PDA

View Full Version : Kings' Tyreke Evans sued over Pa shooting death

asandhu23
01-20-2010, 04:42 AM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Sacramento Kings rookie Tyreke Evans is being sued over a fatal shooting committed by a teenage cousin in his vehicle.

Evans is among four people being sued over the November 2007 drive-by shooting near his home in Chester, just south of Philadelphia.

Jamar Evans is serving a nine- to 20-year prison term after admitting he fired out the passenger-side door and killed 19-year-old Marcus Reason. Jamar Evans was 16 at the time.

Tyreke Evans was then a highly recruited high school player. He later played one season for the University of Memphis before jumping to the NBA.

Reason's family is seeking more than $50,000 in the wrongful-death suit filed in Delaware County.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/evans.lawsuit.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

I want to know how Tyreke is involved in this.

Edit: forgot to put . after Pa

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 04:54 AM
"Tyreke Evans did nothing wrong," he said. "He fully cooperated with the Delaware County District Attorney's office and the (prosecution) … and was called as witness for the district attorney and testified to what he saw and what was happening at the time of the incident. We thought this was in the past, but it's something we'll deal with."

Reports indicate Jamar Evans thought Reason was armed and that Tyreke Evans didn't know his cousin had a gun until seeing him slide the gun into his hooded sweatshirt after firing. Tyreke Evans was never charged with a crime. Authorities said Evans cooperated with the investigation.

Rasheen Blackwell, a friend of Tyreke Evans, also was in the car at the time of the shooting.

Evans said last June he discussed the incident with all the teams he met with before the 2009 NBA draft.

"I'm just going to stay focused and let my agent and my attorney handle everything. I'm just going to play basketball," he said Tuesday. "My brother and them told me (the Reason family) were trying to take me to court to sue me, but it is what it is."

Kings officials said they knew about the incident and had no reservations about selecting Tyreke Evans with the fourth pick in the draft.

Source: Sacbee (http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2474375.html)

Basically he was the driver of the car when the shooting happened.

KG2TB
01-20-2010, 04:56 AM
He has good lawyers, no way they're gonna get any money out of him. He let his cousin borrow the car, he didn't participate or pre-meditate anything. If it turns out that his cousin didn't have a license or Tyreke's vehicle wasn't insured and they're hoping that constitutes for anything they're gonna be disappointed. There's so many ways around that. Unfortunate story though.

KG2TB
01-20-2010, 04:57 AM
Oh....I didn't know he was the driver. That's ****ed up.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 04:58 AM
Oh....I didn't know he was the driver. That's ****ed up.

I think he was. The police investigated and cleared him. Basically he didn't know his cousin had a gun and that he was going to shoot anyone.

BigEric
01-20-2010, 05:07 AM
These people waited until Tyreke was in the NBA to say anything to him, they are after the money. If I were him, I'd pay the 50000 as quickly as possible, before it becomes something that effects him in other ways. I think he had endorsements removed for this story.

Wrong place, wrong time. Thankfully, Tyreke didn't do anything, or have anything tragic happen to him

GREATNESS ONE
01-20-2010, 05:19 AM
50k should be nothing for Tyreke. I agree ^^^ It sucks what kind of mentallity people have but his cousin is fukd.

BlueJayFanDan
01-20-2010, 05:20 AM
It's sad to see what some of these pro athletes do in their personal lives. Granted this occured before he was even in college but still when stories like these come out little kids everywhere get the wrong idea about how to live their lives and think there is nothing wrong with owning a gun or getting in fights or whatever the situation may be.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 05:30 AM
It's sad to see what some of these pro athletes do in their personal lives. Granted this occured before he was even in college but still when stories like these come out little kids everywhere get the wrong idea about how to live their lives and think there is nothing wrong with owning a gun or getting in fights or whatever the situation may be.

So you're assuming that he's guilty even though he was exonerated and not ever charged with any wrongdoing?

