PDA

View Full Version : Some of Boxings top future prospects are fighting soon!

AddiX
01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
One of my favorite thing about boxing is watching the up and comers. This coming week we got JuanMa Lopez who looks to be a future top 10 p4p fighter. Hes the new pride of Puerto Rico. He simply does it all, and after his last fight no one can question his toughness. Hes got it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaP_BXm_q50

On the same card we got Gamboa who is almost like the Cuban version of a young Pacman. This guy is freaking explosive. He has some huge defensive liabilities but hes the kind of fighter you will always watch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPFYFfDXiWI

Hopefully Gamboa and Juanma can turn into a mega fight down the line. To me this is one of the biggest fights we have coming in the future.

Also fighting soon is Edwin Valero. This guy became an internet sensation for his streak of knocking all his opponents out in the first round. Rumors out of every gym he goes to is that this guy has the goods and when he hits the heavy bag everyone stops to watch.. He looks very wild in his fights but most say that's because he goes for early KO's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcFzyB-gJs

We also got another great Cuban amateur with over 300 fights, Erislandry Lara looks to among the top of the middleweight division. To me he is a cant miss prospect in probably the future best division in boxing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPciFgAQqdM&feature=related

Rumored to be on the Pacman/Clottey card is Saul Alvarez. 30 - 0, 19 year old Ginger Mexican is already a huge hit in Mexico. Right now top rank and GBP are fighting to try and sign him. It's hard to know how good he can be, but he looks like a real exciting fighter and I can easily see him being a pretty big star in boxing for years to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhpoOCD09bA

Feel free to post who your favorite prospects are and what you think about the ones I posted. Boxing's future looks real good!

2009mvp
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Big Lara fan, it's just a matter of time before he matures into a true middleweight. I can picture an awesome fight between he and Danny Jacobs sometime down the line for a MW crown. Grady Brewer's no joke too, I'm glad they're putting him in there with some legit competition early as opposed to a guy like Rigondeaux who has so much damn amateur experience and is already up there in age yet he's still being babied IMO.

Few agree with me on this, but assuming Gamboa/Juanma both win this week and go on to fight each other, I still think Chris John puts a clinic on the winner. Granted, they're both young and have a lot of experience to gain. I want to see if Gamboa's done wasting those long, wide arm punches he tends to throw far too often come Saturday.

I don't think you mentioned him, but Shawn Porter's been a pretty hot prospect since being one of Pac's primary sparring partners for the Cotto fight. He'll be on Friday Night Fights in a few weeks.

And because I love rooting for the Canandians, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention David Lemieux. He's a 21 year old MW with a 20-0 pro record and a ridiculous 100% KO rate. He hasn't made it out of Montreal yet so the competition obviously hasn't been spectacular, but he's a big, strong kid who I think will develop into a solid super-middleweight.

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Usually my interest ranges from 140 up to 175 but Edwin Valero has won me over as a fan with his ability to put his opposition to sleep.I've seen Gamboa on friday night fights a few times & I saw him win the belt that he currently owns & I say that without a doubt he's a future star.He's gotta a wide open style plus he can absorb punches just as well as he can deliver them.
A prospect that like is that kid from Rhode Island Andrade.He was on the 2008 olympic team.

2009mvp
01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
^^I believe Andrade was on FNF last week, I wish I had been able to get a look at him. From what I hear it was a pretty lackluster card though.

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 03:42 AM
^^I believe Andrade was on FNF last week, I wish I had been able to get a look at him. From what I hear it was a pretty lackluster card though.

Yeah he's been on fnf like 3 or 4 times now.I do think that he should start steppin up in competition a lil never the less he's still my favorite up & coming prospect.

AddiX
01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Andrade has skills, but I don't put him anywhere near Lara or Korobov.

I think Gamboa and JuanMa will eventually fight, but I think the promoters will try and build them up for a little longer. I also think Matagwa will give Gamboa more trouble than people think. JuanMa was lucky to make it out against him.

Valero is a real exciting prospect. But he really needs to step up his competition at this point.

2009mvp
01-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Alvarez just signed with GBP, so throw out the possibility of him fighting on the Pac/Clottey undercard.

ULT WARRIOR408
01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Andrade has skills, but I don't put him anywhere near Lara or Korobov.

