PDA

View Full Version : Mavs very interested in Kevin Martin

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Josh Howard appears to be at the top of the trading block for the Dallas Mavericks who are seeking to solidify their roster in hopes for a deep playoff run.

The Mavs approached Sacramento about a Howard, J.J. Berea, and Drew Gooden for Kevin Martin and Andres Nocioni swap, but the Kings appear to want to hold onto Martin until the summer. Other players mentioned in Howard trade talks include Andre Iguodala and Caron Butler.

If Dallas acquired Martin, Iggy, or Butler, would they realistically challenge the Lakers in the west?

Despite Josh Howard only playing 21 games and averaging only 12.5 ppg for the season, Dallas stands at the 2nd seed in the west. If they traded for any of the 3 players listed they would improve imensely.

Which player (Kevin Martin, Andre Iguadola, or Caron Butler) would be a better fit and help Dallas the most?

If the Martin trade went down, you're looking at:

Jason Kidd
Kevin Martin
Shawn Marion
Dirk Nowitzki
Erick Dampier

6th man Jason Terry

Here's an ESPN source: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4848601

still1ballin
01-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Surprised you posted this Mavrix knowing your crush on Josh Howard, even when he is "offensively better than Gasol." Shouldn't you oppose this and back up your favorite player in Josh Howard

Dallas can make all the trades they want, IMO they are no threat to the Lakers.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Surprised you posted this Mavrix knowing your crush on Josh Howard, even when he is "offensively better than Gasol." Shouldn't you oppose this and back up your favorite player in Josh Howard

Your posts are incredibly insightful. One of the most articulate I've come across. :facepalm:

Chronz
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Yeah this is the kind of player they need, but with only Damp as your center I dont know how much of a contender you are.

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
caron butler is the best fit without a doubt. caron can create off the ball and has huge atheltitcism. well if yu want someone yunger with no d and more scoring get k mart. if yu want in the middle, get igoudala, but remember igoudala plays 40 min to be effective. if yu play him 40 min. than there isnt gonna be enough time for jet. so get caron .

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah this is the kind of player they need, but with only Damp as your center I dont know how much of a contender you are.

why did the mavs overpay for dampier when he literalyl has no OFFENSIVE GAME.

the mavs should sign marcus camby next year.. and get one of those guys. yu guys can challenge the lakers IMO

. juss put marion on kobe and hope he does a good job :P

still1ballin
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Your posts are incredibly insightful. One of the most articulate I've come across. :facepalm:

Thanks man:)

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
caron butler is the best fit without a doubt. caron can create off the ball and has huge atheltitcism. well if yu want someone yunger with no d and more scoring get k mart. if yu want in the middle, get igoudala, but remember igoudala plays 40 min to be effective. if yu play him 40 min. than there isnt gonna be enough time for jet. so get caron .

Iggy can play the 3 as well and would most likely split time at SG and SF

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
why did the mavs overpay for dampier when he literalyl has no OFFENSIVE GAME.

the mavs should sign marcus camby next year.. and get one of those guys. yu guys can challenge the lakers IMO

. juss put marion on kobe and hope he does a good job :P

Because he averaged 12 and 12 with a couple of bpg and seemed promising in GS..but Dallas didn't get him for his offense, they obviously got him for his D.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks man:)

:crazy:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
one glass-man for another? fair enough... why not trade for Mike Redd why'll theyre at it?

Chacarron
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
I think it would be interesting certainly to say the least if the Mavs acquired Kevin Martin. He is another 3-point threat for you guys but just be concerned because he's had injury problems. If a deal happens for the Mavs, it will just make the Western Conference Finals against the Lakers more interesting.

Avenged
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Kevin Martin? I think the Mavs would benefit more with Nocioni. Caron Butler would be a better fit.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
H-Town Get Down!! Houstone TX's!!

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 04:19 PM
one glass-man for another? fair enough... why not trade for Mike Redd why'll theyre at it?

