PDA

View Full Version : If the Nuggets decided to trade J.R. Smith, what's the best move they could make?

DenButsu
01-24-2010, 11:39 PM
I know this may seem like a Nuggets Forum topic, but it may have a league-wide implication, and I wanted to sound out the thoughts from fans of other teams.

J.R. acted in an insubordinate manner when he got pulled from the Hornets game after some pretty bad play, storming off to the locker room, and then sulking on the bench (chalking up only 12 minutes in that game). The team is considering suspending him for the Bobcats game on Monday (which Melo will already be setting out due to an ankle sprain, btw). The fact that this comes less than 4 weeks before the trade deadline has many in Nuggetsland speculating that the FO might put him on the block and actively try to shop him.

He's a risky venture to be sure - high risk, but also high reward if he ever learns to get his head screwed on straight. There are a lot of teams out there that could use a player with his talents. The Nuggets are starting to get more reliable scoring (including from the 3-point arc) from Ty Lawson and Arron Afflalo, which would somewhat ease the negative impact of losing Smith. And if they traded him, they'd probably be looking for a swingman who can play the 2 and 3, who can defend, rebound, and maybe knock down the open 3. (One idea that has been floated a lot, for example, is J.R. for Battier).

So if J.R. was on the block, would you want your team to make a move for him? And what would you have them give up in return?

pd7631
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
I'd be all for a trade with the Sixers.....

Andre Iguodala+Elton Brand

for

J.R. Smith+Kenyon Martin+2010 1st round pick

The Nuggets are in position to contend for a championship right now, and this trade absolutely makes them a better team.

The Sixers are a bad team looking to cut salaries, and in need for a SG that can knock down some 3's. By acquiring J.R. and K-Mart, we are getting a legit 2 guard, and reducing our long term, high salary, commitments.

Samuel Dalembert, Jason Kapono, Willie Green, Kenyon Martin, and J.R. Smith would all come off the books in 2011. Their salaries combined come to about $42 million I believe. So that leaves Philly with a ton of cap room, while still keeping our young core of:

Lou Williams
Jrue Holiday
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young

This is a win/win if you ask me

Kakaroach
01-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Well I'm sure Jerry Sloan would never even talk about JR Smith as an option but if he owuld I would give up pretty much any one of our wingers except Wes Matthews and Ronnie Brewer. So Kyle Korver, AK-47, CJ Miles, and maybe any other bench players.

But I really don't think a team would trade for him unless it is a very desperate situation, especially after these actions of his.

*Superman*
01-24-2010, 11:46 PM
He's good for the bench, the Magic already have a good bench, if anything we need a true PF. So from the Magic organization, I would have to respectfully decline your offer. lol

Wilson
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Shane Battier would be a great fit in Denver.

A scoring big man would be a good fit too in my opinion. I'm too lazy to look up any names right now, but if there was a guy who could score around 18 PPG while not disrupting the defensive ability and physicality of the Nuggets front-court, he would be fantastic for them.

st3voness
01-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Terry for J.R. Smith + Johan Petro + Cash.

nipo10847
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
They would be stupid to trade him. He is huge in the playoffs. I think nuggets are missing another bigman.

Shahrose
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
not sure if it would go through w/cap.
but

J.R Smith + Ty Lawson
for
Rudy Fernandez + Jared Bayless + 1st rd

AccUrSeD
01-24-2010, 11:56 PM
but

J.R Smith + Ty Lawson
for

terrible

wizardsfan3
01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
jr smith
for
stevenson, mcgee, and mcguire

cmellofan15
01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
these trades are just ********, does anybody even know who JR Smith is?

TheShock45
01-25-2010, 12:10 AM

for

The Nuggets are in position to contend for a championship right now, and this trade absolutely makes them a better team.

The Sixers are a bad team looking to cut salaries, and in need for a SG that can knock down some 3's. By acquiring J.R. and K-Mart, we are getting a legit 2 guard, and reducing our long term, high salary, commitments.

Samuel Dalembert, Jason Kapono, Willie Green, Kenyon Martin, and J.R. Smith would all come off the books in 2011. Their salaries combined come to about $42 million I believe. So that leaves Philly with a ton of cap room, while still keeping our young core of:

Lou Williams
Jrue Holiday
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young

I actually love this trade for 2 reasons, 1.) im a big JR smith fan haha and 2.) Kenyon martin has some good intensity and also we wouldnt feel obligated to start him or play him 30+ minutes (unless he deserves to ofcourse) because we did not sign him to that huge contract.

