PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rookie Challenge Starters Announced

asandhu23
01-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry, who scored a career-high 32 points last Friday against the New Jersey Nets, leads a list of 18 players selected for the 2010 Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam to be held on Friday, Feb. 12 in Dallas during NBA All-Star 2010.

The participants in the Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam were selected by the NBA’s assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot.

The seventh overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft, Curry currently ranks among rookie leaders in steals (1st at 1.86), 3-point field goal percentage (1st at .428), free throw percentage (2nd at .849), assists (3rd at 4.5) and scoring (4th at 14.5). He has tallied 25-plus points in four of Golden State’s last six games and tied a franchise record for most 3-pointers made in a game without a miss January 5 at Denver (6-of-6).

Sacramento guard Tyreke Evans and his teammate with the Kings, forward Omri Casspi, join Curry on the Rookie team, which also includes Chicago Bulls forward Taj Gibson, Detroit Pistons forward Jonas Jerebko, Milwaukee Bucks guard Brandon Jennings, Minnesota Timberwolves guard Jonny Flynn, Oklahoma City Thunder guard James Harden, and San Antonio forward/center DeJuan Blair.

The Sophomore team will feature Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose, Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley, Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Gordon, Minnesota Timberwolves forward/center Kevin Love, New Jersey Nets center Brook Lopez, New York Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari, Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook, and a pair of teammates from the Memphis Grizzlies – center Marc Gasol and guard O.J. Mayo.

The head coaches for the Rookie and Sophomore teams will be the lead assistants from the 2010 NBA All-Star Game coaching staffs, which will be determined by the best record in each conference through games played Jan. 31.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/curry_named_to_rookie_challenge.html

:clap: Well Done, Curry. I really think this rookie team can beat the Sophs.

The Sophomores own the Rookie Challenge. Seven consecutive wins and an 8-2 overall records suggests that one year of NBA seasoning makes plenty of a difference when the league's brightest youngsters clash each All-Star weekend.

This rookie class, though, isn't about to accept the status quo. They didn't accept all the talk that they would make up one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. And they're not going to accept defeat before the ball is tossed for the opening tip Feb. 12 at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

"I know the Sophomores have a strong roster," Warriors rookie guard Stephen Curry said, "but my teammates and I will work hard to put on a great show for the fans and hopefully come away with a win."

Curry is one of the nine first-year standouts selected to Rookie Team roster, which was announced Wednesday. Bulls point guard Derrick Rose, the reigning Rookie of the Year, heads up the competing nine on the Sophomore Team squad.

The rest of the Sophomores: Heat forward Michael Beasley, Clippers guard Eric Gordon, Timberwolves forward/center Kevin Love, Nets center Brook Lopez, Knicks forward Danilo Gallinari, Thunder guard Russell Westbrook, and two Grizzlies: center Marc Gasol and guard O.J. Mayo.

Rounding out the Rookie roster: Kings guard Tyreke Evans and forward Omar Casspi, Bulls forward Taj Gibson, Pistons forward Jonas Jerebko, Bucks guard Brandon Jennings, Timberwolves guard Jonny Flynn, Thunder guard James Harden and Spurs forward/center DeJuan Blair.

The 18 players were selected though voting by the NBA's assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot. The two teams will be coached by the lead assistant of the All-Star Game coaching staffs. The team with the best record in each conference as of Jan. 31 gets that honor, though Phil Jackson (Lakers) and Mike Brown (Cavaliers) aren't eligible after coaching last year.

Last season, the assistant coaches for the teams were actual All-Stars themselves. Orlando's Dwight Howard was the assistant for the Sophomore Team while Miami's Dwyane Wade was the assistant for the Rookie Team.

Curry likes the Rookies' chances despite a roster that's void of the top two picks -- injured Clippers forward Blake Griffin and Grizzlies center Hasheem Thabeet -- and five of the top 10. The first-year squad isn't hurting for star power with scoring whiz-kids Evans and Jennings. Blair and Jerebko -- a pair of second-rounders -- also made it, further illustrating the depth of last June's haul.

"It's really a great honor to be selected to play in the Rookie Challenge, especially when the rosters were selected by the assistant coaches around the league," Curry said. "I'm looking forward to representing the Warriors and having the opportunity to play with some of the talented rookies in the NBA."

Halftime of the Rookie Challenge also features the inaugural NBA All-Star Slam Dunk-In between Gordon and Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan. The winner of the single-round slam competition advances to the Slam Dunk the following night.

NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/2010/allstar/2010/01/27/rookie.challenge.analysis/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)

td0tsfinest
01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
kinda of a bias here.

For a second I thought Curry was the only player named so far. Title should be changed to "Rookie Sophmore Rosters announced" or something.

But sophmores will win.