BigEric
01-20-2010, 05:35 AM
So you're assuming that he's guilty even though he was exonerated and not ever charged with any wrongdoing?

I guess this will give people something to hate Tyreke over. Being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Not actually doing anything, but being linked to it. That's so wrong.

thephoenixson28
01-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Did evans drive off or did he stay there.

Cuz if he drove off he can get charged too. No matter of the situation. Regardless if his cousin pulled out the gun and evans didn't know.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Did evans drive off or did he stay there.

Cuz if he drove off he can get charged too. No matter of the situation. Regardless if his cousin pulled out the gun and evans didn't know.

If that were the case he would have already been charged...seeing as it happened 4 years ago. This is a civil case, not a criminal one.

thephoenixson28
01-20-2010, 05:50 AM
If that were the case he would have already been charged...seeing as it happened 4 years ago. This is a civil case, not a criminal one. Why would that be. I don't know to much about it. But I would think what's the difference between now and 4 years ago.

DodgerBulls
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I think he was. The police investigated and cleared him. Basically he didn't know his cousin had a gun and that he was going to shoot anyone.

Really? Whatever happened to those cases that the driver is responsible for that? Some drivers gets busted because their friend carry maryjanes even w/o the driver's knowledge.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Why would that be. I don't know to much about it. But I would think what's the difference between now and 4 years ago.

Well seeing how the Police and the Prosecution already investigated and prosecuted a guy and closed the case....This is the family suing Tyreke in civil court. Funny they wait till he's in the NBA to do so.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/evans.lawsuit.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

I want to know how Tyreke is involved in this.

Edit: forgot to put . after Pa

N.B.A. Rookie Closes Inner Circle After Deadly Shot Is Fired

By KEVIN ARMSTRONG
Published: January 15, 2010

PHILADELPHIA — When Sacramento Kings guard Tyreke Evans was 7 years old, he hit the winning basket to beat his friend Dwayne Davis’s team and remain unbeaten in a youth league. Davis was inconsolable, so Evans’s oldest brother, James, visited his locker room and invited him to a nearby Chuck E. Cheese restaurant with the family.

In 2007, a cousin of Tyreke Evans, above, shot a man and fled in a vehicle Evans was driving.

“They don’t allow many people to get very close,” Davis said of the Evanses.

Few N.B.A. stars have a tighter inner circle than Evans, who is averaging 20.6 points and 5.1 rebounds a game and is a leading contender for rookie of the year. He has four older brothers who are active in his life. And 13 years later, he and Davis remain inseparable.

At the American Christian School in Aston, Pa., where Evans starred, Davis was a team manager. Davis followed Evans to Memphis in 2008 and played a similar role: answering phone calls and rebounding shots for his friend at 1 a.m. When Sacramento drafted Evans with the fourth pick of the N.B.A. draft in June, Davis too moved west.

“I’m a second pair of eyes,” said Davis, who lives in a three-bedroom condominium with Evans and his trainer, Lamont Peterson, near Arco Arena.

Davis, who goes by the name Gym Rat, was also in the backseat of Evans’s gold Ford Expedition when gunshots rang out in front of Evans’s aunt’s house in Toby Farms, a rough section of Chester, Pa., around 6 p.m. on a Sunday in November 2007. According to a police report, Evans, who was driving, saw his cousin Jamar Evans put a silver handgun in his hooded sweatshirt. Davis, in his statement, concurred. Neither said he saw Jamar Evans pull the trigger for the shot to the chest that killed the 19-year-old Marcus Reason. Tyreke Evans maintains that Reason charged them first.

“Tyreke and I were scared,” Davis said. “We were unsure if one of us was hit or going to get in trouble.”

No charges were filed against Tyreke Evans, who almost drove into a fire hydrant as he fled the scene with his cousin, Davis and Rasheen Blackwell. Evans cooperated with authorities. Jamar Evans pleaded guilty to third-degree murder last January and was sentenced to 9 to 20 years in prison a day before Tyreke was drafted. Tyreke said Thursday night that he had mailed money to his cousin. Davis said he had continued to send letters of support.

