PDA

View Full Version : Who's your NBA MVP at halfway point in season?

coloradobuff
01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
We are halfway through the season and am interested in seeing peoples thoughts on NBA MVP at the moment.

My top 3 choices are

Kobe

Lebron

Melo

Appreciate the input..may think of betting one side if get enough people to lean towards one player..peace

lakerboy
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I got KB man. LA was never 100% in the first half of the season, but Kobe led the Lakers (despite injuries) with the best record in the league.

Of course, we had one of the easiest schedule so far. The second half of the season would definitely be a better measuring stick.

GOON MUSIC
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Bean Bryant

bomber0104
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Obvious choices are Kobe, Lebron but You got to show Durant some love

FlakeyFool
01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
LeBron or Durant

NYMetros
01-21-2010, 11:15 AM
1. LeBron
2a. Kobe
2b. Durant

GiantMetKnick
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Lebron. Just because we're used to seeing him play at such a high level doesn't mean he isn't still the most valuable player to his team (and incidentally, the best player in the NBA)

bigsams50
01-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Lbj

LanceUpperCut
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I say it's Lebron hands down.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Right now, it's LeBron...and pretty easily so. He's easily playing the best basketball in the league, and is in first place in the East. It was Kobe about 3 weeks ago, it was LeBron before that, and will continue to flip-flop. LeBron has just been a lot better than Kobe of late...and his numbers are out of this world.

Durant and Melo are legit contenders too, but unless LeBron really falls off, or Cleveland plummets, his numbers and importance to his team are unparalleled.

Silent
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
kobe and lebron shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion

melo
durant

Impulse
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
LeBron.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Bet on Lebron, I don't think anyone else has a real chance.

GOON MUSIC
01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I got KB man. LA was never 100% in the first half of the season, but Kobe led the Lakers (despite injuries) with the best record in the league.

Of course, we had one of the easiest schedule so far. The second half of the season would definitely be a better measuring stick.

Because of this

TheKing23
01-21-2010, 11:32 AM
This is going to turn into another Kobe/LeBron thread as soon as the Lakers fans take control of it...

As this point in the season, LeBron without a shadow of a doubt.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Kobe by a mile

ManRam
01-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Kobe by a mile

How can you honestly, without a shadow of biasness, say that? I understand an argument for Kobe, but saying "by a mile" is flat out hilarious.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
well yall saying labron by a mile nobody said how can you say that see the bias here.

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
How can you honestly, without a shadow of biasness, say that? I understand an argument for Kobe, but saying "by a mile" is flat out hilarious.

What else could you expect from a kobe fan?? They don't give a **** on logic and common sense.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
i'm not sure who it is. we can say labron hes playing the best right now but thats only been like that for like you said about three weeks. before that it really was kobe by a mile labron wasn't playing that well. i do say what we are seeing kevin do is nice to see. time will tell

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
well yall saying labron by a mile nobody said how can you say that see the bias here.

There's a significant gap between Lebron and the rest of the candidates, so it's not unfair to use a metaphor such as "by a mile" when talking about his chances.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

I say it's Lebron hands down.

Right now, it's LeBron...and pretty easily so.

Bet on Lebron, I don't think anyone else has a real chance.

LeBron without a shadow of a doubt.

Only applies to me huh? Now thats flat out hilarious.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM
What else could you expect from a kobe fan?? They don't give a **** on logic and common sense.

i know you are not talking about me but come on he only said that because if you go through the first page that all you heard was bron by a mile. we all know that kobe is the most complete player maybe in NBA HISTORY. but come on you wanna say something because dude mentioned he thought it was kobe by a mile maybe he is talking about his body of work through out the season. hum i wonder.:eyebrow:

Unown99
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Go ahead and give the MVP to LBJ. Lately, whoever wins the MVP doesn't win the NBA Championship... ;)

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
i know you are not talking about me but come on he only said that because if you go through the first page that all you heard was bron by a mile. we all know that kobe is the most complete player maybe in NBA HISTORY. but come on you wanna say something because dude mentioned he thought it was kobe by a mile maybe he is talking about his body of work through out the season. hum i wonder.:eyebrow:

:eyebrow:

Bullsfan22
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
lebron..and kobe is starting to break down this season, he has started the decline.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
There's a significant gap between Lebron and the rest of the candidates, so it's not unfair to use a metaphor such as "by a mile" when talking about his chances.

how in the hell is it a significant gap when when up until a few week ago the mvp was clearly kobes to lose.:facepalm:

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:16 PM

that what i'm talking about here funk i asked if we really saw the bias. man these people. i thought the mvp was on the body of work.

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Sorry, but my comment now applies to you. You are welcome! (note: you buddy's comment was less hilarious than yours by a mile.)

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
:eyebrow:

well i already know what you are gonna say i meant to add in there just might be and you cant argue that fact can you.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Kobe has done way more for his team than Lebron has thus far.

Kobe had to carry his team even if he had to score 40 pts a games because Artest was Ingured, because Luke was Injured, because Gasol was Ingured and because our bench stinks and he still did it with a bad finger on his shooting hand and a bad back. He scored 3 game winners during the season, with out him his team would have lost those games. And that's why Kobe has being more valuable to his team in the first half of the season.

Right now, it's Kobe...and pretty easily so. So yes I say it's Kobe hands down. Kobe without a shadow of a doubt. Guys bet on Kobe, I don't think anyone else has a real chance.

KnicksorBust
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
This is going to turn into another Kobe/LeBron thread as soon as the Lakers fans take control of it...

As this point in the season, LeBron without a shadow of a doubt.

Shouldn't it though? Two best players in the world on the top teams in the league.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Sorry, but my comment now applies to you. You are welcome! (note: you buddy's comment was less hilarious than yours by a mile.)

please explain yourself my friend
trust i will have this mug shut down.;)

KnicksorBust
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Kobe has done way more for his team than Lebron has thus far.

Kobe had to carry his team even if he had to score 40 pts a games because Artest was Ingured, because Luke was Injured, because Gasol was Ingured and because our bench stinks and he still did it with a bad finger on his shooting hand and a bad back. He scored 3 game winners during the season, with out him his team would have lost those games. T me Kobe has being more valuable to his team in the first half of the season.

I forgot Luke was out and the Lakers kept winning. Kobe hands down.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
what do you mean he runs the offense for our bench when he comes in he's part of the team.

Bullsfan22
01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
well i already know what you are gonna say i meant to add in there just might be and you cant argue that fact can you.

dude you lost all your credability with what you said. if that guy decides to waste his time and destroy your little theory of kobe being the most complete player in nba history it would be fairly easy.

JasonJohnHorn
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
STEPHAN JACKSON!!!!! He went from the least valuable player to the most valuable player as soon as he was traded! Now, I know there are no way stats could back this up, but look at how the Bobcats have been doing since his arrival.

Seriously, Jackson is more jsut giving some love for a troubled/underrated player who is finally hitting his stride for the first time in a while.

LBJ I think would be the clear cut favorite. His numbers are insane, and his team is almost completely dependant on him. Take Kobe off the Lakers and the Lakers (I think) are still a playoff team. Take LBJ away from the Cavs.... and they'd have a good chance of getting that Wall kid. But with LBJ they have the best record in the EAst, despite a slow start.

