PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA need a new commisioner

igPay atinLay
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Should the NBA get a new commissioner once David Stern's contract expires?

I never liked him, I felt that he never or almost never takes the right stance and when he does take a stance on something its either way to harsh or way to light.

I think the NBA can become as big if not bigger than the NFL globally and in the US (I am a huge NFL and a moderate NBA fan an that won't change). The right commissioner elevates his product like Taglibue did with the NFL. The right commissioner take a hard stance when he needs to and is always trying to market the league to all people not just select people.

I think its time for Stern to go...what and why do you all think.

enderandrew
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
The NBA has grown significantly. It is doing very well under Stern for the most part.

My beef with the NBA right now is the refs. I have little faith that the games are officiated fairly. If Stern doesn't fix that situation, it could blow up and ruin everything he has done up to this point.

JDizzle
01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
david stern made the nba what it is today.

theuuord
01-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Stern has done a great job as commissioner IMO. It's easy to blame the power structure when you dislike something about the sport but a lot of things he gets blamed for are really out of his control. I think his major suspensions (the Artest brawl, Arenas today) have been fair.
The NBA has flourished economically under his watch and outside of the lockout in 1999 things have gone very smoothly for the most part, something he really doesn't get credit for.

midwestmadman
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM

Correction jdizzle, Michael Jordan and other great players that have come into the league have made Stern able to make the league what it is today. The global appeal of NBA can be thanked on the images of the NBA stars not David Stern.

enderandrew
I don't think he was very fair with Artest.

A fan instigated with Artest by hitting him with a cup filled with ice. Artest went into the stands. Fans were taking swings at him. Artest was wrong to go into the stands, but consider this.

Stephen Jackson ran into the stands for no good reason. He didn't get hit by the cup. Jackson was taking swings at fans without any provocation.

So why did Artest get 86 games, and Jackson get 30 games? Either they both get the same sentence, or Jackson should have got a worse sentence.

ChiBulls91
No way. You may hate Stern for his personality and stances on certain issues but as a business man he has done an infinite amount of good for this league. Without him (and several marquee players) this league would have floundered away to less than the wnba.

midwestmadman
01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
and to answer the Q, yes David Stern needs to be replaced now, he has out aged the league. The progression in talent has gotten much better but the league's hip hop culture should be in the hands of a younger person with the capabilities to use it the right way. A 60 year old Jewish guy who has been rich his whole life simply doesn't relate to the culture of todays talent. The NBA needs a businessman that can both connect to the players and to the corporate sponsors that make the league what it is.

philab
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Stern is a shrewd mother. That's what you want out of a commissioner.

The suspensions have all been spot-on. I can't think of a single one that bothers me except maybe the Carmelo punch.

The dress code was a great idea. Of course its purpose was primarily to lessen the "gangsta" image of the NBA and appeal more to whites, but I don't give a **** about that. To me, it was just a great idea to have players make an entrance all decked out. It makes games seem like an EVENT, like a boxing match or an awards show.

The '99 lockout doesn't bother me too much. No championship seasons were lost, the league came out on top, and it actually sort of softened the post-Jordan blow. That lockout looks like nothing sandwiched between the MLB strike and NHL lockout.

Stern's one blemish so far is the Donaghy scandal and the referees in general. Basketball is easily the most difficult sport to officiate. There's' always going to be complaining, and fans will always think the refs suck. Still, the NBA needs more consistency in calls and higher standards for refs. And you can't, just can't, let a guy get caught fixing/influencing games. Maybe Stern had no knowledge before it came out, but some heads definitely needed to roll there at some point.

Punkindrublic03
01-27-2010, 06:12 PM

no no no

Correction jdizzle, Michael Jordan and other great players that have come into the league have made Stern able to make the league what it is today. The global appeal of NBA can be thanked on the images of the NBA stars not David Stern.

yes yes yes

Jordan, Kobe, Lebron... mega stars.

PS - David Stern should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?

David Stern is a facist who crucifies anyone who challenges his ideas publicly or does not meet his standard of behavior on and off the court. I hate him.

I hate him even more because he helped Clay Bennett move the Sonics out of Seattle. DIE STERN DIE

philab
01-27-2010, 06:15 PM
I don't think he was very fair with Artest.

A fan instigated with Artest by hitting him with a cup filled with ice. Artest went into the stands. Fans were taking swings at him. Artest was wrong to go into the stands, but consider this.

Stephen Jackson ran into the stands for no good reason. He didn't get hit by the cup. Jackson was taking swings at fans without any provocation.

