PDA

View Full Version : Kaman: "I don't think [Pau] Gasol should be in [the All-Star game] at all''

DenButsu
01-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Kaman Says Gasol Not All-Star Worthy
By Chris Tomasson

The battle of Los Angeles might just have heated up for the next time the Lakers and Clippers meet.

Clippers center Chris Kaman said in an interview with FanHouse after Thursday's 105-85 loss to Denver that Lakers big man Pau Gasol doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star Game.

"I don't think Gasol should be in it at all,'' Kaman said when asked if he would be disappointed if Gasol, who starts at power forward for the Lakers, is slid over to be the backup center when West coaches vote for All-Star reserves. "He's only played like 20 games (he played Thursday in his 25th out of 42 Lakers games) this year. I think there should be a number of games you should play. I think you should have to play like 80 percent of the games.

"It shouldn't be 50 percent (of games a player has logged) over a guy who plays 90 percent and who has better numbers. Not just me. Zach Randolph, a power forward, he has better numbers (than Gasol). But he's not on the Lakers.''

Gasol is averaging 16.8 points and 11.1 rebounds to 20.4 points and 9.2 rebounds for Kaman, who has played in 38 of 42 games. Randolph is averaging 20.8 points and 11.5 rebounds while having played in all 41 games. But Kaman does not believe it would be fair to slide Randolph over to center because he starts at power forward for Memphis.

"I don't think he's a center,'' Kaman said.

Kaman believes coaches, who in each conference vote as reserves one center, two forwards, two guards and two other players at any question, should vote for at least one player who starts at center. However, an NBA official has said votes for a player who doesn't start at center but sometimes plays the position, such as Gasol, Randolph and Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, are accepted.

Regardless of position, Kaman believes he's a more deserving All-Star than Gasol. He also believes he would be a better choice than Lakers center Andrew Bynum, who is averaging 15.4 points and 8.4 rebounds, if coaches voted for a player who starts at center.

"I think I'm more deserving than Andrew Bynum,'' Kaman said. "I'd be disappointed if they put Pau Gasol in front of me. If they put Bynum (ahead of me), it would be disappointing but it would be easier to accept.''

The Clippers are 18-23 and the Lakers are 32-10. But Kaman doesn't believe that should help the All-Star chances of Gasol and Bynum.

"Some people probably go with the records,'' Kaman said. "The Lakers are a hell of a team. Nothing you can really do about it. If I get in, I get in. But I think (my) numbers are better. But my team hasn't won as many games.

"But we also don't have Kobe Bryant on my team either. Put Kobe Bryant on my team or LeBron James on my team -- that's nothing against the guys on my team now -- but, if we had a superstar, it changes the complexion.''

Pau GasolClippers coach Mike Dunleavy agrees Kaman should be an All-Star. He also said he would be disappointed if coaches voted for a power forward to be the backup center.

"First of all, I don't think any of the power forwards are better than (Kaman),'' Dunleavy said. "I think he's a better power forward than any of the power forwards. So it shouldn't be an issue. His numbers got to be as good as their numbers anyway. I'd be disappointed (if Kaman isn't an All-Star).''

As for the battle of Los Angeles, the Lakers lead the season series 2-1, but Kaman and Gasol have not faced each other in any game. Kaman has played in two of the games, but missed the only one Gasol played. In the duel at center in the two games in which Kaman did appear, he averaged 19.5 points and 15.0 rebounds to 20.5 points and 13.5 rebounds for Bynum. So that was a push.

As for Kaman meeting up with Gasol, the final chance of that happening in the regular season is April 14. But the rivals could duke it out in the first round of the playoffs if the Clippers can make it.fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/22/kaman-says-gasol-not-all-star-worthy/)

asandhu23
01-22-2010, 05:09 AM
I agree.

*Watch the Lakers "fans" jump on these words*

Spurred1
01-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Oh,Den..what the hell have you done?

asandhu23
01-22-2010, 05:13 AM
I think Kaman should be the starter.

DenButsu
01-22-2010, 05:29 AM

I know. :o

I debated w/ myself over posting this. But if I didn't post it, someone else would have. No way these words would have gone unnoticed. And this way I'm subscribed to the thread from the first post, so at least I can keep an eye on it.

All that said, I do think it's rare that an NBA player be this outspoken about another player not deserving to be in, and it's somewhat noteworthy/newsworthy on that level whether anybody agrees with him or not.