My number two pick would be Duncan. I know most out there won't agree, but Duncan is a rock and continues to do all the things that earned him two MVPs in the past and has been a huge help while his team is on the road as well be being a defensive presnece in the post and helping rooki DuJuan Blair develop into a consistent starter.

Tyreke Evans shoudl get a nod, even though the Kings are a long shot to make the palyoffs, they are still doing well in a tough West and are doign far better than expected. Durant deserves some love as well. And Nash, who seems to be able to keep the Suns in the playoff hunt regardless of how many talented players they dump tos ave money every year. And Billups- everybody give props to Melo but it was Chauncey who helped turn the Denver team around last year and has been keeping it on track this season. No disrespect to Melo, who is having a great year, but Billups is the heart and soul of that Nuggets Squad in my eyes. Wade is obviously derserving of mention as well since that Heat squad would likely be cellar dwellar without him, and the same could be said for Bosh. But helping teams be playoff teams and helping them be contenders is two completely different things, and LBJ is helping to make his team a contender.

Joe Johnson has been an anchor for the Hawks, but that is a team effort there, and everybody depends on everybody else. Orlando, Dallas, and Boston are much the same, though Howard is the clear anchor for the Magic.

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
please explain yourself my friend
trust i will have this mug shut down.;)

Jeez!! I dont need to explain and waste my time on one of the most ******** comments I've ever seen here in PSD. Wait, more responses are coming from other users! Everyone will give you a shot if (ofcourse) he/she is not another Laker fan.;)

20R8ersfaN08
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Kobe!!!!

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:27 PM
i would expect that coming from a bulls fan
just so you know people are scared to say it but kobes game is more complete than yes your micheal jordans. hell he plays against way better defenses. but thats another thread start it and i will gladly come see you there.

Bullsfan22
Jeez!! I dont need to explain and waste my time on one of the most ******** comments I've ever seen here in PSD. Wait, more responses are coming from other users! Everyone will give you a shot if (ofcourse) he/she is not another Laker fan.;)

not much laker fans in this forum, just kobe fans.

G-Funk

How does it feel that Wade is not even near the Discussion as the best player? I would be very bitter as well.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
not much laker fans in this forum, just kobe fans. Don't forget to mention Kobe haters

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
i like the way everyone says take kobe of the lakers and the lakers are still in the playoffs. miss me with that. take kobe of this years laker team and we are a lottery team hands down. with all the injurys we've had this year.

LanceUpperCut
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Lakers fans say Kobe
everyone else says Lebron, even the fans who hate him.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
not much laker fans in this forum, just kobe fans.

please i'm a laker fan most and for most before anything. but i am also a basket ball fan and know what the hell i'm watching every time i take in a game and know not just numbers tell the story.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I forgot Luke was out and the Lakers kept winning. Kobe hands down.
Yup, It hurt the bench a lot specially with Lamar starting.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Lakers fans say Kobe

everyone know you are either a laker fan or a laker hater. nomater what team you are going for. you always go against the lakers. kinda like the yanks. any new yorkers in here that can colab that statement.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
i guess nobody wants to say anything more.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Lakers fans say Kobe

everyone else??? The only ppl who are choosing Lebron are the Kobe haters of this Forum and ur probably the biggest 1.

albertc86
Kobe if healthy. LeBron otherwise.

vitamins_

melo
durant

Agree 100% with this. Melo has been unreal this year.

clutchski
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM

melo
durant

If you're taking into account the teams record (and it typically is), Lebron and Kobe should be on this list. I think Durant is pretty damn close to the top if it weren't for a less significant, but still impressive team record. I also question how great the nuggets would be if it were just Melo without Billups.

So mine I have:

1a) Lebron
1b) Kobe
2) Durant
3) Melo

LanceUpperCut
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
everyone else??? The only ppl who are choosing Lebron are the Kobe haters of this Forum and ur probably the biggest 1.

You guys are like a bunch of little kids. Think what you want I'm not a fan of either Kobe or Lebron but I know there the two best, and right now Lebron is better, cry all you want about Kobe haters theres just as many Lebron haters if not more.

G-Funk
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
You guys are like a bunch of little kids. Think what you want I'm not a fan of either Kobe or Lebron but I know there the two best, and right now Lebron is better, cry all you want about Kobe haters theres just as many Lebron haters if not more.

Your the one who always goes out if his way to diss Kobe. and you calling us little kids. You need a different agenda buddy

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:44 PM
If you're taking into account the teams record (and it typically is), Lebron and Kobe should be on this list. I think Durant is pretty damn close to the top if it weren't for a less significant, but still impressive team record. I also question how great the nuggets would be if it were just Melo without Billups.

So mine I have:

1a) Lebron
1b) Kobe
2) Durant
3) Melo

you do make a great case but melo should be mentioned he is starting to get it.

LanceUpperCut
01-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Your the one who always goes out if his way to diss Kobe. and you calling us little kids. You need a different agenda buddy

I go out of my way to diss Kobe cause I think LBJ is the MVP this season.:clap: I can see this is point less.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM

please i'm a grown *** man. now to respond to the later of your comment yes lebron is playing better right now but he hasn't been for the whole year. everyone is basing thier picks off of right now.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM

I was hoping you'd catch me red handed. The difference is, I explained why I thought it was LeBron fairly easily. You didn't.

LeBron is having the better year. He deserves the MVP. Of the 4 main candidates (Melo, Durant, Kobe, LeBron), if you took Kobe of his team, they'd suffer the least. He's the most important player to his team (they are called the Cleveland LeBrons for a reason), and is having by far the better statistical season.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
no we really aren't trying to go at you its just that funk said that he thought that kobe was the mvp by a mile and everyone attacked him.

albertc86
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
please i'm a grown *** man. now to respond to the later of your comment yes lebron is playing better right now but he hasn't been for the whole year. everyone is basing thier picks off of right now.

Good point. Kobe would still be ahead if not for his injury woes. LeBron should outplay Kobe tonight but that shouldn't be an indicator of anything except that Kobe isn't 100%.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I was hoping you'd catch me red handed. The difference is, I explained why I thought it was LeBron fairly easily. You didn't.

LeBron is having the better year. He deserves the MVP. Of the 4 main candidates (Melo, Durant, Kobe, LeBron), if you took Kobe of his team, they'd suffer the least. He's the most important player to his team (they are called the Cleveland LeBrons for a reason), and is having by far the better statistical season.

are you sure about that. the cavs have suffered next to no injurys this year. now the lakers on the other hand. you take kobe off that team this year and we my not even be able to recover enough to make the playoffs.

da wood
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Good point. Kobe would still be ahead if not for his injury woes. LeBron should outplay Kobe tonight but that shouldn't be an indicator of anything except that Kobe isn't 100%.

hell lebron didnt out play kobe on christmas day. but his team out played ours.

MFFL2008
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
DIRK of course!! Who else is there?!!

albertc86
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
hell lebron didnt out play kobe on christmas day. but his team out played ours.