Lol at the Redd and Martin comparison...a 26 year old who hasn't hit his peak compared to a 30 year old averaging 11.9ppg :facepalm:

Shady66
01-22-2010, 04:33 PM
They should go after iggy. He would be great with Kidd and also Anglos defender

jim51990
01-22-2010, 04:38 PM
the lakers will not make the finals dallas, the spurs, or denver will represent the west book it

still1ballin
01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
the lakers will not make the finals dallas, the spurs, or denver will represent the west book it

:facepalm:

cheerio
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
H-Town Get Down!! Houstone TX's!!

stipe1280
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Just doing my part to overuse the facepalm avatar.

Back to the point, I'd rather have Butler or Iggy honestly.

still1ballin
01-22-2010, 04:50 PM

DerekRE_3
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Kevin Martin? I think the Mavs would benefit more with Nocioni. Caron Butler would be a better fit.

Nocioni is absolute garbage. I'd trade him for a bag of chips, or Jerome James, just to get him the hell off of the Kings. He is an absolute certified hack.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
UPDATE: One source close to the situation said Friday that the Mavs would have no interest in a Martin deal if the Kings insisted they take on an additional player with a long-term contract such as Nocioni or Udrih.

It's believed that the Mavericks could also join the bidding for Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Washington's Caron Butler by putting Howard and his cap-friendly contract (next season's $11.8 million salary is a team option) on the table.

But there is some sentiment within the organization to keep Howard along with Erick Dampier (whose $13.1 million salary next season is fully unguaranteed) for the rest of this season, preserving them as a combo-pack of assets for an offseason trade splash.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=yks5rcy

Howard (11 MIL expiring) and rookie Rodrigue Beaubois (or Barea) + a future 1st rounder and cash for Kevin Martin would work...but I highly doubt the Kings would bite.

But imagine...

PG: Kidd - Barea
SG: Martin - Terry
SF: Marion - Ross
PF: Nowitzki - Thomas
C: Dampier - Gooden

...nasty

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 05:32 PM
The Mav's would need more than Maetin & Nocioni to compete with the lakers.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM
The Mav's would need more than Maetin & Nocioni to compete with the lakers.

Martin, Nowitzki, and Kidd would give them fits...trust me. And Marion is having a DPOY type of year.

DerekRE_3
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
UPDATE: One source close to the situation said Friday that the Mavs would have no interest in a Martin deal if the Kings insisted they take on an additional player with a long-term contract such as Nocioni or Udrih.

It's believed that the Mavericks could also join the bidding for Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala and Washington's Caron Butler by putting Howard and his cap-friendly contract (next season's $11.8 million salary is a team option) on the table.

But there is some sentiment within the organization to keep Howard along with Erick Dampier (whose $13.1 million salary next season is fully unguaranteed) for the rest of this season, preserving them as a combo-pack of assets for an offseason trade splash.

There's no way we trade Martin without dumping Noc with him, at least right now. Petrie wants to see how well Evans and Martin play together first, and they haven't played nearly enough games yet to determine that.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
There's no way we trade Martin without dumping Noc with him.

Are you the Kings FO?

DerekRE_3
01-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Are you the Kings FO?

Yes. I have Petrie's ear.

If the Kings trade Martin, it will be for a big, not a deal centered around Josh Howard. Swingmen are not something we need, in fact we have a ton of them.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes. I have Petrie's ear.

If the Kings trade Martin, it will be for a big, not a deal centered around Josh Howard. Swingmen is not something we need, in fact we have a ton of them.

:laugh:

Howard is an 11 mil expiring contract. The Kings could re-sign him next year for the mid-level...which would be huge if Howard stays healthy. He could easily give you guys 20 and 7 as the starting 3, and with the left over money you could sign someone like Haywood.

Udrih
Evans
Howard
Thompson
Haywood

That's a very solid team. Martin and Tyreke in the same back court is not going to work.

DerekRE_3
01-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Howard is an 11 mil expiring contract. The Kings could re-sign him next year for the mid-level...which would be huge if Howard stays healthy. He could easily give you guys 20 and 7 as the starting 3, and with the left over money you could sign someone like Haywood.

Udrih
Evans
Howard
Thompson
Haywood

That's a very solid team. Martin and Tyreke in the same back court is not going to work.

