PDA

View Full Version : OT: Celtics concerned with Production of Opposing PGs

Cool007
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Celtics concerned with Production of Opposing PGs/Rondo's defense

The Celtics have been burnt by opposing point guards in their last four games, a fact that hasn't been lost on coach Doc Rivers or Rajon Rondo.

Point guards are averaging 21.2 points, 8.7 assists and 7.7 rebounds and shooting 50 percent from the field in the last quartet of games.

"I'm concerned with any one position that gets that many points in a game," Rivers said Sunday. "And the assists as well. I can live with one or the other, but I can't live with both. We have to do a better job when there's bigger guys, just like when we play teams that have slower guards and Rondo takes advantage of that with his speed.

"It's up to the team to help that guy out. And I don't think we did a good enough job."

Don't gamble because if you gamble on a bigger guy, now his body won't let you back in front. And the team has to understand it's a tough spot for us and we have to help early and then have better weakside help."

I am so glad this came out. Just shows how OVERRATED Rondo's defense is. People look at how high he is in Steals per game and just assume that he is a very good defensive PG in the NBA. I have watched SO MANY Celtics games and I can tell you that Rondo is a good PG and is usually everywhere but that shouldn't equate to good defense. Also, Celtics overall defense is so elite that it really hides Rondo's weakness on poking the ball from behind instead of moving his feet to stay in front of Point Guards or taking an offensive foul or really making it tough for point guards to shoot.

Instead, his defense is consist of let the guy get past you and then go for steal from behind or just go for rebound and then run before that Point guard catches upto you in the fast break - meaning easy points for him or easy assists.

Just my observations.

mjt20mik
01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Rondo is a very solid defensive player, but I do think he is overrated. I mean, Boston's defensive scheme is very strong, and it allows Rondo to gamble at times, but now more teams are starting to exploit it.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
are you a Rose fan???

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 12:13 PM
this guy is all over Rose's nuts, check his profile

why you just didn't named this thread to Rondo vs Rose, who's better?

Cool007
01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

That's not what this thread is about.

I consider Rondo as the best PG in the East this year so what does it have to do anything with Rose???

Sly Guy
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
I think a more telling defensive stat would be the your cover's FG% than any 'bonus'-like stats such as steals or blocks. I don't know why they don't keep track of this.

Gibby23
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
If you look up his stats and defensive rating, he is one of the best at his position.

mikantsass
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd like to point out that the 4 PGs he is referring to are no slouches:

Rose- 17pts 4 assists, 8 reb
J Kidd- 13pts, 17assists, 4 reb
Stuckey- 27pts, 6assist, 11reb
Andre Miller- 28pts, 8 assists, 8reb

Rose had the worst game out of the 4. A very pedestrian effort.
Kidd had his usual monster assist game.
Stuckey was on fire all night (Rondo does have a hard time guarding bigger guards like Deron and Billups and Stuckey)
Andre has been on fire over the last month. He is lighting everyone up, not just Rondo.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I think a more telling defensive stat would be the your cover's FG% than any 'bonus'-like stats such as steals or blocks. I don't know why they don't keep track of this.

They do, Rondo's opposing eFG% is .480, the league average for PGs is .491

Raph12
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Rondo is elite defensively, he's a roamer as well though, looks for the steals, helps out on guys down low, etc... It is upto the team as a whole to help out whenever someone gets beat though.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Stuckey was on fire all night (Rondo does have a hard time guarding bigger guards like Deron and Billups and Stuckey)
Andre has been on fire over the last month. He is lighting everyone up, not just Rondo.

Rose played under 30 minutes, 17-4-8-.500 in that time is pretty solid

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Rondo is elite defensively, he's a roamer as well though, looks for the steals, helps out on guys down low, etc... It is upto the team as a whole to help out whenever someone gets beat though.

He gambles too much when Garnett is not playing and gets killed.

DLeeicious
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

For **** sake, could you have posted anything more useless?

I agree with the point above that the overall solid Celtic defense allows Rondo to take more chances on the home run. If you have KG behind you it allows you to do so and I don't see anything wrong with it. His defense may be overrated but it's still pretty good. Ignore my sig it's a joke because I hate Rondo.