I think Gamboa and JuanMa will eventually fight, but I think the promoters will try and build them up for a little longer. I also think Matagwa will give Gamboa more trouble than people think. JuanMa was lucky to make it out against him.

Valero is a real exciting prospect. But he really needs to step up his competition at this point.

I agree with what you said about Valero.I've posted on another thread that I would love to see him face off against JMM.It makes sense because they're the best two lightweights in the world.

AddiX
01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree with what you said about Valero.I've posted on another thread that I would love to see him face off against JMM.It makes sense because they're the best two lightweights in the world.

Honestly I think Quez is done. His fight with Diaz was amazing, and his true grit showed in that fight because IMO he pulled that fight out of his *** with his toughness and experience.

But his legs looked terrible in that fight, he didnt even attempt to get out of the way or move much, he just stood there and traded.

And if history serves us at all, coming down from 2 weight classes, after being in some tough fights sure wont do much to help his career last to much longer. Putting him in with a fresh killer like Valero could be pointless.

Havoc Wreaker
01-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Juan Manuel Lopez won pretty easy, even though that other guy connected a couple of shots. I think JML was starting to tire again towards the middle rounds, and I believe that if the fight vs Mtagwa was a minute longer, he would've lost via KO. He needs more seasoning, but he's pretty good.

AddiX
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Both fighters looked impressive, but I really cant imagine JuanMa wants any part of Gamboa after his performance. Gamboa was complete monster out there.

2009mvp
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
^^Gamboa's speed was just on another level. Mtagwa was probably the perfect opponent for him, but you still can't help but be impressed by what Gamboa showed last night. Juanma also looked great against much stiffer competition in Luevano. Anyways Arum doesn't sound like he's gonna let these two mix it up anytime soon, which is a shame because it would be a tremendously entertaining fight right now. They keep it up and they'll be able to headline a big-time PPV say 15 months from now though.

AddiX
02-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Future looks good, Lara won his toughest fight of his career.

Gamboa looked like a complete beast vs Mtagwa.

Lopez beat a very good fighter.

Guillermo just won by first round KO with a sick body shot.

Alvarez is fighting on May/Mosley.

And this weekend we get to see if Valero really has the goods.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
gamboa is a beast!

TheRedMarauder
02-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Valero is not a prospect. He's already been a 2 division champion. That said, he's not a great boxer, but hits extremely hard, has a big heart and is very fun to watch.

2009mvp
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Arum keeps pushing for Valero to jump to Jr. Welter for a fight with Tim Bradley. Baaad idea IMO. Bradley's just too big, too strong, too fast and too slick a boxer for Valero right now. Not sure why he feels the need to rush him, either defend your title at lightweight or commit to jumping to Jr. Welter and start with a fringe contender rather than arguably the best 140 pounder in the world.

ULT WARRIOR408
02-09-2010, 09:09 PM
^I would love to see a Valero/Bradley fight ,but yeah if it were to happen Valero would have to have a tuneup fight at 140lbs first.

AddiX
02-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I would be really surprised if Arum puts Valero in with Bradley. He def has something up his sleeve. Hell, HBO wont even allow any of the GBP Jr Welters anywhere near Bradley. Ortiz, Kahn, Maidana are all being protected from him, it's a joke.

2009mvp
02-12-2010, 12:25 AM
^^Speaking of jokes, Khan/Malignaggi seems to be the matchup now after JMM pulled out (I'm not quite sure why). I'm not sure why GBP and HBO seem to think people want to see Paulie in high-profile fights, but I most certainly don't. He's more entertaining in front of a microphone than he is inside a ring. Khan will walk through his punches, put him on his back, and move on the next chump GBP lines up instead of the Bradleys and Maidanas of the division.

AddiX
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
^^Speaking of jokes, Khan/Malignaggi seems to be the matchup now after JMM pulled out (I'm not quite sure why). I'm not sure why GBP and HBO seem to think people want to see Paulie in high-profile fights, but I most certainly don't. He's more entertaining in front of a microphone than he is inside a ring. Khan will walk through his punches, put him on his back, and move on the next chump GBP lines up instead of the Bradleys and Maidanas of the division.

He pulled out because hes being sacrificed like a lamb by GBP. Sure hes getting some good paydays, but they treated him like dirt since they had him. I think hes fed up with them.

