DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Hamilton Could Be Next Piston From Glory Years to Go
By Chris Tomasson

First, it was Ben Wallace.

Then it was Chauncey Billups.

Then it was Rasheed Wallace.

Next, it looks like Richard Hamilton.

Key players from Detroit's glory years of the past decade slowly have been departing (OK, so Ben Wallace did return this season with less hair and less game). It certainly is showing as Billups calls it "sad'' when he looks at the standings, which showed the Pistons entering Wednesday at 15-28.

Look for Hamilton to be the next to go. A source close to the situation told FanHouse the Pistons are committed to trading the three-time All-Star guard by next summer. He could be moved by the Feb. 18 trade deadline, but if no suitable deal surfaces it would be a priority during the offseason.

For now, even in the forgiving East, the Pistons are six games out of playoff position. They've dropped 16 of their past 20, including a recent 13-game losing streak.

"It's sad,'' said Billups, now Denver's star guard after a November 2008 trade. "I'm always going to have a huge place in my heart for the Pistons and Detroit. I hate to see them in trouble like that, especially guys who are still like my brothers and what they're going through.''

Billups still keeps in touch with the three members now in Detroit from the team that won the 2004 title and in 2005 lost the NBA Finals in seven games to San Antonio. They are Hamilton, forward Tayshaun Prince and Ben Wallace, the center who bolted as a free agent to Chicago in the summer of 2006 before returning this season at age 35.

Ben Wallace's departure, coming after the Pistons had the NBA's best record at 64-18, pretty much ended Detroit's time as a title favorite. Still, the Pistons were 59-23 just two years ago, winning the Central Division by a staggering 14 games over Cleveland and falling to Boston 4-2 in the Eastern Conference finals.

But the move that sent the Pistons spiraling downward was the Billups trade, which landed Allen Iverson in Detroit. Billups, 33, hasn't lost a millimeter off his step since the deal while Iverson's problems with the Pistons were well-documented.

Detroit executive Joe Dumars, who then watched last summer as Rasheed Wallace left as a free agent to Boston, made the Billups trade to clear playing time for point guard Rodney Stuckey and to get salary-cap room. Stuckey is playing well, but the Pistons didn't exactly hit triple 7s with the cap room after hastily signing guard Ben Gordon and forward Charlie Villanueva last summer.

"They've had some injuries,'' said Nuggets guard Arron Afflalo, who played for Detroit the previous two seasons. "They've got some young players. I'm pretty sure the way Joe is building, he wants to win, but it isn't always necessary to win immediately.''

Injuries have been a factor, but don't go overboard in blaming Detroit's poor record on that. The Pistons are 1-10 this season when Prince plays, 7-18 when Gordon does and 6-10 with Hamilton.

Dumars has lost some luster in Detroit, but he's sure loved in Denver. If the Nuggets win a title, he ought to be voted a playoff share.

In 2003, Dumars passed over Carmelo Anthony, now a Nuggets star forward, with the No. 2 pick to take Darko Milicic. There was the gift of Billups, which got Denver's Mark Warkentien an Executive of the Year trophy. Then Warkentien had another Detroit heist last summer, getting Afflalo, who is averaging 21.5 points the last two games while making 11-of-16 three-pointers, for next to nothing.

Dumars, though, remains a class act. He consulted with Billups before trading him to his hometown of Denver. It wouldn't be surprising if Dumars works with Hamilton in moving him and doesn't just send him to any team willing to take his contract.

Hamilton's contract will be very hard to move. Hamilton, who turns 32 next month, has three more years left after this one at a total of $34 million.

Just in case you're wondering, the Nuggets aren't interested in acquiring Hamilton.fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/27/hamilton-could-be-next-piston-from-glory-years-to-go/)

ChiSox219
01-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I can't see anyone taking on that contract this year. If someone is looking for a wing they could grab Salmons for about the same price and his contract is much more reasonable.

Vinny642
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
New Orleans wouldn't mind

HoopsDrive
01-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Hah, so much truth there about Dumars. Never saw it from that point of view either. Billups and Melo as a gift to the Nuggets, nice.

Kakaroach
01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Utah decided to try a AK-47 trade for him. Maybe even Boozer if we're sure he won't re-sign with us this summer.

kblo247
01-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Rip and Prince would kick *** in San Antonio or Orlando

Wilson
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Utah decided to try a AK-47 trade for him. Maybe even Boozer if we're sure he won't re-sign with us this summer.