“It was kind of a blessing to learn you can be blindsided,” Evans, 20, said. “Even family can be carrying a weapon.”

Evans spoke on the day Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas was charged with felony gun possession after carrying an unlicensed pistol into the Washington locker room. Evans expressed surprise that a star would bring a firearm into team space.

“Never thought I’d hear anything like it,” said Evans, who said he did not own a gun.

Kings General Manager Geoff Petrie said that in his predraft interview Evans was candid about his brush with gun violence.

“He didn’t gloss over it,” Petrie said in a phone interview. “He recognized the potentially serious nature of something like that.”

Evans is deferential by nature. His brother Julius lamented that he lacked “the Kobe Bryant killer instinct” as a prep star. His team would jump out to large early leads and Evans, who was often double- and triple-teamed, would lose his intensity.

His former coach at American Christian, Tony Bergeron, said Evans never wanted to “step on your throat,” but added, “When he faces a challenge, that whole mind-set changes.”

Last season, with Memphis reaching the Round of 16, Coach John Calipari let Evans run the point and would not allow him to slow down. Evans said Calipari constantly yelled, “You’re not showing me everything!”

“Calipari taught toughness like Bob Knight but without putting a hand on the kid,” James Evans said.

Big enough to be Evans’s bodyguard, Peterson, a former wide receiver at Temple who has been training Evans since high school, has also taken on the roles of chauffeur and nutritionist. Peterson served as an administrative assistant with Memphis last season. At 6 feet 6 inches and 220 pounds, Evans is what Peterson calls “a walking billboard for my work.” Evans filled the frame through supersets in the weight room and bungee cord workouts on the court. As Evans went up to shoot, Peterson pulled on the cord, simulating a defender’s tugs.

“Not one of the guards we looked at before the draft could guard him,” said Pete Carril, a Kings assistant who has worked with Evans to correct a slinging motion in his overhead jump shot.

“Right now, with his body and ability to finish at the rim, he’s looking down the barrel of long-term success in this league,” Carril added.

When Evans was at American Christian, he did not have a car until his senior year. He rode a school bus, which friends and family referred to as “the big cheese” for its yellow color. His brothers then chipped in to buy the Expedition, the one he peeled away in from the murder scene. Two winters later, he drives a black 2010 S550 Mercedes and has broken ground on a house in Delaware.

“We micromanage every cent,” Julius Evans said.

The trail for Evans led home Friday against the 76ers. He arrived at the Four Seasons Hotel on Thursday about 11 p.m. with a plain-clothes security guard after having dinner at his mother’s house in Chester. In Washington on Saturday, Evans will have a further reminder of what he escaped when the Kings visit the Arenas-less Wizards.

“His mother still lives in the same house she lived in before the shooting,” Julius Evans said. “People are crazy if they think things have changed in our circle.”http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/sports/basketball/16evans.html

DaBUU
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM

yeah sure

thephoenixson28
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Well seeing how the Police and the Prosecution already investigated and prosecuted a guy and closed the case....This is the family suing Tyreke in civil court. Funny they wait till he's in the NBA to do so. That's weird. There was this situation were 2 of my friends got killed when they were working at subway. I'm pretty sure someone heard of that story. It happened a couple years ago. Well they guys that got charged was the two shooters, the guy that held the door open and the driver. Everyone was charged. I also think they said the driver didn't know anything about it. But to make a long story short. Evans was there when the shooting occured and fled the scene therfore he is a suspect. Same subject different story. Either the crime was harsh on the guys that killed my friends or evans should've been charged. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but judging by the law he should've been charged.