Cool007
01-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Rose also played ONLY 29 minutes in that game (due to foul trouble on some stupidest calls ever) - so 17/8/4 in only 29 minutes is pretty good not pedestrian effort - especially when most of his points came in the 4th qtr in crunch time.

Kidd - with 13points and 17assists are way above his regular averages this year.

Stuckey had a MONSTER game and Pistons WON the game coz of it.

Andre Miller - He had his BEST game this month against Boston. 28 points is also his SEASON HIGH that he got against Boston/Rondo.

If Rose had other PGs doing that then pretty much all Bulls fans would be all over Rose on how bad he is on the defensive end (last year) while Rondo is considered an ELITE defender by some.

mikantsass
01-25-2010, 01:08 PM
If Rose had other PGs doing that then pretty much all Bulls fans would be all over Rose on how bad he is on the defensive end (last year) while Rondo is considered an ELITE defender by some.

So what does that tell you about your Bulls "faithful"?

ManRam
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Rondo is the best defensive PG in the East. I don't care about a 4 game stretch. I am not anyone who cares about steals or blocks either. Especially for guards, they are basically meaningless. He holds opposing PGs to a PER of 15.7 this year, while he's putting up a PER of 22.3. That's plus 6.6, a very good number. His opponent PER is better than Rose, Billups, Paul, Nash, Parker, Mo, Jennings, Evans etc. Deron Williams' is better, he's the only one out of the good PGs that is higher. 4 games doesn't shape a season. Rondo is elite defensively.

Sly Guy
01-25-2010, 01:13 PM

where are you pulling those stats? I'm very interested in checked out more than a few players.

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 01:29 PM

just because you seem to be all over Kobe's nuts doesnt mean that other fans automatically have to be all over their team's "best player's" nuts.
nice try tho..drawing attention away from yourself. but it just doesn't work like that. u r better off keeping a low profile, bro :cool:

concerning the thread issue: Doc comes up with ideas and possible explanations for the C's lacking effort. an attempt to find explanations.
i find this very interesting... after all the hype criticism on Rondo is well timed and it also might be justified, but at the end of the day it's the team defense that the C's have been missing.
furthermore, when the guys simply play without heart/focus and passion and if they continue to ***** after every call and take early bad shots without moving the ball and when they have opponents dominate the boards...
then good luck searching for a remedy. the cause and further spread of this illness might be cured and prevented with a serious examination of A trade, Mr. Doc !!

Stunner
01-25-2010, 01:31 PM
I wont allow it this thread is About Rondo defense not Rose everybody stop D ridin. Rondo D is a lil overrated but he still is a good defender. Stay on the thread subject for once people so what if he has Rose on his profile it doesnt matter a lot of people put up different threads about other players. If i put up a thread about people talking about Kobe and have a Lebron profile should it matter. GROW THE F UP !

Cool007
01-25-2010, 01:32 PM
So what does that tell you about your Bulls "faithful"?

That last year Bulls were a very very bad defensive team and nothing short of pathetic pick and roll defense team.

This year, it's a LOT different. Rose has improved his defense and overall Bulls' defense has been really good as well.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Rondo is the best defensive PG in the East. I don't care about a 4 game stretch. I am not anyone who cares about steals or blocks either. Especially for guards, they are basically meaningless. He holds opposing PGs to a PER of 15.7 this year, while he's putting up a PER of 22.3. That's plus 6.6, a very good number. His opponent PER is better than Rose, Billups, Paul, Nash, Parker, Mo, Jennings, Evans etc. Deron Williams' is better, he's the only one out of the good PGs that is higher. 4 games doesn't shape a season. Rondo is elite defensively.

Brandon Jennings opposing PER is 15.8, Aaron Brooks opposing PER is 15.3, Rose is 16.0 so is TParker, Kidd is 14.4. The connection is, while none of those guys are what anyone would call "elite" defenders, they have some teammates that are great at contesting shots in the paint.

I would love to see the numbers of Rondo w/Garnett vs Rondo without Garnett

I haven't really found a great metric for weighing a players defense, APM is decent because it attempts to account for teammates and competition.

