PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Prospects

burgh_fan66
01-19-2010, 01:14 AM
This is the first in my series about the Pirates prospects. Unless a player really stands out this will exclude players from the VSL, DSL and GCL. My process is to put the players in the minors into one of 5 categories. A 5 would mean the player is at least in the discussion to be a top 100 prospect in the game (the Pirates have 5 of these and note in the discussion is not the same as actually in). A 4 would be a good prospect around the Top 30 for the organization. A 3 would be an average prospect probably the next set of 30. A 2 would be a fringe prospect trying to get established and a 1 is a player who is not a prospect (so either a vet or an organizational player; 1's will not be listed). So now on with the catching situation:

Tony Sanchez

Ramon Cabrera

Andrew Walker
Kris Watts

Eric Fryer
Craig Parry
Joseph Schoenfeld

Tony Sanchez - Sanchez profiles to be a very good defensive catcher with respectable offensive skills and maybe a little bit of power. If everything goes right think Yadier Molina with more power. He will likely start the year in High A. Sanchez is the Pirates top catching prospect and according to most ranking is within thier top 5 overall.

Ramon Cabrera - Cabrera is a 20 year old catching prospect who made his debut in the sates last year. He is a good defensive catcher and has shown the ability to hit for a good average, gap power and good plate discipline. He will start the year in either short season ball or low A ball. He is on the fringe of the Pirates top 30 prospects but he is clearly the 2nd best catching prospect in the organization

Andrew Walker - Walker was at one time considered the Pirate's top catching prospect but after two consecyutive sub par seasons his stock has fallen. Part of the fall off can be contributed to injuries as he suffered an ankle injury in 2008 and hasnt been the same since. He has shown signs of raw power and seems above average with the bat, his defensive skills and his arm seem below average though. He will likely begin the season as the starting catcher in low A unless Cabrera gets promoted to that level.

Kris Watts - Watts appeared to be nothing more than a career minor leaguer but he has two consecutive good seasons and while he still doesnt look like anything special he does appear to have the upside of being a #2 catcher. His defensive skills are nothing special but they aren't detrimental either, he is about average. He has shown the ability to hit for a little power and to get on base. He will likely start the season at AA.

I will stop my short profiles at players I rate 3 or higher but if the discussion gets going well I will add more information. I enjoy researching and wrinting these so I hope everyone enjoys reading them. Hopefully we can get some good conversations going.

MooseWithFleas
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
What is the ETA for Sanchez? I imagine he will start at A+, while being 2-3 years from the majors, but he certainly raked in A-ball last year.

Jimmy Shine
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Really well done!

But if possible, could you elaborate more on Sanchez's offensive potential? When you say respectable skills, whats the implied ceiling?

AaronDeGlau
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
great job, but i would but eric ahead of andrew right now, because andrew has done nothing since he got here and fryer showed alittle and he can play the OF. anybody here about chris simmons the rookie league catcher, best of luck to him

burgh_fan66
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
What is the ETA for Sanchez? I imagine he will start at A+, while being 2-3 years from the majors, but he certainly raked in A-ball last year.

THey said when they drafted him, he was already defensively ready and could be up quickly. I would say the earliest would be a September call up in 2011. Mid-2012 would be more realistic though.

Really well done!

But if possible, could you elaborate more on Sanchez's offensive potential? When you say respectable skills, whats the implied ceiling?

No problem, I do these as basic overviews so not many specifics are given out. Everything I know about him puts his ceiling at about Yadier Molina with a little more power. So that would be a batting average in the 280-300 range an OBP of about 70 points higher (350-370), a homer potential of probably around 12-15 (Molina's is probably 8-10) per year, so that would put his slugging I'm guessing at about 400-420. So an OPS a shade under 800 sounds like a reasonable ceiling projection. And add in gold glove caliber defense.

great job, but i would but eric ahead of andrew right now, because andrew has done nothing since he got here and fryer showed alittle and he can play the OF. anybody here about chris simmons the rookie league catcher, best of luck to him

If Fryer would have played catcher consistently before coming to the Pirates he probably would be rated higher. In my opinion he still needs to establish himself as a catcher this year. And also I dont know why but I have always liked Walker, so I am a little bias there. And Walker had a very nice first year (2007) with the Pirates in 116 ABs he had an OBP of 390 and a SLG% of 441.

Jimmy Shine
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks. And if your projection is accurate, that would be sweet.

burgh_fan66
01-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks. And if your projection is accurate, that would be sweet.

not really my projection. more like a maxium upside. in reality he will probably settle is some where lower but I believe that to be his ceiling. Personally I think he will turn out to be great defensively and average with the bat. Say 10-12 homers a year and a batting average of 260-270. Still a very good catcher.

burgh_fan66
02-02-2010, 01:00 AM
My grading system is apparently confusing, so I'll make it simplier and repost grades.

5 - Elite/Very Good
4 - Good
3 - Fair/Avergae
2 - Marginal/ Not Established
1 - Organizational Player/ Minor League Vet

I will also use +/- to distinguish between the ranks. Note 1's and 5's wont have these.

Catchers:
Tony Sanchez: 5
Ramon Cabrera: 4-
Andrew Walker: 3
Kris Watts: 3-
Eric Fryer: 2+
Craig Parry: 2
Joseph Schoenfeld: 2

Frenzie
07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Just a terrible situation for Andrew Walker. He only gets maybe to play every 10 to 12 days. That is his punishment from Kyle Stark or Benedict. He has been made a bull pen catcher what a waste. Would love to move clubs. Even after both catchers were hurt they went out and picked up 2 catchers that had been released from Detroit last year. At least they have been playing every game somewhere so that there batting doesn't suck. They are maybe just average catchers. Anything to keep Walker off the field. This way there is no chance he could even move clubs with no stats. What a waste.

burgh_fan66
07-15-2010, 11:54 PM
I've been thinking the same thing about Walker. I really liked him but apparently the Pirates don't. Same thing goes for Kris Watts. Hector Gimenez, who has played well, gets basically all the playing time. Watts put up good numbers last year I thought maybe he'd have a chance a being a backup in the majors someday.

I hope they let him move on this offseason.