You don't know that, I don't know that, nobody knows that. Bottom line is the Kings have time to figure out if it will. What I do know is this: Tyreke Evans is great with the ball in his hands and is great at penetrating. Kevin Martin on the otherhand, is best moving without the ball and spotting up.

Anyways, I'm not arguing whether they can work or not anymore, especially with someone that doesn't watch the Kings that much, hasn't watched Kevin Martin closely for the past 5 years, and hasn't watched every single NBA game that Tyreke Evans has played.

JayAllDay
01-22-2010, 05:57 PM

I'm never ever that guy but that's ****ing amazing. I've seen the italicized part get wronged all the time, but in the bold is something I have never seen.

Anyways,

To respond to the thread:

A hungry man is reportedly greatly interested in a ham 'n cheese sandwich.

Honestly, unless the pieces change I don't see it happening.

goose15
01-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Butler is the best out of the three

Butler > Iggy > Martin

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Martin, Nowitzki, and Kidd would give them fits...trust me. And Marion is having a DPOY type of year.

That maybe true but the Lakers will still be deeper &you guys will still have no one who could match Kobe.It kills me to admit this because I hate the Lakers but anyway its not gonna happen ,I live out in Sactown & I'm listening to a local sports talk radio/TV show and a Kings insider said that they're not interested in that trade.

Mavrix
01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
That maybe true but the Lakers will still be deeper &you guys will still have no one who could match Kobe.It kills me to admit this because I hate the Lakers but anyway its not gonna happen ,I live out in Sactown & I'm listening to a local sports talk radio/TV show and a Kings insider said that they're not interested in that trade.

The Lakers aren't even deeper than this current team...their bench is HORRIBLE

FarOutIos
01-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Udrih
Evans
Howard
Thompson
Haywood

You seem to miss the point... the Kings have many swing potential players and do NOT need to trade a talented SG for another swing player. Makes no sense. What would Howard provide that Donte, Garcia and Omri don't also provide?

What many people fail to realize is that we have two possible great starters in Donte and Omri. Donte is playing greatly improved defense. He has incredible potential offensively- which is what he has always been known for. Omri is also very capable defensively and has great intangibles and offensive skills. Both play with much energy. In a year, BOTH will be better than what Howard is showing us at this point.

Thus, if the option is to keep Martin or get Howard... I keep Martin. He provides more of an offensive punch than any of the three players. Best shooter of all at this point... which will prove valuable when Tyreke gets defenses to collapse and leave the shooter wide open.

The inclusion of Beaubois does actually make any deal more interesting... he is a quick athletic guard that could work well with Tyreke. I would be interested to hear what Petrie thinks of his value.

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
The Lakers aren't even deeper than this current team...their bench is HORRIBLE

The trade ain't happening so its irrelevant.:cool:

$ NyC $
01-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Butler. He's a slasher, solid shooter, good defender, and is a tough veteran presence the Mavs could use. Would like to see this happen, Mavs could really make some noise, but i wouldn't see what's the point if they give up too much to get him.

MaHaRaJaH
01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Drew Gooden going back?

JLynn943
01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Nocioni is absolute garbage. I'd trade him for a bag of chips, or Jerome James, just to get him the hell off of the Kings. He is an absolute certified hack.

Exactly. I can't wait until some team decides to trade for him, thinking that he'll accept being a role player. Every time he's on the court I cringe.

MiamiHeat
01-22-2010, 09:22 PM
they won't get any

:shrug:

JJ_JKidd
01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I dont really care right now. After that loss to the Sixers I say that the mavs cant be considered contenders till they get Kobe or Lebron. Enough said!