I'm being harsh on Rondo, but I don't think he's a bad defender. I have a hard time calling him elite when he's been exposed, especially down the stretch last year and this recent stint without KG. It doesn't help that Rondo has to play such heavy minutes and run the offense, certainly has to wear on him and make his defense less effective.

where are you pulling those stats? I'm very interested in checked out more than a few players.

Here is Brandon Jennings:
http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIL1.HTM#bypos

82 games keep track off eFG% which is FG% adjusted for the fact that 3's are worth more than 2's

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
That last year Bulls were a very very bad defensive team and nothing short of pathetic pick and roll defense team.

This year, it's a LOT different. Rose has improved his defense and overall Bulls' defense has been really good as well.

if you want to start a new thread discussing YOUR idea, then go ahead and do so: and in the Bulls forum, please! and btw the world revolves in its size and measures just a a little bit further than black and red, homer!
but for now it doesnt belong in here... nobody cares anyway...and for all your other off-topic posts: as u said it yourself: "A LOT" (in)different.

Cool007
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
if you want to start a new thread discussing YOUR idea, then go ahead and do so: and in the Bulls forum, please! and btw the world revolves in its size and measures just a a little bit further than black and red, homer!
but for now it doesnt belong in here... nobody cares anyway...and for all your other off-topic posts: as u said it yourself: "A LOT" (in)different.

What are you blabbering about??? I was answering to someone who asked me a question.

JNA17
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
rondo>rose

bigsams50
01-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Shouldnt this be in the celtics forum?

bears88
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Dam why everytime these kinda threads about Rondo or the celtics has D Rose vs Rondo gets Involved this has nothing to do with D Rose so who ever is talking about Rondo Vs Rose just drop it is becasue the story is clearly is talking about celtics struggles with the opposing PGs not about Rondo and Rose am getting sick and tired of people changing the subject and also its getting real old comparing thses to PGS Clearly they are both talented and both got a great future in the NBA enough said who ever wants to disagree with me thats just fine with me. I am just a little annoyed that everytime Rondo is mentioned Rose gets mentioned somehow and in some way

Stunner
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
dam why everytime these kinda threads about rondo or the celtics has d rose vs rondo gets involved this has nothing to do with d rose so who ever is talking about rondo vs rose just drop it is becasue the story is clearly is talking about celtics struggles with the opposing pgs not about rondo and rose am getting sick and tired of people changing the subject and also its getting real old comparing thses to pgs

x2,x3,x4,x5,x6,x7,x8,x9,x10

bigsams50
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
^ What do you expect when a Bulls fan makes a thread that makes Rondo look bad? THis isnt really NBA forum material and it should stay in the Celtics or Bulls forum

bears88
01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
^ What do you expect when a Bulls fan makes a thread that makes Rondo look bad? THis isnt really NBA forum material and it should stay in the Celtics or Bulls forum

Well What am trying to say is its getting really annoying and old that People changing the subject everytime a thread is created about Rondo people change the subject and they start comparing Rondo Vs Rose which this story is clearly isnt about thoses two

Chronz
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
the top 5 defensive PG's GO....

cali72888
01-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Coming from a non-bias fan, Rondo is vastly overrated.

On another team he would not be the same player, you put him on NY and his numbers would fall drastically.

Rondo is a product of having 3 hall of famers on his team and having a coach that takes advantage of having a slasher like Rondo on the floor who gets overlooked by other teams because of KG, Allen, Pierce.

twoearl
01-25-2010, 02:49 PM
rondo is what allen iverson used to be on defense just with longer arms.

beardown78
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Just tells you how overrated Rondo is as A defender without a healthy Garnett behind him for help defense. Rondo isnt A great one on one defender Rose had him on roller skates in the second half of our last meeting

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 02:52 PM
the top 5 defensive PG's GO....