Gators123
01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Jonas Jerebko :clap:

jimbobjarree
01-27-2010, 12:20 PM
boooo we want Wes!

and theres no way the rooks win, they dont even have a center, Brook will rape them, not to mention Mayo and Rose in the backcourt

ripjhb18
01-27-2010, 12:30 PM
boooo we want Wes!

and theres no way the rooks win, they dont even have a center, Brook will rape them, not to mention Mayo and Rose in the backcourt

Tyreke>Rose

king4day
01-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Sophmores are gonna win. Gonna be fun though.

king4day
01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
this was the last chance for the lopez brothers to team together. That woulda been sick.

deuces
01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
no demar :(

FlakeyFool
01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
derozan should of got on this team.

sophs will crush the rooks

Cool007
01-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Tyreke>Rose

Yeah, you keep telling that to yourself.

Tmac,lt,berkman
01-27-2010, 12:44 PM
demar derozan and chase budinger should have been on the rookie team

bbcmillionaire
01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
derozan will make them realize he's overall "goodness" in the dunk contest

Ragun
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
too bad derozan is the number 5 option in the raptors line up. he would of put on a show with his dunks.

The[chi][town]
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Tyreke>Rose

you may have had a case for that at the beginning of the year(when he was hurt), but rose will torch him, hes been playing like a beast since the end of november

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
boooo we want Wes!

I thought Wesley and Ty Lawson would be in it for sure.

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Why isn't DeMar DeRozan on the roster?

He has been decent so far into the season. I find it amazing how he has been putting up decent statistics as the fifth option for his team. He could have made it over Jonas Jerebko and Taj Gibson.

The NBA is basically slapping DeMar DeRozan in the face! They're inviting him to perform in the dunk off, however they're not allowing him to participate in the game.

Bob_at_york
01-27-2010, 01:07 PM

He has been decent so far into the season. I find it amazing how he has been putting up decent statistics as the fifth option for his team. He could have made it over Jonas Jerebko and Taj Gibson..
Are you kidding me? The rookie team has no size! You honestly want DeMar replacing one of those guys and being forced to cover Gasol or Lopez inside? I am not sure about you but I am a fan of DeMar and don't want to see him getting hurt by playing out of position in a meaningless game.

The NBA is basically slapping DeMar DeRozan in the face! They're inviting him to perform in the dunk off, however they're not allowing him to participate in the game.
The NBA doesn't decide who is on the team, the coaches do. So he should be happy he is in the dunk-in.

pebloemer
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Are you kidding me? The rookie team has no size! You honestly want DeMar replacing one of those guys and being forced to cover Gasol or Lopez inside? I am not sure about you but I am a fan of DeMar and don't want to see him getting hurt by playing out of position in a meaningless game.

The NBA doesn't decide who is on the team, the coaches do. So he should be happy he is in the dunk-in.

Beat me to the response on that one.

DeRozan would be fun to watch in the rookie/soph game but with only 9 roster spots per team and the best rookies also being guards, he had quite the competition. No chance they take Taj, Jerebko or Blair out. They need the size.

Stunner
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Beat me to the response on that one.

DeRozan would be fun to watch in the rookie/soph game but with only 9 roster spots per team and the best rookies also being guards, he had quite the competition. No chance they take Taj, Jerebko or Blair out. They need the size.

Plus Taj and Blair are playing better than Demar dont know much about Jerebko but he played good against the Bulls he had a double-double. More Ty Lawson than Demar should be in the Rookie game. But the Rookies do need size since the 7 foot rookie hasnt shown up this season.

Giaps
01-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I think the sophomores will dominate.

xbrackattackx
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Sophomores hand's down.

Raph12
01-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and Brook Lopez?... can you say "blowout"

madiaz3
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Too many of the Sophs are #1 and #2 options on their teams, they are going to crush.

pebloemer
01-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, Michael Beasley, Kevin Love and Brook Lopez?... can you say "blowout"

It's that front court I'd be worried about most.

Sophs have quite the balanced attack.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
the rookies better not miss haha. They will be lucky to get more than a couple rebounds since Blair is the only man being sent

GodsSon
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
DeMar >> Harden...Sophomore team is going to demolish the rooks

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2010, 02:43 PM
This Rookie sucks no size up front at all they will be crushed if the sophomores give it 100%.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2010, 02:47 PM
DeMar >> Harden...Sophomore team is going to demolish the rooks

Harden is better right now, no question

LanceUpperCut
01-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Plus Taj and Blair are playing better than Demar dont know much about Jerebko but he played good against the Bulls he had a double-double. More Ty Lawson than Demar should be in the Rookie game. But the Rookies do need size since the 7 foot rookie hasnt shown up this season.

Well thats a matter of opinion if it was'nt for the lack of front court rookies these guys would never make it with Jerebko. Either way I don't think Derozan should make it this year, there might be a case for him over Harden. But at the same time I would'nt trade Derozan for anyone other than Evans and maybe Curry.