So why did Artest get 86 games, and Jackson get 30 games? Either they both get the same sentence, or Jackson should have got a worse sentence.

Yeah, I can't really argue with Artest getting the rest of the season. And the 30/35 games for Jackson/O'Neal doesn't bother me much either. The discrepancy does bother me, though.

Like you said, Stephen Jackson just starts hitting random dudes. At least Artest was going after who he thought hit him. Whatever was going through Jackson's mind when he went up there, it surely wasn't logical. I'm a huge S-Jax fan -- partially because of this -- but that was just ****ing stupid. He and Artest were at least on par.

Artest got a worse suspension because of his troubles before that and because he was the first to go into the stands. The punch at the short, fat "Turtle from Entourage" dude didn't help either. The cameras were right there and things had cooled some until that.

But yeah, Jackson probably should have gotten worse.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
stern also rigs the league to just make more of a profit. I understand they want to make money, but I'm sure the NBA makes enough without rigging it and showing favoritism.

Go_NUGGETS
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM

I never liked him, I felt that he never or almost never takes the right stance and when he does take a stance on something its either way to harsh or way to light.

I think the NBA can become as big if not bigger than the NFL globally and in the US (I am a huge NFL and a moderate NBA fan an that won't change). The right commissioner elevates his product like Taglibue did with the NFL. The right commissioner take a hard stance when he needs to and is always trying to market the league to all people not just select people.

Wait..."bigger than the NFL globally"?

From what I know, people I know in other countries know more about nba basketball then they do nfl football...Are they wrong for acknowleding that??

pippsux
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes. Stern has done a great job, but it's time for a fresh mind. NBA today is a little stale and needs to be relevant again.

Ray_R
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Yea they can use one but i wont be heart broken if he stays. A change would be nice. Im honestly 50/50

philab
01-27-2010, 06:27 PM
stern also rigs the league to just make more of a profit. I understand they want to make money, but I'm sure the NBA makes enough without rigging it and showing favoritism.

Yep, that's why LeBron is in Cleveland, Carmelo's in Denver, Duncan's in SA, Durant's in OKC, Paul's in NO, Howard's in Orlando, Oden's in Portland, the Knicks suck, the Clippers suck, the Spurs won 4 championships in a decade . . .

Seriously, the Knicks have won two championships. And ZERO SINCE 1973.

The whole "NBA is rigged" thing is so, so ****ing stupid. Please, think before you make such stupid posts.

magichatnumber9
01-27-2010, 06:30 PM

I agree to some extent. But in all seriousness Michael Jordan made the NBA what it is today.

smith&wesson
01-27-2010, 06:32 PM
football is only bigger then basketball in the states. on an international level basket ball is a bigger sport. i dont see foot ball in the olympics or fiba.

smith&wesson
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Yep, that's why LeBron is in Cleveland, Carmelo's in Denver, Duncan's in SA, Durant's in OKC, Paul's in NO, Howard's in Orlando, Oden's in Portland, the Knicks suck, the Clippers suck, the Spurs won 4 championships in a decade . . .

The whole "NBA is rigged" thing is so, so ****ing stupid. Please, think before you make such stupid posts.

TRUE, if the nba was rigged the knicks would have had much more success.

spreadeagle
01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Nope.Always liked Stern.The game is in a good place.If it aint broke dont fix it

PlezPlayDKnicks
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Stern is stale.. He has done an adequate job but you can tell he def is on the owners side more than the players.

spreadeagle
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I live in Cananda.Gary Bettman has destroyed hockey by expanding and taking the game off espn and nbc.A bad commish can ruin the game.Leave Stern in

tymyshwo
01-27-2010, 06:52 PM

cough Tim Donaghy Cough Cough 2002 Western Conference Finals Cough Cough

Seriously if the **** was rigged, it's not like Stern could do something drastic, where everyone would notice.The game would just be more biased/subtle moves towards a certain team. Plus by putting superstars in small markets expands the NBA market much more to a wider audience. Just being devils advocate.

RadiantShot
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
David Stern has made the NBA a disgrace.

abe_froman
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
i'm good either way,dont always like what he does but as been overall pretty damn good

heatking
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
The NBA has grown significantly. It is doing very well under Stern for the most part.

My beef with the NBA right now is the refs. I have little faith that the games are officiated fairly. If Stern doesn't fix that situation, it could blow up and ruin everything he has done up to this point.

this is the exact reason i want him gone. all this star treatment bs ir ruining the league.

CityofTreez
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes, David Stern hates the Kings and we hate Him

edit: david Stern hates the Kings, but he likes his fellow Jew, Omri Casspi!

