PDA

View Full Version : Dwyane Wade says he wouldn't take a pay cut to play with Lebron or Bosh

JordansBulls
01-18-2010, 09:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/frank_hughes/01/18/notes/index.html#ixzz0czKMi3Wp

The Big Three together?

It's being called the "Nuclear Option."

Imagine if LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh decided to take pay cuts from their max contracts and all signed with the same team and spent the next five years trying to win as many championships as they could.

Not going to happen, Wade said.

Not because he doesn't think it couldn't. But because he's not willing to take a pay cut.

When I presented the option to him recently, he laughed for about five seconds before answering.

"I ain't heard that. I ain't heard that. My first time hearing that one," Wade snickered. "I got two kids, man, I got to think of them. I ain't never thought of that one. But I'm cool on that right now."

Cool. As in, frigid to the idea.

Those three players do face an interesting dynamic, though, when they sit down with their teams to negotiate a deal this summer. They obviously want to know what plans each team has for building a winner around them. But free agents are not going to sign with the team until and unless they know that Wade, for instance, will be in Miami.

It's the classic chicken and egg. Does Wade sign with the Heat before other free agents are brought in? Or does he have to see quality free agents signed before he makes a decision?

"It's the business side of it, and that is the battle we were going through a little bit this summer," Wade said. "When the offseason comes, you sit down and you see what the future is like for your organization and for yourself. I don't know what the future holds. All I know is we are going to sit down at the end of the year and have a conversation and we'll go from there.

"But it will work out if it's meant to be. And I think both sides are confident in that."

Kakaroach
01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Thats a little surprising. But some teams might have enough to offer 2 maxes, so I guess he might not have to.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah you need tens of millions of dollars to support 2 kids. Gtfo.

dudeonthemoon
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I got two kids, man, I got to think of them.

Big fan of dwade but :facepalm: bro, don't need 20 mill a year to support 2 toddlers

Storch
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Just pay the man and dont ask him stupid questions. geez.

Derick713
01-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Did Kobe Bryant take a pay cut so the Lakers could add talent. Bryant gets paid the most while having players like Gasol, Odom, Bynum, and Artest.

Last I checked the Celtics Big 3 of Garnett, Allen, and Pierce are being paid max money. The Magic have three players making as much as they can in Carter, Lewis, and Howard.

Dwyane Wade can’t really afford to take a pay cut. Even though he makes million it still stands to reason that he won’t be making much after he retires at the of 36 or 40. He donates a lot of money and helps a lot of causes. The money he makes now is really something he needs since he can’t play till he’s 60.

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
:laugh: I'm sure Wade is hurting for money to take care of his kids.

Cubsfan365
01-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Come to the Windy City

dtmagnet
What a stupid thing to even ask Wade in the first place, they're lucky he even answered.

DLeeicious

Yeah exactly, pretty ridiculous how the get so accustomed to these millions that they think they NEED all that money to support their family.

MiamiHeat
:shrug:

he doesn't need to take a paycut

Heat could still sign Bosh or Lebron without Wade taking a paycut

Derick713
01-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Big fan of dwade but :facepalm: bro, don't need 20 mill a year to support 2 toddlers

He doesn't get just get 20 Million. He's got to pay tax as well prepare for life after basketball. His kids will have to pay a tax on whatever D-Wade leaves his kids. Itís not as simple as making 20 Million a year. The economy doesnít look great and living in todayís world is getting kind of expensive. D-Wade is also expected to give quite a bit to charities and relief efforts around the world.

dudeonthemoon
01-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Did Kobe Bryant take a pay cut so the Lakers could add talent. Bryant gets paid the most while having players like Gasol, Odom, Bynum, and Artest.

Last I checked the Celtics Big 3 of Garnett, Allen, and Pierce are being paid max money. The Magic have three players making as much as they can in Carter, Lewis, and Howard.

Dwyane Wade canít really afford to take a pay cut. Even though he makes million it still stands to reason that he wonít be making much after he retires at the of 36 or 40. He donates a lot of money and helps a lot of causes. The money he makes now is really something he needs since he canít play till heís 60.

Good point still he could play WITH LEBRON and BOSH. They could win countless championships and create an endless supply of money just by winning.

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah exactly, pretty ridiculous how they get so accustomed to these millions that they think they NEED all that money to support their family.

Exactly. They just get accustomed to spending a **** load. They literally throw their money away.

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 10:13 PM
He doesn't get just get 20 Million. He's got to pay tax as well prepare for life after basketball. His kids will have to pay a tax on whatever D-Wade leaves his kids. Itís not as simple as making 20 Million a year. The economy doesnít look great and living in todayís world is getting kind of expensive. D-Wade is also expected to give quite a bit to charities and relief efforts around the world.