ARMIN12NBA
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
He's an accomplice to murder and he isn't going to jail. Lucky man.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
That's weird. There was this situation were 2 of my friends got killed when they were working at subway. I'm pretty sure someone heard of that story. It happened a couple years ago. Well they guys that got charged was the two shooters, the guy that held the door open and the driver. Everyone was charged. I also think they said the driver didn't know anything about it. But to make a long story short. Evans was there when the shooting occured and fled the scene therfore he is a suspect. Same subject different story. Either the crime was harsh on the guys that killed my friends or evans should've been charged. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but judging by the law he should've been charged.

Put yourself in his shoes. The passenger in your car just shot someone. I would think that the shooter would want to get away....If you don't want to flee the scene, I'm sure the guy with the gun could convince you otherwise.

king4day
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM

While there's no proof he really had a big role in this, we'll never know.
I like Evans so far, but the fact that he was the driver and says he didn't know his cousin had a gun, you don't know what to believe.

The part I do believe, is, he knew his cousin owned a gun and his cousin probably talked **** about the kid he wound up killing. So I think Evans knew he hung with the wrong crowd.

RaptorizedKevin
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
obviousily tyreke is involved in this. can people stop being blinded because hes a good player? his cousoin wont randomly shoot out of the car .. reke would see this... and plus.. reke was driving.. and obviousily this guy named marcus reason had something to do with tyrkes cousin. By being the driver, tyke is at juss as much fault. he cant shy away from it. and dont defend him. yu cant take somones life away.. or assist in that ,, and not expect to recieve some jail time.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
He's an accomplice to murder and he isn't going to jail. Lucky man.

Yeah that's what I thought. He fled the scene of a crime and aided someone in "escaping." Escaping what I dunno. I think he eventually testified against his own kin.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/sports/basketball/16evans.html

from this story it sounds like Reason "charged" them first. His cousin acted and shot Reason. Where was Tyreke, Davis and Rasheen Blackwell during all of this, who knows? Anyway, his cousin comes back to the guys and they all see Tyreke's cousin stuffing the gun into his own sweatshirt. Then Tyreke and them bail before authorities arrive.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Tyreke Evans continues to be haunted by the November 2007 afternoon when his cousin, riding in the Ford Expedition that Evans was driving, pulled out a handgun and killed 19-year-old Marcus Reason in Chester Township.http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20100120_Victim_s_family_files_wrongful-death_lawsuit_against_Kings_rookie_Tyreke_Evans.ht ml

Sounds like his cousin was in the car when Reason was shot.

"The driver, who was Tyreke Evans, chose to stop the car, allowed his cousin to put the window down, and allowed a gun to be drawn," Patrick S. Mintzer said. "Anyone at some point in time could have said no."
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/82139322.html

This is flatout disturbing. The nytimes article said
Neither said he saw Jamar Evans pull the trigger for the shot to the chest that killed the 19-year-old Marcus Reason.
So what the heck was Tyreke and Davis doing as his cousin rolled down the window and shot the kid? Who the heck is Rasheen Blackwell?

Vinny642
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM
He made somewhat of a mistake which led to someones death, but you cannot blame him. He most likely will pay the 50K or whatever and maybe Stern gives him a 10K fine, nothing to crazy.

cali72888
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Typical thug nature.

I diddnt see nuthing all that happened was he pulled a gun out and shot. I knew nothing, just happened to stop in front of this guy he wanted to kill and my cuz rolled down the window cocked a gun n shot.....in the middle of the street.

Give me a break this story is ********....athletes and their privileges.

In 5-10 years Evans will end up doing something stupid, you can count on it.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Typical thug nature.

I diddnt see nuthing all that happened was he pulled a gun out and shot. I knew nothing, just happened to stop in front of this guy he wanted to kill and my cuz rolled down the window cocked a gun n shot.....in the middle of the street.

Give me a break this story is ********....athletes and their privileges.

In 5-10 years Evans will end up doing something stupid, you can count on it.

doubt it.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
While there's no proof he really had a big role in this, we'll never know.
I like Evans so far, but the fact that he was the driver and says he didn't know his cousin had a gun, you don't know what to believe.