Also is there any Big free agents expected in 2011?? If not we can always trade them to the worse 2010 team for there star player

TheShock45
01-25-2010, 12:12 AM
but

J.R Smith + Ty Lawson
for

yea the 1st round pick is going the other way on this one, actually 2 picks would probly be needed to make this trade work Rudy and Jared are just better than both of them.

pd7631
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
I actually love this trade for 2 reasons, 1.) im a big JR smith fan haha and 2.) Kenyon martin has some good intensity and also we wouldnt feel obligated to start him or play him 30+ minutes (unless he deserves to ofcourse) because we did not sign him to that huge contract.

Also is there any Big free agents expected in 2011?? If not we can always trade them to the worse 2010 team for there star player

I'm not really sure what the 2011 FA class looks like, but I do know that it's never a bad thing to have cap flexibility. This trade gives us so many options.

FlakeyFool
01-25-2010, 12:21 AM

for

Lou Williams
Jrue Holiday
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young

terrible trade. Why on EARTH would the nuggets want Brand's contract? or better yet why would they want brand period?

_KB24_
01-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Love to have him in LA. You can choose from Puke, Vujashit, Farmar, Morrison, Powell, and Mbenga.

nuggetsyankees
01-25-2010, 12:38 AM
JR for Haywood & Nick Young

or

JR for Salmons & Gray

b_rad23
01-25-2010, 12:38 AM
somewhere in between the last 2 poster's proposals is your answer...

clehmun
01-25-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm the mock offseason GM for the nuggets.
i just traded JR + lawson + affalo + malik for iguodala.

a great defender who can play SG/SF.

great minds think alike.

RocketsRule
01-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Shane Battier would be a great fit in Denver

That's an interesting scenario... It would allow Ariza to play his natural position at SF and give us a badly needed scorer. I'd hate to give up Battier but I wouldn't mind trading him for Smith.

ElMarroAfamado
01-25-2010, 01:28 AM
id say the clippers should go after him since eric gordon has been hurt
but ricky davis is eerily similar to him almost in all aspects.....so.....i dont know.

hopefully he does get traded though cause i get annoyed when people in NBA2k10 on xbox live use him like if he is Jordan or something haha

ElMarroAfamado
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Love to have him in LA. You can choose from Puke, Vujashit, Farmar, Morrison, Powell, and Mbenga.

ill trade puke for a klondike bar

sf-fanatic
01-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Idk what you want from the warriors but im guessing maggette, so it will probably end up like Maggette and cj watson for Smith + cap fillers + 1st rounder

Hugbees
01-25-2010, 01:53 AM

for

Lou Williams
Jrue Holiday
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young

Wtf? You're a Sixers fan? C'mon dude, a fourth/fifth scorer, an above average role player + a late draft pick for your franchise player(and yes dude he is)? You're getting way too desperate trying to unload Brand's contract.

soonabooma
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I don't think acquiring Smith would be a move that our management would look at, but I do know that I'd love to have him on our team. He was with the Hornets when they played here in OKC for a couple of years and even though he spent most of that time in Byron Scotts doghouse, you could still see that he had major potential. He's a very talented player that any team would be lucky to have.

_KB24_
01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
ill trade puke for a klondike bar

We would have to throw in a pick to make it fair for you guys ;)

MELO 15
01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=clehmun;12088526]I'm the mock offseason GM for the nuggets.
i just traded JR + lawson + affalo + malik for iguodala.

a great defender who can play SG/SF.

Id some how trade JR, m.allen, petro, and balkmen to the wiz for caron butler. I know, your saying the wiz are cost cutting, so why would they take balkmen who has two, or three years left, well theres a simple answer to that, by him out. Caron can defend, can create a shot for himself, can hit the open three, and is humble enough to be that secound or third option, alah arenas/Jamison. By the way Jamison would be my first choice, but Im not sure we could nab him unless we were to trade one of our core guys, wich at this point in the season Im not sure the nuggets would be willing to do. Butler would be the guy Id look to try and get, and it seems to me that he is so professional, and has a nack and b ball IQ that he would fit right in to the system of things for the nuggets. If Im the nuggets, Id try my best to make this trade work.

pd7631
01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Wtf? You're a Sixers fan? C'mon dude, a fourth/fifth scorer, an above average role player + a late draft pick for your franchise player(and yes dude he is)? You're getting way too desperate trying to unload Brand's contract.

Neither Andre Iguodala or Elton Brand is a franchise player. If you think they are, then you seriously need to re-evaluate what your perception of a franchise player is.

