat any elite teams at the moment but they've been beating up on a lot of weaker teams in earlier in the season. there is still that huge road trip for Boston in March I believe. By then, Raptors could only be 1-2 games back of Boston or even possibly tied up by the time Boston comes back.

Then, we would see how things shape up then. I'd still take Boston in a game or a series. That's why the Raps need 3rd place overall ROFL. ATL is also catchable as well. If that's the case and how it turns out, Raptors could potentially see Chicago or Charlotte in what might be the Raptors series win.

and for those who think i'm being a homer, I'm basing this on the relative ease the Raps play the remainder of the games against inferior opponents. they are NOT the best 3rd or 4th team in the conference, but it could potentially end up that way in the standings. I would take ATL and Boston any day of the week, in a regular season game or playoff series.

Legitimate
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
that should be the raptors main priority is to try get home field advantage where they probably tear most teams to shread because they are so hard to beat athome!! i agree, raps will most likely be 3-4 seed with in a month or so..but holding that spot would be tough..

td0tsfinest
02-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Right now the eastern conference playoffs are divided into four sections:

- the Cavs (who seem poised to be on top of the east again),
- Magic, Celtics and the Hawks duleing it out for 2nd in th east,
- Bulls, Bob-cats, Heat and Bucks; all fighting for that 6-8th spot
- you got the Raptors who are in between it all; Raptors are hot right now but if the Celtics or Hawks start slipping they could by pass them but at the same time a string of bad games could have the raptors falling back.

Sly Guy
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Right now the eastern conference playoffs are divided into four sections:

- the Cavs (who seem poised to be on top of the east again),
- Magic, Celtics and the Hawks duleing it out for 2nd in th east,
- Bulls, Bob-cats, Heat and Bucks; all fighting for that 6-8th spot
- you got the Raptors who are in between it all; Raptors are hot right now but if the Celtics or Hawks start slipping they could by pass them but at the same time a string of bad games could have the raptors falling back.

^^this.

It's easier to fall 2 games than go up 4 or 5. The schedule is easier the rest of the way, but the top group of the conference sitting 5 games up is still a ways a way.

uncleben989
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
only 4 games back

celtics looked attrocious today, how u gonna lose to a CP-less hornets team that struggled recently at home, with their rookie point guard gettin 10 turnovers.

raptors are definitely threatenin now

BTownTeamsRKing
02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
as awful as the celtics are playing, the Celtics beat the raptors without Rondo, Pierce, KG, and Daniels.

the starting line up was:

TA
Ray
Giddens
Sheed
Perkins.

we may suck right now, but toronto is just plain bad. the game was even competitive either

clutchski
02-11-2010, 12:31 AM
uncleben^^^Still though, I'll believe it's possible when we're two games behind. 4 still seems hefty.

Sadds The Gr8
02-11-2010, 12:36 AM
as awful as the celtics are playing, the Celtics beat the raptors without Rondo, Pierce, KG, and Daniels.

the starting line up was:

TA
Ray
Giddens
Sheed
Perkins.

we may suck right now, but toronto is just plain bad. the game was even competitive either

lol? Boston lost to New Orleans w/o Chris Paul...a team that we killed both times with him...

this shows that anybody can beat anybody on a given day so dont assume...

And yea we're a bad team, yet we have a better Home record than Boston does...and we're only 4 games back.:facepalm:

jsumadchat
02-11-2010, 12:45 AM
4 games is still a LOT imo. im gonna wait until 1.5 before i start getting anxious lol

BTownTeamsRKing
02-11-2010, 12:49 AM
lol? Boston lost to New Orleans w/o Chris Paul...a team that we killed both times with him...

this shows that anybody can beat anybody on a given day so dont assume...

And yea we're a bad team, yet we have a better Home record than Boston does...and we're only 4 games back.:facepalm:

yes this is true, but the line up we beat u guys with is INEXCUSABLE to lose to.

Giddens doesnt even play in the NBA thanks to doc rivers. Sheed is lazy. TA is well tony allen. our bench was even worse that night.

jsumadchat
02-11-2010, 12:52 AM
yes this is true, but the line up we beat u guys with is INEXCUSABLE to lose to.

Giddens doesnt even play in the NBA thanks to doc rivers. Sheed is lazy. TA is well tony allen. our bench was even worse that night.

thats not an excuse for anything. if the nets actually have FOUR wins, than that means anything can happen. there are a variety of circumstances that need to be taken into account. im not saying we shoulda beat the celts, because they are still a MUCH BETTER team than the raps, but no games are sure wins.

richardj
02-11-2010, 01:03 AM
boston has a tough schedule...they play the kings..lakers..nuggets...and blazers after the allstar break...while the raps i believe have memphis..new jersery(away)..washington and portland at home..and they are balling right now esp at home..it wont b easy obviously as they still have to compete in these next four games if they wana continue to make a run at this division.... so yeah anything can happen...not saying the'll win it...but i believe they can make it interesting and who knows...only 4 back..go raps!