Spurred1
01-22-2010, 05:32 AM
It is newsworthy, it is just very likely to start some ugly arguments-have fun modding.
That said, I agree with Kaman. Gasol has been very good, but he has missed quite a few games already this season. But i wonder if the coaches will pick Randolph as a center and select Durant and Dirk as the pfs. Randolph has been amazing so far this season.

kingbrentg
01-22-2010, 05:35 AM
I love Chris Kaman.

ko8e24
01-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Well, I guess he does deserve to be somewhat all-star worthy as a reserve (but definitely not over Zach Randolph, that guy hands down deserves it ahead of Kaman, Bynum and Pau).

And for the record, everytime Chris Kaman speaks, he seems like a sore, bitter

Statik1
01-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Laker fan here and I for one Think Kaman should be the starting center. I do agree Pau shouldn't be in the game do to how many games he has missed. His play has been solid but nothing spectacular.

asandhu23
01-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Laker fan here and I for one Think Kaman should be the starting center. I do agree Pau shouldn't be in the game do to how many games he has missed. His play has been solid but nothing spectacular.

hey like your sig. I think Deron Williams should have been voted over Nash.

DerekRE_3
01-22-2010, 06:04 AM

:pity: Den...always starting stuff in the NBA Forum. Cannot believe he hasn't been banned yet.

Spurred1
01-22-2010, 06:10 AM
He needs to ban himself-that will resolve the problem.

Statik1
01-22-2010, 06:55 AM
hey like your sig. I think Deron Williams should have been voted over Nash.

Yeah Deron is playing some good ball this season.

LeBroom
01-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Pau Gasol isn't All-Star worthy. I wouldn't be surprised though if Kaman wasn't chosen. Since, I think Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitzki and possibly Zach Randolph would get the final spot for the F/C slot.

Statik1
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Pau Gasol isn't All-Star worthy. I wouldn't be surprised though if Kaman wasn't chosen. Since, I think Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitzki and possibly Zach Randolph would get the final spot for the F/C slot.

Kaman or Randolph have been playing out of their minds.

JRisdabest
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
kaman should def be an all star this yr

Mave1002
01-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Honestly, who cares about the all-star game anyway?

I say let em' play. NBA players and their insecurities. :facepalm:

Especially the ones who have been WANTING THE SPOTLIGHT for so long now.

Why not let the CLippers team represent the entire western conference?

Jeez, play Chris Kaman for 47 minutes if he desperately wants to.

It's not a necessity. It's the post season that counts.

See you all when we get there... the other 15 teams i mean. haha.

Gators123
01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Kaman should start

Aboogz89
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
kaman makes a good point.....but randoplh has been tooo good this yr and might get in instead of kaman

ElMarroAfamado
01-22-2010, 10:28 AM
neither gasol or MUCH LESS bynum should be on the all star team...kaman deserves it but probably wont because he is a clipper .....

Unruly Fan
01-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Kaman has a legit case imo.

magichatnumber9
01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
It is what it is. Another question along those lines is Garnett. Does he really deserve to be a starter this year? I don't think so.

JIDsanity
01-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Im not even a Lakers fan, and I think this is disrespectful. Why doesnt Kaman worry about his team, Pau is about to get another championship

JayW_1023
01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
He should be a starter over Amare...

knickerbockerny
01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Kaman should be there, Randolph should be there and it is a tragedy is Deron Williams is snubbed again for another year.

TheWatcher34
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
i hate Gasol....and it delightens me everytime when he misses these clutch free throws...

mikantsass
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Well said I agree 100%

mikantsass
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
It is what it is. Another question along those lines is Garnett. Does he really deserve to be a starter this year? I don't think so.

Garnett has missed too much time as well. I dont think he deserves that spot either.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
KG, Gasol, Bynum. none of them deserve the spot over Kaman and Z-Bo.

sorry KG, u havent played, and we are not winning. You are not a 2010 All Star.

clutchski
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I completely agree with him. Same with KG and AI. Kaman is playing great this year and I think he should be in it if it weren't just the most popular players getting voted in.

Hawkeye15
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
while Kaman comes off as a baby here, he has a point.

#1Mavericksfan
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Kaman should start

So should Dirk but what can you do.....:(

DallasMavsGuy
01-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I think Kaman should be in the all star game. As much as I like gasol's play i don't like that he hasn't been playing. If you don't play you shouldn't be allowed into the all star game. Overall I think KG should be out as well, but until there are rules against it, expect stupid votes, like the votes for A.I. to be there.

