PDA

View Full Version : Crittenton gets 1-year probation in Arenas incident

cheerio
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4856909

WASHINGTON -- Washington Wizards guard Javaris Crittenton has been sentenced to a year of unsupervised probation after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge stemming from a dispute with teammate Gilbert Arenas.

Senior Judge Bruce Beaudin ordered Crittenton to do outreach work with young people after accepting his plea Monday to one count of possession of an unregistered firearm.

Prosecutors agreed to drop a second misdemeanor charge of attempted carrying a pistol without a license.

Crittenton apologized for what he called an "embarrassment" and said the incident was out of character. His lawyer says the 22-year-old brought the gun to D.C. because he feared Arenas would carry out threats he had made.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league had no comment at this time.

Arenas pleaded guilty on Jan. 15 to a felony gun charge connected to a locker-room argument that is believed to have involved Crittenton.

Arenas, who is under an indefinite NBA suspension, will learn the ultimate length of the ban by the end of next week, sources told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan last week.

Fair or Unfair?

Fresno
01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
OK.

So he snitched on Gilbert? How do you get basically the same gun charges as Gilbert did and only do 1 year of unsupervised probation?

elizur
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Gilbert had 4 guns. So, I am ssuming Arenas has more charges.

kblo247
01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
OK.

So he snitched on Gilbert? How do you get basically the same gun charges as Gilbert did and only do 1 year of unsupervised probation?

He didn't have a history of gun problems like Gilbert (GSW)

1st time offenders tend to get off easier you know

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
:guns:

igPay atinLay
01-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Kick him out of the league and give him 30 days of jail, $10,000 fine, and 5,000 hours of community service, and a lifetime of zero tolerance probation.

Lets actually really punish the idiots that do things that lead to people getting killed.

The punishment for Arenas should be far worse than what I posted above.

Raoul Duke
01-25-2010, 05:55 PM
The kid is an idiot, but I still feel bad for him. At his age and with his contract, Arenas should be a positive role model for young players and a professional on and off the court, and instead he craps in his teammates' shoes and threatens to shoot sophomores in the face.

Put any young player in direct contact with that kind of jackassery and theres bound to be problems. Maybe not gun charges, but still...

EDIT: I also think Washington has probably been more supportive of Arenas than people think. Does anyone actually believe that Gil took the guns to work to get them away from his kids? I call BS. I think he probably took them in so that he could scare Crittenton, and I think Washington probably knows it and has remained quiet about it.

Kakaroach
01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Eh not that big a deal, I thought he was gonna get suspended as well. Which the NBA might do.

runforrestrunx9
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
pretty fair