Kahn/Malignaggi isnt a great fight but it's a good fight for Kahn to make his name in this country, especially in NY where the fight is going to be. People forget Kahn is still really young, and he could possibly be the muslim version of Golden Boy.

Famous6
02-27-2010, 11:23 PM
huge amir khan fan this guy is the next pacman same coach same fighting style and tactics

MJ-BULLS
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
gamboa looks like a beast!

LosAngeleros
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
El Canelo just had a dope KO this Saturday. They say he's fighting Matt Hatton on the Mosley undercard.

LosAngeleros
03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Abner Mares is also a top prospect, he fights on March 25

2009mvp
03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Someone wanna tell me what's so impressive about Alvarez? He's got a big right hand and not much else. Even a guy as limited as Matthew Hatton would give him trouble right now IMO. As far as I can tell it's simply a business thing. He was a hot commodity to promoters because of his potential drawing power with Mexicans/Mexican-Americans, but skill-wise I don't think he's there. Don't get me wrong, he's got some skills. He doesn't need to be coddled like JCC Jr., but I'm not sure he's this blue-chipper everyone's making him out to be.

LosAngeleros
03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
He's Mexican and 19 with power, that's what makes him big. And since he's so young people are only to think he is going to get better(hand speed and footwork). But the buzz for him is coming from Mexico, i haven't heard the media over here buzz or hype him yet....

AddiX
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Someone wanna tell me what's so impressive about Alvarez? He's got a big right hand and not much else. Even a guy as limited as Matthew Hatton would give him trouble right now IMO. As far as I can tell it's simply a business thing. He was a hot commodity to promoters because of his potential drawing power with Mexicans/Mexican-Americans, but skill-wise I don't think he's there. Don't get me wrong, he's got some skills. He doesn't need to be coddled like JCC Jr., but I'm not sure he's this blue-chipper everyone's making him out to be.

I agree with you man. The hype has more to do with him being a 19 year old good looking (no homo) ginger headed mexican. He could really be a big star if guided correctly and keeps learning.

The girls in Mexico go nuts for the kid, and hes one of the few young Mexican stars in the game right now, especially in a weight class that is stacked.

I dont see a great fighter when I see him, but I see the kind of fighter that can be breed to sell a lot of tickets and be extremely exciting.

LosAngeleros
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
^ your right on, he is 19 so there is tons he has to learn still and that's why you don't see a complete fighter yet. There are not many 19 year olds that can do what he's doing right now and creating the buzz he has going for himself. He seems to be carrying himself well right now with the pressure already being put on him in Mexico as the next great fighter. DLH is going to try to make Canelo the next him as far as the complete package and DLH knows he can do it with Canelo if he takes him along intelligently and slowly(as long as he remembers he is only 19). And not do to Canelo what he did to Victor Ortiz. But we will see as we will be seeing Canelo a lot in the U.S. this year.......

Famous6
03-13-2010, 01:23 PM
how are you guys forgetting amir khan? only 23 years old and is pacmans protege

AddiX
03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
how are you guys forgetting amir khan? only 23 years old and is pacmans protege

Amir has a great future, but I wouldnt call him a prospect, hes already a champion. He has some big fights in his future too. (bradley, alexander, Ortiz)

Famous6
03-27-2010, 05:53 PM
alvarez disapointed in his last fight

Phool™
03-27-2010, 10:42 PM
buy foreman grill

LosAngeleros
04-11-2010, 10:26 PM
i saw like 2 weeks ago Miguel Angel Garcia fight, he is signed to Top Rank. He looked VERY GOOD! i dont know if you guys have seen him yet, but he looks very talented.

AddiX
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Looks like we can cross Valero off the list, he was just accused of murdering his life.

LosAngeleros
04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
yup i just posted it, this foo is crazy!

Bravo95
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
wtf... didnt she just recently refuse to press charges after he beat her up last time? damn that's crazy

ULT WARRIOR408
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
buy foreman grill

What do you post this **** on every thread?I saw you post this same **** on another thread....Am I missing something?If so please fill me in.:confused:

ULT WARRIOR408
05-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Marcus Johnson looked pretty impressive tonight.He's got skill & talent at 168.

LosAngeleros
05-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Frankie Gomez did also.