Man, I think back to last season when I think of the supposed Kobe versus LeBron rivalry. I think of the game that Kobe was ill and LeBron still had the respect not to test him. Kobe was still hitting shots over LeBron and LeBron looked timid at times to test Kobe. If that isn't respect then I don't know what is. LeBron knows that Kobe is still big brother.

rick66ankiel24
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Aside from the steve nash incident 5 years back they have been giving it to someone different every year lately.. my choice for mvp right now would be Kevin Durant, keep in mind that it's not the best player in the league, its the most valuable player TO HIS TEAM and without Durant the thunder would be back in the cellar of the west instead of 6 games over or whatever they are right now.. the voters are going to love him if he leads them to the playoffs

albertc86
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Durant won't win MVP. The league and voters put a lot of emphasis on record and being the 1st or 2nd seed.

da wood
01-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Aside from the steve nash incident 5 years back they have been giving it to someone different every year lately.. my choice for mvp right now would be Kevin Durant, keep in mind that it's not the best player in the league, its the most valuable player TO HIS TEAM and without Durant the thunder would be back in the cellar of the west instead of 6 games over or whatever they are right now.. the voters are going to love him if he leads them to the playoffs

you do have a point there i like that. now check this out with all the injurys the lakers have had to deal with this year where do you think the lakers would be right now if you took kobe off that team just a thought.

albertc86
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
In all fairness, if you remove any superstar or best player from their team, of course the team record will suffer greatly.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Lakers fans say Kobe

This ^

you do have a point there i like that. now check this out with all the injurys the lakers have had to deal with this year where do you think the lakers would be right now if you took kobe off that team just a thought.

They'd still be a playoff team, Odom, Bynum, and Artest have missed only 7 games combined, and Shannon Brown could do an adequate job stepping in as a starter.

It's no secret that Kobe likes to play outside the system and get his during the regular season.

da wood
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
you do have a point al

da wood
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
This ^

They'd still be a playoff team, Odom, Bynum, and Artest have missed only 7 games combined, and Shannon Brown could do an adequate job stepping in as a starter.

It's no secret that Kobe likes to play outside the system and get his during the regular season.

man what the hell you talking about and all them guys you named are mostly bench guys and you named nobody that a first or second option. in your claim. and cmbined they have missed more than that.

showtym24
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Mamba

jim51990
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
1.bron
2. Durant
3. Kobe
4. Rondo ( he has carried one of the best teams threw injuries and has been the best player even when everyone was healthy)

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:18 PM
man what the hell you talking about and all them guys you named are mostly bench guys and you named nobody that a first or second option. in your claim. and cmbined they have missed more than that.

I'd appreciate it if you could re-read and edit your posts because it's difficult for me to accurately understand what you are saying.

The Lakers have played 41 games: Bynum (39), Artest (36), Odom (41). That's seven games missed for those three. All of those guys are quality NBA starters or better, in fact, I'd say each one is Top 50 in the NBA right now.

And of course you'd still have Gasol for 24 games. I'd say the Lakers would be 26-15 and that would be the 8th best record in the NBA.

Kobe is a great player, but the Lakers still make the playoffs without him because they are loaded with talent and a great coach.

ko8e24bryant
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
1. kobe
2. lebron
3. Nash

Nash is playing better now
than he was when he won the mvp
in those back to back seasons

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
For me its LeBron. He had to overcome a slow start with a new teammate, and has his team leading the east with 32 wins, and 17 of those wins on the road, for a +14 road wins to home losses gain. Kobe has been right there too, but the Lakers record is more indicative of them playing barely any road games. LeBrons numbers are also better.

LeBron
Kobe
Dirk (everyone thought Dallas was on the slide, guess not)
Melo
Joe Johnson (simply because Atlanta must be taken as a real team now)
Durant (6 games over .500 for the first time in 5 years, when Durant was in 10th grade)

Kobes a Killer
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
How can you take that away from Kobe the fact that he's led the lakers to the NBA best record without pau with a broken finger and a bad back give lebron all those disadvantages and they're 5th or 6th in the east nevermind if the cavs were in the west

da wood
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd appreciate it if you could re-read and edit your posts because it's difficult for me to accurately understand what you are saying.

The Lakers have played 41 games: Bynum (39), Artest (36), Odom (41). That's seven games missed for those three. All of those guys are quality NBA starters or better, in fact, I'd say each one is Top 50 in the NBA right now.

And of course you'd still have Gasol for 24 games. I'd say the Lakers would be 26-15 and that would be the 8th best record in the NBA.

Kobe is a great player, but the Lakers still make the playoffs without him because they are loaded with talent and a great coach.

re read what i said. this isnt an essay i just type what i think. but come on pau out with is enough to take kobe of and we wont make the playoffs. we havent even included key bench guys.

tredigs
01-21-2010, 01:26 PM
LBJ is the clear cut favorite, he really is. He is the best player statistically, absolutely carries his team on a nightly basis, plays every game (sorry Kobe, you don't get pity points for playing through nagging injuries and struggling mightily, take a week off old man), and is just better, no other way to put it.

Next I'd have Durant, who's reshaping a lottery team into a legit contender in the WEST, all with Lebronesque numbers (Lebron being the better passer but Durant getting to the line more and hitting at a nearly 88% clip).

Then I have Dirk -- how this guy is not getting more love is beyond me -- Nowitzki and then Kobe. Honorable mentions to Melo, Nash and Duncan.

Any four of these guys can win it (any 7 really), but it truly is Lebron's to lose, the guy is a g'damn MACHINE.

PS: hilarious to me how nobody with a Kobe/Laker screen name will say Lebron. They would gain SO much credibility if they just took a step back from their little vicarious-life-ego that they live through Kobe and respect LBJ for what he's done this year.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I think Duncan and Bosh are at least worth mentioning if we are adding in Dirk, Melo, JJ, and Kobe.

da wood
01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
For me its LeBron. He had to overcome a slow start with a new teammate, and has his team leading the east with 32 wins, and 17 of those wins on the road, for a +14 road wins to home losses gain. Kobe has been right there too, but the Lakers record is more indicative of them playing barely any road games. LeBrons numbers are also better.

LeBron
Kobe
Dirk (everyone thought Dallas was on the slide, guess not)
Melo
Joe Johnson (simply because Atlanta must be taken as a real team now)
Durant (6 games over .500 for the first time in 5 years, when Durant was in 10th grade)

i will even accept that hawk. we have been in here going at it with everyone. everyone was sayin lebron by a mile and somebody said kobe by a mile and the war started but i will accept that because you looked at the year as a whole. hats off to ya.

Young and Stupid
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
How can you take that away from Kobe the fact that he's led the lakers to the NBA best record without pau with a broken finger and a bad back give lebron all those disadvantages and they're 5th or 6th in the east nevermind if the cavs were in the west

:laugh: This thread just proves why I can't stand Laker fans.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
re read what i said. this isnt an essay i just type what i think. but come on pau out with is enough to take kobe of and we wont make the playoffs. we havent even included key bench guys.

Brown and Farmar haven't missed a game.

Jamiecballer
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM

he didn't diss kobe he just stated a fact???

how is calling Kobe and Lebron the best 2 players in the game an insult to Kobe?

it's true. all the people saying kobe have laker sigs or are from California. no need to get defensive about it.

tredigs
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I think Duncan and Bosh are at least worth mentioning if we are adding in Dirk, Melo, JJ, and Kobe.

Duncan yes, Bosh no. Bosh plays for a team with a losing record in the EAST, his beastness aside, he deserves no mention.

WITZ
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
1.Lebron

2.Kobe/Durant

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Duncan yes, Bosh no. Bosh plays for a team with a losing record in the EAST, his beastness aside, he deserves no mention.

