PDA

View Full Version : Why do T.V guys every year say the dunk contest is dead?

spreadeagle
01-19-2010, 04:44 AM
I always look forward to the dunk contest every single year without fail.Sometimes its a let down and sometimes it rocks but the actual game is boring as hell.Ally oops and zero defense.looks like a weak scrimage most the time.Every year I hear ESPN guys say "No one cares anymore" or "what another Nate Robinson dunk?".I do think they get way to many tries to make the dunk,like Rudy Fernandez trying his 20 times last year.I think they use to have like a 30 second rule,which would help.Why are some people so anti dunk comp? Its by far the best part and most talked about aspect of all star weekend . Look at the threads on here. P.S wasn't LBJ suppose to participate this year WTF

FarOutIos
01-19-2010, 06:33 AM
They say it is dead because in the past, the superstars actually played in the dunk contest. This made it more exciting to watch as well. Now, every team has at least one player athletic enough to win the dunk contest... in the past, it was only those elite players who were athletic enough. So it now takes more to excite us as fans with the contest.

I think the contest could be better with Kobe, Lebron, Wade, etc. competing in it. But it would struggle to have the same effect as the old days. Now, the dunks that would impress in the past, happen on a nightly basis. So they add props which gimmics it up a little too much...

stawka
01-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Imagine LeBron/Wade/Kobe/Carter/Dwight/J-Smoove/Iggy all in the same competition. That's pretty much the late 80's and 90's. Now it's just athletic guys that are not even stars in the league.

illegallover
01-19-2010, 08:41 AM
dunk contest is ZZZZZ

3-point $$$$ it would be more exciting to add more players and more rounds....

asandhu23
01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
isn't it obvious?

sixer04fan
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Since the Josh Smith was the last year the dunk contest was good... Besides him, j-rich, and vince carter, the dunk contest has sucked this past decade. I don't want to see 7 foot dwight howard dunk so easily, or Nate Robinson take 30 times to make a dunk like that other year.

Besides that, they just don't put in the stars anymore.. As Stawka said, "Imagine LeBron/Wade/Kobe/Carter/Dwight/J-Smoove/Iggy all in the same competition. That's pretty much the late 80's and 90's. Now it's just athletic guys that are not even stars in the league."

rapjuicer06
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
its been answered already, but because there are not big names in it. lebron *****ed out this year, and really made me mad. it should have been lebron, dwight, josh smith, and wade. they should have a dunk contest with that, and people will be completely energized by it

Double_R
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
THe only good dunk contests of the last decade are the 2000 dunk contest and the 2008 dunk contest... with some highlights mixed in; Josh Smith and jRich

Have you seen this years line up... now it really is dead

Double_R
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Since the Josh Smith was the last year the dunk contest was good... Besides him, j-rich, and vince carter, the dunk contest has sucked this past decade. I don't want to see 7 foot dwight howard dunk so easily, or Nate Robinson take 30 times to make a dunk like that other year.

You obviously didn't watch the 2008 dunk contest, because Dwight Howard did 2 dunks in that contest in which he blew everyone's minds. The dunk where he threw it through the hoop and the one where he bounced it off the backboard with the left and dunked it with the right... not to mention that the first dunk he did in that competition where he bounced it off the back of the back board and did a LEFT handed windmill was also far above any dunk that Josh Smith did... They were all dunks that have never been seen before, which is extremely hard to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTuUdfy_OE

You have embarrassed yourself, oh and btw Josh Smith is 6'9'' only 2 inches shorter than Dwight so you also sound stupid in that regard.

illegallover
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I would rather see 3 point comp filled to the nuts with all-stars and shooters every year

like 24 player 3 round tourny

most dunk comps are redundant

Hawkeye15
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
because LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc are not in it. It used to be a honor, even to the biggest stars. now its a bunch of average players who can dunk cool. So what.

LeBroom
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
You obviously didn't watch the 2008 dunk contest, because Dwight Howard did 2 dunks in that contest in which he blew everyone's minds. The dunk where he threw it through the hoop and the one where he bounced it off the backboard with the left and dunked it with the right... not to mention that the first dunk he did in that competition where he bounced it off the back of the back board and did a LEFT handed windmill was also far above any dunk that Josh Smith did... They were all dunks that have never been seen before, which is extremely hard to do.

