PDA

View Full Version : Might the Pistons swap Prince for Memphis' Rudy Gay?

$ NyC $
01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100121/BLOG16/100121058/1051/SPORTS03/Might-the-Pistons-swap-Prince-for-Memphis-Rudy-Gay?

Although i think Rudy Gay is becoming a great player, i think this might actually be a good move for Memphis. They already have a lot of fire-power, but Prince would be that defender they need. It would open up more shots for Mayo/Gasol (Gasol is very under-rated) and this way they don't lose Gay 4 nothing. If the Pistons also throw in a pick it would be even better. What do you guys think?

masalex1205
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Not so sure, Prince is still good but he's on the decline

Gators123
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I heard Prince and a first rounder. I doubt it will happen though.

mikantsass
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd rather be on the Rudy side of the deal....

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
And how many games has Prince played this year?... Ummm no Thank you...A few years ago yes but no so much right now. Rudy is blossoming into a star. Prince is solid but no.

People seem to forget that is why we traded Rudy for Shane in the first place. We traded a solid vet for potential star power in Rudy. And it so far is working so why go back on it?

Unruly Fan
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Prince for R.Gay seems one sided.

JOSKOMANG4
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
To even sweeten the deal.. How would ppl feel about at Gay & Thabeet for Prince & picks swap??

Thabeet would pretty much become the starter in Detriot at center rather than finding a home for the Grizzles due to their frontcourt Log-jam. Gay would provide young versatility for the pistons.

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
PF) Maxiell/Wilcox/Jerebko
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

For the Grizzles.. they acquire a prooven veteran who'll bring leadership, along with playoff experience in Prince; not to mention they'll receive 2010 NBA Draft's 1st & 2nd round pick. The way things are going now, the Grizzles might even get a Lottery pick due to Detriot's poor play this season.

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young
PG) Conley JR/L.Hudson/Williams

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
To even sweeten the deal.. How would ppl feel about at Gay & Thabeet for Prince & picks swap??

Thabeet would pretty much become the starter in Detriot at center rather than finding a home for the Grizzles due to their frontcourt Log-jam. Gay would provide young versatility for the pistons.

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

For the Grizzles.. they acquire a prooven veteran who'll bring leadership, along with playoff experience in Prince; not to mention they'll receive 2010 NBA Draft's 1st & 2nd round pick. The way things are going now, the Grizzles might even get a Lottery pick due to Detriot's poor play this season.

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

How do you call this fair? Rudy and Thebeet no way. First of all i think we are doing pretty good with Rudy here in Memphis. And Prince hasnt even proved he can play.

Bob_at_york
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

you are joking right?

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 11:47 AM
you are joking right?

Exactly what i was thinking

gblahabadboys
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
As a Pistons fan, I would love Rudy..however..it would probably take Prince, one of our young players, like Jerebko or Daye, and a Pick to land him...that is if salaries match up...Prince is making around $10 mil and I believe Rudy is quite a bit less than that...

Blackjack24
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Ludicrous, a swap of two young, improving, former first rounders for a declining vet and a first rounder? Why would Memphis even consider this?

The base trade of Gay for Prince + 1st seems a little reasonable. I guess it would depend if the Memphis FO is happy with Gay and the chemistry he brings at the moment.

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Ludicrous, a swap of two young, improving, former first rounders for a declining vet and a first rounder? Why would Memphis even consider this?

The base trade of Gay for Prince + 1st seems a little reasonable. I guess it would depend if the Memphis FO is happy with Gay and the chemistry he brings at the moment.

And yeah how do you think it is working? 24-58 last year and 22-19 this year?

Trinity_man817
01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
better deal for the pistons.....

Prince is on the end of his career....

And Rudy Gay is still a up and comer......

$ NyC $
01-22-2010, 12:12 PM
It would make sense but i think Gay is becoming an amazing player and is more valuable than Prince + pick. Plus he's still very young so there's plenty of room to improve. He isn't too shabby of a defender himself and maybe they shouldn't mess with the chemistry. I just honestly would like to see what Marc Gasol could do with more shots.

Only way i do this trade is if its Gay for + Prince + pick + Daye or somthin like that.