BTownTeamsRKing
02-11-2010, 01:14 AM
thats not an excuse for anything. if the nets actually have FOUR wins, than that means anything can happen. there are a variety of circumstances that need to be taken into account. im not saying we shoulda beat the celts, because they are still a MUCH BETTER team than the raps, but no games are sure wins.

honestly, the nets are underachieving big time.

Devin Harris is a fine PG
Lopez is an up and comming great center,
Lee and CDR are 2 solid young SGs.

i dont understand how they are that bad. ive seen way worse rosters than theirs.

the celtics right now as u know them wont exist much longer. They will make a big move at the dealine if not sooner. Danny Ainge is trigger happy. he makes deals for the sake of making deals. lol seriously, though the raptors have a nice roster and i believe they should be better than their record as well.

maybe my expectations are too high.

uncleben989
02-11-2010, 01:17 AM

i would say slightly better, not a big difference

Legitimate
02-11-2010, 01:51 AM
i would say slightly better, not a big difference

your sig is hilarious bro!

Legitimate
02-11-2010, 01:54 AM
boston has a tough schedule...they play the kings..lakers..nuggets...and blazers after the allstar break...while the raps i believe have memphis..new jersery(away)..washington and portland at home..and they are balling right now esp at home..it wont b easy obviously as they still have to compete in these next four games if they wana continue to make a run at this division.... so yeah anything can happen...not saying the'll win it...but i believe they can make it interesting and who knows...only 4 back..go raps!

Only 3 games behind celts!!! NICE:D

Raph12
02-11-2010, 02:00 AM
@BTownTeamsRKing,

You had a lot of big words before the season began about what the Celts would do to the Magic and the Lakers, don't see you posting much recently... what happened? cat got your tongue?

Legitimate
02-11-2010, 02:04 AM
4th best home team in the nba, it would be very interesting if we snagged the atlantic division from the celts cus we'd have a much higher chance of makin it past the first round with our homecourt advantage:D. raps have a easy schedule past the all-star break and they are really hot right now so i'm not surprised if we become division leaders...what happen to the celts????

Purple&Gold24
02-11-2010, 02:16 AM
The Raptors may end up the 3rd seed in the east..

Raph12
02-11-2010, 02:25 AM
4th best home team in the nba, it would be very interesting if we snagged the atlantic division from the celts cus we'd have a much higher chance of makin it past the first round with our homecourt advantage:D. raps have a easy schedule past the all-star break and they are really hot right now so i'm not surprised if we become division leaders...what happen to the celts????

You mean tied for 4th best home team in the East, in the NBA, you guys are tied for 7th:

1. Cleveland: 23-3
2. LA Lakers: 25-4
3. Denver: 23-4
4. Atlanta: 21-5
5. Orlando: 20-5
6. Utah: 22-6
T7. Toronto: 19-6
T7. Charlotte: 19-6
9. Phoenix: 18-6
10. Memphis: 18-8

bigtings34
02-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Raptors Are Crap They Have No Chance All They Have Been Doing is beating crappy teams congrats on beating the lakers. Who knows maybe you'll win the NBA Championship LOL!!!!!!!!1

Legitimate
02-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Oh my bad.hahaha.

Legitimate
02-11-2010, 02:39 AM
Raptors Are Crap They Have No Chance All They Have Been Doing is beating crappy teams congrats on beating the lakers. Who knows maybe you'll win the NBA Championship LOL!!!!!!!!1

wow hahaha.suppose your a celts fan???? crap??we are a pretty decent team. a wins a win homey, besides..we also beat alotta good teams to go on with our record.

uncleben989
02-11-2010, 02:53 AM
@BTownTeamsRKing,

You had a lot of big words before the season began about what the Celts would do to the Magic and the Lakers, don't see you posting much recently... what happened? cat got your tongue?

relax there buddy, u dont see us raps fan callin u out each time u predict a raps loss and usually end up wrong like today against the sixers, and the other day against the kings, and so many more games, i wanna list them all..matter in fact raph, please pick against the raptors :D

Raph12
02-11-2010, 03:10 AM
relax there buddy, u dont see us raps fan callin u out each time u predict a raps loss and usually end up wrong like today against the sixers, and the other day against the kings, and so many more games, i wanna list them all..matter in fact raph, please pick against the raptors :D

You see, I look at the Raptors and see the worst defensive team in the league, which is why I haven't bought into the hype just yet. I want to see how the Raptors defense, or lack there of, translates over come playoffs. If they play the Cavs, Magic, Celts or even Bobcats, I'll take defense over offense anyday of the week. I think the Raps are like the old Suns team, an offense-oriented squad, I know they can win games, but don't know if they can do it when it matters.