Bob_at_york
01-27-2010, 02:51 PM

No question? I disagree with you there. I think it can be debated. Harden's FG% is not pretty.

GodsSon
01-27-2010, 02:53 PM

That's debatable, he shoots at a lower FG% (39 compared to 46) in more minutes and averages slightly better rebounding numbers and just under 2 more points a game, all while DeMar is the 5th option in the starting rotation for the Raps

Sadds The Gr8
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
tyreke>rose

agreed

DaBUU
01-27-2010, 03:06 PM
agreed

Hate and jealousy seep through this post

Hawkeye15
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
That's debatable, he shoots at a lower FG% (39 compared to 46) in more minutes and averages slightly better rebounding numbers and just under 2 more points a game, all while DeMar is the 5th option in the starting rotation for the Raps

actually, Harden's true shooting % is slightly higher. He averages more points, rebounds, and assists per 40 minutes, and his distribution skills are substantially better than DeRozan's right now. Harden's PER is 2 pts higher as well.
There simple rating on 82games shows Harden +2.1, DeRozan -4.3. DeRozan has a 17% win share, Harden 67%.
Simply put, Harden is playing better. And Harden is the 4-5th option as well, behind Durant, Green, Westbrook, and occasionally Kristic.

Just saying dudes, no need to get upset about it. But I don't think there is an argument currently. DeRozan has more potential, but he isn't as good currently

b_rad23
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
sophomores will absolutely rape.

jennings, curry, evans is nice

but rose mayo gordon is nicer

not to mention the extreme discrepency in the frontcourt, with the worst sophomore big being miles better than the best rookie big.

MiamiHeat
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
no demar :(

he sucks

wadecounty305
01-27-2010, 03:53 PM
beasley will dominate this game and be the mvp

bowieinspace
01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
rose and beasley will dominate this game and be the mvps

haha

sf-fanatic
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Tyreke>Rose

Curry > Rose too!

theuuord
01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Too bad Griffin can't compete. Sophs will dominate the boards, the interior, and the game.

Slightly off-topic: This 2008 draft has the potential to be one of the best starting 5's from any draft in a long time. Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Love, Lopez. That's crazy. Only 2003 is better in recent memory. Speaking of which, let's go back to 2003. Hinrich, Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Kaman??? With Carmelo off the bench? Good Lord.

49ERS LEGACY530
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Yeah, you keep telling that to yourself.

he doesnt have to, ill say it for him!!! tyreke>rose

but we will see, rose is a great player to

MU and UW Fan
01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Wesley Matthews should be on the rookie team. Representing MU. just cuz he wasn't drafted or doesn't get all the attention some of these rookies get is BS.

Bob_at_york
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Wesley Matthews should be on the rookie team. Representing MU. just cuz he wasn't drafted or doesn't get all the attention some of these rookies get is BS.

He definitely is a good candidate but much like DeMar, he had to be left off because they needed more size.

theLgndKllr35
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Would have liked to see Speights, but that Soph team is stacked.

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM

He has been decent so far into the season. I find it amazing how he has been putting up decent statistics as the fifth option for his team. He could have made it over Jonas Jerebko and Taj Gibson.

I would be surprised if there was one honest reason as to why Demar Derozan deserves it over Taj Gibon.

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Curry > Rose too!
:facepalm: x billion

Kyle N.
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Too bad Griffin can't compete. Sophs will dominate the boards, the interior, and the game.

Slightly off-topic: This 2008 draft has the potential to be one of the best starting 5's from any draft in a long time. Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Love, Lopez. That's crazy. Only 2003 is better in recent memory. Speaking of which, let's go back to 2003. Hinrich, Wade, LeBron, Bosh, Kaman??? With Carmelo off the bench? Good Lord.

That hurts my brain to think about. But yeah, you look at the rosters and would say the Sophomores should dominate, but we'll see what happens. It should be fun.

Ovratd1up
01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
The only reason Brook Lopez won't get 40/20 is because Gasol, Beasely, and Love are also there. They all could easily post 20/15. But then you get to the backcourt, with Rose and Mayo and Gordon and Westbrook on the the bench?

GodsSon
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
he sucks

name a miami rookie that's better...ya, i thought so

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I would be surprised if there was one honest reason as to why Demar Derozan deserves it over Taj Gibon.

Because then Omri Casspi, who plays SG and SF, would then be their tallest player.

MiamiHeat
01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
name a miami rookie that's better...ya, i thought so

:facepalm:
we don't have any rookies playing for us

idiot.

Jonathan2323
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM

idiot.

:laugh:

DLeeicious
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM

idiot.

One could argue that your lack of rookies could be more productive than a rookie who does more harm than good. Hmmmm...just kidding Toronto fans.

MYBULLS
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't want Rose playing in this scrub game. I hope he turns it down to be honest. He deserves to be playing with the big boys.

