PDA

View Full Version : Ex NBA player Paul Shirley's letter to Haitians in a time of grief!

fairandbalanced
01-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Dear Haitians -

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it's possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World

I had no idea that we had a ex Rush Limbaugh in the NBA. Just appalling.

LINK (http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/01/26/if-you-rebuild-it-they-will-come-by-paul-shirley/)

ManRam
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow. Disgusting. Absolutely terrible.

DerekRE_3
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
You have a link for this?

albertc86
01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Unbelievable. I'm like to see a reputable link, though.

ManRam
01-26-2010, 09:34 PM
You have a link for this?

Just google him. It's all over the internet.

http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/01/26/if-you-rebuild-it-they-will-come-by-paul-shirley/

It's already on his wikipedia page.

Lakersfan2483
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I have no respect for people like that, disgusting to hear.

theuuord
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
looks like a terrible basketball career spawns terribleness everywhere. congrats, paul shirley. no one knew who you were until today. now we just know you're a tool.

bears88
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Thats what I call ignorance cruel disrespectful greedy an idiot and discusting why would that fagg say anything like that Paul Shirly can kiss my *** its really sad discusting when someone talks about a poor country that just went through a major disaster that dude was a looser in the nba and still a looser now he should just shut up

bears88
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
He also says:

He begins the letter by stating that he has not donated to relief efforts in Haiti and "probably will not... for the same reason that I don't give money to homeless men on the street." Shirley proceeds to criticize the country and its citizens, before pausing to ask, "Shouldn't much of the responsibility for the disaster lie with the victims of that disaster

he dosent even help the Homeless this looser is an idiot

cameroncrazies2
01-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I love it. So true.

Raoul Duke
01-26-2010, 10:13 PM
This from a guy who got rich because HE WAS ABLE TO PUT A ****ING BALL IN A HOLE.

theuuord
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
This from a guy who got rich because HE WAS ABLE TO PUT A ****ING BALL IN A HOLE.

And he couldn't even really do that.

_KB24_
01-26-2010, 10:35 PM
White supremacist.

pd7631
01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
scumbag

Silent
01-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Meet the new kkk clanleader and rush is 2nd in command

Wisdom Listens
01-26-2010, 10:48 PM
He's a very ignorant individual. I feel sorry for him.

ShaunRiching9
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
What a piece of ****

cardinals1226
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
You guys can whine and cry how insenitive he is, but he's exactly right. The government Haiti has is one of the poorest and most undeveloped societies in the Western Hempishere. The government is essentially ran by a miltia who could give two **** what happens to the country or its people. The timing was terrible and probably should have kept it to himself, but he's right on. The country is a shithole.

Wisdom Listens
01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
The timing was terrible and probably should have kept it to himself

You said it yourself.

Bucsfan
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
i get why everybody is upset, completely understandable and he is a huge *******

but why is he a KKK member now? he just talks crap about the country, he doesnt say those "dang monkeys" or anything racist, i think he is a straight up *******, i didnt read any actual racist remark, unless i missed that part

Wisdom Listens
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
i get why everybody is upset, completely understandable and he is a huge *******

but why is he a KKK member now? he just talks crap about the country, he doesnt say those "dang monkeys" or anything racist, i think he is a straight up *******, i didnt read any actual racist remark, unless i missed that part

His comments can easily be construed as white supremacist (the belief that white people are superior to people of other racial backgrounds). Now whether that was his intention is certainly up for debate, but I can see why people would think that.

ajunco14
01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Couldve been more sensitive about the issue, but it is the poorest most illiterate country in the western hemisphere and was on the verge of anarchy a couple of years ago, but this could be a defining moment in haiti's history if they can join together and come out a better country because of all this.

loufor2
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
he probobally has a sad existence and isn't well liked. What a scumbag.

jetsfan28
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
LOL at all of the people completely overreacting to this. KKK member? What exactly did he say that's racist? Better yet, what did he say that's really factually incorrect?

