PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Arenas buy-out seems likely

mballa22191
01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
He said this on sportscenter tonight..... He said this would move him into the 2010 free agency class... That would be pretty interesting.. As I don't see him as a max player but prob like 13 or 14 million on the open market...

(My thoughts)Saying that he would absolutely not go back to the Wizards(if he were bought out) He would be a prime candidate for the Knicks if Lebron and Bosh were to stay with their respective teams.

I know this is a little bit of a stretch but what do you guys think?

bal_ravens
01-28-2010, 02:46 AM
I can see that happening. Or honestly I could see him taking a paycut and smaller contract to go to the Lakers(has always wanted to play there).

If released, I wonder what the cap figure would look like for the Wizards. They could hold onto Jamison and Butler, trade Butler and their first if need be to move up and get Walls, resign Haywood and sign a free agent SG or SF.

Wall, Foye, FA, Jamison, Haywood. Would be a pretty solid group

JJ_JKidd
01-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Hes never gonna be the same again. I highly doubt if someone offers him a MAX.

pd7631
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Unbelievable. This worked out so well for the Wizards from a pure basketball standpoint. I wish Elton Brand and Andre Iguodala would bring some guns into the Wachovia Center so that we can cut their *****, and not have it count against our cap.

thedfactor
01-28-2010, 03:42 AM
If he's the Knicks' consolation prize at anything over 10 million I feel so bad for NY Fans.

Teeboy1487
01-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Unbelievable. This worked out so well for the Wizards from a pure basketball standpoint. I wish Elton Brand and Andre Iguodala would bring some guns into the Wachovia Center so that we can cut their *****, and not have it count against our cap. :laugh:

JasonJohnHorn
01-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Maybe New York can sign him to a big deal, then force him to leave his score-first approach and play a pass first game and when that doesn't work they can buy him out and he can sign with the Celtics and back up Rondo while riding the bench on the way to a ring (unless Garnett gets injured).... anyways.

Seriously, scoring point guards? The last time a point gaurd who lead his team in scoring won an NBA title was 1990 (the Pistons with Thomas- who was NOT a score first point guard). And the last time a team won an title with a point guard that scored more than 20+ a game was 1972! And that was the Lakers! As in the Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain Lakers, and that point guard didn't even bring the ball up. West brought the ball up and Gail Goodrich was the second option ball handler.

I'm not sure why any team EVER gives a big contract to a score-first point guard who can't defend well and scores 25+ while shooting around 40% and handing out one turnover for every two assists.

king4day
01-28-2010, 10:16 AM
How much is he looking at?
Sounds like the Wizards Brass talked to him and don't wanna screw him completely.
He'll probably get 10mil, but I don't get why they'd do that to him when it'll still be a cap hit.

clutchski
01-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't think any team would touch arenas with a huge contract knowing his injury history and off court issues.

Kobe2324
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, if he's expecting a big contract when he comes back he wont be to happy. Nobody will offer more than the mid level for Arenas, he hasn't shown that he is the player he was before the injuries and the off court issues are just not helping at all. I like Gilbert, but he has really messed up his career...

RadiantShot
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Now, one of the biggest busts in the NBA ladies and gentleman!

aZekuiS
01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Maybe New York can sign him to a big deal, then force him to leave his score-first approach and play a pass first game and when that doesn't work they can buy him out and he can sign with the Celtics and back up Rondo while riding the bench on the way to a ring (unless Garnett gets injured).... anyways.

Seriously, scoring point guards? The last time a point gaurd who lead his team in scoring won an NBA title was 1990 (the Pistons with Thomas- who was NOT a score first point guard). And the last time a team won an title with a point guard that scored more than 20+ a game was 1972! And that was the Lakers! As in the Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain Lakers, and that point guard didn't even bring the ball up. West brought the ball up and Gail Goodrich was the second option ball handler.

I'm not sure why any team EVER gives a big contract to a score-first point guard who can't defend well and scores 25+ while shooting around 40% and handing out one turnover for every two assists.

In 2007 Tony Parker led his team in scoring in the playoffs and finals and won finals MVP. I would never want Arenas on my team though, he's low IQ, selfish, & takes bad shots all game.