5. Devin Harris
4. Steve Nash
3. Jose Calderon
2. Derek Fisher
1. Mike James

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 03:01 PM
just because you seem to be all over Kobe's nuts doesnt mean that other fans automatically have to be all over their team's "best player's" nuts.
nice try tho..drawing attention away from yourself. but it just doesn't work like that. u r better off keeping a low profile, bro :cool:

concerning the thread issue: Doc comes up with ideas and possible explanations for the C's lacking effort. an attempt to find explanations.
i find this very interesting... after all the hype criticism on Rondo is well timed and it also might be justified, but at the end of the day it's the team defense that the C's have been missing.
furthermore, when the guys simply play without heart/focus and passion and if they continue to ***** after every call and take early bad shots without moving the ball and when they have opponents dominate the boards...
then good luck searching for a remedy. the cause and further spread of this illness might be cured and prevented with a serious examination of A trade, Mr. Doc !!

i'm not over kobe's nuts

lamar is my favourite laker:)

magichatnumber9
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Celtics concerned with Production of Opposing PGs/Rondo's defense

I am so glad this came out. Just shows how OVERRATED Rondo's defense is. People look at how high he is in Steals per game and just assume that he is a very good defensive PG in the NBA. I have watched SO MANY Celtics games and I can tell you that Rondo is a good PG and is usually everywhere but that shouldn't equate to good defense. Also, Celtics overall defense is so elite that it really hides Rondo's weakness on poking the ball from behind instead of moving his feet to stay in front of Point Guards or taking an offensive foul or really making it tough for point guards to shoot.

Instead, his defense is consist of let the guy get past you and then go for steal from behind or just go for rebound and then run before that Point guard catches upto you in the fast break - meaning easy points for him or easy assists.

Just my observations.

Dude if your gonna post something you should ****ing read it first. I'll let you figure it out.

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM

i have to quote myself now...apparently, i ve been the only one out of all the other posts so far whose response is actually RELATED to the TOPIC of this thread! :cry:
people need to stop this bullcrap..or go and find other ways to waste time! :mad:

Stunner
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
i have to quote myself now...apparently, i ve been the only one out of all the other posts so far whose response is actually RELATED to the TOPIC of this thread! :cry:
people need to stop this bullcrap..or go and find other ways to waste time! :mad:

x2

Bullsfan22
01-25-2010, 03:35 PM
already knew he was an overrated defender.

johnwayne
01-25-2010, 03:43 PM

On another team he would not be the same player, you put him on NY and his numbers would fall drastically.

Rondo is a product of having 3 hall of famers on his team and having a coach that takes advantage of having a slasher like Rondo on the floor who gets overlooked by other teams because of KG, Allen, Pierce.

post of the year.... rondo better be lettin kg,ray ray n pierce sleep with his girlfriend....ANY, and i mean ANY NBA point guard could look good with the celtics, offensivly and defensively.....but as for his "numbers" would fall drastically...what numbers? u play with 3 HOF'ers and he's averaged 10-5...12-8..and 14-9...those numbers are below average for a starting celtic point guard.....besides LA or cleveland.....rondo would crumble on any other team

Chacarron
01-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Just my observations.

I have the same opinion about the bolded section.:clap:

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM

post of the year.... rondo better be lettin kg,ray ray n pierce sleep with his girlfriend....ANY, and i mean ANY NBA point guard could look good with the celtics, offensivly and defensively.....but as for his "numbers" would fall drastically...what numbers? u play with 3 HOF'ers and he's averaged 10-5...12-8..and 14-9...those numbers are below average for a starting celtic point guard.....besides LA or cleveland.....rondo would crumble on any other team

once again..this thread is NOT all about Rondo..and it's NOT about Rondo being overrated or underrated.

even more so this thread is NOT about this "Rondo is all about playing with 3 future HOF's" type of crap. There are other threads where particularly THAT issue is being discussed.

you people sign up to the forum and once a name drops, you randomly start bashing. apparently you must feel an urge to expose your ignorance in public. this is not something to show off with on the internet. to leave an impression i'd rather have you post some naked pictures of your sister

johnwayne
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
once again..this thread is NOT all about Rondo..and it's NOT about Rondo being overrated or underrated.

even more so this thread is NOT about this "Rondo is all about playing with 3 future HOF's" type of crap. There are other threads where particularly THAT issue is being discussed.