LD555
01-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I would like to see the Mavs trade for a center. Dampier is too inconsistent for me to bet on in the postseason. The backcourt of Kidd, Terry, and Barea is good enough for me. Kidd is still pretty solid defensively and can still dish the rock better than anyone but Nash, Paul, and Deron. Barea's energy is contagious, and Terry can just flat out score. Marion is still a great player even though his stats this year would make ya think otherwise. So why trade for more depth there when that isn't their problem. Look at just about every great team(besides Jordan's Bulls cause Cartwright blew) and they have at least one great post player. Now Dirk is my favorite player and the Mavs are my team, but we need a guy who can control the paint offensively and defensively. Dirk is better at perimeter and mid-range shots. He does decent getting boards but then again he is 7'. They need to trade Howard to the Cavs for Varejao or to the Clippers for Kaman/Camby(one or the other). Trade him in a package deal for David Lee or to the T-Wolves for Jefferson. They were talking of trading them at one point anyway. Regardless, anyone of those guys provides better depth in the paint which helps us become a more complete team. We would get better with Martin for sure, but still wouldn't help as much as finally having someone in the paint to do some damage.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I would like to see the Mavs trade for a center. Dampier is too inconsistent for me to bet on in the postseason. The backcourt of Kidd, Terry, and Barea is good enough for me. Kidd is still pretty solid defensively and can still dish the rock better than anyone but Nash, Paul, and Deron. Barea's energy is contagious, and Terry can just flat out score. Marion is still a great player even though his stats this year would make ya think otherwise. So why trade for more depth there when that isn't their problem. Look at just about every great team(besides Jordan's Bulls cause Cartwright blew) and they have at least one great post player. Now Dirk is my favorite player and the Mavs are my team, but we need a guy who can control the paint offensively and defensively. Dirk is better at perimeter and mid-range shots. He does decent getting boards but then again he is 7'. They need to trade Howard to the Cavs for Varejao or to the Clippers for Kaman/Camby(one or the other). Trade him in a package deal for David Lee or to the T-Wolves for Jefferson. They were talking of trading them at one point anyway. Regardless, anyone of those guys provides better depth in the paint which helps us become a more complete team. We would get better with Martin for sure, but still wouldn't help as much as finally having someone in the paint to do some damage.Agreed 100%. Dallas needs a post player and Jefferson would be a perfect fit. The Wolves already proposed a Jefferson for Granger deal so I wonder if a Josh Howard, Gooden, and Barea + a pick or 2 for Jefferson and Gomes would make them bite.

C: Jefferson
PF: Nowitzki
SF: Marion
SG: Terry
PG: Kidd

TEXASTITAN
01-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Your not getting iggy so flush that dream down the toilet and everyone in the league would love to have martin. Butler isn't going to push any contender over the top. But for a team that was blown out by the raptors by 22 and lost to philly by 11 and you claim they are the best or second best team in the west they need major help because they aren't even close.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Your not getting iggy so flush that dream down the toilet and everyone in the league would love to have martin. Butler isn't going to push any contender over the top. But for a team that was blown out by the raptors by 22 and lost to philly by 11 and you claim they are the best or second best team in the west they need major help because they aren't even close.

Both games were on the road...you're not going to win every road game.

ko8e24
01-23-2010, 12:23 AM
The Mavs need a center.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 12:25 AM
The Mavs need a center.

Exactly.

thedfactor
01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
The Mavs need a center.And a SG

wileyisTOFU
01-23-2010, 12:34 AM
If Dallas acquired Martin, Iggy, or Butler, would they realistically challenge the Lakers in the west?

Despite Josh Howard only playing 21 games and averaging only 12.5 ppg for the season, Dallas stands at the 2nd seed in the west. If they traded for any of the 3 players listed they would improve imensely.

Which player (Kevin Martin, Andre Iguadola, or Caron Butler) would be a better fit and help Dallas the most?

If the Martin trade went down, you're looking at:

Jason Kidd
Kevin Martin
Shawn Marion
Dirk Nowitzki
Erick Dampier

6th man Jason Terry

Here's an ESPN source: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=4848601

better yall then the rockets

Spurred1
01-23-2010, 01:31 AM
I would like to see the Mavs trade for a center. Dampier is too inconsistent for me to bet on in the postseason. The backcourt of Kidd, Terry, and Barea is good enough for me. Kidd is still pretty solid defensively and can still dish the rock better than anyone but Nash, Paul, and Deron. Barea's energy is contagious, and Terry can just flat out score. Marion is still a great player even though his stats this year would make ya think otherwise. So why trade for more depth there when that isn't their problem. Look at just about every great team(besides Jordan's Bulls cause Cartwright blew) and they have at least one great post player. Now Dirk is my favorite player and the Mavs are my team, but we need a guy who can control the paint offensively and defensively. Dirk is better at perimeter and mid-range shots. He does decent getting boards but then again he is 7'. They need to trade Howard to the Cavs for Varejao or to the Clippers for Kaman/Camby(one or the other). Trade him in a package deal for David Lee or to the T-Wolves for Jefferson. They were talking of trading them at one point anyway. Regardless, anyone of those guys provides better depth in the paint which helps us become a more complete team. We would get better with Martin for sure, but still wouldn't help as much as finally having someone in the paint to do some damage.

1. Agree on Damp-I think he is reverting to pre contract whore Damp right now. His play has taken a turn for the worse.
2. JJB/Terry/Kidd should never be on the court at the same time. Two of those guys are defensive liabilities. The three guard lineup is not one of Carlisle's better ideas. Too bad JJB's energy can't make him taller. Guys just shoot right over him. He's a nice little sparkplug off the bench who needs very limited minutes.
3. Terry might be emerging from a slump. But he hasn't been flat out scoring this year. Part of the problem.
4. A center would be terrific. Kaman/Camby would be ideal, but Clips aren't likely to trade any bigs while Griffin is out.

My guess is that nothing happens.

Spurred1
01-23-2010, 01:33 AM
The Mavs need a center.

Desperately

_KB24_
01-23-2010, 02:00 AM
The Mavs need a center.

According to some Mavs fans, you know who you are, Dampier is a "HUGE IMPACT" player. Who are the Mavs going to trade away. Certainly not Josh"more offensively talent than Gasol" Howard :rolleyes:

Young2Kinsler
01-23-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm not saying Martin is amazing, but it's weird to me how many people discount him on here.

still1ballin
01-23-2010, 02:07 AM
According to some Mavs fans, you know who you are, Dampier is a "HUGE IMPACT" player. Who are the Mavs going to trade away. Certainly not Josh"more offensively talent than Gasol" Howard :rolleyes:

:laugh2:

ldc62
01-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Way to stick with your boy Mavrix... If Josh Howard played like the year he made the ASG then hes way better than KM. I really doubt this trade will go through.

thedfactor
01-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Way to stick with your boy Mavrix... If Josh Howard played like the year he made the ASG then hes way better than KM. I really doubt this trade will go through.That is a huge IF, and imo that Howard no longer exists. He's done as a Maverick, best thing for him is a change of scenery and maybe then he can play somewhat better elsewhere.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 03:16 AM

The last 3 years he WAS a better offensive player. Ignorance is bliss. And Dampier is an impact player on the DEFENSIVE end, Dallas needs an offensive center who can play defense, I'm only writing this for the second or third time because you seem to lack the ability to read.

_KB24_
01-23-2010, 04:52 AM
The last 3 years he WAS a better offensive player. Ignorance is bliss. And Dampier is an impact player on the DEFENSIVE end, Dallas needs an offensive center who can play defense, I'm only writing this for the second or third time because you seem to lack the ability to read.

At no point in his career, was Josh Howard better than Gasol offensively. Dude, you know it. Even back then, you would trade Howard for Gasol in a heartbeat.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 05:06 AM
At no point in his career, was Josh Howard better than Gasol offensively. Dude, you know it. Even back then, you would trade Howard for Gasol in a heartbeat.

UH NO ****. Gasol's defense and rebounding > Howard's defense and rebounding, but no way in hell was Gasol better offensively as a 2nd option the last 3 years. Either agree to disagree, or give it up.

BlueJayFanDan
01-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I love Iggy and Caron almost as much as Martin but Martin is THE BEST PLAYER FOR THE MAVS TO GET. We desperatly need to add another shooter to the lineup. Martin is a shooter. I would love to bring in Iggy and Butler as well but to compete with the Lakers and Nuggets Martin is the answer. We have no one else that can score. Terry is awesome but inconsistent. Marion, Dampier, Kidd are not shooters. We need a guy who can shoot.