Bosh is playing with some jokers though, he's literally got to do everything. Guard the opposing best big man (even if it's their center), guard Bargnani's man, guard Calderon's man. On offense, he's the only post presence they have, and really, outside of Bargnani, their isn't a perimeter threat on the team to help him out. I wish the Raptors would run this lineup to close games:

PG Jack
SG Hedo/Derozan (depends on how quick the opposing 2 guard is)
SF Bargnani
PF Amir Johnson
C Bosh

His team record hurts him, and I hardly consider him a real candidate, just thought he deserves a couple 3rd place votes or so.

epizo1
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
If LA has no Kobe the Lakers are 29-12 at best (three buzzer beaters) which puts them behind Cleveland. And I don't understand how many just overlook the numerous injuries Kobe is playing through. He has shown the injuries are affecting him the last week or two but if you look at the body of work of both players to this point, IMO, Kobe's is the most impressive because he is playing hurt. Isn't that valuable to a team when your leader guts it out and leads by example? Now, if I thought winning the MVP mattered to Kobe as opposed to winning a ship than I guess he would have sat out games so as to not hurt his overall stats and averages. But that's just my impartial opinion as is my choice for MVP thus far. Last year LBJ was clear cut but this year a case can be made for both I guess. I just happen to believe Kobe is MVP to this point.

EVER, GREATEST
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
lebron..and kobe is starting to break down this season, he has started the decline.

Lol. started to decline? :eyebrow:
obviously you haven't been watching the the season lately.

Kobe was the most dominant player second to Carmelo's insane play for the first half of the season.

Declining? please. How about you try to play basketball with a broken finger, hyper extended elbow, and back spasms.

tredigs
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Bosh is playing with some jokers though, he's literally got to do everything. Guard the opposing best big man (even if it's their center), guard Bargnani's man, guard Calderon's man. On offense, he's the only post presence they have, and really, outside of Bargnani, their isn't a perimeter threat on the team to help him out. I wish the Raptors would run this lineup to close games:

PG Jack
SG Hedo/Derozan (depends on how quick the opposing 2 guard is)
SF Bargnani
PF Amir Johnson
C Bosh

His team record hurts him, and I hardly consider him a real candidate, just thought he deserves a couple 3rd place votes or so.

Fair enough, some 3rd place votes is completely fair for that beast. Though I don't know who I'd put him over, too many players having ridiculous seasons this year. Got ourselves a new golden age?

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM

??? Cleveland has a 3.5 game lead on the 2nd seed in the east, while trying to adjust to Shaq. The Cavs have also played 25 away games, compared to 18 home games, and have 32 wins.
The Lakers have 32 wins as well. But they have played 26 home games, and 15 road games. Bynum stepped up big while Pau missed the first 15 games, and the Lakers opened the season with 11 straight home games
Couple all that with LeBron having better numbers, and its a pretty easy decision.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM
If LA has no Kobe the Lakers are 29-12 at best (three buzzer beaters) which puts them behind Cleveland. And I don't understand how many just overlook the numerous injuries Kobe is playing through. He has shown the injuries are affecting him the last week or two but if you look at the body of work of both players to this point, IMO, Kobe's is the most impressive because he is playing hurt. Isn't that valuable to a team when your leader guts it out and leads by example? Now, if I thought winning the MVP mattered to Kobe as opposed to winning a ship than I guess he would have sat out games so as to not hurt his overall stats and averages. But that's just my impartial opinion as is my choice for MVP thus far. Last year LBJ was clear cut but this year a case can be made for both I guess. I just happen to believe Kobe is MVP to this point.

1. Who's to say that another laker doesn't make 1, 2, or all 3 buzzer beaters?
2. Playing injured doesn't make you more valuable, though I certainly respect Kobe for it. In fact, based on some of the recent performances by Kobe (4-21 vs Mil, 4-19 against Orlando, 14-37 vs Portland), I'd say it makes him less valuable.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
i will even accept that hawk. we have been in here going at it with everyone. everyone was sayin lebron by a mile and somebody said kobe by a mile and the war started but i will accept that because you looked at the year as a whole. hats off to ya.

well, its not by a mile, its by a hair. Kobe has had to hit 3 game winners I think, for a team that is on everyone's radar to beat. Cleveland no doubt brings out the A- game from other teams, but the Lakers get the other teams best every single night. Kobe has an argument for MVP, remove him from that team and they fall apart most likely. LeBron has just been killing it though, and has played a tougher schedule, and the Cavs embarrassed the Lakers earlier this season. So LeBron has the lead, FOR NOW.
Tonights game will be yet another factor, as will the remaining 40 games.
To say anyone is clear cut, and ahead with no conversation is stupid. I think only the ROY is a clear cut at this point, and that could even change

THE MTL
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Its Lebron James.

But I consider a true MVP someone who leds their team and is the sole reason why they are good. Orlando, Cleveland, Boston, and LA has all the MVP candidates but those teams are stacked as hell.

I look at teams like: The Thunder who are 24-18 (same team who only won 23 games last season) and look at the play of Kevin Durant. Thats a real MVP to me.

Or a team like: San Antonio who has had disappointing seasons from Jefferson, Ginobli, Parker as well as injuries and for them to be Top 4 with Duncan once again at 20-10. Tim Duncan is an MVP.

However, since winning is stressed so much for the MVP candidate. Its Lebron. His level of play is ridiculously high!

mshan5
01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
LeBron's enjoying his best statistical season, but Durant should get a lot more recognition. Watching him play is amazing. He puts up 30+ every night and doesn't force any shots (IE: Kobe, Melo). He does everything within the flow of the game.

Kobes a Killer
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Ahahahahaha kobes declining???? Hilarious man that's real funny, and to whoever said Kobe should sit out a week the old man.,... Wow people are arogant Kobe knows homecourt throught the playoff is sooooo important considering Cleveland had the leagues best record by only one game last year every damn game counts and Kobe knows it. I also think melo shouldn't even be top 5 for MVP because he's nit the true MVP if that team they struggle like crazy when billups is out of the line up he single handly turned that team around... And to that guy who said okc was a contender....come on man don't kid yourself they aren't there yet holmie

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Its Lebron James.

But I consider a true MVP someone who leds their team and is the sole reason why they are good. Orlando, Cleveland, Boston, and LA has all the MVP candidates but those teams are stacked as hell.

I look at teams like: The Thunder who are 24-18 (same team who only won 23 games last season) and look at the play of Kevin Durant. Thats a real MVP to me.

Or a team like: San Antonio who has had disappointing seasons from Jefferson, Ginobli, Parker as well as injuries and for them to be Top 4 with Duncan once again at 20-10. Tim Duncan is an MVP.

However, since winning is stressed so much for the MVP candidate. Its Lebron. His level of play is ridiculously high!

I always tried to view it this way as well. But then I realized that the reason it usually comes from a top team, is, its REALLY hard to stay on top. Therefore, its fair that only a contender have a chance to sport an MVP, unless there is a player in the 2nd tier of team (ie, a losing team should never have a player who wins MVP), who is just killing it. Durant may fit this bill. However, Kobe is keeping the reigning champs on top, despite injuries to his team and himself, while other teams are gunning for them, and LeBron is yet again carrying an average cast to the #1 seed in the east. And both of those players have great numbers.

epizo1
01-21-2010, 01:51 PM
1. Who's to say that another laker doesn't make 1, 2, or all 3 buzzer beaters?
2. Playing injured doesn't make you more valuable, though I certainly respect Kobe for it. In fact, based on some of the recent performances by Kobe (4-21 vs Mil, 4-19 against Orlando, 14-37 vs Portland), I'd say it makes him less valuable.