Ballin274
01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

No offense to you or any Pistons fans, but this has to be the stupedist post I've ever seen. First of all, Prince sucks. not like the Clippers do every season, but he sucks like a bj convention, I wouldn't take him on my team for free, or for our two biggest contracts, and I'm a Knicks fan, so you know that's saying something. Secondly, how the hell would giving up 2 promising players for this loser and swapping picks help the Grizzlies??? That's an Isiah Thomas/Donald Sterling type move. Wait let me back up a little, Isiah gets a little more credit than that because he at least thought somewhere in his Dilusional mind that he was helping his team, If Memphis ever made this trade the whole franchise should be disolved, and every faculty member, and the owner, should be banned from even buying tickets to a NBA game for life, let alone work for any team.

icon1914
01-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I think Memphis will be stupid to give up Gay for Prince... or anything involving Prince. Even if they miss the playoffs this year the Grizz have made some amazing progress... why mess with that?

If anything they should be looking at what free agents they can nab so they can have more depth coming off the bench.

Bob_at_york
01-22-2010, 12:33 PM
No offense to you or any Pistons fans, but this has to be the stupedist post I've ever seen. First of all, Prince sucks. not like the Clippers do every season, but he sucks like a bj convention, I wouldn't take him on my team for free, or for our two biggest contracts, and I'm a Knicks fan, so you know that's saying something. Secondly, how the hell would giving up 2 promising players for this loser and swapping picks help the Grizzlies??? That's an Isiah Thomas/Donald Sterling type move. Wait let me back up a little, Isiah gets a little more credit than that because he at least thought somewhere in his Dilusional mind that he was helping his team, If Memphis ever made this trade the whole franchise should be disolved, and every faculty member, and the owner, should be banned from even buying tickets to a NBA game for life, let alone work for any team.

You have quite the low opinion of Prince. He doesn't suck. He isn't worth the deal suggested here but he is still a very valuable player that if he was bought-out every playoff team would fight over him.

twoearl
01-22-2010, 12:39 PM
So let me get this straight? They trade one of the league best defenders (shane battier) for rudy gay. Then a few years later they want to trade Rudy for a good defender (tayshaun)???????

Memphis FO needs to all be fired right now....lol

icon1914
01-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

So let me get this straight.... Trade Gay, an emerging star, and Thabeet, #2 pick last year, to Detroit for Prince, and a mid to late 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick? Are you serious? That trade would be stopped on NBA 2K10.
I mean how does that trade benefit Memphis? If Detroit was a bottom 3 team then maybe a pick would be worth something... but Memphis already has three first rounders, and their pick could end up being a lottery pick.

The deal makes no sense.

Raph12
01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Detroit is getting off better here.

RadiantShot
01-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Oh shut up. Why would the Grizzlies trade their superstar on the team for a declining SF/PF?

Stupid deal if the Grizzlie's make it.

LanceUpperCut
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Wow I'm sure BC could make better deal than that or pretty much any other team.

twoearl
01-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree that Gay will probably get OVERPAID by some team this summer and leave the Griz but I think they can do better than an aging SF hasn't played good basketball in about two years.

Bob_at_york
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I agree that Gay will probably get OVERPAID by some team this summer and leave the Griz but I think they can do better than an aging SF hasn't played good basketball in about two years.

I think that the Griz will keep him. I am not sure what "overpaid" is but I can see the contract starting at 10 mil per.

Sports Illustrator
01-22-2010, 12:58 PM
It definitely favors the Pistons more than anyone, but the fact of the matter is that Rudy Gay will likely be one of the few free agents this offseason that will be signing with a different team other than the Memphis Grizzlies.

Bob_at_york
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
It definitely favors the Pistons more than anyone, but the fact of the matter is that Rudy Gay will likely be one of the few free agents this offseason that will be signing with a different team other than the Memphis Grizzlies.

but he is restricted FA, you don't think there is any chance they match the offer?

twoearl
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I think that the Griz will keep him. I am not sure what "overpaid" is but I can see the contract starting at 10 mil per.

I mean that he will probably get number 1 option/best player on your team type money, when cleary he is best suited for a number 2 role. I compare him to a young Joe Johnson, great player but your not going to win a ring with him being your best player...

jjizle
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

That would be awesome. Detroit could literally field a starting lineup strictly comprised of UConn players.
G Gordon
G Hamilton
F Gay
F Charlie V
C Hasheem

cantstopthee
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
i hate when i hear tayshauns name in anything, he is the most underrated player in the league, he is lights out,great defense,he needs a team or needs to be on a team that cares,he is a young all star,coming into his prime.

but sadly everytime i hear his name an insult is following it, i hope we can trade him for someone, i want to see him bud into something ...