The part I do believe, is, he knew his cousin owned a gun and his cousin probably talked **** about the kid he wound up killing. So I think Evans knew he hung with the wrong crowd.

Tyreke knew his cousin had a gun after he heard the shot and saw his cousin putting the gun in his sweatshirt (hoodie). They panicked and Tyreke drove off.

ripjhb18
01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
So Tyreke is basically a ****ing murderer. What a low life. He is so lucky that he isn't in jail. I mean the investigators cleared him way back then, but he must have paid them off with his future NBA money. So he got lucky and got away with what he did and now its finally coming back to him like it should. That family will get the money they deserve even if its 4 years later.

Vinny642
01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
These people who are ripping Tyreke are ignorant calling him a murderer, lowlife, thug.
People that are supporting his story of he didn't know what was going on to are ignorant.

I dont think Tyreke is a bad guy, not the smartest either but definitely not a murderer. He made a mistake, let him pay whatever he is being sued for and drop it.

PurpleJesus
01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
I dont know if tyreke is innocent or not, but either way, he should pay the money now and make things go away. If he is innocent, he is still guilty by association, so just pay the money

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
So Tyreke is basically a ****ing murderer. What a low life. He is so lucky that he isn't in jail. I mean the investigators cleared him way back then, but he must have paid them off with his future NBA money. So he got lucky and got away with what he did and now its finally coming back to him like it should. That family will get the money they deserve even if its 4 years later.

50kish? not much money for an nba player. for him that's like a game and a few minutes of work.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
What I don't understand is whe the family is only asking for 50k in a wrongful death suit. In those you can usually get millions, which makes me think they don't have much of a case.

Vinny642
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
What I don't understand is whe the family is only asking for 50k in a wrongful death suit. In those you can usually get millions, which makes me think they don't have much of a case.

You know what I think, I think no one cares what your homer *** has to say about a topic like this....

Lets haters hate, and let dickr**ers dickr**e.

If people call him thug, let them think that.

DerekRE_3
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
You know what I think, I think no one cares what your homer *** has to say about a topic like this....

Lets haters hate, and let dickr**ers dickr**e.

If people call him thung, let them think that.

ok.....

ripjhb18
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Because Tyreke is such a piece of **** he has probably avoided paying for years. So maybe they lowered their demands so they can get some kind of compensation for the life they lost. Maybe they felt their son was only worth 50k?

thephoenixson28
01-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Put yourself in his shoes. The passenger in your car just shot someone. I would think that the shooter would want to get away....If you don't want to flee the scene, I'm sure the guy with the gun could convince you otherwise. Think about it. It was hi cousin your talking about. It wasn't just a stranger that he hardly knew. I'm not saying tyreke evans is a bad person, and that it was his fault that his cousin shot that guy. What I am saying is by law, if evans was any way affilaited with the situation that happened. He should be getting charged too. I think its pretty stupid that it has to be like that, but that's the law. Did you know when something happens to somebody on the streets like a heart attack,someone gets shot or any life threatening situation. If you attend that person you are not allowed to leave them cuz you can be charged too.

ARMIN12NBA
01-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Think about it. It was hi cousin your talking about. It wasn't just a stranger that he hardly knew. I'm not saying tyreke evans is a bad person, and that it was his fault that his cousin shot that guy. What I am saying is by law, if evans was any way affilaited with the situation that happened. He should be getting charged too. I think its pretty stupid that it has to be like that, but that's the law. Did you know when something happens to somebody on the streets like a heart attack,someone gets shot or any life threatening situation. If you attend that person you are not allowed to leave them cuz you can be charged too.