1. Fair enough. Someone may have stepped in and made them. But who's to say we would have even been in the game without Kobe.

2. The stats you pointed out are exactly why I said Kobe has his mind on other goals. Say HCA and a ship. You respect him for it, that's cool and I respect you for acknowledging it, but wouldn't his teammates respect him that much more as well? Wouldn't you want to elevate your game seeing your floor general take a beating. That, to me atleast, is invaluable.

FNM BOY
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
just so you know people are scared to say it but kobes game is more complete than yes your micheal jordans. hell he plays against way better defenses. but thats another thread start it and i will gladly come see you there.

From that statment Its obvious you are youngin or don't know much about basketball during MJ's time...Do you know how soft the game has gotten?? Do you know that Jordan played against intense hand checking??? Today you cant even touch these premaddonas without the whistle being blown...I would love to see Kobe against the Dennis Rodman's, Bill Laimbeer's, and Rick Mahorns of the Detroit Bad Boys when the refs allowed players to be tackled back in the day....anyway this is pointless. You have your Kobe blockers on...anyone who knows the game knows that it was much tougher to score back then when the game wasnt a sissy game.:facepalm: Thats a really dumb statement to say the least.

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
2. The stats you pointed out are exactly why I said Kobe has his mind on other goals. Say HCA and a ship. You respect him for it, that's cool and I respect you for acknowledging it, but wouldn't his teammates respect him that much more as well? Wouldn't you want to elevate your game seeing your floor general take a beating. That, to me atleast, is invaluable.

But what Laker has elevated their game this year?

If anything, as a teammate watching Kobe miss 20 shots a game (instead of realizing he's hurt and either faciliating more or taking a break) would be kind of disheartening.

Kobes a Killer
01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
For the guy who's waiting for Kobe fans to give lebron some respect well hell man were waiting for some lebron fans to give Kobe some credit, plus Kobe isn't a cocky show off like lebron is, man that guys arrogant anyway I'll tell you right now yes someday lebron will pass Kobe someday the words lebron is the best player alive will come out if my mouth but not today kobes just better in every way besides lebrons passing and it's only a hair better. And the Christmas day game kobes numbers were way better 37-11-8 the cavs just had the better team that day mo was going off and the refs didn't help either but I know that's no excuse

epizo1
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
But what Laker has elevated their game this year?

If anything, as a teammate watching Kobe miss 20 shots a game (instead of realizing he's hurt and either faciliating more or taking a break) would be kind of disheartening.

The recent game in Dallas, the day after the SA game in which Kobe's back spasms occurred, was a great team win in which Artest and Odom really lead the Lakers to the win that night. I understand it is just one game, I just wanted to give an example of guys stepping up. The Bench has played much, much better since the Portland debacle and this past month Kobe has either lead the Lakers in assists or close to the team leader game in and game out. Hey man, we can go around in circles but either one of them deserves it. Just as long as LA wins another one :)

ChiSox219
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
The recent game in Dallas, the day after the SA game in which Kobe's back spasms occurred, was a great team win in which Artest and Odom really lead the Lakers to the win that night. I understand it is just one game, I just wanted to give an example of guys stepping up. The Bench has played much, much better since the Portland debacle and this past month Kobe has either lead the Lakers in assists or close to the team leader game in and game out. Hey man, we can go around in circles but either one of them deserves it. Just as long as LA wins another one :)

I think the Orlando game is a good example of the team stepping up, but over the course of the season, no one is having a career year, most guy's #'s are either equal to last year's or worse.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 02:14 PM
From that statment Its obvious you are youngin or don't know much about basketball during MJ's time...Do you know how soft the game has gotten?? Do you know that Jordan played against intense hand checking??? Today you cant even touch these premaddonas without the whistle being blown...I would love to see Kobe against the Dennis Rodman's, Bill Laimbeer's, and Rick Mahorns of the Detroit Bad Boys when the refs allowed players to be tackled back in the day....anyway this is pointless. You have your Kobe blockers on...anyone who knows the game knows that it was much tougher to score back then when the game wasnt a sissy game.:facepalm: Thats a really dumb statement to say the least.

we have no idea how Kobe would haev faired against the physical contact that was allowed back then. One part of me says he would have been fine, with his toughness and mental strength. The other says he would have suffered, because Kobe does not like contact, and it has been shown. But the point is, we don't know.
You are 1000000000% correct though. It is a girl's league now compared to what it was. The "Jordan rules" were to not let him get thru the lane without cheapshotting him and manhandling him. You could literally hold players with both arms on the perimeter when they didn't have the ball, and could use a hand on them at all times when they did have the ball. It was much harder to score then. Jordan played against much tougher defenses than they have now. Which is why I say he would average 40 ppg today if he were a 28 year old. But that is another thread. THis is who is MVP now

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 02:18 PM
For the guy who's waiting for Kobe fans to give lebron some respect well hell man were waiting for some lebron fans to give Kobe some credit, plus Kobe isn't a cocky show off like lebron is, man that guys arrogant anyway I'll tell you right now yes someday lebron will pass Kobe someday the words lebron is the best player alive will come out if my mouth but not today kobes just better in every way besides lebrons passing and it's only a hair better. And the Christmas day game kobes numbers were way better 37-11-8 the cavs just had the better team that day mo was going off and the refs didn't help either but I know that's no excuse

actually, statistically speaking, LeBron is now better across the board. They are basically equal in usage and offensive rebounding rate, but everything else is LeBron, by quite a bit actually. Just saying. I think that if we are looking at careers, then Kobe is easily better. But Laker fans need to realize, that LeBron is not "going" to pass Kobe individually, he already has. Its simply a pass of the torch, there is no reason to read into this and say its a slant to Kobe. In 5 years, LeBron will be giving it to someone else. That is life peeps

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 02:19 PM

actually, statistically speaking, LeBron is now better across the board. They are basically equal in usage and offensive rebounding rate, but everything else is LeBron, by quite a bit actually. Just saying. I think that if we are looking at careers, then Kobe is easily better. But Laker fans need to realize, that LeBron is not "going" to pass Kobe individually, he already has. Its simply a pass of the torch, there is no reason to read into this and say its a slant to Kobe. In 5 years, LeBron will be giving it to someone else. That is life peeps
And quite honestly, STATISTICALLY speaking, even Kobe's best year in 05-06' wasn't as high as LeBrons career AVERAGE. But these are only stats

tredigs
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Ahahahahaha kobes declining???? Hilarious man that's real funny, and to whoever said Kobe should sit out a week the old man.,... Wow people are arogant Kobe knows homecourt throught the playoff is sooooo important considering Cleveland had the leagues best record by only one game last year every damn game counts and Kobe knows it. I also think melo shouldn't even be top 5 for MVP because he's nit the true MVP if that team they struggle like crazy when billups is out of the line up he single handly turned that team around... And to that guy who said okc was a contender....come on man don't kid yourself they aren't there yet holmie

Translate that into English and I'll respond to it.

