PDA

View Full Version : Can Wall Turn the Nets Around?

elite_status
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
This is a hypothetical question.... but if the Nets drafted Wall with the 1st pick and they didn't get any MAJOR free agents (LeBron, Bosh Wade etc...), would he be enough to turn the franchise around?

I say yes. I've seen this guy play a couple of times and I think he's the real deal. He's gonna take the league by storm and become one of the top PGs soon enough.

Thoughts?

dandman1021
01-24-2010, 08:19 PM
he will be part of buildin it around....if they can get some good value in another position for Harris and they keep brook they should be good

TheWatcher34
01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
the transition from college to the NBA is huge! with that said and being a rookie in this league, i do not think that John Wall is capable of turning around a whole franchise all by himself in one season.
it might be that you give him time to develop and you surround him with talent...then we're talking about a realistic time frame from 2-4 years in order for the franchise to be a legit EC force again.

tp13baby
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
the transition from college to the NBA is huge! with that said and being a rookie in this league, i do not think that John Wall is capable of turning around a whole franchise all by himself in one season.
it might be that you give him time to develop and you surround him with talent...then we're talking about a realistic time frame from 2-4 years in order for the franchise to be a legit EC force again.

umm Carmelo made Denver a playoff team.
but they did add one or two players.

bctgg27
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Give him some time and he can help them. If they can trade Harris for Iguodala and sign Gay, then they have a good future. Not a good chance that Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, Johnson, or Boozer will sign there. Gay is the only likely one for he is young and still reaching his potential.

ManRam
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Wall and the fact that they have like 28 million dollars on the books for next year is going to help a lot. They have talent. Injuries kind of derailed them, and I think they've given up. Wall, and a big name free agent, or two, will really help. They could have a huge turnaround very easily.

DerekRE_3
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Little soon for this...considering they will have at best a 25% chance at the #1 pick.

RadiantShot
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
If the Nets don't land John Wall, I will LMFAO!

elite_status
01-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Little soon for this...considering they will have at best a 25% chance at the #1 pick.

That's why I said it was a hypothetical question.

wizardsfan3
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
it matters on the nba lottery, i would like to see him come to DC :pray:

DerekRE_3
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
That's why I said it was a hypothetical question.

It just seems like a question you would ask after the Nets win the lottery. It's basically a double what if question.

JasonJohnHorn
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
There is no single player that could turn the Nets around. Almost any all-star would improve them, but no single player in the NBA right now is capable of turning the Nets into playoff team let a lone a contender. Not even LBJ or Kobe could turn this team into a playoff team, Duncan maybe. Perhaps Wilt Chamberlain could have made them competative, or Hakeem, but the Nets current issues require much more than one player to really turn around.

PC
01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
If the Nets don't land John Wall, I will LMFAO!

The team with the worst record rarely gets the #1 pick

TheShock45
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
you need a third option,

No-John Wall WILL be a franchise player but A Top Coach will turn that team around regardless if they get Wall of not, they allready have the young talent to be good.

Devin Harris, Courtney Lee, Brook Lopez and whoever there 1st round pick is under a coach like Avery Johnson or Jeff Van Gundy will be a pretty nasty team to deal with.

ManRam
01-24-2010, 09:52 PM
There is no single player that could turn the Nets around. Almost any all-star would improve them, but no single player in the NBA right now is capable of turning the Nets into playoff team let a lone a contender. Not even LBJ or Kobe could turn this team into a playoff team, Duncan maybe. Perhaps Wilt Chamberlain could have made them competative, or Hakeem, but the Nets current issues require much more than one player to really turn around.

See...I disagree. They dealt with a boatload of injuries to start off the year, and played a lot of close games. They obviously didn't win any of them, but they gave some good efforts. I think they've just given up. How can you blame them? It's hard to get pumped when you know you have no chance at anything positive this year.

Lopez is an all-star. If not this year, very soon. Harris is a very good player. I think the two of them are arguably better than anything LeBron has in Cleveland (Lopez definitely is). Then they have some very good youth in CDR, Lee, Williams etc. Yi is putting up very good numbers. Boone is a nice player.

They have talent. It's just all young, and they really have nothing to play for. Their record doesn't accurately depict this team.

Raph12
01-24-2010, 09:54 PM
If they get Wall, they'll have a great franchise player to build around, they have Lopez at C, Yi at PF, more than enough cap to sign a big name player and they have Harris to trade for a SG/SF (whichever they don't sign) and they'd still have enough for a couple of solid role players.

Think about it, let's say they sign Joe Johnson (realistically) and trade Devin Harris for someone like Danny Granger:

PG - John Wall
SG - Joe Johnson
SF - Danny Granger
PF - Yi Jianlian
C - Brook Lopez

Now idk about you, that's a pretty damn good lineup to me. Of course this is all speculation, but if you think about how things could go with the right bounce of the balls, NJ could be contending as early as next season.

Becks2307
01-24-2010, 09:58 PM

lebron on the nets now is a better team (ON PAPER) than Lebron with the Cavs..real talk

td0tsfinest
01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
i am still trying to figure out what the Nets got in the VC trade.

And please don't say Courtney Lee.

JerseysFinest
01-24-2010, 11:16 PM
See...I disagree. They dealt with a boatload of injuries to start off the year, and played a lot of close games. They obviously didn't win any of them, but they gave some good efforts. I think they've just given up. How can you blame them? It's hard to get pumped when you know you have no chance at anything positive this year.

Lopez is an all-star. If not this year, very soon. Harris is a very good player. I think the two of them are arguably better than anything LeBron has in Cleveland (Lopez definitely is). Then they have some very good youth in CDR, Lee, Williams etc. Yi is putting up very good numbers. Boone is a nice player.