Btw I thought AI was playing and seeming as how I'm a big AI fan, couldn't go against him... Plus, I predict games based on a lot of factors, I don't just say "the Raptors suck and the Sixers will destroy them this season," like the guy above did in the offseason.

ink
02-11-2010, 03:24 AM
You see, I look at the Raptors and see the worst defensive team in the league, which is why I haven't bought into the hype just yet. I want to see how the Raptors defense, or lack there of, translates over come playoffs. If they play the Cavs, Magic, Celts or even Bobcats, I'll take defense over offense anyday of the week. I think the Raps are like the old Suns team, an offense-oriented squad, I know they can win games, but don't know if they can do it when it matters.

Btw I thought AI was playing and seeming as how I'm a big AI fan, couldn't go against him... Plus, I predict games based on a lot of factors, I don't just say "the Raptors suck and the Sixers will destroy them this season," like the guy above did in the offseason.

Wherever you're getting your info, it's out of date or inaccurate. You're generalizing using old points that apply less and less to the Raptors these days. And btw, saying the Raptors are Phoenix North is ridiculous. The roster isn't composed the same way and they are not being coached in the same way at all. The fact that you're making this point is the real give away that you haven't really seen enough of the team to know. No one says you should buy into the hype, but at least before pronouncing judgement on a team, you should have at least some familiarity with it.

ink
02-11-2010, 03:45 AM
You mean tied for 4th best home team in the East, in the NBA, you guys are tied for 7th:

1. Cleveland: 23-3
2. LA Lakers: 25-4
3. Denver: 23-4
4. Atlanta: 21-5
5. Orlando: 20-5
6. Utah: 22-6
T7. Toronto: 19-6
T7. Charlotte: 19-6
9. Phoenix: 18-6
10. Memphis: 18-8

I think he meant to say 4th best record in the East, which is what I heard on tonight's broadcast when they moved to 20-6. Pretty credible achievement when you consider that 5 of the top 8 teams in the league are from the East.

Raph12
02-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Wherever you're getting your info, it's out of date or inaccurate. You're just generalizing using old points that apply less and less to the Raptors these days. And btw, saying the Raptors are Phoenix North is ridiculous. The roster isn't composed the same way and they are not being coached in the same way at all. The fact that you're making this point is the real give away that you haven't really seen enough of the team to know. No one says you should buy into the hype, but at least before pronouncing judgement on a team, you should have at least some familiarity with it.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're getting at; the Raptors aren't a fast-paced team and since December w/e they've done this and that... fact remains, they still have a defensive rating of 112.4, which means they give up about 112 points or so every 100 possessions, which ranks them 30th of 30 teams, AKA worst in the league!

Don't you wonder why their oppenents score in triple digits in 13 of their last 16 games? Their pace factor is only 93.4, ranked 9th in the league, which means they get about 93 possessions or so for every 48 minutes they play. Which is why you seem them hold a couple of teams under 100pts every once in a while.

I know that they have they rely heavily on their offense to beat teams and they play mediocre defense at best, which is enough for me to vote against them against any of the top defensive teams in the league (Boston, Orlando, LA, Cleveland or Charlotte).

ink
02-11-2010, 04:00 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know what you're getting at; the Raptors aren't a fast-paced team and since December w/e they've done this and that... fact remains, they still have a defensive rating of 112.4, which means they give up about 112 points or so every 100 possessions, which ranks them 30th of 30 teams, AKA worst in the league!

That's the only stat I've seen that ranks them 30th. And the problem with a stat like that that includes the whole seasons results is that it isn't an accurate reflection of how the team is performing now. It's an average, and kind of useless, like an average of someone's marks where they get 4 As, a B, and an F they got at the start of the year.

In this case, a generalized stat averages out a year that for the Raptors started out brutally and then turned sharply in a positive direction in December. And they've beaten some great teams in that time, so it's inaccurate to suggest that they've only beaten weak teams. They play the same weak teams any other team does, and they play the same elite teams. Since December, the Raptors have beaten the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, and the Magic. For a raw, young, new roster like theirs, it's foolish to dismiss that accomplishment.

They were destroyed by several teams earlier in the year with lopsided blowouts. Take those stats away to find out how they have done since December and you will find that the team's D has improved. What a generalized stat like that also doesn't show is how a team performs over the course of a game. The Raptors have shown a knack for getting stops when they need them, and they have also shown a real knack for being able to close out games with good D. You don't find those specifics in a vague stat like the one you're using.