SensandRaps
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
he is going to go to a city that allows guns:p

$ NyC $
01-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Eddy Curry buy a gun.

Get it done

igPay atinLay
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I would not take him for free.

If you are a player would you want a guy who may defecate in your shoe on your team and maybe threaten you with a gun.

As a coach do you want to coach a guy that may hurt your locker room.

As a GM or Owner do you want a guy that if going to ultimately be a problem, because people don't change that much, their true character will always come out.

David Stern dropped the ball, hopefully playing next year isn't an option when his federal sentence comes down. No good team is going to take a chance on a guy like this, or at least they shouldn't, you don't inject cancer into a healthy cell and expect something good to happen. A bad team may or may not want him, if he's on a one year deal he may be okay but longer than that and your playing with fire.

arkanian215
01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
he is going to go to a city that allows guns:p

he still can't bring them to work.

RaiderLakersA's
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
When will we learn if he has jail time or not? And can Stern then turn around and suspend him further for what the Courts decide? That will determine what the Wizards offer him and whether or not another team will sign him, and for how much.

igPay atinLay
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
March 26 is the day of the sentencing.

Chronz
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Gilbert better agree to give up 90% of his contract, how can he get a buy out if he just signed the damn thing. He still has like 4-5 years on it, this is getting out of hand if he gets like 50% of that.

igPay atinLay
01-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Gilbert better agree to give up 90% of his contract, how can he get a buy out if he just signed the damn thing. He still has like 4-5 years on it, this is getting out of hand if he gets like 50% of that.

If I'm the Wizards I do everything in my power to get the contract voided for violation of the morals clause. Talk to the league and let the fight begin, worst case scenario a buyout happens later if the contract can't be voided. Also, if bring 4 guns to a place that does not allow guns for the purpose of bringing them out in front of another human being and using someone's shoe as a toilet are not violations of a morals clause then I really don't know what is.

arkanian215
01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
i'm not sure why arenas would accept a buyout. unless i knew i could get more long term, i wouldn't accept it. It would have to be more than 80 mil over the next four years. he has an option for 2012-14 worth about $43 mil over the two years. If he knew teams would give him around $10 mil a year then a 80-85% buyout of the entire contract (including option years) would be reasonable. Anything less sounds like meddling by some third party. no player would in his right mind accept a buyout and end up breaking even. cough stern.

strangely enough, gilbert arenas may be the biggest beneficiary from this mess (at least in the wallet). he'd want a bigger percentage depending on how much he was paid this year.

king4day
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
i'm not sure why arenas would accept a buyout. unless i knew i could get more long term, i wouldn't accept it. It would have to be more than 80 mil over the next four years. he has an option for 2012-14 worth about $43 mil over the two years. If he knew teams would give him around $10 mil a year then a 80-85% buyout of the entire contract (including option years) would be reasonable. Anything less sounds like meddling by some third party. no player would in his right mind accept a buyout and end up breaking even. cough stern.

strangely enough, gilbert arenas may be the biggest beneficiary from this mess (at least in the wallet). he'd want a bigger percentage depending on how much he was paid this year.

If he can be assured there's no way his contract will be voided, then you're right.
Seems like the Wiz are trying to be nice.

mike_noodles
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM

A standard NBA contract has a "morals clause", whereby if a player commits an act that is morally objectionable, his contract can be voided, meaning he gets nothing, not 50%, not 10% ---- $0.00. IF the Wizards decide to buy him out, it is because they feel obligated to give him something.

On another note, to the guy who said Arenas will get $13-14 million when he becomes a free agent, unless Zeke is back as a GM, I don't see that happening, he'll be lucky to get MLE, but will most likely get the vets minimum.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
If Im Arenas the only way I accept a buyout is if Im still keeping a good piece of that change. Otherwise the Wizards would just have to pay him to stay away like Tinsley or Marbury.

On hoopshype they're reporting that union lawyers have met about this situation for weeks and everyone has the same opinion: there's pretty much no chance that they can void his contrat. Not even on the "moral turpitude" clause.

So basically Washington is screwed, they'd be better off trying to trade him and move on.