His comments can easily be construed as white supremacist (the belief that white people are superior to people of other racial backgrounds). Now whether that was his intention is certainly up for debate, but I can see why people would think that.

What comments? Where does he say anything implying that? He says we don't support our own homeless. Maybe that makes him ethnocentric, but not a white supremacist.

ManRam
01-26-2010, 11:04 PM
You guys can whine and cry how insenitive he is, but he's exactly right. The government Haiti has is one of the poorest and most undeveloped societies in the Western Hempishere. The government is essentially ran by a miltia who could give two **** what happens to the country or its people. The timing was terrible and probably should have kept it to himself, but he's right on. The country is a shithole.

Okay. They are poor. We don't like their government. I will agree it is a terrible country (my 8th grade history teacher fled because of how terrible it is there). They have a ton of problems from poverty, to violence to lawlessness.

But that doesn't mean we should ignore them, say "**** you, you're inferior" and turn the cold shoulder. No matter how bad something is, you aren't a good human in my eyes if you have no sympathy for an entire country basically being wiped out or thrown into chaos. I never am quick to judge people, but if you seriously feel that way, than you don't have my respect.

Just because the government doesn't care about the people, doesn't mean we shouldn't.

bears88
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Okay. They are poor. We don't like their government. I will agree it is a terrible country (my 8th grade history teacher fled because of how terrible it is there). They have a ton of problems from poverty, to violence to lawlessness.

But that doesn't mean we should ignore them, say "**** you, you're inferior" and turn the cold shoulder. No matter how bad something is, you aren't a good human in my eyes if you have no sympathy for an entire country basically being wiped out or thrown into chaos. I never am quick to judge people, but if you seriously feel that way, than you don't have my respect.

Just because the government doesn't care about the people, doesn't mean we shouldn't.

I AGREE :clap: SO TRUE

ManRam
01-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I will say that I too hope they don't rebuild following the model of the current/past government. I also will say that making a concerted effort to vocalize your unwillingness to help out the hundreds of thousands of people who have nothing to do with politics or the problems of the country is cowardly.

_KB24_
01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I see their are Shirley's fellow KKK comrades not too far away.........

How the hell is that not racist and antagonizing. I wonder what he would have said if the Haitians were white and this happened......

jetsfan28
01-26-2010, 11:10 PM

That's your opinion. He disagrees. He correctly stated that we have plenty of people in our own country in terrible situations, and we don't do nearly enough to support them. Even if you disagree, it's at least a legitimate viewpoint.

bears88
01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
i also read on that letter that he does not even help the homeless and the needy in the own us a looser is always a looser

ManRam
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
That's your opinion. He disagrees. He correctly stated that we have plenty of people in our own country in terrible situations, and we don't do nearly enough to support them. Even if you disagree, it's at least a legitimate viewpoint.

Nothing in our country is nearly as dire as what's going on there. I'm not going to tell him he's wrong, and do understand it's a legitimate position, I just don't get how people can be so selfish frankly. That's what it is to me.

I'll bow out of this thread because when it ever becomes an opinion debate, it isn't a debate at all.

loufor2
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM

So that is the citizens of Haiti's fault....?

Were aiding them because of an earthquake, our goal is not to insult their country.
Let me hit you with some knowledge scrub.
f you ever picked up a history book, the U.S wouldn't be where it was today without the aid of foreign nations. Ex. Our war for independence from Britian, we were assisted by France. As the World Superpower (yes, this is an official title given by many economists) it is part of your responsibility to aid the rest of the world.

What if your hometown was completely destroyed, you wouldn't expect any aid?

Wisdom Listens
01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
What comments? Where does he say anything implying that? He says we don't support our own homeless. Maybe that makes him ethnocentric, but not a white supremacist.

Of course ethnocentrism is also a possibility. Notice I never said he was, but anything said in an ethnocentric light can always be confused for racial supremacy, and vice versa. It's a fine line.

