PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Draft

Jacob K.
01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
How good was the 2003 Draft, in a historical sense. Best ever? best this decade? what do you think?

Here is a link to wikipedias page on the draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_Draft

RaptorizedKevin
01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
it was as good as the 1996 draft and 1984 draft. we wont have one like this for antoher 30 years +

RaptorizedKevin
01-21-2010, 08:49 PM
all those people who passed up kobe , must be hating themselves :P

RaptorizedKevin
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
detriot should feel very bad. they could have had melo, wade, or bosh.. sucks..

Shady66
01-21-2010, 08:52 PM
96 was the best imo

JWO35
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM
detriot should feel very bad. they could have had melo, wade, or bosh.. sucks..

When people look back at this draft 20yrs from now....Everyone will be like WTF was the Pistons smoking :facepalm:

I wanted them to draft Carmelo

asandhu23
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Warriors could have had Kobe, T-Mac ( maybe he wouldn't gotten injured with the fast paced Warriors style ), we had Gilbert Arenas and well traded him away. We had Wilt ( traded him away ).... :sigh: disappointments

RaptorizedKevin
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
any team who missed out on signing a superstar must feel bad. sympathy goes out to the trial blazers.. michael jordan would had put them on the map

dtmagnet
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Wasn't Kobe a bit of a problem for certain teams to draft? I know he refused to go to Charlotte so they had to trade him.

MiamiHeat
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
When people look back at this draft 20yrs from now....Everyone will be like WTF was the Pistons smoking :facepalm:

they say that now lol

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
we won't know until the careers of those players is over, but it could rival the 1984 draft. Time will tell

smith&wesson
01-21-2010, 09:05 PM
toronto must have some bad scouting.

we picked

raphael arujo over andre igudala

bargs over brandon roy

bosh over wade.

bosh and bargs over wade and roy i can live with...
but arujo over igudala :facepalm:

OREcoast49er
01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Kobe basically told everyone that he would only play for Lakers even before the draft. Thats why he fell how far he did. Charlotte knew they could draft him and trade him to LA for something better than they would have got if they just drafted someone else. He forced his way there. Scum from the beginning!

Ragun
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
toronto must have some bad scouting.

we picked

raphael arujo over andre igudala

bargs over brandon roy

bosh over wade.

bosh and bargs over wade and roy i can live with...
but arujo over igudala :facepalm:

give bargs a year or two and you wont regret taking him over Roy.

vash9
01-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Detroit. Passing up on Melo, Bosh, etc.

Yeah. You don't get a draft class like this every year.

xabial
01-21-2010, 09:57 PM
The draft that changed franchises. One of the best of all time. Dont worry Detriot fans i feel you, my knicks drafted Michael Sweetney :)

Jacob K.
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
i dont think people see the depth in this draft. theres all the big names, but then mo williams in the 2nd round, and chris kaman should be an all star this year. just too many good guys in it to name off.

Ray_R
01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Kobe basically told everyone that he would only play for Lakers even before the draft. Thats why he fell how far he did. Charlotte knew they could draft him and trade him to LA for something better than they would have got if they just drafted someone else. He forced his way there. Scum from the beginning!

I honestly didnt know that. if he did does this that was a total ***** move

Silent
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
detroits kicking theme selves in the *** lol

tp13baby
01-22-2010, 12:13 AM
this is just an amazing draft.
Denver thought Melo was gonna be off the board and thought of drafting wade.

kozelkid
01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
it was as good as the 1996 draft and 1984 draft. we wont have one like this for antoher 30 years +

How does that make sense? We had 3 great drafts within 30 years.
I thought 2007 had a shot, but neither Oden nor Horford panned out quite as originally projected. Although with Oden it's more so been injuries than anything else.
2010 looks like a very good draft class as well. If everything goes right, who knows. Alot of what made those drafts great was luck as well.

kozelkid
01-22-2010, 12:30 AM
i dont think people see the depth in this draft. theres all the big names, but then mo williams in the 2nd round, and chris kaman should be an all star this year. just too many good guys in it to name off.

I'd say 96 had the best depth out of them all.
84 had the best star power (kinda hard to beat out MJ, Barkley, Dream, Stockton).
And 03 maybe a combination of the 2.

ldc62
01-22-2010, 01:09 AM

Darko was a great prospect... But too bad Darko's coach was LB.

_KB24_
01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Wasn't Kobe a bit of a problem for certain teams to draft? I know he refused to go to Charlotte so they had to trade him.

:facepalm: Get your facts straight. Don't just run your mouth, do a little research and get back to me. That's all I have to say.

PHX2daDEATH
01-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Detroit got the pick from Memphis right? How though?! Wasn't it for Otis Thorpe!? Correct me if Im wrong please.... Scottie and Mike were right, you can't really scout european players! Joe totally missed it on Wade and Bosh too..How lucky was Miami though. Say Detroit picked Carmelo, Denver got Wade, Toronto Bosh. Who does Miami get, Darko? I say they would of Picked TJ Ford.. Thing is with this draft only Hinrich, Kaman.

And the Suns might of had the second biggest stinker..passing up David West, Kendrick Perkins and Josh Howard for Zarko Cabarkapa:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

kozelkid
01-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Detroit got the pick from Memphis right? How though?! Wasn't it for Otis Thorpe!? Correct me if Im wrong please.... Scottie and Mike were right, you can't really scout european players! Joe totally missed it on Wade and Bosh too..How lucky was Miami though. Say Detroit picked Carmelo, Denver got Wade, Toronto Bosh. Who does Miami get, Darko? I say they would of Picked TJ Ford.. Thing is with this draft only Hinrich, Kaman.

