PDA

View Full Version : Are Star Players More Hungry for a Title before they win one or when they win one?

JordansBulls
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Are Star Players More Hungry for a Title before they win one or when they win one?

Examples: Wade in 2006, Garnett in 2008, etc

Kakaroach
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Thats a good question. To me, a true star always wants a title, whether he already has one or not. So the hunger should always be there, no matter what.

TheWatcher34
01-18-2010, 10:33 PM
i am missing an option in that poll. it's not extremely dualistic. the "star player" is mainly made by the media. there are players who are out for the money in the first place. a true professional and some one who is dedicated to his profession i think the main goal of the career is to win a championship. at least one, to get that damn ring. so if the player is on a team where he knows it's realistic and possible to win a championship, he will be hungry, no matter if "star player" or not.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Unless your Kobe Bryant, its before they win one lol.

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 10:49 PM
After you win one. You get that championship feeling and you don't want it to go away. You know it's going to be tougher, so your that much hungrier. I still don't see the hunger from many of the younger stars. They seem to be much more interested with their endorsements and "Checking their stats". :rolleyes:

TheWatcher34
01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
a guy like Lebron feels like he's entitled to win as many as possible, he wants to contend every season... in his case, however, it would be a great relief of pressure if he finally won one.

RadiantShot
01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't know, ask Kobe. He seems to want it more and more with every passing year.

Ovratd1up
01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
After you win one. You get that championship feeling and you don't want it to go away. You know it's going to be tougher, so your that much hungrier. I still don't see the hunger from many of the younger stars. They seem to be much more interested with their endorsements and "Checking their stats". :rolleyes:

Exactly. It's like weed. Are you more hungry before you get it, or after?

JordansBulls
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM

:laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
01-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Unless your Kobe Bryant, its before they win one lol.

This:clap:

azkarraga
01-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Don't really care about what they actually do, but they should. Prizes should make you bigger.

azkarraga
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM

lol

BlueDevil
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
I think it is after you win at title.. After you win a title, you are even hungrier to get that feeling again. That's how I feel anyway. I think everytime you play a game you should have the will to win, and the hunger to win every single time. I think that's what makes the athlete an athlete.

Lakersfan2483
01-19-2010, 06:25 PM
It depends on the player, but if you ask the greats like Michael, Magic, Bird, Kareem and Kobe they all were hungrier after winning their first ring. Great players want to keep winning and are never content.

cheerio
01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I think if it is a player trying to get their first one, then that would be the answer

JasonJohnHorn
01-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I think its a different kind of hunger. I know after the Piston's whopped the Lakers in the finals a few years back, that squad as a whole really wanted to win again because the public media essentially claimed that it was a fluke the Pistons won. Back-to-back finals appearances and several consetutive conference finals appearances gave that team legitimacy, but those guys were just as hungry after they won.

Kobe was out to prove himself as his own man after Shaq left, so I'd say he was just as hungry or hungrier than before. Especially when young guys win early in their career, they don't know the years of disapointment so they are so hungry when they win in their rookie or sophomore year, they are jsut happy to be in the league and getting minutes. So Kobe was likely hungrier after he won three and then lost.

Karl Malone seemed to be hungry every year, but his last year with Utah he didn't seem to have the same passion, I think in part because he knew he'd be going to LA to chase after a ring there. That passion came back that season, but other players go through similar periods in their career when they are playing on a losing team and their goals are set lower. They want to play out the season and move on, or they want to help turn their team into a playoff team or a contender.

So I don't think one is hungrier before or after, I think its a different type of hunger.