you people sign up to the forum and once a name drops, you randomly start bashing. apparently you must feel an urge to expose your ignorance in public. this is not something to show off with on the internet. to leave an impression i'd rather have you post some naked pictures of your sister

LMAO...you need to get banned from this site...the thread is ALL about the celtics opposing PG performance...who do you think is guarding them einstein???....rondo is "susposedly" one of the best defenders in the league yet here is an article talking about how the players that RONDO guards are rapin them....wake up!

magichatnumber9
01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Seriously why is Rondo in the NBA? He is the worst point guard in the league. He is a bum on defense, doesn't try hard. In fact we should of ditched Rondo and signed Stephon Marbury. He fit in so well with are team. If Rondo played for Orlando, well his stats would be inflated there. And some of you are talking about this guy deserving an allstar bid. You people are sad. Rondo is also dirty. After putting his mitts on Kirk he should have been banned for life. That incident is 100 times worse then Ron Artest going into the stands.

BkOriginalOne
01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Rondo's defense is not overrated. And it's kind of dumb to look at 4 point guards who played well against the Celtics and be of concern.

It becomes a problem when they are losing these games an being torched night-in and night out. Which, honestly, won't happen.

waveycrockett
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
He's Devin Harris 2.0. A naturally gifted defender but once he starts putting his focus on the offensive end his defense suffers.

magichatnumber9
01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
In the NFL forum anytime you want to downgrade a quarterback with no facts you call them a system quarterback. Here we **** on players by calling them overrated. Its really the same thing.

Alwaysballin247
01-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Lets also point out that KG was not playing in a few of those games... Rondo is just fine but we do need a back up PG or at ;east daniels back to bring the ball up so rondo doesn't have to play as many minutes and can play him some vs other teams back up pgs

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
LMAO...you need to get banned from this site...the thread is ALL about the celtics opposing PG performance...who do you think is guarding them einstein???....rondo is "susposedly" one of the best defenders in the league yet here is an article talking about how the players that RONDO guards are rapin them....wake up!

ok cowboy.
i posted my response dealing with the TOPIC of this thread on one of the previous pages. feel free to look it up and enlighten yourself!

btw: as far as basketball tactics are concerned, you know, teams set screens. what happens is that you need to adjust your defense and switch and rotate, that results in miss matches...etc. you might have heard of it :D

you know what i have to give you credit: you acknowledged that it's a team effort: "raping THEM" correct, the celtics have been struggling, because of a lack of effort as a team...with that being said: Rondo is one of the whatever ranked in the whatever category in whatever conference doing whatever of the few who can't do what he does! save it! lol
The celtics need to get back on track!
and Doc need to do his job right!

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 04:33 PM

lmao! firstly, i welcome you to PSD...

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Seriously why is Rondo in the NBA? He is the worst point guard in the league. He is a bum on defense, doesn't try hard. In fact we should of ditched Rondo and signed Stephon Marbury. He fit in so well with are team. If Rondo played for Orlando, well his stats would be inflated there. And some of you are talking about this guy deserving an allstar bid. You people are sad. Rondo is also dirty. After putting his mitts on Kirk he should have been banned for life. That incident is 100 times worse then Ron Artest going into the stands.

:nod: :laugh2:

sugarrayray
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
rondo is the downfall of the celtics. he is slowly but surely killing them. hes stepped out of his role, theres not enough room for his ego right now and he needs to chill out. doc did a horrible job by not keeping rondo in check

td0tsfinest
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Maybe I am misreading:

are point guards averaging those stats in the final quarters of the game or are they saying in the the last 25% of the season?

Im assuming its the latter cause the former seems way too unrealistic.

But I agree. I do think Rondo is overrated. He's good but his numbers are inflated playing alongside 3 future HOFers.

JerzeyFresh
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
Rondo is soon to be the best PG in the NBA (behind Chris Paul) hes a great passer and can score when needed also hes a really good rebounder for a PG and he has a great work ethic and the desire to get better. I think his defense will improve as he ages and matures i expect great things from Rondo especially if he improves his jumper because his ability to get to the hoop is not a problem

Lakersfan2483
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think Rondo is the problem, it's the team defense that is suffering because of all the lineup changes, injuries, etc.... Rondo is one of the elite wing defenders in the NBA.