Iggy is a 3rd scoring option at best(perfect for Denver). He's a good defender, but he can't create a shot for himself.

Elton Brand is a 2nd/3rd scoring option on a contending team. He provides good toughness and leadership. But without a legitimate superstar on the Sixers, there's no point in having him here. He'll be 34 when his contract ends. He just doesn't fit with where we stand as a franchise right now.

90% of Sixer fans would do anything to get rid of a package of Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand right now.

Also, we're 15-28 right now. That record sure screams to me that we have a solid team:facepalm:

But, if you put Iggy and Brand on a team like Denver, who already has a legitimate superstar, and a terrific #2 scoring option, they become serious contenders this season and next.

PG-Chauncey Billups
SG-Andre Iguodala
SF-Carmelo Anthony
PF-Elton Brand
C-Nene

Again, Iggy and Brand do the Sixers no good if they are the 2 best players on the team. We need a superstar, and we aren't gonna get that player as long as these 2 are on our team.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Alright guys- Lawson and Affalo are totally off the table. K-Mart already said he's not opting out of his money next year (around 12-15 mi if not more), so he's not going anywhere. Melo, Chauncy and Bird are not going anywhere.

IMO These are the people that might be on the table:

Johan Petro
Joey Graham
JR
Nene
Renaldo Balkman (very good player we just don't have the minutes in the rotation)
Malik Allen (probably not going anywhere, but the only other option)
Carter (old man, but a 1 year expiring)

Den, back me up or shoot me down if I'm all wet on this.

I would say that we would trade for a mediocre SG with a 3 ball, and a quality 'older' or 'project' big man for JR and Graham, Balkman or Petro. I don't agree with Karl that the'll be fine against ANY team that's in the playoffs right now without another impact big playing 15-20 min in the rotation- we still got to get past the Lakers.

JR's upside outweighs his attitude b/c if he gets on a team where he gets 25-30 mpg that attitude will disappear. He's pissing and moaning b/c he thought he was going to be the starting SG this year, and that's just not what Karl wants. He seems to want D on the 1st team and scoring on the 2nd team. JR's worth something, but let's get some realistic offers here.

Truly we need a high-potential, high percentage 3 point shooter and a 10-15 MPG big man that can support when Nene gets in foul trouble and K-Mart or Bird are inneffective.

Trading JR for a 'starting' big man might work 'cause that 10-15 MPG should increase since JR's 10-12 minutes minimum will get re-distributed, but based on Karl's lastest quips, I think he's looking for a 10-15 minute big man.

Channing Frye just got benched- maybe they'll try to get him again.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:16 AM
That's an interesting scenario... It would allow Ariza to play his natural position at SF and give us a badly needed scorer. I'd hate to give up Battier but I wouldn't mind trading him for Smith.

Well...Shane Battier is kinda in line with what i was thinking- throw in a draft pick and a project SG and I think that it might work. Once you move McGrady it would improve your team quite a bit, and give us some D and a 3 ball.

Hey, he's got playoff experience.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Neither Andre Iguodala or Elton Brand is a franchise player. If you think they are, then you seriously need to re-evaluate what your perception of a franchise player is.

Iggy is a 3rd scoring option at best(perfect for Denver). He's a good defender, but he can't create a shot for himself.

Elton Brand is a 2nd/3rd scoring option on a contending team. He provides good toughness and leadership. But without a legitimate superstar on the Sixers, there's no point in having him here. He'll be 34 when his contract ends. He just doesn't fit with where we stand as a franchise right now.

90% of Sixer fans would do anything to get rid of a package of Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand right now.

Also, we're 15-28 right now. That record sure screams to me that we have a solid team:facepalm:

But, if you put Iggy and Brand on a team like Denver, who already has a legitimate superstar, and a terrific #2 scoring option, they become serious contenders this season and next.

PG-Chauncey Billups
SG-Andre Iguodala
SF-Carmelo Anthony
PF-Elton Brand
C-Nene

Again, Iggy and Brand do the Sixers no good if they are the 2 best players on the team. We need a superstar, and we aren't gonna get that player as long as these 2 are on our team.

I don't think the Nuggets, who are not wanting to go over the cap, and seem to be trying to free up cap space, will take on that HUGE contract that Brand just signed. I love the thought of Iguodala coming to Denver, but this just isn't reality. Sorry.

clehmun
01-25-2010, 03:22 AM
just how valuable is birdman to nugget fans or general nba fans? just trying to get an idea.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Terry for J.R. Smith + Johan Petro + Cash.

