PDA

View Full Version : Can you win a game like this??

shep33
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Okay so I was recently watching heat vs cavs, and I notice that there's 26 seconds to go and Miami has the ball. Cleveland elects not to foul, but Wade turns it over and LBJ gets fouled with 4 seconds left. Now If your Miami, couldn't you technically use 26 seconds? Once the clock gets to say 2-3 seconds, why don't teams just heave the ball up really high at the rim. Maybe you hit the rim, and the ball stay's in the air for 3 seconds. The shot clock doesn't stop the game clock does it?? Just finished watching that game, I don't know if Cleveland won it as much as Miami lost it with missing free throws and the horrendous pass by Wade. But either way what do you guys think? Just heave the ball up in the air towards the net really high, maybe an extra 2-3 seconds go by.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 11:19 PM
You mean like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUS6DjBAhGU

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
no that is stupid

Baller1
01-25-2010, 11:24 PM
You mean like this:

Where is Peterson? Did he retire?

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Where is Peterson? Did he retire?

I think he's still on the Hornets.

JDizzle
01-25-2010, 11:26 PM
You mean like this:

hahahahahaha wow

heatking
01-25-2010, 11:26 PM
You mean like this:

haha, how did i know that was coming.

Baller1
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
I think he's still on the Hornets.

I haven't heard a thing about him this year.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
I haven't heard a thing about him this year.

You'd have to ask a Hornet fan, but I think he fell out of the rotation.

shep33
01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
:facepalm:

ball needs to hit the rim before the shotclock expiring

otherwise they'll get those 2 seconds

I mean attempting a shot, not just heaving it up straight in the air. I would think that guys like D-wade or Lebron and Kobe would be able to hit the rim on a shot like that. I mean i think if they tried they could back it up a few feet behind the 3 point line and hit rim right? That would take another second or so off the clock.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I mean attempting a shot, not just heaving it up straight in the air. I would think that guys like D-wade or Lebron and Kobe would be able to hit the rim on a shot like that. I mean i think if they tried they could back it up a few feet behind the 3 point line and hit rim right? That would take another second or so off the clock.

yeah I was wrong, it has to be out of his hand when the shotclock expires and then the gameclock continues, I guess

Baller1
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
You'd have to ask a Hornet fan, but I think he fell out of the rotation.

Makes sense. Thanks.

shep33
01-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Haha i mean Michael Ruffin.... c'mon that was pathetic all he had to do was hold on to the ball and time would've expired haha. That was funny though. But in the heat vs Cavs game, I'd think that guys like Wade could step back like 4 feet behind the 3 point line and still get rim couldn't they? I mean if you hit rim the game is over, heck even if he shot a regular 3 the game would've been over. A lot of games have been lost by teams trying to play it safe, but if you take the clock out the game is over no matter what.

lavilevi23
01-25-2010, 11:45 PM
haha, how did i know that was coming.

lol i saw that coming too

b_rad23
01-26-2010, 12:14 AM
shep, you're completely right....

that's exactly what i was thinking as well.

best case- you hit the 3 and you're up 4 with a second left.
worst case- the cavs recover a loose ball at their end with less than a second left.

call me crazy, but there is no downside here, other than poor execution.

hoopitup
01-26-2010, 12:22 AM
have any of u ever played basketball u are all dumb as ****

clutchski
01-26-2010, 12:54 AM
have any of u ever played basketball u are all dumb as ****

wow :rolleyes:

shep33
01-26-2010, 01:24 AM
shep, you're completely right....

that's exactly what i was thinking as well.

best case- you hit the 3 and you're up 4 with a second left.
worst case- the cavs recover a loose ball at their end with less than a second left.

call me crazy, but there is no downside here, other than poor execution.

Man, i'm surprised teams don't try this. The Heat tonight for example were looking to score with 26 left and 24 on the shot clock. Now if Wade just holds the ball at the top till like 5 seconds, and puts up a shot a second before the buzzer, there would be 2.5-3 seconds left when he releases the shot. Cleveland has to wait for the shot to travel through the air, then hit the rim, get the rebound and call timeout. Now I don't know how long that's gonna take, but I'm guessing the Cavs would get the ball back with a max of around 1 seconds left. And that's being totally generous. I mean yeah its a risk, but Cleveland would likely have to call timeout and try a tip in play, that of course is depending on whether or not they get the ball with enough time.