PLAYERS FAN
01-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Rondo is a great off the ball defender like Lebron James.

magichatnumber9
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I am somewhat confused. How is Rondo overrated here? The active members of the Celtics forum don't blow up Rondo. We Celtic fans have no power over the media so how would that be relevant on this website. Take your grievances to ESPN.COM

Cool007
01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Rondo is soon to be the best PG in the NBA (behind Chris Paul) hes a great passer and can score when needed

Overrating Much???

Do you not think Deron Williams exists??? Steve Nash? Billups???

Lil Rhody
01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Love it

IversonIsKrazy
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Rondo's defense is so amazingly overrated, hes an average defender who gets killed by bigger guys, steals the ball on a great defensive team.

That was just the case about AI back in 2000-2003. He was on the best defensive team, averaging a whole lot of steals, but didn't mean hes a good defender, for god sake the guy hold the record for most steals in a playoff game, rondo is NOT as good as u think. GOod thing this is finally being realized. Hes still solid though, im not saying he sucks, but he isnt as great as his stats.

Alwaysballin247
01-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Overrating Much???

Do you not think Deron Williams exists??? Steve Nash? Billups???

He had soon.....in a few years nash won't even be playing and billups will be getting up their in age and yeah I am a huge celtics fan but d williams is awesome so I don't know about that one

twoearl
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Rondo is a great off the ball defender like Lebron James.

Exactly. End of discussion!

cali72888
01-25-2010, 06:14 PM

You are in a sense attacking members of this site and being a hypocrite with your statements. If you were such a active, productive member of the forum you would not insinuating that people are randomly bashing players.

You are a new member to PSD and come in here acting like you own the place, come on we are discussing sports not trying to argue.

This thread is "All about Rondo" being that he guards the other teams PG's and this article shows how without his 7' center playing teams are actually being able to drive down the lane and Rondo cant do anything about it .He is simply not a good as good of a player as he is made out to be.

Just because you are a Boston fan does not mean other members of this forum are bashing players, we are telling the opinion of other people then bias Boston fans.

You want to focus on us "bashing" Rondo, when in reality this Article speaks for itself about Rondo and how over rated he really is.

jim51990
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
wow hate all you want rondos the best pg in the east and its not even close

johnwayne
01-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Rondo is soon to be the best PG in the NBA (behind Chris Paul) hes a great passer and can score when needed also hes a really good rebounder for a PG and he has a great work ethic and the desire to get better. I think his defense will improve as he ages and matures i expect great things from Rondo especially if he improves his jumper because his ability to get to the hoop is not a problem

rondo???....is that you?......no seriously though put the blunt down....this may be the worst post i've ever seen on the site...this is worse than that guy that said kobe was better than jordan....but anyway all i will say is deron williams, derrick rose, tyreke evans, brandon jennings, and john wall will be the ones behind cp3...not rondo... I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL KG ALLEN AND PEIRCE RETIRE.....rondo's nutriders will be hiding in caves like bin laden

dev0
01-27-2010, 03:20 AM
o my fu----g god, get real okay? Rondo is leading the league in steals for shoot sakes, and also third in assists... he's a phenomenal point guard that the rest of the league would love to have. he's great defensively the celtics should be lucky

DaaBoTownSox
01-27-2010, 03:32 AM
I'm so tired of all these Celtic hating threads. Find something else to talk about, or just don't post.

It's really old.

Don't make me start Laker or Kobe hating threads..

bigsams50
01-27-2010, 08:37 AM
rondo???....is that you?......no seriously though put the blunt down....this may be the worst post i've ever seen on the site...this is worse than that guy that said kobe was better than jordan....but anyway all i will say is deron williams, derrick rose, tyreke evans, brandon jennings, and john wall will be the ones behind cp3...not rondo... I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL KG ALLEN AND PEIRCE RETIRE.....rondo's nutriders will be hiding in caves like bin laden

YOu must have forgotten about the bulls fan that made the thread titled "HOw long until rose become the best player in the NBA".

avrpatsfan
01-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Shut the thread down. Owned!

ldc62
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't think Rondo's D is overrated. He moves his feet well (good positioning). The only knock is that he takes chances, but he does get steals.