They have talent. It's just all young, and they really have nothing to play for. Their record doesn't accurately depict this team.

completely agree with this. from the start, they battled many injuries which basically plagued their season. this year is 4 development, and by years end, all the young guys would have improved and we would have a shot at getting a really good free agent.

Young and Stupid
01-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Cap Space.

ManRam
01-24-2010, 11:25 PM

They got to get rid of him ;)

Seriously though, why keep him? They weren't going anywhere with him. I think after this off-season we'll see that the Nets did a good job re-building. Moving Kidd and Jefferson was the first step, moving Vince was the second.

Essentially, they got Courtney Lee (will be a good player for a while) and got rid of Vince's 17-18 million dollar contract. They now have a ton of money to go after whoever they want this off-season. They also, since Vince isn't there to help them win, are going to get a very high pick.

It was a great trade for them IMO.

td0tsfinest
01-24-2010, 11:32 PM
They got to get rid of him ;)

Seriously though, why keep him? They weren't going anywhere with him. I think after this off-season we'll see that the Nets did a good job re-building. Moving Kidd and Jefferson was the first step, moving Vince was the second.

Essentially, they got Courtney Lee (will be a good player for a while) and got rid of Vince's 17-18 million dollar contract. They now have a ton of money to go after whoever they want this off-season. They also, since Vince isn't there to help them win, are going to get a very high pick.

It was a great trade for them IMO.

I understand the cap space reason and to start all over again. But you could have got something for Vince.

He's still a quality player, could have at least got a first rounder.

b_rad23
01-24-2010, 11:35 PM
not immediately. but he along with a max player will.

let's not fool ourselves. teams with cap that intend to spend it don't just not land players.

they'll add (at worst) great depth and fill their major holes. Wall and Lopez would be the best young duo in the league. devin harris would become a great trade chip to add more talent. CDR is a solid starter. t-will and c-lee are good wing defenders and role players.

they need to add a shooter, along with a high post scorer (be it a 3 or 4) with their max money. yi won't be terrible off the bench.

this team has decent ingredients. we'll be looking at them like okc in 2 years tops.

Kakaroach
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
They don't even have the first pick yet, lets wait until the lotto to see if they get the first pick, and then if they draft Wall with it.

Raph12
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
They don't even have the first pick yet, lets wait until the lotto to see if they get the first pick, and then if they draft Wall with it.

Who would you draft over John Wall?!?!?!

WSU Tony
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM
I guess the question isn't whether they'll get him (since they're the only big market team in the high lottery) it's whether he'll make a difference.

td0tsfinest
01-25-2010, 12:03 AM
I think Wall is being vastly overrated.

He's a good player and will be a good player in this league. But people are giving him the unrealistic expectation of being a Saviour.

He won't be able to turn that team around. But I think, Wall, along with Brook Lopez and a few other additions to this team will make them very solid.

But that's if they get Wall.

When was the last time the worst team in the league got the 1st overall pick?

J4KOP99
01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
A literal wall is the only thing that can turn the Nets around...

st3voness
01-25-2010, 02:09 AM
The 1st pick is going to go to some team with like a 1.7% chance of winning again.

GoatMilk
01-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Pacers will get the no. 1 pick

xabial
01-25-2010, 03:07 AM
The only hope for the nets is a Max Fa. 3-40 is so bad a rookie cant turn it around himself. Not even the Nets Young Core can Help. I hope the franchise bounces back next year.

tkshy
01-25-2010, 03:08 AM
I didn't answer because you are missing a key option. Will the Nets win the lottery. The have been losing everything this season, what makes you think they will win the lottery?

G-Bay New J
01-25-2010, 03:09 AM
I always liked the idea of the lottery. That has changed now that my team is the worst in the league and we only have a 25% chance at Wall. Plus with our luck I guarantee we don't get it...

arkanian215
01-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Sorry not even MJ in his prime could save these Nets.

kozelkid
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Nets aren't as bad as they simply have HUGE holes. Devin Harris and Brook Lopez are 2 quality players. The rest of the roster blows. Put in role players for the rest of the positions and they could make the playoffs in the East.

runforrestrunx9
01-25-2010, 07:43 PM
walls goin 2 the sixers and he will be a franchise player

Fresno
01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
John Wall himself cant turn the Nets around.

I dont think he will be a unanimous Franchise player on the level of a Nash, CP3, or Deron at PG but I think he will become a star in the NBA.

vash9
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Devin Harris/John Wall (if we do get the #1 pick)
John Wall/Devin Harris
CDR
Kris Humphries/Yi
Brook Lopez

i think that's a solid lineup.

And even more fantasizing:

Devin Harris
John Wall
Lebron James
Yi/Humphries
Lopez

sixth man: CDR
Roles: T-Will and C.Lee.

Devin has 2 wing players who can both dunk like crazy, and his "willingness" to give up the ball when he see's a good opening. I think that'll work out great.

BUUUUT, honestly, i don't see Wall turning the Nets completely around. If he can do something like JKidd did when he arrived here, then i'll shut my mouth, but we'll wait and see if we even get the guy first.

GOON MUSIC
01-26-2010, 07:59 AM

lebron would make that team top 4 seed

and whoevers coachin next year would win coach of the year

effen5
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I think Wall is being vastly overrated.

He's a good player and will be a good player in this league. But people are giving him the unrealistic expectation of being a Saviour.

He won't be able to turn that team around. But I think, Wall, along with Brook Lopez and a few other additions to this team will make them very solid.

But that's if they get Wall.

When was the last time the worst team in the league got the 1st overall pick?

x2

avrpatsfan
01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
if they get a big free agent+Wall (Lebron,Wade ect) they could be a contender for the playoffs.
Harris
Wall
Lopez
(Lebron/Wade)

Very Good IMO