Avenged
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
While I do agree Kaman should be in the All-Star game, KG is starting in the East and hasn't played a lot of games so why shouldn't Pau?

Raidaz4Life
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't say Gasol is unworthy... but there are more worthy people out there

Raph12
01-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Zach and Durant should get in over Pau at the PF and Kaman is right, he should get in at C.

I don't see how Pau would get in this season.

RadiantShot
01-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Chris Kaman has spoken. It seemed he got a little confidence boost from somewhere, but he's right. Pau's a great player, but he's missed too many games. Kaman has played hard, and put up All-star numbers, so why not let him play? Because he doesn't have a Laker's jersey? Because he doesn't have a superstar? It could go either way, I think he SHOULD make it over Bynum though. Bynum is a grandma.

DCB/LAL
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
He's right Pau is great player but he's missed too many games and its unfair for those who have worked their tail off every game being an all-star obviously means something to these players and I feel its bulls*** that people who have hardly played or missed alot games get the nod over some of the players who have been there almost every game and taken that wear and tear.

sunnydayin'zona
01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I think Kaman should be the starter.

well, for some reason amare is listed as center, and has basically the same numbers as kaman. but amare made a campaign for the all star game. and i think dirk should be in it at pf, and kaman should be backup center.

Teeboy1487
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Kaman should be more angry that he is not the starting center for the west. He has been by far the best center in the west. Amare does not even play center.

Fool
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree.

*Watch the Lakers "fans" jump on these words*

:laugh:

but seriously, don't you think there are players that deserve it less than pau, that have played way less than pau and performed less than pau?

Kobes a Killer
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree kamen deserves it over bynum and pau but bosh deserves it over Garnett rondo over iverson it's all bs in my opinion and we can't do anything about it so whatever

AI4MVP
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
id rather have marc gasol then pau gasol. pau is a fluffly soft biotch. jj hickson and shaq both made him there housewife consistently last night. marc gasol has the same skill set with more toughness. everyone thinks the lakers got sucha huge steal. no they didnt

iggypop123
01-22-2010, 03:16 PM
While I do agree Kaman should be in the All-Star game, KG is starting in the East and hasn't played a lot of games so why shouldn't Pau?

he was voted in. not much you can do there. and the east is much weaker there arent legitimate candidates being left out

still1ballin
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Where the F is HellCrooner?

masalex1205
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Kaman made a couple of good points, the problem is that he's trying to make the All-Star selection process make sense when it doesn't.

Example: Iverson is going to make the game and Gerald Wallace isn't.

Just accept the All-Star game for what it's worth, a sideshow spectacle that only matters in terms of triggering a $500k bonus in a player's contract

Chi_Town_Boi
01-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Agreed for Kaman!!

smith&wesson
01-22-2010, 03:38 PM
dirk should start at the four. randolph should be a reserve four
duncan or amare should start at the five and which ever one doesnt should be a reserve.

kaman should get his balls back from reggie evans.

Grand Master B
01-22-2010, 03:47 PM
OK OK!! everybody seems in agreement that Bynum, Gasol, AI, Garnett, maybe even Amare shouldn't be in this year. BUT who of you didn't actually vote for your team players regardless of their numbers or lack of games? Be HONEST! your telling me you Celtics fans didn't vote for KG? or Laker fans didn't vote for Gasol and Bynum. COME ON!

Hellcrooner
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
^lakers dans didnt vote for gasol or bynum

because if every laker fan that voted for KObe had vote for gasol and bynum too them three woudl be starting

Chronz
01-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Id still take Bynum over Kaman

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Kaman is more worthy of this than stoudemire, its the fans. but he should at least be a reserve. kaman is a 20 and 10 guy.
alot of peopel deserve to be in the all star game in teh west.. but there isnt enough space. if yu move kaman, or zach, or deron to the east, they will all be all stars. instead of people like rondo with 14/10 as a reserve :facepalm: and horford with 14/10 :facepalm
and than people think mo williams is an all star, YAH RIGHT>

Hellcrooner
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
^20/10 in a horrible team. you mean?

stats mean jack.

fo course rondo is nto doing 20/10 he plays with garnett, allen and pierce.

of course gasol is nto making 20/10 he plays with kobe, bynum artest

cRaTeR
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Chris Kaman should keep his mouth shut. He is no where near the talent that pau is or that randolph is. if pau was on any other team, he'd be doing better stats wise and his team would be way above 500. The man actually got the grizzlies to win.

