PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's proposal

stawka
01-20-2010, 01:58 AM
The Big Ultimatum: Shaq proposes plan for dunk contest

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal has a plan to save the NBA's All-Star dunk contest: Bring back the superstars and do it for devastated Haiti.

Following Tuesday night's win over Toronto, O'Neal was asked if he would like to see teammate LeBron James participate in this year's event. That's when he offered his idea. He would like to see former dunk champion Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant and others take part along with James.

"As his manager, I will only allow 'Bron to do the dunk contest if Vince Carter comes back out," O'Neal said. "If Kobe comes back out and if another big name comes back out. If we could get a big prize and have half of the money go to the people of Haiti and the other half to the winner.

"The guys that are in it, no disrespect to them, but there won't really be any competition for LeBron. I want to see Kobe. I want to see Vince and I will allow my client to enter."

Could he make it happen?

"I'm saying it now," O'Neal said. "So tweet it. Facebook it. E-mail it and hopefully it gets out. Vince, we're calling you out. Kobe, we're calling you out. We're calling everybody out. If those guys step up in the dunk contest, then I will allow my client to step up."

James has decided to skip next month's event in Dallas after originally saying he would participate.

What do you guys think? Can it happen? I've said it all along, that would be insane if Carter came back into the dunk contest. And before the hate starts, don't forget Carter's windmill at his college earlier this year. I don't see Kobe doing it though, because of his finger.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/shaq.dunk.contest.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Punkindrublic03
01-20-2010, 02:04 AM
best idea ever.

LakeShowRaider
01-20-2010, 02:04 AM
Shaq is just running his big fat mouth like he always does, making a stupid excuse for why LeBron's lying *** is punking out of the dunk competition.

Calling Vince and Kobe out?? Uh they did what they had to do in the dunk contest, LeBron need to get off his high horse and dunk. If he doesn't want to, FINE, just don't announce it on national television.

ko8e24
01-20-2010, 02:05 AM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/shaq.dunk.contest.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

The Big Ultimatum: Shaq proposes plan for dunk contest

Posted Jan 19 2010 11:41PM

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal has a plan to save the NBA's All-Star dunk contest: Bring back the superstars and do it for devastated Haiti.

Following Tuesday night's win over Toronto, O'Neal was asked if he would like to see teammate LeBron James participate in this year's event. That's when he offered his idea. He would like to see former dunk champion Vince Carter, Kobe Bryant and others take part along with James.

"As his manager, I will only allow 'Bron to do the dunk contest if Vince Carter comes back out," O'Neal said. "If Kobe comes back out and if another big name comes back out. If we could get a big prize and have half of the money go to the people of Haiti and the other half to the winner.

"The guys that are in it, no disrespect to them, but there won't really be any competition for LeBron. I want to see Kobe. I want to see Vince and I will allow my client to enter."

Could he make it happen?

"I'm saying it now," O'Neal said. "So tweet it. Facebook it. E-mail it and hopefully it gets out. Vince, we're calling you out. Kobe, we're calling you out. We're calling everybody out. If those guys step up in the dunk contest, then I will allow my client to step up."

James has decided to skip next month's event in Dallas after originally saying he would participate.

Hellcrooner
01-20-2010, 02:07 AM
only half the money for Haiti?

WHAT A MOFO

they are doing everyday more money half that island makes in a month

Rego247
01-20-2010, 02:07 AM
What do you guys think? Can it happen? I've said it all along, that would be insane if Carter came back into the dunk contest. And before the hate starts, don't forget Carter's windmill at his college earlier this year. I don't see Kobe doing it though, because of his finger.

this is obviously not gonna happen..im sure kobe is beyond all this stuff and vince is past his prime in terms of dunking..but hypothetically i would love to see lebron vs. vince (in his prime dunking years of course)..but im positive that vince wins that 9 times out of 10..kobe even admitted that vince was the best dunker of all time..i personally hate carter but the **** he pulled in that contest was nothing short of spectacular

IversonIsKrazy
01-20-2010, 02:11 AM
i like the idea, but half shud go 2 haiti, and the other half to the usual charity.

stawka
01-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Thanks Punkindrublic03 and Rego247 for your rational responses. Close the thread though, Laker fans have already decided to **** it. An obvious reoccurring trend, LMAO @ the idiot that said "Shaq's running his mouth again", the immaturity on PSD impresses me more and more every day

ko8e24
01-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks Punkindrublic03 and Rego247 for your rational responses. Close the thread though, Laker fans have already decided to **** it. An obvious reoccurring trend, LMAO @ the idiot that said "Shaq's running his mouth again", the immaturity on PSD impresses me more and more every day

My bad yo, I made a similar thread.