TheWatcher34
01-27-2010, 04:20 PM
You are in a sense attacking members of this site and being a hypocrite with your statements. If you were such a active, productive member of the forum you would not insinuating that people are randomly bashing players.

You are a new member to PSD and come in here acting like you own the place, come on we are discussing sports not trying to argue.

This thread is "All about Rondo" being that he guards the other teams PG's and this article shows how without his 7' center playing teams are actually being able to drive down the lane and Rondo cant do anything about it .He is simply not a good as good of a player as he is made out to be.

Just because you are a Boston fan does not mean other members of this forum are bashing players, we are telling the opinion of other people then bias Boston fans.

You want to focus on us "bashing" Rondo, when in reality this Article speaks for itself about Rondo and how over rated he really is.

you should watch some more Celtics games and see for yourself. you may reconsider "your opinion" at any time

Cool007
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
What is this coming down to???

Rondo has been the best PG in the East this year and has been really phenomenal running that team. He is also on a contender and a big part of what they do.

The only reason for this thread was to show that when good big men not backing up Rondo, his defense look average. Just that he is not ELITE or shut down type defender that some were making him out to be.

He is still a good PG defender but gambles WAY too much, it doesn't show up much or affect them as much coz they have a 2 good 7-footers manning the paint and it's tough to shoot over them as they are good shot blockers/defenders.

But that doesn't make Rondo a bad player. Rondo is still awesome and has been much better than last year. I still think he gets benefited a lot playing next to 3 HOFers but that is a different question and no way to prove it unless he wasn't playing with 3 HOFers so no need to talk about it.

ballpd05
01-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Is .49 really the league average for pg shooting percentage. That seems really high for the shortest (normally) guy on the court. .481 even seems really high.

Corey
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Rondo struggles against bigger point guards such as Billups, Rose, and Baron. That's not new news.

The numbers are a bit inflated, though. The games in question were when KG was out of the C's lineup, so Rondo's defense was more self-dependent. There was no KG there to step in to stop the penetrating guards.

No excuses though, Rondo definitely needs to step up on defense against the 6'4 guys.

DLeeicious
01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Rondo struggles against bigger point guards such as Billups, Rose, and Baron. That's not new news.

The numbers are a bit inflated, though. The games in question were when KG was out of the C's lineup, so Rondo's defense was more self-dependent. There was no KG there to step in to stop the penetrating guards.

No excuses though, Rondo definitely needs to step up on defense against the 6'4 guys.

Exactly. Having KG in the paint allows point guards to be so much more aggressive defending. It was like Big Ben back in the day, you would see a very noticeable difference when Lebron played Big Bens team vs. a regular team, the paint was Bens territory. With that knowledge his teammate defending Lebron could play him differently than if Ben was not behind him, same with Rondo and KG.

ChiSox219
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Is .49 really the league average for pg shooting percentage. That seems really high for the shortest (normally) guy on the court. .481 even seems really high.

Yes, for qualified PGs depending on what qualifications you want to use. I think I used 15mpg at least 30 games or 20mpg at least 20 games.

But that number is eFG% which adds value to 3 pointers made because they are worth more than 2's. The formula is (FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA

But I'm too keen on using opposing eFG% for perimeter players, especially in Rondo's case where if the guy gets past him he has to face KG/Perkins probably the best defensive 4/5 combo in the league.

RadiantShot
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
You think that the Celtics have it bad? Look at Jameer's defense. ;(
Anyone can get a career-night against Jameer.

johnwayne
01-28-2010, 10:03 AM

there are only 6 pg's in the nba who shoot 49% or better so how do u figure 49% is going to be the average for the whole league???.....STOP MAKIN STUFF UP!

CELTICS4LYFE
01-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Rondo also tends to burn other pg's that r bigger than him also, rose davis

the only one the gave him fits were billups when he was in det