Yea- I'd love this one too, if Terry wouldn't get hurt so much.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:25 AM

My thoughts exactly- one of the better 6th men when he has his **** together and they're wanting Lawson AND Affalo too. Give me a break.

Perl567
01-25-2010, 03:29 AM
just how valuable is birdman to nugget fans or general nba fans? just trying to get an idea.

IMO, he's a big man that can play 10-15 MPG and get 2-3 blocks, 5-6 RB's and 2-10 Pts Per Game . He's one of the more energetic players we have, and a huge fan favorite. He just got a great contract for having all the issues he had, and has improved this year. He's just not worth trading until he has a bigger contract. From what we get, and the fact he wants to remain in Denver as long as he can, I wouldn't want to trade that away for anyone (unless it brings a HUGE HUGE talent, but I don't think he would be in those contract arrangements)

arkanian215
01-25-2010, 11:04 AM

for

Lou Williams
Jrue Holiday
Marreese Speights
Thaddeus Young

sorry it seems like an ok deal but remember the marcus camby trade? it was something like camby for a conditional second round pick swap. That sounds like the owner didn't want to spend the money. I think they would rather see K-mart expire rather than take on iggy and brand. That's a lot of money to take on.

#1Mavericksfan
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
If anything they should try to get Brandon Haywood because that would really give them some size to battle the Lakers.

jimbobjarree
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I doubt Jerry has the energy to deal with a nutcase like smith anymore, so no interest from the Jazz.

BkOriginalOne
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Love J.R. Smith
I wish he defended better, played smarter, and more consistent.
Like Jason Terry.

Nuggets need a 2/3 hyrbrid who can defend and shoot and they also need a pf who can shoot a 12-16 ft jumper.

I would love to get guys like battier or posey.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think the Nuggets will get much of anything for JR, I mean, they could have Tyrus Thomas and I don't think I'd add much more.

If they could make the Iggy deal, they'd be a lock to go to the conference finals, and probably the favorite to win the West. But that's a big "IF"

loki34
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
J-rich:D

-Kobe24-TJ19-
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
J.R.Smith is a terrible player, he's like a worse version of Stephen Jackson

he jacks up terrible shots and makes them like 2 out of 10 nights and only plays for the spectators

st3voness
01-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Yea- I'd love this one too, if Terry wouldn't get hurt so much.

He's really not hurt a lot at all.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
J.R.Smith is a terrible player, he's like a worse version of Stephen Jackson

he jacks up terrible shots and makes them like 2 out of 10 nights and only plays for the spectators

I agree, I wouldn't trade for him unless I was either desperate and he came cheap.

Bulls could really use some 3pt shooting but VDN is not the kind of coach that I see JR Smith maturing under.

wizardsfan3
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
how do you hate on jr smith, if he was on another team, started, and got 35-38 mins he would be an all star no doubt but thats just IMO

Giantwarrior
01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
JR smith = Stephen Jackson

As good as JR smith is his attitude brings his value down.

Giantwarrior
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
If the Nuggets trade Earl they are getting rid of a player with top 10 most tattoos in the league. they better get someone with and equal amount in return.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
how do you hate on jr smith, if he was on another team, started, and got 35-38 mins he would be an all star no doubt but thats just IMO

No he wouldn't. He leads the league in bad shots taken and at least the last few years he made some of them, his TS% is down to .496. He also turns the ball over a lot and doesn't play defense. His offensive rating is the lowest on the Nuggets at 95, even though most of the team has an ORTG of 113 or higher.

eman
01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Sometimes the best trades are the trades you don't make. But in this case I think sometimes the worst trades are the trades you don't make as well. Before Stephen Jackson was traded to Charlotte the Nuggets were in intense negotiations with Golden State for him. After the teams couldn't work out a deal the rumors were that the trade would've involved JR because Denver's TPE was not big enough. Jackson would've brought alot of intangibles that JR cannot fill, a defensive minded vetearn player that can play the 2 or the 3 with an outside shot. Yet the Nuggets FO couldn't or wouldn't make the deal. This trade sure sounds good right about now.

I actually think that JR's problems with the Nuggets could simply be solved by starting him. Yet the play of Aaron Affalo and Ty Lawson combined with Chauncey Billup's stellar play since he returned from injury has made JR the odd man out in the guard rotation and he knows it.

arkanian215
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
If the Nuggets trade Earl they are getting rid of a player with top 10 most tattoos in the league. they better get someone with and equal amount in return.

lol. delonte west? robert swift? AI? Ariza? jason williams, bibbs

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
JR smith = Stephen Jackson

As good as JR smith is his attitude brings his value down.