D-Amazins
01-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Butler would most def. be the best fit of the three since paired with Marion will make them a MUCH better defensive team.

#1Mavericksfan
01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Can there just be one thread where a Lakers player doesn't get brought up I mean damm, this thread has nothing about Lakers players but Lakers fans always find a way to bring up there players.

The Mavs are not gonna get a Center because I don't see no team in the NBA willing to part with there best big man at this point of the season, so if the Mavs can't get a center they should atleast go after a SG to fill that hole that's been there for so long.

kozelkid
01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know if this would make Mavs the best team, but they would certainly be the best offensive team. With that said, they are dumb imo if they aren't willing to take Noci's contract. Their time is ticking.
And I don't know where people get that Caron is a good fit. He's a sf, he can't play sg and needs the ball in his hands to play well, and with Kidd that's kinda hard... Martin is without a doubt the best fit.

showtym24
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Kevin Martin= 2nd most injury prone player in the L.

IversonIsKrazy
01-23-2010, 04:26 PM
This trade would be pretty amazing for Dallas. I know Howard has never came back from his 2006 performance (when dallas went to the finals). They would put up a fight against the Lakers, and it would actually be entertaining to watch.

0nekhmer
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Typical Laker's fan, having no respect for another team. This is the NBA dude, any team can beat any team on a given night.

still1ballin
01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Typical Laker's fan, having no respect for another team. This is the NBA dude, any team can beat any team on a given night.

and Who are you?:confused:

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Laker fans will never get it.

Mavrix
01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
and Who are you?:confused:

Your posts are so articulate man. I love your comebacks.

still1ballin
01-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Your posts are so articulate man. I love your comebacks.

I don't think I was talking to you now was I?

still1ballin
01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Laker fans will never get it.

Oh know we get it, he is right, any team can get beat on a given night....you should know a lot about that huh...Cough WARRIORS cough HEAT

tatertott2313
01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Nobody I've seen has thought to mention the cap ramifications for who the Mavs get in return for Howard's 11 million contract. I personally don't see any of these options as a good fit for the Mavs. AI's contract is atrocious at around 12.5 mill for somebody not putting up 20ppg. Butler is a good strong player averaging 17ppg with a 9.5 mill contract. But he is 29 and I've watched his play decrease over the last two season first hand (wiz fan) and I don't see as much of an improvement over Howard. Martin is making 9.5 mill at 26 yrs old and I don't believe there is enough ball to go around with him added to Dirk and company. Its a similar situation to the Wizards with an overdose of offensive before Arenas got the boot (not in anyway comparing the two teams, just type of situation). I think the Mavs would be better off looking for a defense first type player similar to Artest that can score if needed (such as battier). Just my opinion, a physical defensive presence would at least help come playoff time against kobe, carmello, roy, etc.

TEXASTITAN
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Both games were on the road...you're not going to win every road game.

Typical mavs fan looking to displace blame. I guess your going to blame landry for the losses incurred when dirk was hurt. Philly and toronto are horrible and road game or not no championship team to be would lose to scrubs like that by that much be a little realistic.

NiTEFuRY
01-23-2010, 07:15 PM
As an outsiders view, if they could get Iggy - thats a done deal.
Why would they trade Martin with 4 years left for Howard that is expiring?

TEXASTITAN
01-23-2010, 07:18 PM
All houston has to do is say when and iggy is on his way there way before the mavs have a shot at getting him. Everyone is waiting on tmacs expiring to be traded before any other big trades happen.

UD5soul
01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I say Butler, it has nothing to do with "fitting in" when you are a far superior overall player to either of the other players mentioned. Martin isn't consistent enough and doesn't play as well of D while Iggy "doesn't fit" as well and even though he blocks shots give me Butler and his D and ability to distribute the ball anyday.