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I would be surprised if there was one honest reason as to why DeMar DeRozan deserves it over Taj Gibson.

DeMar DeRozan: 45 Games, 21.0 MPG 8.2 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.8 TO, 46% FG, 73% FT.

Taj Gibson: 43 Games, 24.5 MPG, 8.5 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 0.6 APG, 1.3 TO, 49% FG, 63% FT.

Both players are pretty even. Taj Gibson has the upper hand because he is a more efficient player. In my opinion, Taj Gibson is more efficient because he somehow receives more touches.

It is highly debateable on who should be selected over who. However, the coaches chose Taj Gibson so they could have some size down low. They didn't select him because he was the better player. I'm pretty sure the majority of people would take DeMar DeRozan over Taj Gibson.

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Because then Omri Casspi, who plays SG and SF, would then be their tallest player.

Thank you.

kgbaseball
01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Sophomores are better at just about every position - they'll win big.

Dee_Edge
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
That's a lot of PGs....and what about Chase Budinger!

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 06:01 PM

We don't have any rookies playing for us.

Idiot.

That's the point.

Miami doesn't have any players in their rookie season. Which means you should stop saying DeMar DeRozan sucks because he is better than Daequan Cook and James Jones combined!

Ovratd1up
01-27-2010, 06:10 PM
DeMar DeRozan: 45 Games, 21.0 MPG 8.2 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.8 TO, 46% FG, [B]73% FT.

Taj Gibson: 43 Games, 24.5 MPG, 8.5 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 0.6 APG, 1.3 TO, 49% FG, 63% FT.

Both players are pretty even. Taj Gibson has the upper hand because he is a more efficient player. In my opinion, Taj Gibson is more efficient because he somehow receives more touches.

It is highly debateable on who should be selected over who. However, the coaches chose Taj Gibson so they could have some size down low. They didn't select him because he was the better player. I'm pretty sure the majority of people would take DeMar DeRozan over Taj Gibson.

With this, we see that it really is no debate. I'd bet Taj even averages more dunks than Demar.

arkanian215
01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
No question? I disagree with you there. I think it can be debated. Harden's FG% is not pretty.

In terms of all around ability i think harden is ahead. Heading into the draft he had the better overall game and even now he still does.

arkanian215
01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Thabeet vs Lopez would've been interesting.

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 06:20 PM
DeMar DeRozan: 45 Games, 21.0 MPG 8.2 PPG, 2.9 RPG, 0.7 APG, 0.8 TO, 46% FG, 73% FT.

Did you try to bold the most random ones you could?

effen5
01-27-2010, 06:26 PM

I loled, most random bolds ever.

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 06:39 PM

No.

You clearly need to get your eyes checked when comparing statistics. All in all, I'm actaully glad DeMar DeRozan wasn't selected to the game. It's because I realized this game is really meaningless.

momoneyyyy
01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
sophmores will win but. last year i think the rookies really had a chance..

Ray_R
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Curry <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Rose too!

FIXED:cool:

alencp3
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Sophmores will probably win cuz there is no big mans in rookies squad,but still i dont think it will be blowout cuz 'Reke is here to save the day :) .

NyCsPoRtS1
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
what about gallo?

runforrestrunx9
01-27-2010, 06:54 PM
rookie team is guna get killed...

NyCsPoRtS1
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM

idiot.

ya but beasley trash

JHOHL27
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
sophmores are going to dominate this game at least they should, and next year the rooks will win probably w/ griffin going to be part of the rooks next year

Gators123
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
ya but beasley trash

No, hes actually pretty good.

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
No.

You clearly need to get your eyes checked when comparing statistics. All in all, I'm actaully glad DeMar DeRozan wasn't selected to the game. It's because I realized this game is really meaningless.
Really? Then why are there other people agreeing with me that those were completely random?? How are minutes, turnovers, and free throw percentage the most important statistics?????? It's pretty clear you just bolded the ones that Derozan has better numbers

Jays Claw
01-27-2010, 07:00 PM
^ Only one person agreed with you. :facepalm:

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 07:04 PM
^ Only one person agreed with you. :facepalm:
I highly doubt anyone agrees with minutes, turnovers, and free throw perc. being the most important stats. :facepalm: :facepalm:

The[chi][town]
01-27-2010, 07:16 PM

taj gibson is a much more complete player thats why, averages 4 more rebounds and the same amount of points in 3 more mpg, plus gibson is a awesome defender for a rookie

sorry 3.5 more rpg and .3 more ppg :)

oh yeah if you really want to get deep into the stats Taj has 1 bpg to DeMars .4 bpg and taj also beats him in the FG%

effen5
01-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Fixed

JWO35
01-27-2010, 07:23 PM

I don't think so
The dude is doing worst than both of them...No disrespect but he's just Desmond Mason 2.0

The[chi][town]
01-27-2010, 07:27 PM
DeRozans FT% is 78% btw

effen5
01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
I hope Taj doesn't play though, hes had plantar facitis all year and I want him to rest.