And plz, don't listen to those "Laker fans"

Shaq is a good guy, he's very charitable and overall good person for the NBA Community. I am proud that the NBA still has Shaq while he's still in the league. This may be his last season, so I would advise all fans to appreciate the man. You'll regret hating him all those times when he is retired.

Raph12
01-20-2010, 02:17 AM
You're too late.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447826

lakerboy
01-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Well LBJ opened his mouth last year and he wasn't man enough to do what he said.

ko8e24
01-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Ya I know. I acknowledged that in the other thread to Stawka

ThuglifeJ
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM
this is such a good idea

but lebron beating 32 year old VC and 30 year old Kobe would make me wanna puke. I mean no matter what theyd give it to Lebron. When VC and Kobe were sights to see in there prime in terms of dunking

but really this would be awesome. VC can still do some pretty insane stuff, at least from what Ive seen this summer. Like windmills off the backboard in a alumni game.

stawka
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM
You guys forget it's gonna have the name competition, but it's not like they're going to be awarded with trophy's FFS. It's going to be a fun charitable event, much like Magic used to have a Charity game, only this one will be a dunk-off. It really doesn't matter who wins, it's just for fun and charity

Mavrix
01-20-2010, 02:25 AM
Vinces hops aren't what they once were. All he does is shoot 3 pointers now.

fairandbalanced
01-20-2010, 02:25 AM
And Dwayne Wade

ThuglifeJ
01-20-2010, 02:26 AM
wow just read the rest. SHaq honestly sayin that these guys arent competition for Lebron?

that's a joke, if Lebron entered against these guys he'd get embarassed. Lebron lacks creativity, you cant really deny that. Hes a power house, with speed. Not like he's doing any fantastic creative ****, just straight up jumping as high as he can and throwing it as hard as he can..

that bothered me he said he's not joining cuz these guys arent competition....

w.e I would die to see VC, Kobe, Lebron all in the same contest

ThuglifeJ
ya I'd throw Dwayne Wade in there too.

IndiansFan337
Most of you probably didn't see/hear this unless you have FSN Ohio....but after tonight's W Shaq made sure to take another jab at Dwight Howard by saying that "I have the second best C in the East backing me up, the big Ilgauskas!" Obviously, I assume he was referring to himself as the best C in the East.

Shaq sure does love to talk. :D

Raph12
Shaq is just making excuses for Lebron.

Lebron's creativity while dunking just sucks, he's an in-game dunker, Dwight was saying just that:

"I think LeBron understands that the dunk contest is different from dunking in the game,'' Howard said. "If you're out there in a game, the adrenaline is pumping, the crowd is there and you're dunking for real. In the dunk contest, it's just you. You're out there (yourself) and the whole world is watching.

"So it's a different scenario. I think he's more a game dunker than a dunk-contest dunker. ...
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/13/dwight-howard-doubts-he-or-lebron-will-compete-in-dunk-contest/

ko8e24
01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Most of you probably didn't see/hear this unless you have FSN Ohio....but after tonight's W Shaq made sure to take another jab at Dwight Howard by saying that "I have the second best C in the East backing me up, the big Ilgauskas!" Obviously, I assume he was referring to himself as the best C in the East.

Shaq sure does love to talk. :D

Ya I saw it, but I think he was actually acknowledging the fact that Dwight is the best center. I truly think that today, Dwight is the best center out in the east (and perhaps in the entire nba). but, of course, Shaq still feels that Dwight won't amount to the dominance that he had in the early 2000s

Avenged
01-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Im a fan of Shaq can't really hate him but he seems to always praise the best player on his team and once he's gone completely changes his opinion lol.

faridk89
01-20-2010, 02:42 AM
so carter and kobe have to prove themselves and lebron gets a free boost to their level because he can jump high? athletics is only one part of the dunk contest and creativity is the other and we havnt seen any from lebron...get his *** in there, let him prove himself and then shaq can go and call out proven drunk champs...

robbnen#31
01-20-2010, 02:42 AM
haha got to love shaq he always gets **** stirred up

SirCalvin81
01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
y not

ko8e24
01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
he's basically building up this Lakers vs Cavs matchup this THurs. on TNT

asandhu23
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
Well LBJ opened his mouth last year and he wasn't man enough to do what he said.

