PDA

View Full Version : Did Iverson Start the Sleeve Trend?

arkanian215
01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
It's popular on all levels of basketball. I don't recall anyone wearing a sleeve earlier than Allen Iverson.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/iverson.jpg
http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=218

The pics show him having it in 2001.

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
maybe. i wear one in school :D

amoore87
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
yup

Somewaffles
01-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, i believe he was the first. I have heard that the leauge made him wear it because he a few tattoos that were controversial but i don't have any sources backing that up.

arkanian215
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Yes, i believe he was the first. I have heard that the leauge made him wear it because he a few tattoos that were controversial but i don't have any sources backing that up.

Yeah that's what I thought. I thought the league said one of his tattoos was inappropriate or something and made him wear that. People claim it warms the shooting arm.

asandhu23
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Yep, just like how Wilt Chamberlain brought headbands and wristbands from volleyball into basketball which led to people in other sports wearing them.

Btw who brought afros in NBA?

NetsPaint
01-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Either way, I'm glad Iverson kept it.

Is he the first NBA player to have cornrows?

cheerio
01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
absolutely did

SirCarlton
The league did make him wear the sleeve because of a tattoo. The tat in question is a black panther paying homage to the group and the league treated it just as if they would if a white player had a swastika.

SirCarlton
also in recent video games you can take the sleeve off and see the panther..though i'm not sure if it works in 2k10 or not

Raph12
01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Iverson made the sleeve, the #3, cornrows, tattoos, crossovers and scoring (by undersized players) popular... Like I said in another thread, he was one of the pioneers of the league.

MiamiHeat
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
yeah he did, it was to cover up his tattoos

SteveNash
01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Iverson made the sleeve,

Not really basketball related.

the #3,

cornrows,

tattoos,

crossovers

Tim Hardaway.

and scoring (by undersized players) popular... Like I said in another thread, he was one of the pioneers of the league.

Who are these undersized scorers that he influenced? The only thing AI ever did to change to game was playing a selfish kind of basketball with low shooting percentages.

Shady66
01-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes he did

$ NyC $
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Tim Hardaway.

Who are these undersized scorers that he influenced? The only thing AI ever did to change to game was playing a selfish kind of basketball with low shooting percentages.

Damn Stevie, your frolicking in a fountain of Haterade towards Iverson.

lotti51
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM
He definatly started it, and to this day he still wears it the best.

Ray_R
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, just like how Wilt Chamberlain brought headbands and wristbands from volleyball into basketball which led to people in other sports wearing them.

Btw who brought afros in NBA?

Jackie Moon

http://fashionsensei.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/jackie-moon.jpg

:clap:

JLynn943
01-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Tim Hardaway.

:facepalm:

JayAllDay
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Iverson made the sleeve, the #3, cornrows, tattoos, crossovers and scoring (by undersized players) popular... Like I said in another thread, he was one of the pioneers of the league.

I believe the sleeve was there to prevent tennis elbows shooting basketball. I wore back when I played to prevent my elbows from locking up.

I'd say #3 was pretty cool before Iverson. My favorite white baller is Rex Chapman who wore #3 I think throughout his career with several teams.

Cornrows... Iverson can take it even though I remember Latrell Sprewell more profoundly. Maybe it's because he choked a guy.

Dribblng... UTEP 2 Step is right

Scoring... even though Iverson won a MVP award, Isiah Thomas made little guys scoring pretty cool when I was growing up.

Iverson as awesome as he is, he really isn't a pioneer in my thought.

DenButsu
01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
also in recent video games you can take the sleeve off and see the panther..though i'm not sure if it works in 2k10 or not

This post makes me feel very satisfied with my not-playing-any-video-games lifestyle.

Kakaroach
01-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty sure he started it and still wears it the best.

Raph12
01-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Tim Hardaway.

He must have done something right for guys to want to copy him right?... thanks shutup now.

SteveNash
01-23-2010, 02:37 AM
He must have done something right for guys to want to copy him right?... thanks shutup now.

The rise of AI's popularity, the fall of the NBA's popularity. Hmm...

Ty Fast
01-23-2010, 02:45 AM
i think he wore it for a medical reason. it said that in a sportscentury documentary

Theanswer76
01-23-2010, 02:53 AM
Yea i heard it was a medical reason, and Ive also heard it was a tatoo coverup. Not really sure tho

chomaru
01-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I think John Stockton started the trend

DenButsu
01-23-2010, 03:01 AM

Oh, please. I think MJ's retirement had an impact more massive on the popularity of the NBA declining than anything AI could have done. In his prime, AI put on a great show, and he was a big draw.

You're just going out of your way to bash him for no reason now. That's borderline at best.

CowboysKB24
01-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Yes, Allen did start the sleeve trend. He is a gangster basketball player who is a person.

Penetra8r
01-23-2010, 05:24 AM
I heard tattoo cover up... but I'm sure someone here can find out.

SteveNash
01-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Oh, please. I think MJ's retirement had an impact more massive on the popularity of the NBA declining than anything AI could have done. In his prime, AI put on a great show, and he was a big draw.

You're just going out of your way to bash him for no reason now. That's borderline at best.

Do you think Jordan would have been nearly as popular as he was if Jordan went and acted like a thug? NBA was desperately trying to find Jordan replacements, unfortunately the NBA and the people surrounding AI gave him too much power. They should have reeled in his childish act before it got out of hand, it took them 9 years of AI before realizing it.

Now, I'm not blaming all the ratings woes on AI. Certainly Jordan's retirement, the lockout, and the switch the ABC didn't help. All I'm saying is that AI could have made things better and to credit AI trying to bring thug culture into the NBA is really a slap in the face to all basketball players before him.

magichatnumber9
01-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I think AI did start the sleeve. But let me tell you that thing keeps your whole arm warm so you can shoot all day.

DenButsu
01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Now, I'm not blaming all the ratings woes on AI.

Yes, in fact, that's exactly what you were doing. So stop being disingenuous.

Your exact quote:

All I'm saying is that AI could have made things better and to credit AI trying to bring thug culture into the NBA is really a slap in the face to all basketball players before him.

"Thug culture"? Is that really where you want to take this conversation?

If so, then it's you bringing the pain. But if that's what you're into, then I'll be interested in hearing your definition of "thug culture", and who it does and does not apply to in the NBA.

tjlipford
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
He did in the 2000-2001 season. I remember they said he was wearing it because he had an inflamed elbow but then he just started wearing it all the time

SteveNash
01-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, in fact, that's exactly what you were doing. So stop being disingenuous.

Your exact quote:

If AI was such a contributor to the game the ratings would have been better simple as that.

You didn't see the ratings die after Magic and Bird's retirement because Jordan was there to pick up the slack. AI will become just a footnote in NBA history.

"Thug culture"? Is that really where you want to take this conversation?

If so, then it's you bringing the pain. But if that's what you're into, then I'll be interested in hearing your definition of "thug culture", and who it does and does not apply to in the NBA.

By thug culture I mean pretending or acting like a thug. Can you be a good person with cornrows and tattoos? Sure, but people will judge you and consider you to be a thug especially when you're a player like AI who abused his wife then went looking for her flashing guns at people. You think Jordan's popularity would have kept if he went and did things like that?

JayW_1023
01-24-2010, 07:30 AM
I think it's stupid. At one point Lamar Odom was wearing two arm sleeves, two leg sleeves and a brace. At one point NBA players went over the top with accessories. I'm glad it died down a bit.

Bashna
01-24-2010, 07:44 AM
he stole it from Baseball...Pitchers have been wearing those for decades.