Sports Illustrator
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
but he is restricted FA, you don't think there is any chance they match the offer?

No, I don't think they're willing to pay him 13-14 mill per season. I believe there will be many upsets this offseason. Most big time free agents may likely be resigning with their own teams. Rudy Gay will be looking for the big money and may go to a team that was abiding by the 2010 plan but had no success. Rudy Gay will likely be the fallback option for many NBA teams.

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
No, I don't think they're willing to pay him 13-14 mill per season. I believe there will be many upsets this offseason. Most big time free agents may likely be resigning with their own teams. Rudy Gay will be looking for the big money and may go to a team that was abiding by the 2010 plan but had no success. Rudy Gay will likely be the fallback option for many NBA teams.

13 -14 mil? Who would pay him that? Anybody who pays him that will be disappointed. I love him but not for that much. And he is a restricted fa the worst case scenario will be a sign and trade

*Superman*
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Bad, bad bad deal for Memphis. I don't see why they would trade him in the 1st place.

aZekuiS
01-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't really matter for the Pistons as he'd be gone after this season. We already have 3 rookie sf's and will be looking for solid bigs in the off-season. As long as we get expiring contracts I really don't care who it is.

mzgrizz
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young

You ARE kidding, right? You seem to be sliding bass ackwards on this deal.

mzgrizz
01-22-2010, 05:49 PM

What do you base this on , SI? There is nothing in Memphis news that remotely smacks of your statement. Source please.

Chronz
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Agreed with OP, its a rare trade in which both teams may benefit from getting different players that fit better. The loss of O isnt a problem if youve got Mayo and Gasol ready to step up, but is Tay still great defensively? If not it could back fire, its a win for sure if your the Pistons. If not just to clear CAP.

Chronz
01-22-2010, 07:04 PM
You ARE kidding, right? You seem to be sliding bass ackwards on this deal.

I agree adding Thabeet because it solves their frontcourt log jam didnt make any sense, why would a team do that with a prospect?

Derick713
01-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Rudy Gay is an important part of that team. They've got to keep him. They Grizzlies are playing well enough that they would risk alienating the fan base if they gave up one of there best players. Tayshaun Prince has a lot of miles on that body. The deal doesn’t sound that bad though. The Grizzlies risk having to overpay for Gay since any team that misses out on an elite free agent in 2010 will have to make Gay the back-up plan. Gay has a chance to get more money than he deserves.

Havoc Wreaker
01-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Lineup:

C) Thabeet/Wallace/Brown
SF) Gay/Daye/Summers
SG) Hamilton/Gordon/
PG) Stuckey/Bynum/Atkins

Lineup:

C) Gasol/Haddadi/Hunter
PF) Z.Randolph/D.Arthur
SF) Prince/D.Carroll
SG)OJ Mayo/S.Young
I thought your awesome deals were reserved for baseball only....Oh boy :laugh2:

JWO35
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't really matter for the Pistons as he'd be gone after this season. We already have 3 rookie sf's and will be looking for solid bigs in the off-season. As long as we get expiring contracts I really don't care who it is.

I doubt this, If we wanted a "Cap Dump" we would have traded for McGrady Weeks ago...Dumars wants a long term type of deal that will work for years to come. If we get Gay we will probably sign him to an extension(or Memphis will do it and trade him here). Either way is good...if I was the GM I would do this in a heartbeat.

itsripcity32
01-22-2010, 08:23 PM

agreed
big quett.. :facepalm:

itsripcity32
01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
What do you base this on , SI? There is nothing in Memphis news that remotely smacks of your statement. Source please.

he already rejected an extension dude. know your own team please

levignjw
01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
i hate when i hear tayshauns name in anything, he is the most underrated player in the league, he is lights out,great defense,he needs a team or needs to be on a team that cares,he is a young all star,coming into his prime.

but sadly everytime i hear his name an insult is following it, i hope we can trade him for someone, i want to see him bud into something ...

Hardly, Prince's time is up in Detroit IMO.

SteveNash
01-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Too much to give up on a player who will just chase big money in free agency earning 13-14 mil a year.

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Too much to give up on a player who will just chase big money in free agency earning 13-14 mil a year.