UD5soul
01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Nobody I've seen has thought to mention the cap ramifications for who the Mavs get in return for Howard's 11 million contract. I personally don't see any of these options as a good fit for the Mavs. AI's contract is atrocious at around 12.5 mill for somebody not putting up 20ppg. Butler is a good strong player averaging 17ppg with a 9.5 mill contract. But he is 29 and I've watched his play decrease over the last two season first hand (wiz fan) and I don't see as much of an improvement over Howard. Martin is making 9.5 mill at 26 yrs old and I don't believe there is enough ball to go around with him added to Dirk and company. Its a similar situation to the Wizards with an overdose of offensive before Arenas got the boot (not in anyway comparing the two teams, just type of situation). I think the Mavs would be better off looking for a defense first type player similar to Artest that can score if needed (such as battier). Just my opinion, a physical defensive presence would at least help come playoff time against kobe, carmello, roy, etc.

As a Wiz fan you don't think Butler is that type of guy? You don't think he can D up Kobe? I think he can... at least better than anybody mentioned or anybody available... (that's the key remember)

nysportsfan30
01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Butler>Kmart

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:20 AM
I don't think I was talking to you now was I?

Do I give 2 *****?

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Oh know we get it, he is right, any team can get beat on a given night....you should know a lot about that huh...Cough WARRIORS cough HEAT

We never lost to the Heat smart one, but let me cough on your face real quick...cough CLIPPERS hahahaha so sad.

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:26 AM
Typical mavs fan looking to displace blame. I guess your going to blame landry for the losses incurred when dirk was hurt. Philly and toronto are horrible and road game or not no championship team to be would lose to scrubs like that by that much be a little realistic.

Yes, it's displacing blame to say you're not going to win every road game. :facepalm:

I'll take the loss against Houston although it was poorly officiated but I'll always remember the 2 BLOWOUTS we gave Houston, especially because I was at one of them.

still1ballin
01-24-2010, 01:27 AM
We never lost to the Heat smart one, but let me cough on your face real quick...cough CLIPPERS hahahaha so sad.

Heat? Finals? Warriors? 1st round? Wow, I cannot believe you didn't catch that! LMFAO

still1ballin
01-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Do I give 2 *****?

I could care less if you do or don't. The fact is, is that I was not speaking directly to you. Comprende amigo?

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:34 AM
I could care less if you do or don't. The fact is, is that I was not speaking directly to you. Comprende amigo?

The real fact is, I don't give 2 *****. I repeat, I don't give 2 *****. And I don't care if you care or not, I'll talk to you all day every day and you're a nobody to tell me otherwise. Comprende homie?

still1ballin
01-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Boston in 2007 LMFAO, who gives a **** about the past, this is the present and we're talking about the future. Stop talking about **** that's irrelevant.

HAHA Good one..At least we got beat by an elite team and not by a 8th seed team that took out a 67 win team haha.

Oh, okay this is the present....Lakers are defending champs in case you forgot.

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:36 AM
HAHA Good one...Oh, okay this is the present....Lakers are defending champs in case you forgot.

Champs when? 2009? Last time I checked it's 2010 and none of the teams are the same as last year, in case you forgot.

still1ballin
01-24-2010, 01:37 AM
The real fact is, I don't give 2 *****. I repeat, I don't give 2 *****. And I don't care if you care or not, I'll talk to you all day every day and you're a nobody to tell me otherwise. Comprende homie?

Oh man, I love chatting with you, you give me so many laughs. I hope this never ends. :laugh2:

Mavrix
01-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Oh man, I love chatting with you, you give me so many laughs. I hope this never ends. :laugh2:

:)

still1ballin
01-24-2010, 01:42 AM
You're missing the point. :facepalm:

I know the point, but your making it seem that because its 2010, and Lakers winning it last year, that its irrevalent because its in the past.