He is a *****.

clutchski
01-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Shaq running his big mouth too much once again.

Ebbs
01-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Everyone has been saying this for forever

montafan
01-20-2010, 03:03 AM
shannon brown demar derozen and gerald wallace would be way better challengers for lebron. kobe and vc may be bigger stars but it will be obvious that those two dont have enough legs left to dunk like they used to and lebron will kill them

tr4shb0t
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
It's definitely what people want to see, but there is a major age disadvantage there. I think both Vince and Kobe will be focusing on staying healthy and more serious things now.

I don't think Shaq is being serious though.

thedfactor
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
Vince is done.

asandhu23
01-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Seriously people... isn't there a streetballer in this year's dunk contest?

asandhu23
01-20-2010, 03:10 AM
LePussy won't dunk in the dunk contest.

nipo10847
01-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Good Idea. Stop hating on shaq people. This really is a great idea. I personally and lot of my friends are not that intrested in this years dunk contest. Seriously, no disrespect to them but c'mon! Vince, Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Howard will make it hell of a dunk contest and I bet people will watch it no matter what. Just cant say the same thing on this year's participants. That would really be a nice idea to help the people in haiti. Props to Shaq!

GREATNESS ONE
01-20-2010, 03:22 AM
Kobe and Vince are a lil pass there Hops prime.

LBJ needs to bring it and win a Dunk Contest.

Raph12
01-20-2010, 03:23 AM
They should get James White in a dunk contest, seeing him take off from the FT line and put it between his legs would be a delight.

BkOriginalOne
01-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Kobe and Vince are too old.
But Lebron shouldn't have wussed with a 'P' out.

RaiderLakersA's
01-20-2010, 03:41 AM
Both Kobe and Vince have already participated in a slam dunk contest...and won. My memory is a little hazy, has LeBron? Ever?

OC79
01-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Agreed. LBJ needs to man up dunk already. Both Kobe and VC have done so and won. Shaq just needs to keep his mouth shut.

junion
01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
i like the charity idea... half haiti, and half to a charity here in the u.s. i don't think money should really be going to the superstars - they have enough.

what i don't like is that shaq totally just shitted on the people in the dunk contest saying that lebron would kill em all - well, prove it! kobe was in the dunk contest - won, vince was in the dunk contest - won... how many dunk contests was lebron in?

the reason why people are bashing lebron and not the other people that shaq called out is because lebron went in public and told everyone that he's participating in this year's contest, then he backed out.

now shaq is just backing up his guy, by trying to make kobe and vince look back by not doing the dunk contest. vc is old and injured, same with kobe. why didn't shaq mention d.wade, or anyone else not injured?

shaq's just being a dumbass.

this kind of reminds me of when nike pulled the footage of lebron being dunked on by some kid who's not in the nba... if he let it go - it's nothing... if he lost the dunk contest - it's news for a day or two.

Hellcrooner
01-20-2010, 04:36 AM
How could Lebron not win when the dunk contests votes have always been a Stern Directed Charade?

_KB24_
01-20-2010, 04:53 AM
Lebron is a marketing whore. He would certainly do this because of all the hype and added attention it would draw upon him. He knows he can't win the dunk contest when competing with greater dunkers like Brown and DDR.

WadeCounty
01-20-2010, 05:10 AM
for those of you mentioning wade, he's an in game dunker I really can't picture him doing anything special

vince would have owned any of them in his prime but your talking about a VC with battered knees and old age

the one guy I do want to see thrown into the competition is A.I #2

GREATNESS ONE
01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
for those of you mentioning wade, he's an in game dunker I really can't picture him doing anything special

vince would have owned any of them in his prime but your talking about a VC with battered knees and old age

the one guy I do want to see thrown into the competition is A.I #2

Agreed, Vince Would've owned ANYBODY in his Prime.

rasajr23
01-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Good Idea. Stop hating on shaq people. This really is a great idea. I personally and lot of my friends are not that intrested in this years dunk contest. Seriously, no disrespect to them but c'mon! Vince, Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Howard will make it hell of a dunk contest and I bet people will watch it no matter what. Just cant say the same thing on this year's participants. That would really be a nice idea to help the people in haiti. Props to Shaq!