TheWatcher34
01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
a letter as an attempt for encouraging folks in real misery. how about donating your pay check. Samuel Dalembert...................................

td0tsfinest
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Why do you say to losers like this?

loufor2
01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
a letter as an attempt for encouraging folks in real misery. how about donating your pay check. Samuel Dalembert...................................

He has visited several times, donated money, and set up a fund, and gone on nat. tv encouraging others to donate

halohomr
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
If you read the entire article it is not as cold. I agree with most of his points, the primary of which is we are giving money unconditionally. Where is the money going and what are they going to do with it? Is it going to be used to build retrofitted building or just the same collapsing crap that was there. I am sick of the "Hollywood " crowd coming to the aid of a cause so far away but ignoring those here. A radio host said the same thing and was roasted for it. Our public education system is an absolute mess. Too many students per teacher, which leads to overburdened teachers making little money. No money for supplies, parents saying they will sue over anything and on and on and on. The president said education was one of his number one priorities but it has gotten worse in the past year. I am not a teacher but I have kids and I see what is happening. Hey Hollywood, and anyone else who puts the needs of the Haitian people above the needs of ours, (they are in fact doing so by throwing millions there instead of helping those here) if you have money to throw at problems, throw it at our schools, or some other problem here. Unlike some people I don't sit and wait for the handout, I put my time and money where my mouth is. I'm sorry for the people of Haiti but I see problems in my own backyard that need my money and support, and improvements in those issues will serve me more in the future than the people of Haiti.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Im actually shocked that this dude could see well enough through his white hood to type that garbage. Anyone who has to draw attention to themselves in such a vile way and bask in the misery of others is obviously a very pathetic, sad individual.

Whats more shocking is the people that are actually defending this jerk. Actually it doesn't shock me, it's just plain sad. Because a country is both poor and poorly governed gives some idiot the right to mock the death of thousands of innocent people? WOW! I guess some people just don't have hearts.

magichatnumber9
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM
You know what I am so sick and ****ing tired of all these pieces of **** saying we have all these homeless people in are own country blah blah woof woof; and these same people don't give 2 ***** about the homeless and poor in our country. Yet these same scum bags leave there estates to these fraud churches all over America. Wow I love conservative hypocrisy in the United States. Go do gods real work, like help a soup kitchen or donate clothes. These same people who **** on the suffering after Katrina. I am appalled.

Double_R
01-28-2010, 04:37 PM
If you read the entire article it is not as cold. I agree with most of his points, the primary of which is we are giving money unconditionally. Where is the money going and what are they going to do with it? Is it going to be used to build retrofitted building or just the same collapsing crap that was there. I am sick of the "Hollywood " crowd coming to the aid of a cause so far away but ignoring those here. A radio host said the same thing and was roasted for it. Our public education system is an absolute mess. Too many students per teacher, which leads to overburdened teachers making little money. No money for supplies, parents saying they will sue over anything and on and on and on. The president said education was one of his number one priorities but it has gotten worse in the past year. I am not a teacher but I have kids and I see what is happening. Hey Hollywood, and anyone else who puts the needs of the Haitian people above the needs of ours, (they are in fact doing so by throwing millions there instead of helping those here) if you have money to throw at problems, throw it at our schools, or some other problem here. Unlike some people I don't sit and wait for the handout, I put my time and money where my mouth is. I'm sorry for the people of Haiti but I see problems in my own backyard that need my money and support, and improvements in those issues will serve me more in the future than the people of Haiti.

Touche

theuuord
01-28-2010, 04:40 PM

My father is a professor and I'm a product of this P.O.S. education system, so I know the ins and outs and the huge problems that face it. But right now they pale in comparison.

We still have kids graduating from college at a higher rate than ever. Kids there, on the other hand, are dying. Yeah, our public education system is a mess. At least we still have one.

They get priority, plain and simple.

godolphins
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
If he come to miami those zoe pound ***** will kill this piece of ****

Reyes6
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Paul's an idiot... but he does bring up a good point- We acted much faster for Haiti than Katrina on a governmental scale...BUT

it brings up a good debate- Where is the line drawn between taking care of our own country vs trying to save others?