UrbanGenius
01-21-2010, 02:22 PM
This is not even fair one guy (kobe) is just a scorer and the other guy (LBJ) is leads the league in scoring and torches kobe and everybody else in the convo in all other major catagori:mad:es

ko8e24
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Right Now:

1. LeBron James
2. Unhealthy Kobe Bryant
3. Carmelo Anthony

At Season's End:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony

Chacarron
01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
To me the MVP so far is Lebron James. There is no way in hell this young man does not deserve the MVP. His numbers are sexy, his team record is top 2. As much as I like the Lakers and root for one of his players to win MVP, Lebron just makes it look easy out there, averaging good numbers on offense and defense. I would really like to see Kevin Durant win the MVP award though because of the turn around he has made with his team.

TheKing23
01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Right Now:

1. LeBron James
2. Unhealthy Kobe Bryant
3. Carmelo Anthony

At Season's End:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. LeBron James
3. Carmelo Anthony

If Kobe doesn't rest for a few games he won't magically get better. The injuries he's suffering are made a lot worse by attempting to play though it. It's a catch 22 for him though... Continue to play at 75% but possibly hurt your team because of it, or sit out and lose even more ground in the race to MVP.

If LeBron continues his outrageous play and the Cavs get the top seed in the East he's got it no doubt. It's a shame because a fully healthy Kobe would've made it a closer thing but I can see LeBron running away with it after the all-star break.

Cowboys123456
01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Bosh (League leader in double doubles)

lol

BigEric
01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
I'd vote for Durant.

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Lakers fans say Kobe

Fixed. Truth of the season. props to you dude.

iggypop123
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM
lebron has already passed kobe. he is the most gifted athlete thats ever come to sports. he gets by one just gifts not skill. at this point in his career kobe knows lebron is better but he knows i can still beat him and with titles

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Very strong defense. But is it post D or perimeter D? Already started finding all the excuses? You laker fans show magic everytime I log in here in PSD!! Jeez!!

Pastor Richie
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Let me offer up another name....Dirk.
On a team where Marion, Howard and Terry were all supposed to pick up some of the scoring, Dirk has pretty much carried the Mavericks so far this season. Certainly no shot at Kobe or James, but those teams were supposed to be good. Some papers picked the Mavs missing the Playoffs.
Just something to think about

nipo10847
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
To me the MVP so far is Lebron James. There is no way in hell this young man does not deserve the MVP. His numbers are sexy, his team record is top 2. As much as I like the Lakers and root for one of his players to win MVP, Lebron just makes it look easy out there, averaging good numbers on offense and defense. I would really like to see Kevin Durant win the MVP award though because of the turn around he has made with his team.

Dude, You are probably the first Laker fan who was being honest to accept and to mention the truth. This is crazy!! Now I haven't read the later posts yet, but I m sure you fellow laker fans (to be precise read kobe fans) are gonna hate you from the point they go through your post.

CAVS21
01-21-2010, 03:27 PM

No way....you guys played 15 road games son...15....the cavs WON 17 road games....so IMHO

LeBron

Durantula

Kobe

AI4MVP
01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
LeBron James

BronxBombers3
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Nate Robinson

RadiantShot
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Lebron James.
Nobody has matched his style of play this season so far for the most part. Of course there are stats other players will win in other categories, but as far as I'm concerned, it's an obvious choice.

I'd pick Durant, then Kobe afterwords. Durant is just doing so much for his team, despite there record, which is still above .500, he is leading his team, and has, what? 16 25+ point games. He's incredible this season. Kobe would be picked after because I feel like his productivity is slowing down. He's still great, but it feels like he had more firepower last season, and Durant + Lebron have really stepped up big lately.

Will say it's as close as a CM to who is after Lebron. Kobe's hit some amazing game winners this season..But, Durant's been more consistent on a nightly basis.

Raph12
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Between Kobe and Lebron... no one else is even close.

FNM BOY
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
we have no idea how Kobe would haev faired against the physical contact that was allowed back then. One part of me says he would have been fine, with his toughness and mental strength. The other says he would have suffered, because Kobe does not like contact, and it has been shown. But the point is, we don't know.
You are 1000000000% correct though. It is a girl's league now compared to what it was. The "Jordan rules" were to not let him get thru the lane without cheapshotting him and manhandling him. You could literally hold players with both arms on the perimeter when they didn't have the ball, and could use a hand on them at all times when they did have the ball. It was much harder to score then. Jordan played against much tougher defenses than they have now. Which is why I say he would average 40 ppg today if he were a 28 year old. But that is another thread. THis is who is MVP now

AGREED...but when a person makes an ignorant comment out of bias and try to base them as facts; there is a need to call them out...that said Lebron is the MVP now...best all around player inside/ outside, rebounds, assist, shot blocks etc.

Avenged
01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Going with Lebron James. Has better stats and his team record is 2nd overall. At this point it has to be him.

BigTimeLakerFan
01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I would have to say Kobe...he saved us from at least 3 games where he hit buzzer shots to win the game...1 against the heat 2 against the bucks and 3 against the kings. Even injured he's better than more than half the league. He hasnt played well the last couple games but overall I would have to say Kobe right now...not ready to pass the throne. Look at it this way he's injured and the Lakers are still #1 in the NBA...hate all you want Kobe is still the best!!!

sp1derm00
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I would have to say Kobe...he saved us from at least 3 games where he hit buzzer shots to win the game...1 against the heat 2 against the bucks and 3 against the kings. Even injured he's better than more than half the league. He hasnt played well the last couple games but overall I would have to say Kobe right now...not ready to pass the throne. Look at it this way he's injured and the Lakers are still #1 in the NBA...hate all you want Kobe is still the best!!!

Kobe has hit another game winner since then, against the Mavs.

Avenged
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM

That's more because the Lakers are so talented. It's not just Kobe running the show anymore.

bmanjones
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Kobe

kobebabe
01-21-2010, 04:19 PM
KB24 ( I choose him 1st becoz he has continued stella plays even when hurt and carried his team on his shoulders when Pau was injured. He is playing injured himself)

LBJ

Durant (I choose him over melo becoz melo has proved he can't carry his team alone when Chauncey is not playing)

mrtrey1992
01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
kobe bryant

magichatnumber9
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Kevin Durant is my MVP. He didn't start out as strong as the other two but he is making great strides in his development.

Bullsfan22
01-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Lol. started to decline? :eyebrow:
obviously you haven't been watching the the season lately.

Kobe was the most dominant player second to Carmelo's insane play for the first half of the season.

Declining? please. How about you try to play basketball with a broken finger, hyper extended elbow, and back spasms.

His body is breaking down, and he is in denial about it instead of letting it heal. I've watched plenty of lakers games to see he lacks the explosiveness he had just 2 years ago. He's starting to have back spasm which is a tell tell sign of future back problems. You can be in denial about it all you want but from what i have seen he is relying on his jumper and post up game, which is why he has games where he goes 5-20, 4-19, 7-24 from the field. Right now he is tied with monte ellis for the most shot attempts per game, what's so bad about that? monte ellis has arguably the least talent on his team (because of injuries), while kobe without a doubt have the most evident by the last laker game where he did all he can to lose the game taking bad shots yet his teammates was able to pull it out.

johnwayne
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
1. as much as i cant stand um... lebron

2.durant...u take durant off the roster and the thunder will have a worse record than the nets

3.kobe...3rd because the lakers are still a playoff team without bryant and he has way more help than lbj or kd

4. melo

johnwayne
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
KB24 ( I choose him 1st becoz he has continued stella plays even when hurt and carried his team on his shoulders when Pau was injured. He is playing injured himself)

LBJ

Durant (I choose him over melo becoz melo has proved he can't carry his team alone when Chauncey is not playing)

dont be biased because you're a lakers fan...you cant "carry" a team on your shoulders when u still have bynum,artest,odom, and fish...sorry but if lebron or kd switched spots with kobe, the lakers would only have like 5 losses by now...kobe is on the decline...lbj and kd are on the rise

deuces
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
brandon roy
he is leading his team who has half its players on the injury list while himself being injured to 9 games over .500 and 5th in the west while averaging career highs in points and fieldgoal %

GAWDtv
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
In the race, as of now, in this order:
LBJ
Durant
Stephen Jackson
Chris Bosh
Tim Duncan
D. Wade
Kobe Bryant
Josh Smith
Carmelo Anthony
Dirk Newitzky
Dewight Howard

RadiantShot
01-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Kobe fans can't vote. ;)

ManRam
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
So basically. Laker fans, sans a few, think Kobe. Most everyone else picks someone else.