Yeah Stephen Jackson is really killing the Bobcats right now....:eyebrow:

Chronz
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I dont know why hes been struggling but if I were the Rox Id do a Battier/Ariza swap for him in a second. Id hate to lose Battier but the Rox are entering a new age and Battier is remnant of the past, he wont have value for much longer. JR and Ariza would compliment each other fully, 2 athletic wings that can stretch and defend.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah Stephen Jackson is really killing the Bobcats right now....:eyebrow:

To be fair, the Bobcats was the perfect spot for Jack, their offense was so anemic that even his style was beneficial.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
I dont know why hes been struggling but if I were the Rox Id do a Battier/Ariza swap for him in a second. Id hate to lose Battier but the Rox are entering a new age and Battier is remnant of the past, he wont have value for much longer. JR and Ariza would compliment each other fully, 2 athletic wings that can stretch and defend.

Really?

JR seems like the antithesis of Battier and the Rockets philosophy in general.

Chronz
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
To be fair, the Bobcats was the perfect spot for Jack, their offense was so anemic that even his style was beneficial.

Yea I was gonna say, hes not doing all that well overall but he always gets alot of pub when his teams do well. Still imagine if he didnt have any defensive chops, hes done well for them. Its what JR Smith would look like only without the D/Leadership, still hes better than hes shown, he does this every year. Check out his 2nd half splits the past 3-4 years.

Chronz
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Really?

JR seems like the antithesis of Battier and the Rockets philosophy in general.
Im sure Morey would rather trade Ariza, my preference would be to keep the 2 locked up for the next 4 years.

Still youve got to think hes going to turn it around. Too talented to continue sucking, and if hes sulking to get traded then even better. Lessens his trade value.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Im sure Morey would rather trade Ariza, my preference would be to keep the 2 locked up for the next 4 years.

Still youve got to think hes going to turn it around. Too talented to continue sucking, and if hes sulking to get traded then even better. Lessens his trade value.

You've got to think Ariza will get better. I don't think he can play the role of #1 or 2, but if you can bring Yao back and AB continues to improve, I like Ariza long term as a Battier replacement.

Regardless of JR's performance, he's always been me-first to the extreme. He consistently does things that make you shake your head. It's hard to do anything with a guy who thinks he's a star but isn't anywhere close to that. Jack said he's as good as Kobe, while that's absurd, at least he's got some handles and can play D. JR's great at chucking at what else?

b_rad23
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
JR has handles and d when he wants to as well.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM

It's not just that, the Bobcats needed his attitude. He's not afraid to take shots and isn't afraid to miss. We needed someone like that. And not only is he a good offensive player, he's pretty good on defense as well, and that fits Charlotte and Larry Brown perfectly.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
It's not just that, the Bobcats needed his attitude. He's not afraid to take shots and isn't afraid to miss. We needed someone like that. And not only is he a good offensive player, he's pretty good on defense as well, and that fits Charlotte and Larry Brown perfectly.

Oh no doubt, don't get me wrong, I think Jack is a good player and fits Charlotte like a glove. I just meant that the Bobcats offense was so off that even his inefficient style (taking shots regardless of the consequences) was a big upgrade. I thought the move was a great one, not sure if he orchestrated it but MJ might be doing things right in the front office.

DerekRE_3
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh no doubt, don't get me wrong, I think Jack is a good player and fits Charlotte like a glove. I just meant that the Bobcats offense was so off that even his inefficient style (taking shots regardless of the consequences) was a big upgrade. I thought the move was a great one, not sure if he orchestrated it but MJ might be doing things right in the front office.

It was actually Rod Higgins. Despite what most people think MJ is not the GM, Higgins is. Larry Brown also had a ton of influence on the decisions.

Chronz
01-25-2010, 02:16 PM
You've got to think Ariza will get better. I don't think he can play the role of #1 or 2, but if you can bring Yao back and AB continues to improve, I like Ariza long term as a Battier replacement.
Thats the way I saw it too, its why Id rather trade Battier so that Ariza can go back to his natural role with JR taking over the playmaking load. The way the offense works I could see JR fitting in perfectly with Ariza.

But you mean keeping Ariza INSTEAD of Smith to which I say, Ariza at his best cant match JR Smith at his best. Ariza at his best commands the MLE, JR can atleast fetch double digits IMO.

Regardless of JR's performance, he's always been me-first to the extreme. He consistently does things that make you shake your head. It's hard to do anything with a guy who thinks he's a star but isn't anywhere close to that. Jack said he's as good as Kobe, while that's absurd, at least he's got some handles and can play D. JR's great at chucking at what else?