I donated btw, because there are people who need help and I don't care if they live in a communist country or dictatorship, people should help people in a time of need.

Tony_Starks
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Paul's an idiot... but he does bring up a good point- We acted much faster for Haiti than Katrina on a governmental scale...BUT

it brings up a good debate- Where is the line drawn between taking care of our own country vs trying to save others?

I donated btw, because there are people who need help and I don't care if they live in a communist country or dictatorship, people should help people in a time of need.

IMO that "we're not taking care of our own" is a lame cop out. You can always say that because there will always be problems in our own back yard. But should that relieve one of the duty of helping your fellow man?

It's like if Im out of work and have 20 bucks in my pocket and a homeless guy ask for change am I supposed to say "sorry buddy, I have my own problems!" And then on top of that BLAME him for putting himself in that predicament? No way! I may be doing bad but he's doing worse so why should I begrudge him that?

central2003
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
He maybe right on certain areas but its one thing to be right about proving a point its another to be totally insensitive.. If you hate the government of a certain country do u blame the government or its people for making its policies .. what bugs me is his comments are directed to the poor people of haiti not so much its government ... Paul Shirley reminds me white supremacist .. Lynch Mob leader.. and someone who practices McCarthyism... Meaning YOU SIR ARE A TOTAL DOUCH BAG

arkanian215
01-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I had no idea that we had a ex Rush Limbaugh in the NBA. Just appalling.

LINK (http://www.flipcollective.com/2010/01/26/if-you-rebuild-it-they-will-come-by-paul-shirley/)

the one time i'm glad so many haitians are illiterate. they don't have to read that garbage.

thephoenixson28
01-28-2010, 05:32 PM
IMO that "we're not taking care of our own" is a lame cop out. You can always say that because there will always be problems in our own back yard. But should that relieve one of the duty of helping your fellow man?

It's like if Im out of work and have 20 bucks in my pocket and a homeless guy ask for change am I supposed to say "sorry buddy, I have my own problems!" And then on top of that BLAME him for putting himself in that predicament? No way! I may be doing bad but he's doing worse so why should I begrudge him that? I'm all for helping people of haiti,but homeless people not so much. Let me explain to you why. Unless you have a disability or a women and have children, then yeah I would help them out. But when you are a grown *** man you better work for something. There is latinos over here that wait everyday outside of home depot just to get work, they don't go asking for money.There is old ladys, and old men walking around trying to sell key chains, and other stuff that they hand made. There is this one time we gave this guy money little bit later we found him past out with a beer in his hand. I threw a rock and hit him in his nuts. Don't say I have no sympathy cuz me and my family were all homeless cuz my mom and dad were hooked on drugs.

ManRam
01-28-2010, 05:41 PM
I know a huge complaint was that people don't want the government getting the money. Less than one cent per every donated dollar will go to the government. If you don't want to donate even after hearing that then whatever. If you are going to go public about it, then screw you.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5g4nVPXpP6Na2cTMRPudR5MHxFS7w

MELO 15
01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
My parents are haitian, I was bourn and raised in new york, So thats makes me haitian american. just wanted to get that out the way.

Now to the matter at hand. Whatever happened to the old saying "If you have nothing good to say don't say it at all" Its crazy when you think about it, how people are comparing help with schools and the homeless, who by the way if you see the way they live compared to most of the people of haiti youd say wow, how could I even compare. Thats besides the point, people are dieing, and have died, and this guy is talking about poverty,houses and the way there constructed, Were talking about human life. Thats just like seeing a guy driving a new mercedes gets into an accident with a guy driving a piece of garbag, your concern is only for the guy driving the mercedes. Money and rich material should not even become a thought when it comes to human life.And Im gonna end by sayig, I hope no one who has a family ever has to exprience what the people of haiti are going through,

enderandrew
01-28-2010, 06:23 PM
White supremacist.

I don't think that is fair. He didn't say he hates people for the color of thier skin, nor suggest that whites are inherently better. He didn't say he donated money to whites who were homeless.