First of all the idea of giving half to Haiti is horrible. They are in need and 100% should go to them. This is the worst idea I have heard in quite sometime...First of all Kobe has a broken finger...Vince is getting up there in age and Lebron is still feeling the after affects of getting dunked on by a college player. Lebron is used to losing in the regular season and now in the dunk contest???....please...Go back and watch the High School slam dunk contest he is in. The only reason he wins is because he made all of his easy dunks while Shannon Brown was actually being creative and missed a few. If you want to spice up the slam dunk contest than we need to allow some of these AND1 guys to participate and go heads up against some of the NBA high fly acts....

yanksrock
01-20-2010, 06:01 AM
That would be fun to watch.

kozelkid
01-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Shaq is just running his big fat mouth like he always does, making a stupid excuse for why LeBron's lying *** is punking out of the dunk competition.

Calling Vince and Kobe out?? Uh they did what they had to do in the dunk contest, LeBron need to get off his high horse and dunk. If he doesn't want to, FINE, just don't announce it on national television.

I hate Lebron, but seriously, I find it amusing that people are so angry about it. He clearly had some drinks during the weekend and said something he probably regretted right afterwards. Big ****ing deal.

albertc86
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Well, if the winnings go to Haiti, then it's a great idea. However, if you were to remove Haiti from the equation, then it would be a bad idea, IMO. The superstars that he wants in the dunk contest can't get up like they used to. Obviously LeBron would win that. I think LeBron doesn't want to lose; that's what I really think it is.

arkanian215
01-20-2010, 10:27 AM

LeBron's agent won't let it happen.

Stunner
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I dont think Kobe might do it , but with if Howard and Wade plus a person outside the NBA joined the dunk contest and give all the money to Hatti. Dat would be some **** right there.

fredv
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
"Only have the money for Haiti".

As if these a$$holes didn't have enough money.. :shame: :facepalm:

The rich get richer

mser58
01-20-2010, 10:49 AM
i would love this

KayNti
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
How are you gunna say "LeBron lacks creativity"... LeBron has the the most air time and can get higher than anyone in the league and that all you need. All he has to do is have some ideas sent to him by some people and he'll just perform them, you dont need that much creativity to be in the dunk off nowadays; there's youtube, twitter, facebook, etc to get ideas from...

mikantsass
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
This will never happen, thats why Shaq came up with the idea. Kobe and Vince both are battling through injuries and will need the rest come all star break.

Shaq knows this wont happen, so it makes LeBron look like the good guy

albertc86
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
How are you gunna say "LeBron lacks creativity"... LeBron has the the most air time and can get higher than anyone in the league and that all you need. All he has to do is have some ideas sent to him by some people and he'll just perform them, you dont need that much creativity to be in the dunk off nowadays; there's youtube, twitter, facebook, etc to get ideas from...

He does lack creativity; he's more of a power dunker.

Double_R
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM
"And if we can get a big prize and half of the money go to the people of Haiti and the other half to the winner."

That says it all about Shaq... Doesn't Lebron have enough money, only half should go to Haiti. That just makes me laugh... I hope Shaq realizes that the statement he made makes him look like such a money hungry idiot.

Only Half... wow

Double_R
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Lebron will never do the dunk contest, because he is scared... If Lebron lost the dunk contest it would bruise his ego and that is too much for that giant ego to take.

He is afraid to take the risk of not winning

LE-SHAQ
01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
You guys forget it's gonna have the name competition, but it's not like they're going to be awarded with trophy's FFS. It's going to be a fun charitable event, much like Magic used to have a Charity game, only this one will be a dunk-off. It really doesn't matter who wins, it's just for fun and charity

Lets not take this stuff too serious its a dunk contest, not the finals.

clehmun
01-20-2010, 11:49 AM
This will never happen, thats why Shaq came up with the idea. Kobe and Vince both are battling through injuries and will need the rest come all star break.

Shaq knows this wont happen, so it makes LeBron look like the good guy

exactly. i can't believe people are buying this. shaq is just trying to make lebron look good for backing out because of the competition and not because he's scared of losing. and as a teammate he's doing a good job, so i give him props for that.

but you guys can't seriously believe shaq's really trying to get the superstars to dunk and help haiti. c'mon.

that's like me saying i will donate 80% of my salary to haiti for the next 10 years if kobe, lebron, wade, cp3, vc plays american up to 21 during the all-star break. and i'm calling them out for not doing it.

there, i'm the good guy now, what a great idea by me. if they don't do it, it's not my fault, i'm still the nicest person ever.