Obviously if this was just any person then they would be facing serious jail time for being an accomplice to murder...And they would easily be found guilty.

thephoenixson28
01-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Obviously if this was just any person then they would be facing serious jail time for being an accomplice to murder...And they would easily be found guilty. Exactly. I know evans wasn't in the wrong. But once he left the scene he was.

bosox3431
01-21-2010, 04:29 AM
That's weird. There was this situation were 2 of my friends got killed when they were working at subway. I'm pretty sure someone heard of that story. It happened a couple years ago. Well they guys that got charged was the two shooters, the guy that held the door open and the driver. Everyone was charged. I also think they said the driver didn't know anything about it. But to make a long story short. Evans was there when the shooting occured and fled the scene therfore he is a suspect. Same subject different story. Either the crime was harsh on the guys that killed my friends or evans should've been charged. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but judging by the law he should've been charged.

Is it in the same state? If not different stes have different laws. Maybe Tyreke coporated, and they decided to charge him for his help. And also some laws have a statue of limitations(i believe thats it), and after a while you cant be charged anymore. I believe rape is 7 years, and this is prolly a crime like that

Spurred1
01-21-2010, 04:38 AM
I think there is still a whole lot that hasn't been made public and it might not be. Evans is no innocent, but he's not going to be charged with anything, otherwise he would have been done so around the time of the crime.
I also doubt he paid anyone off with "future NBA money." Doesn't sound like he had much money at that time and investigators or whoever aren't going to be bribed with "future money." Come on.
I don't know what the laws are in PA regarding drivers and accomplices, but it is surprising he wasn't charged with fleeing the scene of a crime at least.

Spurred1
01-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Is it in the same state? If not different stes have different laws. Maybe Tyreke coporated, and they decided to charge him for his help. And also some laws have a statue of limitations(i believe thats it), and after a while you cant be charged anymore. I believe rape is 7 years, and this is prolly a crime like that

It sounds like Evans cooperated with the authorities, so maybe that was taken into account. If he'd clammed up and refused to help them, he might have been charged. Authorities often make deals where certain charges are dropped or lessened if they get needed information.
*And rape shouldn't have a statute of limitations-but that's another discussion.
*Lindsay Lohan needs to be added to your death pool picks, by the way.

S.J.Basketball
01-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Being a gun owner I can tell you first hand shooting accurately with a handgun is hard to do.

For Tyreke to say he didn't see him shoot is ridiculous. He stopped the car, his cousin rolled down the window and BAM shot another kid dead for whatever reason.

You know how LOUD a handgun is? It's ****ing LOUD. Ridiculous to say he didn't see the shot or know he had a gun until his cousin put it back in his sweatshirt. Ridiculous.

It's obvious his cousin is taking the fall so Tyreke can make his money.

BigEric
01-21-2010, 05:34 AM
He can drive, but he can't shoot.

But seriously, if you read the whole article it says that he cooperated with the authorities and testified against his cousin in court.

You can say "well yeah he did that to save his future" but you can also say "he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and really didn't know that people were going to get shot." It's going to be pretty sad if you guys remember Tyreke this way.

S.J.Basketball
01-21-2010, 05:37 AM
He can drive, but he can't shoot.

But seriously, if you read the whole article it says that he cooperated with the authorities and testified against his cousin in court.

You can say "well yeah he did that to save his future" but you can also say "he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and really didn't know that people were going to get shot." It's going to be pretty sad if you guys remember Tyreke this way.

He stopped the car so his cousin could get a better shot. It's obvious. This is a clear cut cousin taking the fall. You don't think when he gets out he's gonna get a cut of Tyrekes money? Or that his cousins side of the fam is getting money? Cmon now....let's not be naive....

BigEric
01-21-2010, 05:42 AM
He stopped the car so his cousin could get a better shot. It's obvious. This is a clear cut cousin taking the fall. You don't think when he gets out he's gonna get a cut of Tyrekes money? Or that his cousins side of the fam is getting money? Cmon now....let's not be naive....