That's why you shouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss other posters' views about their own team. Don't just assume they're homers. In this case, they do understand both the Raptors' weakness on D, because it's obvious to all of us, but they also understand the team's improvement on D, especially situational D. That's relevant info you wouldn't have access to by depending on generalized stats.

JNA17
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
i forgot but is the hawks in the atlantic division? If they are i think they already caught the celtics right?

Bob_at_york
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
i forgot but is the hawks in the atlantic division? If they are i think they already caught the celtics right?

they aren't in the Atlantic.

Raph12
02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
That's the only stat I've seen that ranks them 30th. And the problem with a stat like that that includes the whole seasons results is that it isn't an accurate reflection of how the team is performing now. It's an average, and kind of useless, like an average of someone's marks where they get 4 As, a B, and an F they got at the start of the year.

In this case, a generalized stat averages out a year that for the Raptors started out brutally and then turned sharply in a positive direction in December. And they've beaten some great teams in that time, so it's inaccurate to suggest that they've only beaten weak teams. They play the same weak teams any other team does, and they play the same elite teams. Since December, the Raptors have beaten the Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, and the Magic. For a raw, young, new roster like theirs, it's foolish to dismiss that accomplishment.

They were destroyed by several teams earlier in the year with lopsided blowouts. Take those stats away to find out how they have done since December and you will find that the team's D has improved. What a generalized stat like that also doesn't show is how a team performs over the course of a game. The Raptors have shown a knack for getting stops when they need them, and they have also shown a real knack for being able to close out games with good D. You don't find those specifics in a vague stat like the one you're using.

That's why you shouldn't be quite so quick to dismiss other posters' views about their own team. Don't just assume they're homers. In this case, they do understand both the Raptors' weakness on D, because it's obvious to all of us, but they also understand the team's improvement on D, especially situational D. That's relevant info you wouldn't have access to by depending on generalized stats.

Yeah you're right in the sense that they seem to play some defense down the stretch, in close games. But they still lack that defensive intensity to play hard at that end for even one half and that all starts with Bosh. If he can show that he puts defense ahead of offense, the rest of his teammates will follow suit.

You didn't answer my question about why the Raps have given up 100+pts in 13 or their last 16 games... And why they've still lost to the Celts over and over... Like I said, I just haven't seen enough from them on the defensive end, to give them the nod over the Celtics, Cavs, Lakers, Magic or even Bobcats in a 7-game series. I'm a firm believer of the saying "Defense wins championships" and until I can see the Raps play it at a high intensity level during the game, rather than just at clutch moments, I can't buy into what they're selling just yet.

Raph12
02-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I think he meant to say 4th best record in the East, which is what I heard on tonight's broadcast when they moved to 20-6. Pretty credible achievement when you consider that 5 of the top 8 teams in the league are from the East.

Btw 19-6 is their updated home record, keeping them tied for 4th in the East and 7th in the league with Charlotte, and he said "in the NBA" and acknowledged his mistake in a previous post.

Bob_at_york
02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Btw 19-6 is their updated home record, keeping them tied for 4th in the East and 7th in the league with Charlotte, and he said "in the NBA" and acknowledged his mistake in a previous post.

19-6? Yahoo and Espn disagree with you:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

Raph12
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
19-6? Yahoo and Espn disagree with you:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings
http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

NBA.com agrees... Damn guys need to get their **** straight... you're right, my bad.

Gibby23
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
The Raps are coming. These 2 are going to finish 4th and 5th seed. I see the Raps taking the lead over Boston in about the end of March and having the home court in the 1st round.

AK-50
02-11-2010, 12:53 PM

so there wont be any more confusion in the future

Atlantic
Boston
Toronto
Philadelphia
New York
New jersey

Central
Cleveland
Chicago
Milwaukee
Detroit
Indiana

Southeast
Orlando
Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami
Washington

Northwest
Denver
Utah
Oklahoma City
Portland
Minnesota

Pacific
LA Lakers
Phoenix
LA Clippers
Sacramento
Golden State

Southwest
Dallas
San Antonio
Houston
New Orleans
Memphis

coolmo
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
don't really care if we win the division title.
it's better because we will get a home court adv.
but, our goal is not the division title.
it's 2nd round of playoff.

DaoudS
02-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Toronto has beaten elite teams, but the fact remains they have had a favorable schedule in the past few weeks after having a schedule that was rape. However, I believe that they've gained confidence and learned to play together against teams with lesser talent. Lets see how that translate into the final 30 games of the season.

I believe the Celtics are catchable but the Raptors need to show mental toughness and continue to improve their D.