#1Mavericksfan
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Kobe - nothing to prove and is banged up

Vince - Banged up

Lebron - scared he might lose

Avenged
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Roger Lodge from "The Sports Lodge" said Lebron didn't want to participate because he was scared of losing to Shannon Brown. :laugh2:

amoore87
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
havent the contenders already been named?!

Jack_Meoff
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
This is really corny for Shaq to do, if he really wants to motivate Lebron why doesnt he just join it with him.. lol I'd love to see the stupid dunks that Shaq can make up, he might win off of creativity probably not athletic ability.....

Lebron is a baby and consistently shows his immature nature, he said he would do it and now he states he won't, he should just do it to save face and be a man... VC and KB already won a dunk contest and are like 10 years older then JAmes.... come one man!!

WadeCounty
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
if shaq were to join in and break the backboard again that should be a auto win in my book lol

Sly Guy
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
meh, I don't think vince or kobe have the ups they used to, so it'd probably be a disappointment.

tr4shb0t
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Losing the allstar game and the dunk contest is too much to bear

ackar
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
do it

IrespectNumber3
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
There is no reason Lebron should not be in the dunk contest...This shows you that he is afraid that Nate Robinson will potential try to dunk on him, or bring a prop of Lebrons or something of that sort.

Honestly, if Lebron doesn't show up, I hope I do not see any member of the Cavs at the arena that day

pebloemer
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
exactly. i can't believe people are buying this. shaq is just trying to make lebron look good for backing out because of the competition and not because he's scared of losing. and as a teammate he's doing a good job, so i give him props for that.

but you guys can't seriously believe shaq's really trying to get the superstars to dunk and help haiti. c'mon.

that's like me saying i will donate 80% of my salary to haiti for the next 10 years if kobe, lebron, wade, cp3, vc plays american up to 21 during the all-star break. and i'm calling them out for not doing it.

there, i'm the good guy now, what a great idea by me. if they don't do it, it's not my fault, i'm still the nicest person ever.

Exactly. He is being a teammate. Deflecting attention from his star player.

tr4shb0t
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
There is no reason Lebron should not be in the dunk contest...This shows you that he is afraid that Nate Robinson will potential try to dunk on him, or bring a prop of Lebrons or something of that sort.

Honestly, if Lebron doesn't show up, I hope I do not see any member of the Cavs at the arena that day

that would be epic, bunch of prop Lebron's getting dunked on. FTW!

G-Funk
01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Lebron was just working the media. Carter will win it anyway

Cool007
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Come on man. This is so messed up. Does Shaq even realizes what he is saying here???

Carter and Kobe are not 25 any more. If they were it would be really no contest for Bron.

IMO, someone tell Shaq that let LeBron first get to Kobe/Carter's level first before challenging anything. LeBron needs to first beat out this youngins that are competing right now before they challenge the Top Dogs.

Stop making excuses - "oh he won't participate coz Kobe and Vince declined it".

RadiantShot
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
First off, would the NBA even let them enter the contest?

They already have their contestants correct?

What would they do? An 8 player dunk contest?

--

Would be fun to watch though, and I'd definately be all for it, doubt VC and Kobe will sleep on it though.

Shaq's just being a loudmouth as usual.

Cool007
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
First off, would the NBA even let them enter the contest?

They already have their contestants correct?

What would they do? An 8 player dunk contest?

--

Would be fun to watch though, and I'd definately be all for it, doubt VC and Kobe will sleep on it though.

Shaq's just being a loudmouth as usual.

They could but Kobe and Vince would definitely decline it. What do they have to gain by entering anyways? They have already won it and they are not young anymore. They are also nursing some injuries and both on a contender teams - so their main focus is getting healthy and win a ring than enter a stupid contest that they already won and nothing to prove.

They wouldn't enter just to PLEASE Bron. Bron needs to enter and beat those young guys first before challenging anybody actually.

ko8e24bryant
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
that's a great idea!
but maybe Shaq heard Steve Nash
planning to do that for Haiti
But Shaq got to the media first...
Lol
that was a reference to Shaq vs...

Kakaroach
01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Eh, Kobe and Vinsanity have nothing left. I'd love to see King James participate though.

_KB24_
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Rewind 10 years, and Lebron would have nothing on these two.

Carter would win it easily.