Byronicle
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
just be glad he is not like the MLB commissioner lol

MassoDio
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I think David Stern has done a phenominal job for most of his tenure as commisioner.
I also think David Stern has lost touch with what is best for the league. At this point, Stern should probably be replaced with someone who has a better understanding of today's players and culture.

philab
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
cough Tim Donaghy Cough Cough 2002 Western Conference Finals Cough Cough

Seriously if the **** was rigged, it's not like Stern could do something drastic, where everyone would notice.The game would just be more biased/subtle moves towards a certain team. Plus by putting superstars in small markets expands the NBA market much more to a wider audience. Just being devils advocate.

I really doubt the league was behind the Donaghy scandal. They might have found out about it way before anyone else, but it's just too stupid to try and fix games. The risk of being caught just isn't anywhere close to the reward of a better matchup here and there.

And anyway, what's easier to fix -- a playoff series with 24 players, three refs, and millions watching over seven games; or a lottery in which the drawing is never seen?

If the NBA was rigged, the Knicks would either be good, have a superstar, or both. Stern wouldn't let a franchise in the biggest market flounder for over a decade if he were fixing games and drafts in other places.

path2zion
01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
nba is by far the best run league out of the major 3. stern for life! : )

TheWatcher34
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Isn't Stern working on a concept to expand the NBA so that the league would have teams from Europe?? That would be cool.

TheWatcher34
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
there's no reason to hate on Stern...back then as he introduced the dress code..that was a correct move, among others.

HoopsDrive
01-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Globally, the NBA is already the US' biggest major pro sports market. It doesn't even come close.

ManRam
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree with all the Stern supporters. Without a doubt he's done a great job for the sport as a whole. He shouldn't be forced out, and hopefully he doesn't want out, any time soon.

td0tsfinest
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I love David Stern.

He's my favourite GM out of the Big 4 N. American Sports (Selig and Bettman are the worst..ever)

But Stern has done so much of this , especially from the international aspect. More and more NBA games are being showed around the world. I could honestly say after Soccer, Basketball might be played in the most countries.

td0tsfinest
01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with all the Stern supporters. Without a doubt he's done a great job for the sport as a whole. He shouldn't be forced out, and hopefully he doesn't want out, any time soon.

ye if that happens, they'll bring in a new guy. But after 7 months, they'll realize the new guy isn't as good as the old guy. So, they'll bring back they'll old guy and fire the new guy, even though he's moved his entire staff from New York to Los Angeles.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Stern needs to have superstars in those cities to keep the money rolling in. He can have garbage in NYC, LA, CHI, etc. and still be able to roll in the dough and sell out those stadiums, these smaller markets, not so much.

It wouldn't make sense for stern to have 5 cities that profit big time, while about 15 of them can't fill half their seats.

Also, its hard to rig the Knicks to win the draft when they trade away their 1st rounders year after year. Big markets will always be big markets, stars or no star. He has to keep people coming to the smaller cities like POR, NO, DEN, OKC, SA.

In now way was I inferring that the NBA lottery is rigged. More so it is rigged by showing favortism to the stars of the game, showing favortism of calling fouls against teams, etc. It is different now after the Doneghy scandal, but you can't discount a lot of the stuff Tim said, because if you go back and look at what he is talking about, he is 100% accurate.

Think before you insult someone and act like your a genius yourself.

central2003
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
No its time for a new commissioner I cant stand stern esp after the 2002 playoffs Kings vs lakers.. he never investigated the accusations brought by other officials and people who were there why because he was person behind the scenes making sure that Lakers get their 3rd title on a row and god forbid if a smaller market and better team than the lakers won it which at that time was the Kings .

Baller1
01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
**** Stern.

I vote yes.

ldc62
01-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Ill give Stern credit that he wants to make the league grow. Popularity is at an all time high world-wide, so thats obviously not a bad thing. Of course he has also ****ed up a lot of times too (Ewing Draft Conspiracy, Crappy NBA lottery back in the day, Refs cheating). This guy is a marketing genius and thats not surprising given his roots (I don't wanna get flagged, figure out what this means yourself).

posterized
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
The league could have a worse GM. If the nba had the commissioner the nhl has right now i would def say yeah. im also 50/50 on this one

td0tsfinest
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
The league could have a worse GM. If the nba had the commissioner the nhl has right now i would def say yeah. im also 50/50 on this one

David Stern is not a bad GM. He's done a great job for the nba. Since being the commish in '84, the popularity of the nba and superstars are at an entire new level. And the sports is continuing to grow.