PDA

View Full Version : The Triangle Offense is the Best offense there is for All 5 Guys on the Court

ko8e24
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
The Triangle Offense, predicated upon ball movement and player movement, is in my opinion the best offense for all 5 guys on the floor.

It doesn't deal with one guy getting the other 4 guys involved by having the ball in his hands 95% of the time (aka Chris Paul), it doesn't deal with the best player having to put up big points and big assist numbers while everybody is a steady bystander waiting for the ball to come into their hands (LeBron James and the Cavs), it is an offense that requires all 5 guys to have good reactionary skills, be able to read the defenses, and work "together on offense".

Most offenses have the main guy trying to score, so he gets a screen from his BIG Man, and rolls to the basket for an easy layup or dunk, or get to the FT line (this has become the game of all the other 28 nba teams, with the exception of the T'wolves to a certain extent).

The Triangle Offense is a type of offense that offers something that no other offense offers......giving all 5 of your players the sense of accountabilty. This sense of accountability is based on that that player should be spacing the floor well, be able to pass the ball (fundamentals), look for the open man, make the correct pass at the correct moment, and having the offense flowing. It's like an orchestra, and if one member messes up, the other members fall in a domino effect. The Role player is given a role that requires much responsibility in running the offense, and it engages that player more during the game.

I see some guys watching their star player doing all the work, and they'll either give their teammate an opening by screening the defender (thinking, "my job has been done on this offensive sequence"), or a guy just standing at the 3-pt line, waiting for the penetration and kickout (that's if he's open, if he's not open, then he isn't of much importance in that offensive sequence).

The Triangle Offense holds all 5 players on the floor accountable, and they are all held responsible for having a good share in running their offense. They don't become innocent bystanders waiting for something to happen. They get themselves involved in spacing, positioning, passing the ball, knocking down the open shot, looking for mismatches for themselves as well as for their teammates, etc.

This is why the triangle offense is the best offense there is in the NBA, and some of these teams that are rebuilding (aka the T'wolves) should adopt this system.

GAWDtv
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Ya and???

29$JerZ
01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
That's your opinion

Spurred1
01-21-2010, 05:24 PM
It isn't the best for all teams.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
There are other offences that can be just as effective. Offensively, in terms of ball movement, the Spurs and the Magic (espcially last year's Magic throughout the post season) had great ball movement that involved everybody. And Sloan's pick-and-roll offence has helped the Jazz contend for many of the year throughout his tenure and has finished above .500 ever season but one.

The "Trianlge Offence" is great, but if it was the clear cut best, then other teams would be employing it and the Lakers would have been dominating, or at least contending, every year- which they haven't.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
I love the triangle offense, but I think there is a reason the minority of the teams run it. You really need a super star, like Kobe. Phil has abandoned it at times when Jordan or Kobe weren't playing. It can be successful in a few circumstances, but definitely not all. Phil has been very fortunate to be in great situations. You stress the whole 5 guys thing...I'm not sure if I buy it.

Phil has been incredibly successful running it...I'm just curious how it would fair on a team like Charlotte.

bigsams50
01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Its a great system, and if my team had the right personel i would use it. But its not the best for everyone

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
The Triangle Offense holds all 5 players on the floor accountable, and they are all held responsible for having a good share in running their offense[/B]. They don't become innocent bystanders waiting for something to happen. They get themselves involved in spacing, positioning, passing the ball, knocking down the open shot, looking for mismatches for themselves as well as for their teammates, etc.

I personally like triangle system, but dont think it fits every team or it's best for every team. Phil Jackson (and Tex Winter ofcourse) is a master on application of this system. btw, for the bold part, i m not so sure bcz you cant say it provides a fair share for all 5 players when one of them takes league leading 23 attempts a game.

ChicagoRox
01-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Rambis is trying to implement the triangle in Minny but it is a pretty damn complex system. You need a lot of good players with high basketball iq. That is why Tex Winter needs to be in the HOF. He created the system not Phil.

But while I think it is the best system, it will not work for everybody.

SteveNash
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
:facepalm:

If you honestly think that the triangle offense is the only offenses that relies on all 5 guys and preaches ball movement.

madiaz3
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I personally like triangle system, but dont think it fits every team or it's best for every team. Phil Jackson (and Tex Winter ofcourse) is a master on application of this system. btw, for the bold part, i m not so sure bcz you cant say it provides a fair share for all 5 players when one of them takes league leading 23 attempts a game.

The reason he's ever as open or not open as he is when taking those shots are because of the other four players, simple as that. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

ARMIN12NBA
01-21-2010, 08:24 PM

And the "second option" of Pau/Bynum go for 22 FGA and Artest and Odom combine for 20. Trust me when I say that Kobe shares the ball within the offense.

arkanian215
01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
:bla: if the nets ran a triangle offense they wouldn't be any better cuz their defense is that bad.

TheWatcher34
01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
so this time you want to distance yourself from suckin on Kobe's dick?? don't lie to yourself, man!

Paulliwali
01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
mhm interesting can someone here explain to me the pros and cons of Princeton offense ran by Rick Adelman and the rockets?

td0tsfinest
01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
this is why PSD created User Blogs

Reyes6
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
A triangle has 3 sides.

A starting line-up has 5 players.

A triangle offense simply revolves around a superstar player creating plays for himself and his teammates in the most simplistic form of execution.

I actually believe the Spurs have the best ball movement of the decade, whenever I think of complex offenses and getting everyone involved I immediately think of them.

But if the triangle offense was flawless then every team would use it, but obviously it works because of a playmaker... not because it is so mind-numbing for the defense.

Vidball
01-21-2010, 08:46 PM
A triangle offense simply revolves around a superstar player creating plays for himself and his teammates in the most simplistic form of execution.

Hahaha...funniest thing I've read on PSD for a LONG TIME!!! Thanks :)

WSU Tony
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
The Wolves can't seem to figure it out.....

kblo247
01-21-2010, 11:05 PM
A triangle has 3 sides.

A starting line-up has 5 players.

I actually believe the Spurs have the best ball movement of the decade, whenever I think of complex offenses and getting everyone involved I immediately think of them.

But if the triangle offense was flawless then every team would use it, but obviously it works because of a playmaker... not because it is so mind-numbing for the defense.

You do know that the Spurs used a simplified triple post/triangle offense right?

That is why Phil Jackson always had had great success with defensive gameplans versus them.

The triangle is made by 3 guys like you said, but the other 2 guys must provide the spacing, picks, and cutting so you shouldn't discount what they do either

It isn't for everyone though, but it is for Basketball Players. You have to be able to do multiple things to excel in the offense

Reyes6
01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Triangle offense isn't WOWing me tonight, I'll tell you that much.

_KB24_
01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
The Triangle presents so many options. My coach runs it for us, and the ball is in constant motion, and you always have a viable option. As a player, I love it.

asandhu23
01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Don Nelson's system is the best.

ldc62
01-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Not gonna lie, but this offense would be garbage without Kobe. Late in games they usually just let Kobe go iso so its not like they use it all the time. No doubt its still one of the best offenses. BTW Triangle Offense does use some screen and rolls.... Personally I like Utah's Motion offense.