Too much? It is not enough. I thought you being a Suns fan and you seeing what he did to you guys would know that.

SteveNash
01-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Too much? It is not enough. I thought you being a Suns fan and you seeing what he did to you guys would know that.

You mean this game:
http://www.nba.com/games/20100102/MEMPHX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

Raoul Duke
01-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm not completely sold on Gay. First off, I don't think he's worth what he's likely to be offered next summer. Second, I feel like all he really does is score. Don't get me wrong, he's a hell of a scorer, it just seems like thats the only facet of his game that really stands out.

EDIT: We also have an abundance of promising young threes, so that plays a part too.

ko8e24
01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
that would be a trade of great great ******** proportions for the memphis grizzlies

JLynn943
01-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't seen many Pistons games this year, but if Prince is playing like he did last year, Memphis can do better.

Raoul Duke
01-22-2010, 09:06 PM
I haven't seen many Pistons games this year, but if Prince is playing like he did last year, Memphis can do better.

No, really, they can't. The whole deal is totally slanted in Memphis' favor.

:pray:

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 09:09 PM
You mean this game:
http://www.nba.com/games/20100102/MEMPHX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

No not when we beat you guys by 25 and had you down by more than 30.

but this one. you know the game on national tv
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300118029

dodie53
01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Memphis won't trade Gay for Prince

Ebbs
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Terrible trade for Memphis

JLynn943
01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
No, really, they can't. The whole deal is totally slanted in Memphis' favor.

:pray:

No trade at all is better than acquiring Prince if he's playing like last year. Maybe the trade would energize him, but then again, he could react like last year and just pout and play like he's got an anchor attached to him.

Silent
01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
you are joking right?

i sure hope so

azkarraga
01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Even thouygh i like prince a lot, or used to liked him a lot, why would memphis do that?

azkarraga
01-22-2010, 09:31 PM
why would you trade a player who's to win a title for one who already got one but is never to win another?

Gormans Mic
01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
It would have to include more than Prince to send Rudy Gay to Det. if I was memphis thats for sure.

Big Quett
01-22-2010, 10:26 PM
It would have to include more than Prince to send Rudy Gay to Det. if I was memphis thats for sure.

Yeah people are acting as like this is Detroit's choice like its all up to the pistons for this trade to go through. Like memphis has already signed off on it. This trade is all in Detroit's mind

SteveNash
01-23-2010, 02:36 AM
No not when we beat you guys by 25 and had you down by more than 30.

but this one. you know the game on national tv
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300118029

I can't load ESPN right now, are you talking about this game?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091125/MEMPHX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

JLynn943
01-23-2010, 03:21 AM
I can't load ESPN right now, are you talking about this game?

http://www.nba.com/games/20091125/MEMPHX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

:rolleyes:

No, he's talking about the one that just happened earlier this week. This one, (http://www.nba.com/games/20100118/PHXMEM/gameinfo.html) where Rudy Gay shot 11/20 (including 3/5 from beyong the arc) for 31 points, 9 rebounds (4 of which were offensive), 3 blocks, and a steal.

The link is to nba.com. Hopefully your computer can load it.

Big Quett
01-23-2010, 03:40 PM
:rolleyes:

No, he's talking about the one that just happened earlier this week. This one, (http://www.nba.com/games/20100118/PHXMEM/gameinfo.html) where Rudy Gay shot 11/20 (including 3/5 from beyong the arc) for 31 points, 9 rebounds (4 of which were offensive), 3 blocks, and a steal.

The link is to nba.com. Hopefully your computer can load it.

yeah he is trying to be funny and show the game when Rudy wasnt at his best. I would rather show the game where the suns didnt lose by 25 though if i were suns fan...lol

Tony_Starks
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
That would be a stupid move for Memphis. Prince is offensively limited and has been hurt on and off all year. Gay is having one of his best seasons and they're playing good ball.

He'll be a restricted FA next year so its not like they have to worry about him just walking away. They have plenty of money to match whatever offer he gets.

lakerboy
01-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Prince is injured this year, but he isn't done. The dude is still young, and he can be useful in championship teams.

If Detroit is crazy for an expiring, I'd happily give Adam Morrison for Prince, straight up.

Gay is a scorer, and most likely he will bolt out of Memphis if their FO decides to be frugal again. But I think the ultimate upside in the offer was Detroit's first rounder. If you get a top 3 pick then it's all worth it!