Dude, a lot of people are able to take care of their kids just fine with a 100k a year salary while still donating their share to charities.

rick66ankiel24
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM

i think he's kiddin.. he's just a ***** tryin ta make as much money as possible, he raises/donates a lot for childrens charities too so it wouldnt all go to him but still.. no one needs that much money

Pharoe18
01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
i think he's kiddin.. he's just a ***** tryin ta make as much money as possible, he raises/donates a lot for childrens charities too so it wouldnt all go to him but still.. no one needs that much money

I need that much money..How else am I going to build my golden house on the Moon?

cwilson21
01-18-2010, 10:25 PM
What a stupid statement from Wade. Sounds like Sprewell.

MiamiHeat
01-18-2010, 10:27 PM
let's all hate Wade cause he is trying to secure he's life after basketball

**** WADE
HES GREEDY!!!

:mad:

SA5195
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
He deserves a max contract, but he needs like 20 million a year to support 2 kids?

Damn I wish I was his kid :p lol

Jonathan2323
Who cares? if Miami gets Lebron we dont need Bosh. We got Beasley!!!!!.

asandhu23
He has a high maintenance wife

smith&wesson
01-18-2010, 10:30 PM
he shouldnt have to take a pay cut... he is one of the few players in the league that deserves a max.

also for those of you who are knocking him for saying "i got two kids i have to think of them" he isnt saying you need millions to raise kids... maybe he wants to leave them millions when he is gone... and theres nothing wrong with that. these are players who work for a franchize... hell yes. get your money and as much of it as you can!! theres nothing wrong with that.

keep in mind wade already has a ring.

Yanks All Day
01-18-2010, 10:35 PM
He shouldn't have to take anything less than a max contract. He has proven to be a top 3-5 player in the league, so he should be paid as such. But come on, was that statement ignorant. I can understand it more if he said "Look I'm one of the best players in the game and I feel that I should be paid" but that he needs 20 million a year or whatever to feed his kids? On top of endorsements and everything else? I don't know. I'm on his side that he should get a max contract, just not with his reasoning.

TheWatcher34
01-18-2010, 10:37 PM
let's all hate Wade cause he is trying to secure he's life after basketball

**** WADE
HES GREEDY!!!

:mad:

the cat already has many parallel lifes at once: his own clothing brand, advertising contracts with T-Mobile, and god knows what else

tjlipford
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I feel him, I dont know if i would take a pay cut because like someone else said he has a life after basketball and he donates a lot of money to charities. He does make more than most but whats the crime of making the most money while you can. You can never make too much money. If you were making $200k a year and you were able to make $300k how many people would take that raise? Or how many would take a pay cut to make $150k instead? Probably nobody, he is just accustomed to making a certain amount of money and living a lifestyle. I cant knock him for that.

Avenged
01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Well, lets see if he's saying that in a couple years if he doesn't win another championship. :p

tjlipford
01-18-2010, 10:39 PM
He is one of the few players who actually deserve a max contract.

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Some of you guys are really funny. He didn't mean it literally as " I need to look after my kid's future", he was just giving a jolly remark that he wants the max money. Who can blame him, he deserves the MAX contract. But anyways, many families would be happy if they could earn a mere percentage of what he will end up earning. Just goes to show you that the rich get richer and the average man gets ****ed by the government.

NYMetros
01-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I'd probably think it was funny if I saw him actually say it on TV, but from reading it he just comes off as a greedy *******.

dodie53
01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
it's Wade's decision.

D1JM
01-18-2010, 10:51 PM
he donates to charities because he wants to bolster his public profile. Money donated just means he dont have to pay as much taxes. The real question is, if he didnt have to pay taxes at all, would he still donate money?

iggypop123
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
he is a sprewell disciple

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Yeah exactly, pretty ridiculous how the get so accustomed to these millions that they think they NEED all that money to support their family.

The NBA is way too spoiled. It's rediculous.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
His endorsement deals alone are enough to take care of 2 kids.

ThuglifeJ
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
wow I love Wade but lost a little respect. Not that he wont take a pay cut...
but saying he needs the money to support the kids.

lmfao what do ppl actually struggling to support their kids think of that horse **** comment...

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Yeah god he is ridiculous because he wants his kids to have a great life what an *******. Why would he take a paycut when he doesnt need to. I love people talking about sports and saying that athletes are selfish with money but if they were put in the same situation they would do the same thing.

Jays Claw
01-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Who are we to say how much money he needs to raise his children?

nipo10847
01-18-2010, 11:01 PM
He has a high maintenance wife

plus he dates Gabrielle Union. So yea, he does need money ;)

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Who are we to say how much money he needs to raise his children?