Ive always hated his demeanor but the kid is mega talented. And I dont really blame him for getting upset, hes waited patiently for years for Karl to give him PT. Now his play of late hasnt warranted it but his track record speaks for itself, he deserves a chance. And from everything Ive heard (from Den and the multitude of Nugget blogs) hes not a bad defender, maybe not Capn Jack good, but hes willing. And his playmaking abilities are nice. He can play the point in stretches, before the AI trade and even for awhile with Billups playing off the ball, Ive seen him handle the O and create easy scores. Its all predicated on his ability to score and if hes chucking all night and missing he needs to attack the rim. Same thing could be said of Ariza come to think about it.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Thats the way I saw it too, its why Id rather trade Battier so that Ariza can go back to his natural role with JR taking over the playmaking load. The way the offense works I could see JR fitting in perfectly with Ariza.

But you mean keeping Ariza INSTEAD of Smith to which I say, Ariza at his best cant match JR Smith at his best. Ariza at his best commands the MLE, JR can atleast fetch double digits IMO.

Ive always hated his demeanor but the kid is mega talented. And I dont really blame him for getting upset, hes waited patiently for years for Karl to give him PT. Now his play of late hasnt warranted it but his track record speaks for itself, he deserves a chance. And from everything Ive heard (from Den and the multitude of Nugget blogs) hes not a bad defender, maybe not Capn Jack good, but hes willing. And his playmaking abilities are nice. He can play the point in stretches, before the AI trade and even for awhile with Billups playing off the ball, Ive seen him handle the O and create easy scores. Its all predicated on his ability to score and if hes chucking all night and missing he needs to attack the rim. Same thing could be said of Ariza come to think about it.

Hmm, $10 mil for JR? I dunno, I know he's making around 6 but in this market I have a hard time seeing a team give out that much for someone so unpredictable. His situation reminds me a lot of Tyrus Thomas, kids that have so much potential but they think they already arrived and neither guy is someone I'd want to play alongside with.

I seem to have a strong recollection of many JR moments where he tries to drive out of control and makes a bad pass or takes a bad shot. He's always out of control but sometimes it's in a good way like when he takes 18 3's in 30 minutes and makes 11 of them, that's just absurd.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
It was actually Rod Higgins. Despite what most people think MJ is not the GM, Higgins is. Larry Brown also had a ton of influence on the decisions.

Awww, figures. I knew it was too good to be true. Mike would probably still be a better player at this age than GM.

Raoul Duke
01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
JR has handles and d when he wants to as well.

That's kind of his problem though. He should want to be a complete player all the freaking time. The most frustrating players are the ones who have the ability to be great, but who can't take the next step because they think they've arrived already. He obviously has loads of potential, but it might take a change of scenery to bring that potential out of him.

As much as I love Denver right now, I think they need to make a move to get over the hump. If they do, I really hope they elect to move Smith instead of Nene, because moving Nene is one of the silliest things they could do.

TheShock45
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM

the Worse the contract the better the talent you have to give up to get rid of it.

To get rid of Matt harprings contract the Jazz had to give up Eric Maynor
for the Sixers to get rid of Brands AND Iguodalas contract they have to trade Andre Iggy.

I'm ****ing sick of people going Iguodala is your franchise player, **** the word franchise. Does Iguodala lead our team?? no Do the sixers feel confident in him having the ball at the final seconds of the clock?? barely. Does Iguodala sell jerseys across the nation?? no he doesnt

He's not our franchise player, we brought him in to complement Iverson in his prime it was a wasted pick and because we didnt want to lose him to free agency, we overpaid to keep him. We're like the freaking mets with that business move.

Stop calling iguodala our franchise player because he's not and his contract is killing our team, i rather wait another year or 2 when Thad takes over those reigns.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM
the Worse the contract the better the talent you have to give up to get rid of it.

To get rid of Matt harprings contract the Jazz had to give up Eric Maynor
for the Sixers to get rid of Brands AND Iguodalas contract they have to trade Andre Iggy.

I'm ****ing sick of people going Iguodala is your franchise player, **** the word franchise. Does Iguodala lead our team?? no Do the sixers feel confident in him having the ball at the final seconds of the clock?? barely. Does Iguodala sell jerseys across the nation?? no he doesnt

He's not our franchise player, we brought him in to complement Iverson in his prime it was a wasted pick and because we didnt want to lose him to free agency, we overpaid to keep him. We're like the freaking mets with that business move.