He assumes that if you're poor, it is your fault.

This isn't racisim. Its classism.

Fresno
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Im in the minority, I agree with most of what he said about the situation. The people of Haiti are in the predicament that they were in before the earthquake even happened due to decisions made by them, and the government officials they put in power since they overthrew Papa Doc's son.

I dont think that the money being donated will change the situation these people are in, but if you cant find room in your pocket to donate even $5 just to make sure that the doctors there are able to afford the antibiotics needed to help heal the people. However nothing will change in Haiti the money being donated will only help heal the people of their physical injuries due to the earthquake, but their violent/impoverished culture will continue on after people turn their heads from Haiti.

brandonwarne52
01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
I actually agree with most of what he said too. I also buy into reading comprehension, and the fact that "the wise man built his house upon the rock/the foolish man built his house upon the sand".

arkanian215
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Im in the minority, I agree with most of what he said about the situation. The people of Haiti are in the predicament that they were in before the earthquake even happened due to decisions made by them, and the government officials they put in power since they overthrew Papa Doc's son.

I dont think that the money being donated will change the situation these people are in, but if you cant find room in your pocket to donate even $5 just to make sure that the doctors there are able to afford the antibiotics needed to help heal the people. However nothing will change in Haiti the money being donated will only help heal the people of their physical injuries due to the earthquake, but their violent/impoverished culture will continue on after people turn their heads from Haiti.
I think you should read it again.

Dear Haitians -

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it's possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the WorldIs it really the Haitian people's fault that they live in shanty towns? Sure there is corruption in that country just like any other but are you going to blame the general population that? Most people just care about two things, getting by and helping their family get by, (if you want to add a third: enjoying life: sex drugs rock n roll.)

lol the condom remark seems like a typical classist/semi-racist snot. ever hear your folks say if that woman would've used a condom/had an abortion, she wouldn't be running around with those 3+ kids (she would have a career)? often those mothers of those 3+ kids are colored folk (especially on the subways/buses).

there may be some truth to all of this of course but it's a half truth. it's similar to what george bush said, "people are poor b/c they're lazy."

i don't blame shirley though. his life experiences have led him to perceive reality in this way. you probably have a similar environment.

vash9
01-28-2010, 11:30 PM
what. a. complete. total. azzzhole.

brandonwarne52
01-29-2010, 03:07 AM
I think you should read it again.
Is it really the Haitian people's fault that they live in shanty towns? Sure there is corruption in that country just like any other but are you going to blame the general population that? Most people just care about two things, getting by and helping their family get by, (if you want to add a third: enjoying life: sex drugs rock n roll.)

lol the condom remark seems like a typical classist/semi-racist snot. ever hear your folks say if that woman would've used a condom/had an abortion, she wouldn't be running around with those 3+ kids (she would have a career)? often those mothers of those 3+ kids are colored folk (especially on the subways/buses).

there may be some truth to all of this of course but it's a half truth. it's similar to what george bush said, "people are poor b/c they're lazy."

i don't blame shirley though. his life experiences have led him to perceive reality in this way. you probably have a similar environment.

You need to read the entire blog entry, not just the part that was posted in the opening post. Then you can start telling people what to read and what not to read.

ARMIN12NBA
01-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Wow. Disgusting. Absolutely terrible.

Reading that snippet made me sick. I can't believe that people can be this ignorant.

ARMIN12NBA
01-29-2010, 03:25 AM
I actually agree with most of what he said too. I also buy into reading comprehension, and the fact that "the wise man built his house upon the rock/the foolish man built his house upon the sand".

Many simply do not have the money and resources. If LA was hit with the same earthquake, the damage would be nowhere near as severe. Not even close especially since Northridge as the codes have gotten stricter and engineers have learned a lot more since then. Sadly, they do not have the same money and resources that many of us are lucky to have.

DisturbedFTW83
01-29-2010, 03:34 AM
paul shirley? is this guy of any importance?