Kaman has a lot of talent around, yet its the talents fault for the team not winning. The guy needs to look in the mirror. All hes been this year is a stat whore, trying to pad every bit he can instead of trying to get wins. Yea you should really reward him over pau, ha ha ha what a character.

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
^20/10 in a horrible team. you mean?

stats mean jack.

fo course rondo is nto doing 20/10 he plays with garnett, allen and pierce.

of course gasol is nto making 20/10 he plays with kobe, bynum artest

the cavs are a horrible team. without lebron they will have less than 41 games won at the end of the season.

so because lebron is a good player on a crappy team, does that mean he shouldnt be an all star? :facepalm:

Hellcrooner
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
^are you implying rondo is like west or pau is a Varejao?

RaptorizedKevin
01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
^are you implying rondo is like west or pau is a Varejao?

your post is vague. Rondo is like west? in terms of waht? i have no idea what ur saying, elaborate.

Hellcrooner
01-22-2010, 04:12 PM
^you are impling that palyers in lkers roster or bostons are as bad as those on cavs

MJ-BULLS
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
chirs kaman is cool!

gr824
01-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Facts say that Gasol is worthy of All Star participation:

His current TS% is nearly equal to last season and his PER is above last year's figure ...

His TRB% and BLK% are significantly above last year ...

His FT% and his DRtg are the best of his career, while his current ORtg is only slightly below his mark of 2008-2009, which was his best number to date by far ...

In the 25 games that Pau has played this season, the Lakers' record is 21-4 ...

J4KOP99
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
This shows what Chris Kaman cares about.

WadeCounty
01-22-2010, 04:37 PM
I think both rondo, chris bosh got robbed and deron williams AGAIN

Hellcrooner
01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
i also think this dude should be FINED for callin out other teams players since he also dissed zach, a jeff and marc.

and of course i think his smarthmouth should be punished by the other teams coaches and not get a single coach vote

G-Funk
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
id rather have marc gasol then pau gasol. pau is a fluffly soft biotch. jj hickson and shaq both made him there housewife consistently last night. marc gasol has the same skill set with more toughness. everyone thinks the lakers got sucha huge steal. no they didnt

thanx to u AI is starting lol

G-Funk
01-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Starting line-up should be chosen by Fans/Media/Players

J_M_B
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Chris Kaman is right...

Pau doesn't deserve it. It should be either Zach Randolph or Chris Kaman

GOON MUSIC
01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
im a laker fan

and i think tim duncan should be startin center, dirk startin 4 and kaman and zbo off the bench and pau and drew not playin

but for Kaman to say this, imo makes em look like a whiny *****, and he should learn to keep other players names out his mouth

ldc62
01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
"First of all, I don't think any of the power forwards are better than (Kaman),'' Dunleavy said.

Proves Dunleavy is a moron. I know hes sticking up for Kaman, but he shouldn't have said it in this context. Just off the top of my head I can name 2 players who are better at PF. Dirk and Bosh....

ldc62
01-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I think both rondo, chris bosh got robbed and deron williams AGAIN

Agreed. However Bosh was top 10 in votes (too bad Lebron and KG are both east forwards). Maybe even Joe Johnson over AI.

What the Lineups Shoulda been:

East: Joe J., Wade, Lebron, Bosh, Dwight
West: Deron/CP/Nash (all 3 are too good), Kobe, Melo, Dirk, Duncan

Amare is a good player, but he can't play D and his numbers aren't even that amazing. He should still be in it, but not starting.

what54!?
01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
well he does deserve to be in the game this year above gasol.

fresh prince
01-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Kaman is right he dserves the #1 Spot at C really.

He should be starting over Amare

Chronz
01-23-2010, 03:39 AM
Facts say that Gasol is worthy of All Star participation:

His current TS% is nearly equal to last season and his PER is above last year's figure ...

His TRB% and BLK% are significantly above last year ...

His FT% and his DRtg are the best of his career, while his current ORtg is only slightly below his mark of 2008-2009, which was his best number to date by far ...

In the 25 games that Pau has played this season, the Lakers' record is 21-4 ...
Great point, it shouldnt be # of games played but # of games won. If Pau is winning more in less time it should qualify him.

Penetra8r
01-23-2010, 05:27 AM
I think they should take actual playing times into consideration...

DenButsu
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448995