Stop calling iguodala our franchise player because he's not and his contract is killing our team, i rather wait another year or 2 when Thad takes over those reigns.

I don't think Iguodala's contract is bad and he's a great player. He's not a primary scorer but that doesn't mean you overpaid.

TheWatcher34
01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
JR's pretty dumb. he's a distraction. i wouldnt want him on my team.

TheShock45
01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't think Iguodala's contract is bad and he's a great player. He's not a primary scorer but that doesn't mean you overpaid.

thats the thing tho, If he's not your number 1 option why pay him like one. I think he Iguodala belongs on a team like the Mavericks where he's the 2nd or 3rd option and they dont mind spending the money.

Jays Claw
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
The Raptors better stay away from J.R Smith.

ChiSox219
01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
thats the thing tho, If he's not your number 1 option why pay him like one. I think he Iguodala belongs on a team like the Mavericks where he's the 2nd or 3rd option and they dont mind spending the money.

I don't think he's be paid as a #1, his salary is right in line with good #2's. I mean Luol Deng has a similar contract and I think both guys are comparable, solid offensive games and really good defense, but can't take over a game.

If you guys only wanted expirings for him and Brand, I think the Bulls would have to strongly consider it.

Something like this: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfad8a8

Or throw in Salmons but he's likely to pickup his option next year.

TheShock45
01-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think he's be paid as a #1, his salary is right in line with good #2's. I mean Luol Deng has a similar contract and I think both guys are comparable, solid offensive games and really good defense, but can't take over a game.

If you guys only wanted expirings for him and Brand, I think the Bulls would have to strongly consider it.

Something like this: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfad8a8

Or throw in Salmons but he's likely to pickup his option next year.

honestly throw in a 1st round pick and I would accept it, This team is just not clickin and I think we could be alot better with Speights and Thad as 1 &2 options next year than we will be with iggy and brand. Im repeating myself but having Thad and Speights lead and gel with Jrue, Jason Smith and Lou Williams along with whoever we draft is just the best way to go.I dont even really want the money so the sixers can use it on big free agents, just sign solid players and get a great coach like avery johnson or jeff van gundy

Also John Salmons is good but when we had him he did nothing haha some basketball fans actually never knew he was on the sixers which is amazing because it was only like 3 or 4 years ago haha

smuffins353
01-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Shane Battier for JR Smith......hands down best deal for both teams

loufor2
01-25-2010, 11:01 PM

a talented player who is certainly not a star and is boarderline ********
? would that fit the bill?

DenButsu
01-25-2010, 11:18 PM
boarderline ********

:rolleyes:

vash9
01-26-2010, 02:59 AM
J.R. Smith for

anyone on the Nets other than Haris, CDR, Lopez.

yep.

Chronz
01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm, $10 mil for JR? I dunno, I know he's making around 6 but in this market I have a hard time seeing a team give out that much for someone so unpredictable. His situation reminds me a lot of Tyrus Thomas, kids that have so much potential but they think they already arrived and neither guy is someone I'd want to play alongside with.

I seem to have a strong recollection of many JR moments where he tries to drive out of control and makes a bad pass or takes a bad shot. He's always out of control but sometimes it's in a good way like when he takes 18 3's in 30 minutes and makes 11 of them, that's just absurd.
Tyrus is another guy I see mentioned in that group, pretty sure hes undervalued by fans though he would command more than Ariza as well. Id have JR a notch above him, unlike Tyrus, JR has proven himself in the playoffs, and his tangible worth is easier to dissect.

--
That to me speaks to his versatility, he can go off in a bomber role or as a scorer. Though his most known strength is his shooting, check some of these yts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chgV1Opjr74

From last years WCF, seems like a mundane pass but Im sure you being an Odom backer know that those passes simply dont get by him. He usually picks them up, he either had no idea JR could/would pass, or that he had no angle available, either way its the kind of pass that makes you remember/gameplan for next time.

There are numerous highlights that I wont shower you with but....
sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmEPwMke2sA

One of the better individual scouting reports from a fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIMlmRjkeWU

Illustrates the evolution of his game, more specifically his passing. Again just give him some time, by the end of the year he should be where he always is.

teckmunny
01-26-2010, 03:28 PM
trade him to the lakers! we will give u sasha and morrison for him straight up! aahh geah!!!

StrandedCub
01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
J.R. Smith for

anyone on the Nets other than Haris, CDR, Lopez.

yep.