The[chi][town]
01-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I hope Taj doesn't play though, hes had plantar facitis all year and I want him to rest.

i hear that man he needs the rest

Kakaroach
01-27-2010, 07:34 PM
I was disappointed Wesley Matthews didn't make it, also felt like Lawson was a snub.

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I was disappointed Wesley Matthews didn't make it, also felt like Lawson was a snub.

Too many good PG's in the draft. If Lawson wasn't backing up Chauncey Billups, he'd probably have a great chance at it.

nolin
01-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Taj has had by far a better season then DeMar. Taj is 10th in scoring for rookies ahead of DeMar. Taj is also 2 in rebs in blks also ahead of deMar. Sorry but theres no way DeMar should have got in over Taj

GodsSon
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM

idiot.

exactly my point...FOOL! :)

sf-fanatic
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM

lol...its not like either play are shooting a large number of free throws per game so that stat is really irrelevant. Turnovers, both are around 1 so its basically the same. Minutes are just a 3 min difference. I don't get the bolded parts...but all i know is Harden is playing a guard position and should average more than .1 assists per game than Gibson and Gibson is the better rebounder by far, but he plays a dif position

nolin
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM

if your going to put ft% you might as well put block shots. Man theres alot of toronto homers in here. Gibson is better in just about every category.

loufor2
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
the soph's are soooo much better, its laughable.

sf-fanatic
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
FIXED:cool:

Nope !!! CURRY has the better head to head numbers this year :D. haha, both are good and play the point differently, id be happy with either. rose should be in the all star game so curry can school the soph point guard lol. CURRY FOR ROY !

Vinny642
01-27-2010, 07:54 PM
No Collison or Thorton, w/e.

what54!?
01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
man the rookies have no big men at all. Sophmores keep the streak going

Vinny642
01-27-2010, 08:05 PM
man the rookies have no big men at all. Sophmores keep the streak going

Holla at ya boy Blake... ooo wait nevermind.

Hell no, a guard studded draft.

what54!?
01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Holla at ya boy Blake... ooo wait nevermind.

Hell no, a guard studded draft.If he's in it next year wouldn't he be with the rookie too?

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
It's a total ****ing farce that Lawson didn't make the cut. What a crock.

Missing from the Rookie Game: Ty Lawson
By Henry Abbott

I happened to be on the phone with David Thorpe when the rosters for All-Star weekend's Rookie Challenge were announced.

The sophomore team ... it's murderous. They're unimpeachable: Michael Beasley, Danilo Gallinari, Marc Gasol, Eric Gordon, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, O.J. Mayo, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook.

The rookies are going to lose. But who are they? In alphabetical order: DeJuan Blair, Omri Casspi, Stephen Curry, Tyreke Evans, Jonny Flynn, Taj Gibson, James Harden, Brandon Jennings and Jonas Jerebko.

Not present in the list of rookies is Nuggets guard Ty Lawson, who Thorpe ranks today as the fourth-best rookie in the NBA (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-100127) (Insider). Thorpe writes:

Tell me what he can't do. Finish around the rim? He's over 50 percent. Midrange jumpers? Again, over 50 percent (though he's not great from the right baseline). How about from 3-point distance? Check his numbers from the five main spots: He's over 50 percent from two spots, over 40 percent from two others, and about 35 percent from one wing, for a total of 42 percent overall. Does he take care of the ball? Yep -- almost three times as many assists as turnovers.

Lawson has been consistently excellent since Week 1, and looks to be a leading candidate for the NBA Sixth Man Award starting next season. Rarely can a player under 6-foot-3 (he's listed at 5-foot-11, actually) impact the game in as many ways as he can: scoring, pushing the pace, creating shots for teammates, shooting from outside, hounding ball handlers and leading a team.

In particular, he's terrific at using his body to put defenders in a position of weakness as he attacks the rim, a skill that is tough to master when the player usually finishes below the rim. Not that Lawson isn't athletic, because he is (check this out). Opposing defenses have to account for him in the game plan; how many bench players can you say that about?

"That's a big story right there," says Thorpe, hearing that Lawson is not among the nine. Thorpe suggests Jerebko may have gotten the nod in part because this nine-player roster already has five guards who like the ball a lot, and is in dire need of size. (Blake Griffin, where are you?)

"Just watch," adds Thorpe, "the way he's going, in the next few weeks, Lawson could go even higher in my list."

Jerebko has been a tremendous bundle of long energy for the Pistons, and has made a bit of a difference (http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2009-2010&id=819). But even by the measure of plus/minus, which would reward Jerebko's defense and hustle, (while punishing Lawson's lack of size, if indeed it hurts the team on defense) Lawson has been better (http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?year=2009-2010&id=816).