LeBron is just having an unreal year. His numbers are off the charts good, and the Cavs are #1 in the East. Kobe has had to deal with injuries and injured teammates, but that doesn't make you a shoe in. With that logic, Brandon Roy should be #2 or #3. Also, the home game disparity between Cleveland and LA is ridiculous. It's been back and forth all year, Kobe has a chance to take it back if the Lakers dominate this upcoming road trip. If he doesn't, or the team doesn't...LeBron might seal the deal (even this early).

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
for those who love to point out that Kobe carried the Lakers when Pau missed 17 games, the Lakers were 14-3, with 13 of the games being in Staples center. Bynum went for around 19-11. You had Artest, and Odom. And a **** ton of home games. Kobe didn't really have to do that much to hold the fort down except be the usual 27/6/6 player he is. I am only saying it shouldn't be used as an argument FOR Kobe, when they were given the easiest schedule in the NBA out of the gate

lakerboy
01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
for those who love to point out that Kobe carried the Lakers when Pau missed 17 games, the Lakers were 14-3, with 13 of the games being in Staples center. Bynum went for around 19-11. You had Artest, and Odom. And a **** ton of home games. Kobe didn't really have to do that much to hold the fort down except be the usual 27/6/6 player he is. I am only saying it shouldn't be used as an argument FOR Kobe, when they were given the easiest schedule in the NBA out of the gate

Bynum was good, but Odom and Artest were very erratic.

Everybody's opinion is different. The Lakers with an injured Kobe is still number 1 in the NBA, and they missed Pau Gasol for 21 games.

Now if you're going to use the home court advantage as an argument, then what do we Laker fans can do right here? Kobe would have no chance to win, despite of his play, because of our schedule.

But hey, how important is the road trip really?. Look, we have an 8 game trip coming up.

@Cleveland
@NY
@Toronto
@Washington
@Indiana
@Philadelphia
@Boston
@Memphis

We can go 6-2 easily on this trip, and with that record, including the win tonight against the Cavs, would you say Kobe is MVP?

lakerboy
01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
LBJ
Durant
Stephen Jackson
Chris Bosh
Tim Duncan
D. Wade
Kobe Bryant
Josh Smith
Carmelo Anthony
Dirk Newitzky
Dewight Howard

OMG Stephen Jackson :facepalm:

RadiantShot
01-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Everybody's opinion is different. The Lakers with an injured Kobe is still number 1 in the NBA, and they missed Pau Gasol for 21 games.

Now if you're going to use the home court advantage as an argument, then what do we Laker fans can do right here? Kobe would have no chance to win, despite of his play, because of our schedule.

But hey, how important is the road trip really?. Look, we have an 8 game trip coming up.

@Cleveland
@NY
@Toronto
@Washington
@Indiana
@Philadelphia
@Boston
@Memphis

We can go 6-2 easily on this trip, and with that record, including the win tonight against the Cavs, would you say Kobe is MVP?

You could easily go 6-2 yes. All scrub teams besides Cleveland and Boston (Memphis is doing alright as well.) I would HOPE you could go 6-2, with those teams at least.

Would I say Kobe is MVP?
No, obviously not. I didn't say Lebron was MVP when I watched the first game where the Cavs just destroyed the Lakers Christmas day. Kobe could be good this game, but what ultimately tells me who's better, is watching all 4 games this season, and seeing who's the most consistent, and who takes over the most, who's got more flare, and will to win. That will tell me who's above the other, at least, for the most part.

Hawkeye15
01-21-2010, 05:47 PM

@Cleveland
@NY
@Toronto
@Washington
@Indiana
@Philadelphia
@Boston
@Memphis

well, that is why the thread is to the halfway point. Obviously, the Lakers will have a ton more road games than the Cavs in the second half. I don't think a single road trip does anything for me. I am simply saying. TO THIS POINT, Cleveland has had a tougher schedule, by a lot, and still has the #1 seed in the east, and LeBron has better numbers across the board.
Now, if after game 82, the Lakers have the better record, and Kobe is on par (or at least within reach of LeBron's stats, he will never catch LeBron in that way), then I would be willing to reconsider. For sure. This road trip is a big one though. Most of them are good teams. If they go 6-2, then yes, Kobe has a stronger case for sure. But if at the end of the year, they are both around the same record, stats does it for me, and that will be LeBron. So the Lakers will need a decent lead over the Cavs imo, in order to give Kobe the MVP. But hey, I don't decide, so its only one mans opinion

GAWDtv
01-21-2010, 05:48 PM
OMG Stephen Jackson :facepalm:

No Capt. Jack, before he got to CHA, they where going nowhere fast, perenial bottom feeder. They trade away their best defender and since he got there their demeanor changed. He has lead them to the best record in the L in 2010 @ 9-1. Just like Mr. BigShot in Denver...

J_M_B
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Kobe Bryant

LeBron, a close second obviously..

J_M_B
01-21-2010, 06:09 PM
LBJ
Durant
Stephen Jackson
Chris Bosh
Tim Duncan
D. Wade
Kobe Bryant
Josh Smith
Carmelo Anthony
Dirk Newitzky
Dewight Howard

Are you serious?

Don't get me wrong Stephen Jackson and Chris Bosh are great players, but to have them both in the top three is ridiculous

The Raptors are fighting to stay at .500. Stephen Jackson has been a great addition, but no way does belong in the top three or even the top 10 for that matter.

Josh Smith got off to a terrific start, but is starting to come back down to earth.

Kobe outside the top 5? No sir.

In my opinion, there are a lot I mean a lot of things wrong with this list.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd actually put Bosh into contender consideration. He hasn't had a bad game this year it seems like. I'm not a Bosh fan at all, but he really has been the epitome of consistency. He makes my top 10.

My full 10 right now and how it's changed in the last 2-3 weeks from the last time I ranked them.

1. LeBron +1
2. Kobe -1
3. Dirk +1
4. Melo -1
5. Durant +2
6. Duncan +2
7. Roy -1
8. Johnson +1
9. Nash -4
10. Bosh

Howard off the list.

lakerboy
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
I'd actually put Bosh into contender consideration. He hasn't had a bad game this year it seems like. I'm not a Bosh fan at all, but he really has been the epitome of consistency. He makes my top 10.

My full 10 right now and how it's changed in the last 2-3 weeks from the last time I ranked them.