This is all asumption. We shouldn't judge what we don't know. I know what you may think but it's still not what we know. He is lucky he didn't get jail time because I've seen people get locked up for less. He still isn't a murderer or thug, he grew up around bad people, and was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just don't let it effect his status in the nba if he goes to become great. Because now when people hear Tyreke, they aren't thinking rookie of the year, they are thinking murderer and thug. It's incredibly tragic that someone died over nonsense, but to make Tyreke the main focus here because he's the one in the NBA isn't right. What do you expect him to do, fight the power, give up his future and go to jail with his cousin?

BigEric
01-21-2010, 05:54 AM
What I'm saying is, yeah he got away with some stuff because he has a bright future. But don't assume he's a murderer or anyone does wrong.

Spurred1
01-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Being a gun owner I can tell you first hand shooting accurately with a handgun is hard to do.

For Tyreke to say he didn't see him shoot is ridiculous. He stopped the car, his cousin rolled down the window and BAM shot another kid dead for whatever reason.

You know how LOUD a handgun is? It's ****ing LOUD. Ridiculous to say he didn't see the shot or know he had a gun until his cousin put it back in his sweatshirt. Ridiculous.

It's obvious his cousin is taking the fall so Tyreke can make his money.

His cousin was going to go to prison regardless. He shot and killed someone-he's not taking the fall for anyone. He's getting what he deserves.
As for Tyreke, there was no guarantee he would make it into the NBA or how successful he would be at that time. This was a few years ago. He probably wasn't prosecuted because either there wasn't sufficient evidence proving his guilt or charges were not pressed because he cooperated with the investigation.

ARMIN12NBA
01-21-2010, 06:12 AM
What I'm saying is, yeah he got away with some stuff because he has a bright future. But don't assume he's a murderer or anyone does wrong.

Nobody here assumes he's a murderer. He's not. He is an accomplice to murder.

BigEric
01-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Read ripjhb18's post. "So Tyreke is basically a ****ing murderer. What a low life."

thephoenixson28
01-21-2010, 06:15 AM
What I'm saying is, yeah he got away with some stuff because he has a bright future. But don't assume he's a murderer or anyone does wrong. Evans is no murderer. I don't even no why some people are saying that. Should he have been charged maybe. Like bosox said it might be cuz its in a different state. Does that make it any better No. Everyone should be charged with the same thing in every state. But that's how ****ed up the system is.

ARMIN12NBA
01-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Read ripjhb18's post. "So Tyreke is basically a ****ing murderer. What a low life."

Well, I don't blame ripjhb18. Tyreke Evans played a hand in ending another human beings life. He was an accomplice in murdering another person. Pretty heavy stuff dude.

BigEric
01-21-2010, 06:16 AM
I agree. Our system is quite flawed. Really flawed to be honest.

BigEric
01-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Well, I don't blame ripjhb18. Tyreke Evans played a hand in ending another human beings life. He was an accomplice in murdering another person. Pretty heavy stuff dude.

I understand your side, but dude, do you think Tyreke really wanted this to happen? Why would he risk his life, when it was so bright, over something like this. We don't know his meaning. I really feel deeply for the family, and I wish this never happened. Tyreke heard shots and drove off. It's human instinct. I'm not here to change anyone's mind about the situation, but don't think of this when you think Tyreke, think about the reverse game winning layups or the crazy crossover, or the guy that drives to the rim, not the guy who drove away from the crime scene.

fredv
01-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Usually the driver of a drive-by shooting car goes in prison right? I remember seeing a similar story where the driver sentenced 5 years even though he had no idea his back-seat friend was about to shoot a guy.. Hopefully Tyreke won't face any major charges..

caddiemaster
01-21-2010, 07:34 AM
No,it means he's a puke thug wanna be gangta gun totin gang banging piece of sacramento sheeite mothr fudger!Go Stephen Curry!lol