I also can't help but note that Flynn has put up some box-score stats, but by dribbling the ball almost all game long for one of the NBA's worst teams. If you were to switch their teams -- put Flynn on the solid Nuggets, and have Lawson play long minutes running the Timberwolves -- I can't help but think Lawson would be playing on All-Star Friday.

It seems a shame that the NBA would deny Lawson this honor simply because he was drafted far lower than he should have been, and fell to a team with a star point guard in Chauncey Billups, and an established rotation. This would seem to be a chance to correct that earlier error.

Because it's becoming increasingly clear that, despite his size (the only consistent knock against him), Lawson can play. He has proved it at every level. The good news for Lawson is that what he has lacked in adulation he makes up for in wins -- as an NCAA champion with North Carolina, and now as a key reserve for the second-best team in the West, riding a seven-game winning streak.

If you can't have the wins and the praise, take the wins.espn (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12631/missing-from-the-rookie-game-ty-lawson)

Vinny642
01-27-2010, 08:20 PM

espn (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12631/missing-from-the-rookie-game-ty-lawson)

Its happens but Ty Lawson is a stud

J$mo0th_3o5
01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Beasley 4 MVP!

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 08:24 PM

espn (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12631/missing-from-the-rookie-game-ty-lawson)

It was a guard heavy draft. If Lawson wasn't backing up Chauncey he probably would have made it.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
It was a guard heavy draft. If Lawson wasn't backing up Chauncey he probably would have made it.

Not good enough. I'm not buying it.

Rookies, randked by PER:

RNK Player GP Min TS% Ast TO Usg ORR DRR RebR PER VA EWA
1 Tyreke Evans, SAC 40 37.1 .535 18.0 10.6 25.2 2.8 11.8 7.3 18.49 166.0 5.5
2 Ty Lawson, DEN 40 22.3 .592 28.5 10.5 18.1 3.9 7.6 5.8 17.22 82.8 2.8
3 DeJuan Blair, SAS 43 18.3 .545 7.9 15.3 18.0 15.9 26.4 21.3 16.59 67.8 2.3
4 Brandon Jennings, MIL 43 34.3 .482 22.9 9.7 26.9 2.1 10.3 5.9 15.83 106.3 3.5
5 Hasheem Thabeet, MEM 39 11.0 .631 2.9 16.2 9.5 12.1 21.7 16.9 15.03 28.3 0.9
6 James Harden, OKC 44 23.1 .534 17.2 10.1 19.8 3.8 12.2 8.2 14.91 62.2 2.1
7 Tyler Hansbrough, IND 29 17.6 .448 8.6 6.5 22.8 12.6 16.7 14.6 14.83 25.4 0.8
8 Rodrigue Beaubois, DAL 27 11.0 .576 18.6 15.3 21.9 2.3 10.2 6.3 14.74 17.4 0.6
9 Marcus Thornton, NOR 38 19.1 .529 8.1 6.9 21.6 4.1 7.7 5.9 14.68 42.0 1.4
10 Omri Casspi, SAC 42 27.6 .562 9.9 10.5 18.1 3.8 16.3 10.0 14.53 69.6 2.3
11 Derrick Brown, CHA 34 11.9 .532 9.6 7.8 15.8 8.1 9.3 8.7 14.40 21.8 0.7
12 Chase Budinger, HOU 36 18.4 .527 12.3 6.8 19.4 2.8 14.4 8.4 14.11 35.7 1.2
13 Toney Douglas, NYK 28 13.3 .582 12.0 12.0 20.5 3.6 6.2 4.9 14.10 18.3 0.6
14 Stephen Curry, GSW 43 34.1 .557 23.1 13.0 18.1 1.4 11.9 6.6 13.87 62.7 2.1
15 A.J. Price, IND 26 14.7 .528 18.2 11.5 22.2 2.5 8.9 5.7 13.77 16.9 0.6
16 Darren Collison, NOR 38 16.3 .488 26.1 13.1 22.6 2.2 10.4 6.2 13.61 24.1 0.8
17 Eric Maynor, OKC 43 14.7 .476 32.3 10.8 17.6 2.9 9.2 6.1 13.60 24.6 0.8
18 Taj Gibson, CHI 43 24.5 .515 6.2 12.6 15.9 11.8 16.5 14.2 13.59 43.8 1.5
19 Sam Young, MEM 43 16.3 .531 6.3 13.1 20.7 6.7 10.2 8.5 13.55 31.8 1.1
20 Jonny Flynn, MIN 46 29.8 .511 19.8 13.8 23.6 1.1 8.1 4.5 13.42 49.6 1.7

And by Estimated Wins Added:

2 Brandon Jennings, MIL 43 34.3 .482 22.9 9.7 26.9 2.1 10.3 5.9 15.83 106.3 3.5
3 Ty Lawson, DEN 40 22.3 .592 28.5 10.5 18.1 3.9 7.6 5.8 17.22 82.8 2.8
4 Omri Casspi, SAC 42 27.6 .562 9.9 10.5 18.1 3.8 16.3 10.0 14.53 69.6 2.3
5 DeJuan Blair, SAS 43 18.3 .545 7.9 15.3 18.0 15.9 26.4 21.3 16.59 67.8 2.3
6 Stephen Curry, GSW 43 34.1 .557 23.1 13.0 18.1 1.4 11.9 6.6 13.87 62.7 2.1
7 James Harden, OKC 44 23.1 .534 17.2 10.1 19.8 3.8 12.2 8.2 14.91 62.2 2.1
8 Jonny Flynn, MIN 46 29.8 .511 19.8 13.8 23.6 1.1 8.1 4.5 13.42 49.6 1.7
9 Taj Gibson, CHI 43 24.5 .515 6.2 12.6 15.9 11.8 16.5 14.2 13.59 43.8 1.5
10 Marcus Thornton, NOR 38 19.1 .529 8.1 6.9 21.6 4.1 7.7 5.9 14.68 42.0 1.4
11 Chase Budinger, HOU 36 18.4 .527 12.3 6.8 19.4 2.8 14.4 8.4 14.11 35.7 1.2
12 Sam Young, MEM 43 16.3 .531 6.3 13.1 20.7 6.7 10.2 8.5 13.55 31.8 1.1
13 Hasheem Thabeet, MEM 39 11.0 .631 2.9 16.2 9.5 12.1 21.7 16.9 15.03 28.3 0.9
14 DeMar DeRozan, TOR 45 21.0 .532 7.3 9.0 16.6 4.9 11.1 8.1 12.31 25.5 0.8
15 Tyler Hansbrough, IND 29 17.6 .448 8.6 6.5 22.8 12.6 16.7 14.6 14.83 25.4 0.8
16 Eric Maynor, OKC 43 14.7 .476 32.3 10.8 17.6 2.9 9.2 6.1 13.60 24.6 0.8
17 Darren Collison, NOR 38 16.3 .488 26.1 13.1 22.6 2.2 10.4 6.2 13.61 24.1 0.8
18 Derrick Brown, CHA 34 11.9 .532 9.6 7.8 15.8 8.1 9.3 8.7 14.40 21.8 0.7
19 Toney Douglas, NYK 28 13.3 .582 12.0 12.0 20.5 3.6 6.2 4.9 14.10 18.3 0.6
20 Rodrigue Beaubois, DAL 27 11.0 .576 18.6 15.3 21.9 2.3 10.2 6.3 14.74 17.4 0.6

Lawson should definitely be in ahead of Flynn and Curry.

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Rookies, randked by PER:

8 Rodrigue Beaubois, DAL 27 11.0 .576 18.6 15.3 21.9 2.3 10.2 6.3 14.74 17.4 0.6

15 Tyler Hansbrough, IND 29 17.6 .448 8.6 6.5 22.8 12.6 16.7 14.6 14.83 25.4 0.8
20 Rodrigue Beaubois, DAL 27 11.0 .576 18.6 15.3 21.9 2.3 10.2 6.3 14.74 17.4 0.6

Like I said, if he got more minutes he'd probably be in.

td0tsfinest
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Are Blair and Gibson the only Big Men for the rookies?

Man they are going to get their *** wooped.

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Are Blair and Gibson the only Big Men for the rookies?

Man they are going to get their *** wooped.

Don't worry, Don Nelson has been quoted as saying Tyreke Evans would be the perfect PF in his system. The rookies will be fine. :hide:

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Like I said, if he got more minutes he'd probably be in.

So quality of play means nothing? It's better to be decent and play more minutes than to excel in fewer minutes - and not only excel but make a bigger impact in helping your team win, in spite of playing fewer minutes?

That's a whole lot of not making sense, if you ask me.

It's just the usual old NBA parlor tricks. Reward big names for the sake of having big names, and screw the more deserving for lacking the hype quota.

It's s sham.

Cubsfan365
01-27-2010, 09:15 PM
No.

So that's about four others that also think those bolded numbers were completely random. Looks like I'm not in the wrong. :rolleyes:

kingkenny01
01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
BJ Young Money going for 65 points

goose15
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Danilo for M.V.P.

Hawkeye15
01-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Rookies, randked by PER:

now you understand why Wolves fans were super pissed last year. Sorry dude.

DerekRE_3
01-27-2010, 10:23 PM
So quality of play means nothing? It's better to be decent and play more minutes than to excel in fewer minutes - and not only excel but make a bigger impact in helping your team win, in spite of playing fewer minutes?

It's just the usual old NBA parlor tricks. Reward big names for the sake of having big names, and screw the more deserving for lacking the hype quota.