Actually. Dwight Howard got that idea (or stole?) from Brent "Air Georgia" Petway. :) But yeah, when Howard did it, I was like "O_O zomg!" But then again, I saw that dunk before... Haha.

Hmm, I believe this Slam Dunk Contest will be epic. Demar Derozan will win it, vs Nate Robinson @ the Finals. Derozan will do a double between the legs on the free-throw line while jumping on Andrea Bargnani. :clap:

Double_R
01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffQl0IffbvA

Watch Petway's dunk, it doesn't compare to dwights. The only video I could find of Petway doing that dunk was after Dwight did it. Either way the point I was tryin to convey was that when you were watching Dwight, you were thinking it was sick. Not to take anything away from Josh Smith, but if you took Dwight's performance from 08 and put him against J.S. the year he won, it's not even close. The guy I was originally talking to was just a hater.

LeBroom
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
^

Hmm, weird... but I thought I saw Air Georgia's dunk first. It was during a College Slamdunk contest, I believe. Well anyway. I'm not taking anything from Dwight. He surely gave more life to the Slamdunk Contest... and his props/drama adds up some spice too.

BUT... I've said it before. Demar Derozan will win this. And it's not even close :>

RadiantShot
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Personally, I still love the Dunk Contest. Get's me hyped every time.
Getting a bag of popcorn, listening to Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith is always fun. It's a good experience too.

I'm gunning for Shannon Brown to win the dunk contest this year, I think he'll take it.

DerekRE_3
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
because LeBron, Kobe, Wade, etc are not in it. It used to be a honor, even to the biggest stars. now its a bunch of average players who can dunk cool. So what.

Gerald Wallace is an average player?

spreadeagle
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISTuUdfy_OE

You have embarrassed yourself, oh and btw Josh Smith is 6'9'' only 2 inches shorter than Dwight so you also sound stupid in that regard.
I enjoy supermans dunks as well:clap:

spreadeagle
01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Personally, I still love the Dunk Contest. Get's me hyped every time.
Getting a bag of popcorn, listening to Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith is always fun. It's a good experience too.

I'm gunning for Shannon Brown to win the dunk contest this year, I think he'll take it.

Agreed!!!!!

20R8ersfaN08
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Shannon Brown FTW!

thedfactor
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
All that matter is Lebron pussed out

mjt20mik
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Cause you have weak people that say they are going to be in the dunk off, and they bail last minute.

td0tsfinest
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
People want to see stars or up incoming stars participate in the dunk competition.

Last time that happen was back in 2000; you had Vince Carter, Steve Francis & Tracey McGrady; eventually became multi-allstar game starters

In the same dunk contest you had Larry Hughes ( avg 23, 5,6), Jerry Stackhouse (avg. 24, 5, 4) and Ricky Davis.

As the years went on, you started seeing role players become the face of of the Contest. Guys like Hakim Warrick, Fred Jones, Chris Anderson were headlining the competition.

The days of seeing superstars like Dominque, Kobe Bryant, Dr J, Vince Carter, Michael Jordon are done.

Punkindrublic03
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
dunk contest has been weak for years and Im pissed Nate is back again. His dunks are all the same. Not a flashy dunker.

WeaponXXX
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
We all know that Vince Carter ruined the dunk contest for everyone. The only dunk that got me out of my seat was AFTER the carter year was JRich's dunk but that is just one dunk.

Vince SET IT TOO HIGH

dev0
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
its called the Sprite Rising Stars dunk contest, its trying to be a showcase of the league's youth. However, thats what the rookie-soph game is for. In the three-point contest it is always actually the best shooters in the NBA that compete, and there is always superstars in that lame obstacle course game. so why no in the dunk contest? good question. I think that if there was a definitive ranking of the best dunkers in the NBA, all the guys that are in it this year wouldn't even crack the top 10

dev0
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
dont get me wrong its still my highlight of the year, but it could be sooooo much better