ItsTheLastAce
01-26-2010, 01:30 AM
you know i was wondering the same exact the thing yesterday, i suppose it would work just dont do what ruffin did

SteveNash
01-26-2010, 01:31 AM
I rmember Nash doing this, only a couple seconds between shot clock and game clock, shot it with a really high arc and won the game.

Only real problem is if you airball which stops the clock if you shoot too early/too late.

shep33
01-26-2010, 02:19 AM
I rmember Nash doing this, only a couple seconds between shot clock and game clock, shot it with a really high arc and won the game.

Only real problem is if you airball which stops the clock if you shoot too early/too late.

Yeah, I wish more players were as smart as Nash. What could make this even more possible is say Kobe, Lebron, etc. do this but take a shot from say 3-4 feet from behind the 3 point line, i mean I'm pretty sure these guys can hit rim, and if they do the game is over. The opposing team at best would get the ball with a few tenths of a second left, and basically have to tip the ball in. I'd rather have that than give the other team 5-6 seconds, with a chance to tie or win the game. i just think its better to take the risk of doing this, b/c of it does work you give the opposing team basically 0 chance to win.

shep33
01-26-2010, 02:25 AM

Yeah, I wish more players were as smart as Nash. What could make this even more possible is say Kobe, Lebron, etc. do this but take a shot from say 3-4 feet from behind the 3 point line, i mean I'm pretty sure these guys can hit rim, and if they do the game is over. The opposing team at best would get the ball with a few tenths of a second left, and basically have to tip the ball in. I'd rather have that than give the other team 5-6 seconds, with a chance to tie or win the game. i just think its better to take the risk of doing this, b/c of it does work you give the opposing team basically 0 chance to win.

td0tsfinest
01-26-2010, 10:45 AM
You mean like this:

Is Michael Ruffin even in the league anymore? What a moron

It almost felt like the Washington fans were cheering for us

BTW: Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXaULLaQSE&feature=fvw

The Play by Play guy says the exact same thing a year later.

JasonJohnHorn
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Okay so I was recently watching heat vs cavs, and I notice that there's 26 seconds to go and Miami has the ball. Cleveland elects not to foul, but Wade turns it over and LBJ gets fouled with 4 seconds left. Now If your Miami, couldn't you technically use 26 seconds? Once the clock gets to say 2-3 seconds, why don't teams just heave the ball up really high at the rim. Maybe you hit the rim, and the ball stay's in the air for 3 seconds. The shot clock doesn't stop the game clock does it?? Just finished watching that game, I don't know if Cleveland won it as much as Miami lost it with missing free throws and the horrendous pass by Wade. But either way what do you guys think? Just heave the ball up in the air towards the net really high, maybe an extra 2-3 seconds go by.

That is likely what they were doing, but the "bad pass" is what messed it up for them. Clutch steal, clutch free-throws. When up by a point with 26 to go, killing the clock and putting up a shot is the best way to go about it.

TO Rapz
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing. What you said about Kobe being able to hit the rim from about 3 -4 feet behind the arc. Hes actually able to put up a 40 footer while fading away with minimal space. That s actually what happened in the Raptor game the other day. There was 1.2 seconds on the clock i believe and Kobe got the ball inbounded and jacked up a 40 foot fadeaway and it took more than 1.5 seconds atleast because I believe the buzzer went off before it even hit the rime. Also he was standing right beside the baseline so inbounding the ball took minimal if any time off the clock. My point is. If Wade held the ball until about 22 seconds on the shot clock was used up..leaving the game clock to be 5 seconds I believe, he than could of jacked up a 35 - 40 footer while going through the process taking of another second, then the ball travels for atleast 1.5 to 2 seconds which would leave about 2 seconds on the clock. Then the rebound and calling the time-out takes ATLEAST 1 second leaving the other team (in this case the Cavaliers) with 1 second on the clock IF THE REBOUND is perfect. Also all this happens if Wade wants to be absolutely safe and jack the shot up with 2 seconds left. If Wade put it up with about 1 second or just before the clock expires, I think the Heat win the game no matter what happens.