It's s sham.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying that's why he's not on the team.

Chronz
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM

It's s sham.
Im glad youve come to that realization, people really throw jabs at "BSPN" but really, nothing has been more disgraceful to the game of basketball than the NBA.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying that's why he's not on the team.

Well I guess you're saying "that's just the way it is", while I'm saying that the way it is is ****************************** up.

djeller1139
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Wait...where are the starters named it just has the roster from what I read :confused:

Fury
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM
sophmores are gonna kill it

xX_Wayne-87_Xx
01-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Roy Hibbert should be on the team for the Sophs!

xX_Wayne-87_Xx
01-28-2010, 12:23 AM
even tyler hansbrough should have made it just because the rooks have no size what so ever. For the record i dont think he deserves to make it because he is always hurt and doesnt get the minutes, but they need some size. Sophs gunna take it again!!!

SwaggaIke
01-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Sophs by 35.

ldc62
01-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Danilo for M.V.P.

How bout D'antoni for Coach of the year?

ldc62
01-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Don't know what all the fuss is about. Do players really care bout the rook-soph game? I think they do get paid though...

I don't think Demar shoulda made it instead of Jonas and Taj, and I like DD a lot. Alot of players don't make it the first year, but will make the team in the 2nd year because all the assistant coaches around the league has seen them play. Most coaches at this point haven't even seen all the rookies play yet...

theimortalone
01-28-2010, 02:36 AM
No Goran Dragic? :sigh:

alencp3
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
sophmores are going to dominate this game at least they should, and next year the rooks will win probably w/ griffin going to be part of the rooks next year

Griffin,Wall,Turner,Favors,Cousins,Johnson and the others damm that will be nice rookie class. They'll win for sure!

alencp3
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
No Goran Dragic? :sigh:

No because Rose took a **** on him :facepalm:

nitric
01-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Which Sophomore got snubbed? Maybe Rose will opt out since he's in the ASG

ChiSox219
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM

If you make the ASG you don't playing in the rook-soph game

Derozan should get the spot

nitric
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
If you make the ASG you don't playing in the rook-soph game

Derozan should get the spot

I don't think it's a rule. You can play both and Derozan is a rookie, a sophomore has to take Rose's spot IF he decides not to play

ChiSox219
01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't think it's a rule. You can play both and Derozan is a rookie, a sophomore has to take Rose's spot IF he decides not to play

Forget to differentiate sophomore-rookie, give it to George Hill or Bayless.

I don't see the point of Rose playing in the kids game, what's the point?

CityofTreez
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Co-MVP's: Omri Casspi & Tyreke Evans!

MiamiHeat
01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
ya but beasley trash

and Danilo Gallinari is better than Beasley?
:laugh2:

watch Beasley play before you make a stupid post.

MiamiHeat
01-28-2010, 05:29 PM
exactly my point...FOOL! :)

and what was your point? :eyebrow:

that Derozan sucks so bad that it is better to have no rookies on your team than Derozan?

Tony_Starks
01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Wow I keep forgetting this is only OJ Mayo second year! That guy is sick!

Also there's no way in hell Flynn should be there. He's probably the worst rookie pg out of the whole bunch. More turnovers than assist? Get outta here! Ty should have got that spot.

JWO35
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
MVP: Jonas Jerebko :D

topdog
01-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Wow I keep forgetting this is only OJ Mayo second year! That guy is sick!

Also there's no way in hell Flynn should be there. He's probably the worst rookie pg out of the whole bunch. More turnovers than assist? Get outta here! Ty should have got that spot.

Ree-duck-u-lous! Quack! jk Seriously though, Jonny Flynn shouldn't be there? He averages more assists and twice as many points as lawson, more steals, ect. Yeah he has more turnovers and gets more minutes but they're in polar opposite situations, not to mention that Flynn has to learn one of the most difficult offenses known to basketball and one known for minimizing the role of pgs.

IversonIsKrazy
01-28-2010, 06:20 PM
DeRozan and Budinger should be on the rookie team as well. Man, the soph's are stacked, Rose Mayo Gordon Lopez Beasley can all score 20+ any give night. This is going to be a 50-point blowout.

Slimsim
01-28-2010, 06:22 PM
DJ Agustin

CityofTreez
01-28-2010, 06:56 PM

The Jason Thompson in the 1st two months of the season. Can we have him back?

alencp3
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Co-MVP's: Omri Casspi & Tyreke Evans!

This

alencp3
01-29-2010, 04:17 PM
and Danilo Gallinari is better than Beasley?
:laugh2:

watch Beasley play before you make a stupid post.

Beasley is good but still for a 2nd pick he should be a lot better

DodgerBulls
01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
is rose still playing on this event?

Bulls_fan90
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
is rose still playing on this event?

The NBA rules force him to play in it.