PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Grizzlies: Contender or Pretender?

mp3
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
The Grizzlies have been playing really good after starting the season 1 - 8. Their starting five is probably one of the best in the league. They are a game back of the 4th seed, since the 4th through 8th seed is really close as of right now. I think if they can trade for a good bench guy or two, then they could make some noise in the playoffs. Their bench had only 4 points in their win against the piston last night.

Anyone else think they could make some noise in the playoffs.

I see a run like the 06' warriors WE BELIEVE team

king4day
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Contenders if they can improve their bench. Otherwise they'll suffer the same fate Phoenix did in 04/05.
Jim Jackson was our top guy off the bench after Barbosa.

#1Mavericksfan
01-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't call them contenders just yet but there not far from it.

There gonna scare the hell out of some team in the playoffs I just hope it's not the Mavericks.

Bucsfan
01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
contenders for what? making the playoffs or winning a championship? i would say they could make the playoffs....but definetely not a championship

phila_gorilla
01-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Def. not contenders yet. Soon though. Can't say they are contenders unless you honestly think they can beat the West's elite in a legit 7 game series. Elite being Lakers, Nuggets and even the Spurs and Utah.

ManRam
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Not title contenders, but I think they could win a playoff series.

Their starting 5 is absolutely filthy.

blams
01-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Pretenders

alencp3
01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't call them contenders just yet but there not far from it.

There gonna scare the hell out of some team in the playoffs I just hope it's not the Mavericks.

So its the best for Mavs to NOT finish 1st or 2nd lol

mightybosstone
01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Best case scenario? Second round exit in the playoffs.
Worst case scenario? Mayo starts playing like his age, Randolph gets bored and they miss the playoffs entirely.
Likely? Low seed who gets trounced in the first round.

johnwayne
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Def. not contenders yet. Soon though. Can't say they are contenders unless you honestly think they can beat the West's elite in a legit 7 game series. Elite being Lakers, Nuggets and even the Spurs and Utah.

um yea the spurs and the jazz are not elite teams....and since the grizz are 1 game behind the spurs and 2 behind the jazz, does that make memphis an elite team too???

mightybosstone
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
um yea the spurs and the jazz are not elite teams....and since the grizz are 1 game behind the spurs and 2 behind the jazz, does that make memphis an elite team too???

The Spurs and Jazz have more playoff experience in any single year of the last decade than the Grizz have in the ENTIRETY of their franchise. If the Grizzlies met either of those two teams in the playoffs, Memphis will get swept.

jimbobjarree
01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
I dont think they're either. They are definatly not contenders, and I dont think they pretend they are either, just a good team having a solid season.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
They're good enough to shock somebody in the first round. I've watched several of their games and their really fun to watch. Hopefully this year will be a stepping stone in turning the franchise around!

Ollie Tabooger
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
i think they are comparible to the 2008 hawks team, which was young and full of talent. They gave the eventual NBA champion Boston Celtics a huge scare, and have improved and developed their young guys. I see the Grizzlies having a first or second round exit in the playoffs this year, but watch out in a couple of years if they keep the core together

arkanian215
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
The Grizzlies have been playing really good after starting the season 1 - 8. Their starting five is probably one of the best in the league. They are a game back of the 4th seed, since the 4th through 8th seed is really close as of right now. I think if they can trade for a good bench guy or two, then they could make some noise in the playoffs. Their bench had only 4 points in their win against the piston last night.

Anyone else think they could make some noise in the playoffs.

I see a run like the 06' warriors WE BELIEVE team

put them in the east.

The Smurf
01-28-2010, 05:47 PM
They are in that in between area. i dont think they can contend for a championship, but I think that they can make the playoffs and win a series.

td0tsfinest
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
They've got a solid starting five. Even scoring, solid defense. But their bench is a big question?

I'm a huge fan of Sam Young and Demarre Carroll. Outside of Tinsley, Hunter and Randolph their team is incredibly young and inexperience. Best Case scenario; 7 or 8 seed with first round exit.