And the Suns might of had the second biggest stinker..passing up David West, Kendrick Perkins and Josh Howard for Zarko Cabarkapa:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Haha at least you team didn't pass up trading Donyell Marshall and our 7th pick at the time for ****ing DWYANE WADE. Or Jay Williams (pre injury) and 7th pick for Denver's pick.

JasonJohnHorn
01-22-2010, 03:15 AM
When it comes to skipping in players like T-Mac and Kobe, people must realize that only three players had skipped college before that and played well: Moses Malone, Shawn Kemp and Kevin Garnett, and none of them was a guard. Hind sight is always twenty-twenty, people can look back and say, man, every team in the league passed up on Ben Wallace twice! WTF!!!!! But the bottom line is that nobody has that foresight. There are picks like DeJuan Blair that people can look back on and say: WTF?!!? How did he drop to the second round, but teams were worried about injuries. Wh did Kobe and T-Mac drop so far? Because highschool players were no proven and were huge gambles to teams who needed immediate impact players and not project that were free to sign wherever they wanted after the three years it took to develop them. Regardless, had a team like the Warriors, or the Bucks, or Clippers, Nets or Mavs drafted Kobe, he would not have finished his career there. He would jump to a big market team or a contender. The only reason the Cavs have had as much luck with keep James is because he is playing in his home town. Had the Bucks selected James, or the Bobcats, he would have been out of those cities after his first contract.

As for Detroit drafting Darko, the KNEW it was a HUGE gamble. They had a contender and wanted a project that wasn't going to be getting a lot of minutes his first season and disrupting team chemistry. Sure, they'd be better now had they draft Bosh, Wade or Melo, but would those players have helped the Detroit rotation win a title that year? Bottom line is the Pistons won a title that year so its hard to say the messed up that bad.

JasonJohnHorn
01-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Best draft? 03 vs 96 is easy. I think for arguments sake we should just say Kobe and LBJ are equals and look at the rest of the draft without even considering those two, and it is clear that the 96 draft had no players as good as Wade Bosh and Melo outside of Nash whose career took a few years and few moves from various cities to warm up, and Iverson. I'd rather have a team with the top four from 03 than a team with the top 4 from 96, but the 96 draft was deeper.

Imagine the line-up match ups:

PG: Steve Nash/Marbury/Iverson
SG: Bryant/Ray Allen
SF: Stojacovic/Sharif Abdul Rahim
PF:Antoine Walker/Jerome Williams
C: Jemaine O'Neal/Big Z

vs. 03

PG: Ford/Rindour/
SG: Wade (Krover and Kapono)
SF: LBJ/Melo/Josh Howard
PF: Bosh/Diaw/
C: Kaman/Zaza

The 96 teams wins out a point guard, shooting guard and center and were deeper at power forward even if Bosh is the best power forward on the list. Small forward obviously goes to 03, but throw in an 84 team:

PG:John Stockton/Alvin Robertson/Jay Humpries/Vern Flemming
SG:Jordan/
SF:
PF:Barkley/Otis Thorpe/Michael Cage/Jerome Kersey
C:Hakeem/Kevin Willis/Sam Perkins/Sam Bowie

That 84 draft may have been short on small forward, but man, the point guard, power forward and center spots would have been unstoppable and although the shooting guard spot lacked depth, it made up for it by having the single greatest shooting guard to ever play the game in the draft. And it had two players in that draft to record quadrouple doubles, the Dream and Alvin Robertson (who could play PG/SG and SF.

the 92 draft was amazing too:

PG: None worth mentioning
SG: Latrell Spreewell/Jim Jackson/Doug Christie
SF: Robert Horry/Tom Gugliota
PF: Laettner, Laphonso Ellis and Clarance Weahterspoon
C: Shaq and Mourning

93: Webber, Penny Hardaway, Mashburn, Rider, Alan Houston, Sam Cassell, Nick VanExcel, Bryon russell, and George Meureson.

And 91? Mutumbo, Larry Johnson, Billy owens, Kenny anderson, Steve smith, Dale Davis, Terrell Brandon, Greg Anthony, Chris Galting, Rick Fox, Bobby Phills, and Richard Dumas.

then there was the 86 draft. Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, Nate McMillan, Jeff Hornecek, Drazen Petrovic, and those were just the guys AFTER the first round. The first round also had: Brad Daughtery, Sabonis, Brad Sellers, John Sally, Dell Curry (Stephan's dad), Scott Skiles, Roy Tarpley, Ron Harper, and Chuck Person... and Len Bias who could have been the most talented forward to ever play the game had he no died of an overdose the night of the draft.

Those are the drafts that stick out in my mind. I'd take 84 and the best talent and 86 as the deepest, but 03 and 96, and 91, 92 and 93 were all great drafts. Its so hard to pick, but Jordan, Stockton and The Dream? In one draft? I can't bring myself to turn down those three greats.

OREcoast49er
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
I honestly didnt know that. if he did does this that was a total ***** move

He did. I watched the whole draft process. They hyped him up so much. His dad played for the Lakers so its like he tht it was his birthright or something. Think about it. Why would Kobe fall to 13. He was hyped like Lebron. No one took him because they knew he would only play for LA. Any team that takes him has zero leverage to get much from the Lakers. They got Vlade. Safe to say Kobe is slightly better than Vlade. Ihavent liked the guy since before he ever played. This is why.