RaptorizedKevin
01-24-2010, 01:54 AM
I know the point, but your making it seem that because its 2010, and Lakers winning it last year, that its irrevalent because its in the past.

it is the past, do yu hear bulls fans still bragging bout MJ? no theyre boastinb bout rose now. :facepalm:

JermanJaysFan
01-24-2010, 02:49 AM
I think Butler would be a much better fit than Martin. He doesn't require so much ball as Martin to be effective, and on a team with Kidd/Terry/Nowitzki, that is only a good thing. Also, Butler adds much more legitimacy defensive lineup of Kidd/Terry/Butler/Marion/Dirk than Martin would in the same spot.

st3voness
01-24-2010, 03:08 AM

Does being an absolute douchebag come with the territory of being a Laker fan or is it just you?

mrblisterdundee
01-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Andre Igoudala is probably the best choice. He can help distribute the ball with Jason Kidd. Igoudala and Shawn Marion would comprise one of the most freakishly athletic combos of a small forward and shooting guard. I don't think Ron Artest and Kobe Bryant could stop the athleticism of Igoudala and Marion.

LD555
01-24-2010, 03:38 AM
I noticed some of these comments about how good the Mavs are in comparison to the Lakers and I just wanted to get in on that. Somebody mentioned about the Mavs losing to the Sixers and Raptors like that ultimately insinuates that they are a non-contender. Well every team loses at some point and at times by big margins, but that doesn't mean that they are a crappy team. The Lakers lost every game this year to the Cavs, but I don't think that actually means that the Cavs are better. It is always a different story when the postseason comes around. Now the Mavs don't have anyone to guard Kobe, but who does. I hate the guy cause he is one arrogant terd, but he can play this game. So forget him cause all you can do is double team him. The only area where the Lakers are far superior than the Mavs is in the paint. Gasol can dominate any defender the Mavs have, and because of that it opens the perimeter for their sharpshooters. Until they address that problem then yeah the Lakers are the SLIGHTLY better team. I am a Mavs fan and would love to see them win the title but it might not happen till they bring in a better guy in the paint. Then again--ya ever heard of an upset?

Lost Art
01-24-2010, 03:38 AM
The problem is, there are diminishing marginal returns when you add another offensive player to a team that is already stacked offensively. You'd think that adding another 25 ppg player to a contending team would make a big diffence, but the truth is that there probably isn't enough basketball to go around and it might actually make your team worse or cause some conflict in the locker room as guys might not get the desired amount of shot attempts. My Lakers are dealing with this a bit this season, we almost have too many good players. Sometimes I think we'd be better off if we had signed Odom OR Artest and not both, there would be more minutes and touches to go around and we wouldn't have to worry so much about getting everyone involved.

Adding a big time player benefits bad teams more than good teams IMO.

UD5soul
01-24-2010, 03:58 AM
The problem is, there are diminishing marginal returns when you add another offensive player to a team that is already stacked offensively. You'd think that adding another 25 ppg player to a contending team would make a big diffence, but the truth is that there probably isn't enough basketball to go around and it might actually make your team worse or cause some conflict in the locker room as guys might not get the desired amount of shot attempts. My Lakers are dealing with this a bit this season, we almost have too many good players. Sometimes I think we'd be better off if we had signed Odom OR Artest and not both, there would be more minutes and touches to go around and we wouldn't have to worry so much about getting everyone involved.

Adding a big time player benefits bad teams more than good teams IMO.

You guys should have resigned Odom and the kid who went to Houston and ignored Artest. Why would a team let a blossoming youth go to sign an aging problematic Veteran when the team is coming off a Championship year? I just don't get it, I now Artest comes with a certain level of intensity and has proven to be a solid player (especially with his contributions last year in Houston) but the guy is still an aging hot head, and to let Ariza go when he was just starting to blow up was a tragedy.

Lakers should have resigned their players and let Bynum Kobe and Gasol get healthy, they would be a lock for the finals again... instead they got Artest, who has "unfortunate accidents" like falling down the stairs drunk on Christmas and injuring himself..... Please....

Ebbs
01-24-2010, 04:07 AM
I dont know, I kind of like are chances now. Barea is a nice prospect and Gooden is a good fit in limited miniutes. Plus when Howard is healthy he is allstar capable. If we were to make a deal I would want Igoudala great all around player, then Kevin Martin whose a good scorer but not much else.

vash9
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
it would be a major threat if K-Mart arrived in his healthy state.

GodsSon
01-24-2010, 02:12 PM
not sure Martin will help Dallas achieve more success