Daze9900
01-21-2010, 08:35 AM
It's a tragic story. For all the people defending Evans, I wonder what they are basing that on. The its documented that he was in the car. None of us were there so you can't say he did or did not know his cousin would be packing or would take the action he did on that day. I find it strange that you are driving around and out of nowhere your passenger who happens to be a family member just starts going grand theft auto IV on an individual....and you have absolutely no idea. Where were they going? If it was you and I in the car you know what? 50 out of 50 states would have thrown the book at us as well. Its unfortunate what went down that day. I have to say so what if the family is going after his money. The fact is that he was there and for all of his fanboys I say this, at some point he should be held accountable. The family has every right to go after his money. I would have done the same thing and if it was your family member that died you should be going after the people that are involved directly or indirectly in a wrongful death.

arkanian215
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Evans is no murderer. I don't even no why some people are saying that. Should he have been charged maybe. Like bosox said it might be cuz its in a different state. Does that make it any better No. Everyone should be charged with the same thing in every state. But that's how ****ed up the system is.

States rights, end of story.

BkOriginalOne
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Why would you want to sue Evans? Because it was his car? That seems like a silly reason, wait how much money does he make again?
Oh, yeah - that's what I thought.

arkanian215
01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
More details:

The victim, Marcus Reason, 19, was shot once in the chest.

According to the affidavit, which was released Friday, Evans, 18, told police he drove to his aunt's house on Rainer Road in Chester after a Nov. 25 basketball game to watch the end of the Denver Broncos-Chicago Bears game on television.

Evans told police that before the game ended, his mother told him by telephone that "the pies that she had just baked were ready."

He told police he went outside, pulled his gold Ford Expedition to the front of his aunt's house, and waited for three companions to join him, including his cousin, Jamar "Mar Mar" Evans.

After they entered the vehicle, the affidavit says, two of the other passengers shouted, "Go! He's about to shoot!" - referring to Reason, who had told a witness he had a problem with some people who were in that house.http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20071227_Evans_was_at_scene_of_fatal_shooting.html

No gun was ever found with Reason. There was no evidence he ever fired a gun, according to prosecutors.http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/82069687.html

Tyreke Evans told police he heard two gunshots as he drove away and saw his cousin "putting a brown-handled, silver handgun into the front pocket of his hooded sweatshirt."He told police that he remained with his cousin for at least 20 minutes after the shooting and overheard a phone conversation regarding the whereabouts of the gun.

Jamar Evans turned himself in to police Friday. He is being held without bail after being charged with first-degree murder and related offenses.

Joseph J. Brielmann, a spokesman for the Delaware County District Attorney's Office, declined to comment on whether Tyreke Evans could be charged in the case.

"Mere presence at the scene of a crime is not evidence of guilt," said Arthur T. Donato Jr., a Delaware County attorney who is not involved in the case. "Assuming he knew nothing about what was going to happen, he wouldn't be guilty of anything."http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20071227_Evans_was_at_scene_of_fatal_shooting.html

This paints a slightly clearer picture of what happened.

So that means his cousins fired twice, once hitting Reason in the chest and one missing somewhere. If Reason fired, then he should have had some sort of residue from the discharge on his hands and clothes.

Dark Donnie
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
These people waited until Tyreke was in the NBA to say anything to him, they are after the money. If I were him, I'd pay the 50000 as quickly as possible, before it becomes something that effects him in other ways. I think he had endorsements removed for this story.

Wrong place, wrong time. Thankfully, Tyreke didn't do anything, or have anything tragic happen to him

Actually this was out way before he was drafted.

bosox3431
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
It sounds like Evans cooperated with the authorities, so maybe that was taken into account. If he'd clammed up and refused to help them, he might have been charged. Authorities often make deals where certain charges are dropped or lessened if they get needed information.
*And rape shouldn't have a statute of limitations-but that's another discussion.
*Lindsay Lohan needs to be added to your death pool picks, by the way.

Id like to add her, but cant, its to late not.

Murder and treason are the only crimes that do not have a time limit

Just so we knew, I went ahead and looked it up:D

http://teenadvice.about.com/od/sexuallyactive/a/statutoryrape1.htm