I've wanted a Boozer/Hamilton swap for such a long time now. It makes much less sense for Detroit now with Charlie V. there, but I still think a Williams/Hamilton backcourt could be fantastic.

tMoNEy24
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
A Dwills Rip backcourt = RAW.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
I've wanted a Boozer/Hamilton swap for such a long time now. It makes much less sense for Detroit now with Charlie V. there, but I still think a Williams/Hamilton backcourt could be fantastic.

As a Nuggets fan, I'm going to have to veto that one.

Wilson
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
As a Nuggets fan, I'm going to have to veto that one.

Haha, I might not be so eager to see either it if I was in that division...

Utahjazzfan18
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I would love to see Rip on the Jazz. The way he moves without the ball, he'd be a more athletic version of what Harpring used to be for us.

Raoul Duke
01-27-2010, 09:18 PM
In 2003, Dumars passed over Carmelo Anthony, now a Nuggets star forward, with the No. 2 pick to take Darko Milicic.

I love how all the talking heads love to point out that pick, as if they had the foresight to know it was the wrong choice. Dumars got an A+ from most sportwriters in the country for that draft, because according to them "he got the best big man available".

I've heard that Denver was planning on taking Darko if he was still available. Hell, I bet there were at least seven teams in the top ten that year that would've taken him.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I've heard that Denver was planning on taking Darko if he was still available. Hell, I bet there were at least seven teams in the top ten that year that would've taken him.

You heard right. Kiki had some bigtime Euro love going on at the time, and Denver lucked into the Melo pick.

One word: Skita.

levignjw
01-27-2010, 09:32 PM
I love how all the talking heads love to point out that pick, as if they had the foresight to know it was the wrong choice. Dumars got an A+ from most sportwriters in the country for that draft, because according to them "he got the best big man available".

x2. Dumars took a risk that year when he went for Darko, and obviously it did not pan out how any of us thought it would. Hindsight is 20/20, I think it's about time we let that draft go.

Young2Kinsler
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Hamilton for Howard

Raoul Duke
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Hamilton for Howard

Done! Have your people call my people.

bahama0811
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
You heard right. Kiki had some bigtime Euro love going on at the time, and Denver lucked into the Melo pick.

One word: Skita.

Please don't remind me...

JWO35
01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I would love a Hamilton for Josh Howard trade :pray:

Chronz
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Thats a K-Mart contract

mikantsass
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
They didnt give Ben Gordon all that cheddah for nothin

lakerboy
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
I think Toronto should make a play for Hamilton.

He's what they need. A guy at the 2 position who can score, defend, and has winning experience.

NiTEFuRY
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
A few quick replies:

As a Pistons fan, I love this. I want a big man who can extend like him.

I can't see anyone taking on that contract this year. If someone is looking for a wing they could grab Salmons for about the same price and his contract is much more reasonable.

Hamilton for Howard

Id like to throw in Prince + RIP for Howard and someone else since we really dont need another SF.

I think Toronto should make a play for Hamilton.

I'm sure Joe D would take Amir back ;) just kidding, i like a lot of the Raptor players, including Bosh - make that happen!

Wow just a night of good trade ideas! Someone call Joe Dumars and those other GMs to make them work! Go Pistons!

IversonIsKrazy
01-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Salmons for Rip is what im going to be hoping for. Or Jefferson for Rip :)

JOSKOMANG4
01-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Pistons & Mavericks trade:

1) Mavericks acquire SF) T.Prince & SG) Rip Hamilton

Lineup:

PF-C) Dirk N./ Dampier(C) / T.Thomas
PF) S.Marion / Najera/ J.Singelton
SF) T.Prince / Q.Ross
SG) R.Hamilton / J.Terry(6th man)
PG) J.Kidd / JJ Barea / R.Beaubois

Pistons acquire SF/SG J.Howard, PF D.Gooden, & SG M.Carroll

C) D.Gooden / B.Wallace / K.Brown
PF) J.Maxiell / Wilcox / Jerebko
SF) C.Villanueva / Daye / D.Summers
SG) B.Gordon / M.Carroll
PG) R.Stuckey / W.Bynum / Atkins

aZekuiS
01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
If he gets moved before the deadline I think he'll end up in either New Orleans, Dallas, or Utah. Prince will mostly likely be traded also, maybe together.

todu82
01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
He'd be a good add for any teams. I think a Rip Hamilton move out of Detroit is inevitable.