Who is left then? lol

MiamiHeat
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Who is left then? lol

Chris Quinn

JWO35
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
JR Smith, and filler for Richard Hamilton

DenButsu
01-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Now that is a tempting pitch.

pd7631
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
JR Smith, and filler for Richard Hamilton

this one seems to make the most sense

PHX2daDEATH
01-26-2010, 07:01 PM
The best deal for JR Smith..? trade him to the state pen where he belongs

cmellofan15
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
The best deal for JR Smith..? trade him to the state pen where he belongs

omg!!! lmao!!111!!! youreee so helarious!!1111!!!

is someone still upset about that loss the Suns took to Denver in December?

Nirvanaskurdt
01-26-2010, 07:31 PM

You mean the game in Denver that the refs totally blew by not giving Nash a call at the end on an obvious foul.. but giving the nuggets every call? :rolleyes:

Nope.. we're more upset about losing games we have the lead for about 40 minutes of the game just to lose in in the last 8..:facepalm: which happens alot to the suns this year :(

On the topic.. I think JR will stay in Denver :)

PHX2daDEATH
01-26-2010, 07:37 PM

we got 20 losses im upset about, I say the same thing about J-Rich too.. who drove 90 with his kid in the back seat with no restraints.. only difference is nobody got killed..

PHX2daDEATH
01-26-2010, 07:39 PM
You mean the game in Denver that the refs totally blew by not giving Nash a call at the end on an obvious foul.. but giving the nuggets every call? :rolleyes:

Nope.. we're more upset about losing games we have the lead for about 40 minutes of the game just to lose in in the last 8..:facepalm: which happens alot to the suns this year :(

On the topic.. I think JR will stay in Denver :)

the refs have screwed the Suns a lot this year..

smith&wesson
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM
I Think he would be a good fit in clevland. maybe delonte west for jr smith ??

lebron needs some one to share the scoring load and jr could start with the cavs. which is why he is upset in the first place because of lack of minutes.

Stunner
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Tyrus and Pargo for Jr. Smith?

IversonIsKrazy
01-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Richard Jefferson 4 JR Smith.

Salmons 4 JR.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 01:57 AM
FWIW Broussard reported on twitter that the Nuggets absolutely will not trade J.R. before the deadline. So that probably pretty much renders this thread moot.

JOSKOMANG4
01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

I agree with you 100% but I also believe its highly unlikely. Yes, salary cap wise, it's a win for the sixers, but I believe they can receive more value for AI23 in my opinion.

ldc62
01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
If the Nuggets can get Amare for JR + [Some other players to make things work] then it could work for both teams. Suns are obviously convinced Amare will not resign and JR fits their system.

xbrackattackx
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's funny people bashing the Iggy and Brand trade for Jr and Martin/Filler...Sorry but I think the Nugget's FO would do that in a heart beat to get Iggy on the nuggets who is way more dependable than JR.They get brand, but they also get better. If they could do it for Jr and expiring's for Iggy and Brand I would do it in a second. Cause you have to think Melo is a FA next summer might wanna build him a empire.

masalex1205
01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
if i was DEN I would do the hamilton trade

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I think it's funny people bashing the Iggy and Brand trade for Jr and Martin/Filler...Sorry but I think the Nugget's FO would do that in a heart beat to get Iggy on the nuggets who is way more dependable than JR.They get brand, but they also get better. If they could do it for Jr and expiring's for Iggy and Brand I would do it in a second. Cause you have to think Melo is a FA next summer might wanna build him a empire.

If you look at all the cost cutting moves Denver has made over the last couple of seasons (most notably the Camby salary dump), I think it's pretty clear that they wouldn't do that trade based simply on salary grounds. They've been waiting forever for the K-Mart contract to expire, and the light at the end of that tunnel is rapidly approaching. If he keeps playing at the level he's playing at now (11.5/9.0/2.0 on the season, but 14.3/11.2/2.5 in January and he's showing no signs of letting up now), he'll be an extremely valuable expiring next season. And while J.R. has his problems, the level of production they get from him (even as inconsistent as he can be) for the salary they're paying him is pretty damn nice. And they already have a formidable defender (and generally a rapidly improving player on both ends of the court) at the 2 in Arron Afflalo, so it's not like picking up a defensive 2 is any kind of urgent need.

The trade for Rip is much more realistic, imo.

DenButsu
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Just in case you're wondering, the Nuggets aren't interested in acquiring Hamilton.http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/27/hamilton-could-be-next-piston-from-glory-years-to-go/

I'm gonna go ahead and close this one up. It's pretty much run its course, and it looks like Denver has no interest in shipping J.R. out anyways.