1. LeBron +1
2. Kobe -1
3. Dirk +1
4. Melo -1
5. Durant +2
6. Duncan +2
7. Roy -1
8. Johnson +1
9. Nash -4
10. Bosh

Howard off the list.

I think Melo is the most overrated player in the league today. Chauncey is the MVP of the team.

dtmagnet
01-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Lebron right now.

Rangers510
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I hope melo wins it

_-Spyda-_
01-21-2010, 06:58 PM
lbj>kobe

kobelaughsatall
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
lets see how lebron carries his team with a starter out for the month. he is the mvp right now but there still is alot of basketball left and I don't think the cavs record will be better than last year or beat the lakers record

Evolution23
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Its Lebron because he doesn't have the supporting cast like Kobe.. but Kobe is the better player by a hair.

montazingmvp
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM

wow...i'm really embarrased for you...this goes down as one of the dumbest comments ever posted here...

thank you for the laugh...and remember, were laughing at you, not with you

rapswin98
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Kobe was playing better than LeBron when he was healthy. Now that Kobe is injured Lebron has been playing at the same level as Kobe when he was healthy. As of now Lebron is on top so far, but not by much imo. Kobe has not been playing his best for about 2 weeks now, but I would put at 2nd. Durant is leading the rest.

bahama0811
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Melo!

montazingmvp
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM

instead of making baseless claims that comes off as nothing more than an opinion of a 12 year old, could you please explain your reasoning for this...you provide no facts, no argument whatsoever...you just make an absurd claim, and don't back it up at all...

do you really expect to be taken seriously?

cmellofan15
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I think Melo is the most overrated player in the league today. Chauncey is the MVP of the team.

:laugh:

montazingmvp
01-21-2010, 09:02 PM

start acting like one then...most "grown *** men" are mature enough to take in others opinions and not bash them for having a different one than you...

a lot of people in here, myself included, are fans of neither kobe or lebron...i'm pretty indifferent to both of them. but imo lebron is the better player...

mvp goes to the player who contributes the most to his teams success. a lot of people think lebron fits that bill...

you don't need to take it so personally

cmellofan15
01-21-2010, 09:04 PM
instead of making baseless claims that comes off as nothing more than an opinion of a 12 year old, could you please explain your reasoning for this...you provide no facts, no argument whatsoever...you just make an absurd claim, and don't back it up at all...

do you really expect to be taken seriously?

dude the fact is he has better ****ing defense!

:rolleyes:

cmellofan15
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
And for the guy said Melo is overrated, he shoots a better fg% than Kobe, a better ft% than Kobe, a better 3pt% than Kobe, more PPG than Kobe, more RPG than Kobe, better defensive rating than Kobe, even though they have pretty much the same usage rating.

runforrestrunx9
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
AI hands down

runforrestrunx9
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
mabe Tmac as well

PHXfan09
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Steve Nash. but I'm biased

Kakaroach
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Kobe most likely. LeBron, Melo, and Wade are all their as well.

THINKBLUE15
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
LBJ is the clear cut favorite, he really is. He is the best player statistically, absolutely carries his team on a nightly basis, plays every game (sorry Kobe, you don't get pity points for playing through nagging injuries and struggling mightily, take a week off old man), and is just better, no other way to put it.

Next I'd have Durant, who's reshaping a lottery team into a legit contender in the WEST, all with Lebronesque numbers (Lebron being the better passer but Durant getting to the line more and hitting at a nearly 88% clip).

Then I have Dirk -- how this guy is not getting more love is beyond me -- Nowitzki and then Kobe. Honorable mentions to Melo, Nash and Duncan.

Any four of these guys can win it (any 7 really), but it truly is Lebron's to lose, the guy is a g'damn MACHINE.

PS: hilarious to me how nobody with a Kobe/Laker screen name will say Lebron. They would gain SO much credibility if they just took a step back from their little vicarious-life-ego that they live through Kobe and respect LBJ for what he's done this year.

A BROKEN finger (on shooting hand) is a "nagging" injury?? A BROKEN finger! Nagging injury? Lebron wouldn't play if he broke a finger nail. Grab a clue. A BROKEN FINGER! Stupid ***.

Anyways, Lebron is the MVP thus far.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
A BROKEN finger (on shooting hand) is a "nagging" injury?? A BROKEN finger! Nagging injury? Lebron wouldn't play if he broke a finger nail. Grab a clue. A BROKEN FINGER! Stupid ***.

Anyways, Lebron is the MVP thus far.

LeBron has averaged 79 games a season. Kobe is at 73. LeBron is one of the most durable players I've ever seen...and has played through injuries.

I think Kobe is going to hurt his team more by playing through these injuries than he'll help them.

DODGERS&LAKERS
01-21-2010, 10:14 PM
LeBron has averaged 79 games a season. Kobe is at 73. LeBron is one of the most durable players I've ever seen...and has played through injuries.

I think Kobe is going to hurt his team more by playing through these injuries than he'll help them.

He will hurt them shooting wise. But I think he plays through things to show his teammates what it takes to be great. Sometimes, you can make your teammates better with things that go on at practice, and challenging them to be better. Not just with a good pass for an open shot.

When I played football, our leader and running back separated his shoulder in the first quarter. He played the whole game, and sometimes had tears in his eyes because of the pain, did I respect him a whole lot more than I did before? You bet. He was a screamer and not a very friendly teammate, but it was a lot easier to take his commands after you see what playing and winning meant to him. I can promise that Kobe's teammates see the same thing with Kobe.

ManRam
01-21-2010, 10:18 PM
He will hurt them shooting wise. But I think he plays through things to show his teammates what it takes to be great. Sometimes, you can make your teammates better with things that go on at practice, and challenging them to be better. Not just with a good pass for an open shot.

When I played football, our leader and running back separated his shoulder in the first quarter. He played the whole game, and sometimes had tears in his eyes because of the pain, did you respect him a whole lot more than I did before? You bet. He was a screamer and not a very friendly teammate, but it was a lot easier to take his commands after you see what playing and winning meant to him. I can promise that Kobe's teammates see the same thing with Kobe.

I understand. Thing is, he's not going to get better very fast if he keeps logging this many minutes. It's the middle of the season, take a few games off to rest. There is no harm in that. The difference with football is that your story was just one game, Kobe is playing through a season.

I just think that if his back gets worse, or his finger doesn't heal because he wont rest, that's the detrimental part. Not missing a few shots. I'm looking at long picture, not short term.

And if his teammates need to be inspired by Kobe playing hurt, than they are in the wrong sport. I'm sure Kobe's work ethic has already rubbed off on the team. He's a warrior.

dwadefan03
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
melo should be first then lebron THEN kobe

THINKBLUE15
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM

I went overboard. I can admit it. Fine.

But it was more to emphasize how stupid it is for someone to call a broken finger a "nagging" injury.

And I did say LBJ was the MVP, so I'm not a flaming homer. I'm just baffled at someone calling a broken index finger on the shooting hand just a "Nagging" injury. Absured.

Hawkize31
01-21-2010, 11:01 PM
how in the hell is it a significant gap when when up until a few week ago the mvp was clearly kobes to lose.:facepalm:

Your premise is false. The MVP was never "Kobe's to lose" this season. Its not even the All Star Break yet.

loki34
01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
kevin durant won 23 games last year.... i say #35

Wilson
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
We already have a 2009-2010 MVP Discussion Thread (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430242). There's no need for us to have two threads on the same subject so I'm going to lock this one up.