True I mean he makes alot of money we all know that but the truth is that people with Children want great lives for their Children. They would like to know that when their gone that their Children will be okay without them. Now is it likely that his children will ever have real financial issues no but if he earns a living in which he is able to support his kids for their entire lives what is so wrong with that. I know if I was put in that situation I would do the same thing and I believe that most people would.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah god he is ridiculous because he wants his kids to have a great life what an *******. Why would he take a paycut when he doesnt need to. I love people talking about sports and saying that athletes are selfish with money but if they were put in the same situation they would do the same thing.

If I knew I could win a championship with a paycut and I knew that paycut wouldn't effect me whatsoever then why the **** not?

nipo10847
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
lmao @ people who are bashing him for his statement. If you have a chance to make $2 million and $5 million, which one would you take? God damn!! Ask yourself. He is one of the few sports celebrites who has heart for deprived people, especially the kids. He does a lot of charities and he wants to make sure his kids and himself have economic security when he retires. What's wrong with that? Tell me who doesn't want that? Not to mention he already has a ring as the LEADING man.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 11:12 PM
lmao @ people who are bashing him for his statement. If you have a chance to make $2 million and $5 million, which one would you take? God damn!! Ask yourself. He is one of the few sports celebrites who has heart for deprived people, especially the kids. He does a lot of charities and he wants to make sure his kids and himself have economic security when he retires. What's wrong with that? Tell me who doesn't want that? Not to mention he already has a ring as the LEADING man.

You mean if I had a chance to make 20 million or 18 million and a possible championship? I'll go with the second option in a heartbeat.

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 11:14 PM
If I knew I could win a championship with a paycut and I knew that paycut wouldn't effect me whatsoever then why the **** not?

I think that most athletes with children would a higher priority of their childrens health and happiness to a championship. You can say well he doesnt need 20 million to feed his children. Well there is more to supporting your children than feeding them. Look at the situation with Derek Fisher's daughter. You dont know what can happen with your childrens health. That costs money for Fisher to keep his daughter healthy. I think that would be a little higher priority to Wade than an NBA championship, also keeping in mind that he has already won one.

obanga
01-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I think it's his right to want more money, although I find his children excuse to be pretty lame. I doubt a couple million dollars are going to dramatically affect their lifestyle.

nipo10847
01-18-2010, 11:17 PM
You mean if I had a chance to make 20 million or 18 million and a possible championship? I'll go with the second option in a heartbeat.

because you will never be in that situation (assuming you are not a prominent college prospect who is about to make it to the pro), it's easy for you to say it. How many superstars have done that in modern days??? And if someone needs to take a paycut in order to form a formidable duo or trio, it's gotta be LeBron or Bosh. Why would wade take a paycut. He already has a ring that will carry his legacy, the other two dont.

Ovratd1up
01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
When he said I got two kids, I got to think of them, I don't think he meant money wise. as aforementioned, 20,000,000 is plenty. His kids live in Chicago. He meant I wouldn't do that because then I can't go to Chicago.

But seriously, Miami can afford all three at max contracts if the cap is around 54-55 million. Chalmers, Beasely, Cook, Bosh, Wade, Lebron all fit under the cap. And then MLE and a bunch of minimum contracts to fill out the roster. I mean, it's not terrible.

And I get the feeling that even if Wade wanted the max and the rings and Bron wanted to win more than MJ and Kobe and Russ combined, I don't think Bosh would agree. He's already said he loves being the center of the team because it's fun., and in this scenario he wouldn't get close to enough touches to satisfy him.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I think that most athletes with children would a higher priority of their childrens health and happiness to a championship. You can say well he doesnt need 20 million to feed his children. Well there is more to supporting your children than feeding them. Look at the situation with Derek Fisher's daughter. You dont know what can happen with your childrens health. That costs money for Fisher to keep his daughter healthy. I think that would be a little higher priority to Wade than an NBA championship, also keeping in mind that he has already won one.

Do you really think making 20 mil compared to making 16-18 mil is going to really effect his children at all? Be realistic man.

DenButsu
01-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Wade is very unique in the fact that he's an NBA player trying to make as much money as he possibly can. Most other players don't do that.

C_Mund
01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with what he's saying. He doesn't say "I can't look after my family with less than a max." He's saying that he wants to have a family legacy. If I had the choice, my great grand children wouldn't have to work, and that's what those extra millions could lead to down the road.
He's one of the best in the world at something, why should he have to compromise?

arkanian215
01-18-2010, 11:23 PM
to me that sounds like he's staying in miami. going anywhere else unless it's a sign and trade would be less than the maximum he could earn.

kjoke
01-18-2010, 11:27 PM
as a heat fan wade can and should get as much money as he wants, the hing that bothers me is the children aspect, you honestly think that he wants all that money for his kids? rhetorical question

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Do you really think making 20 mil compared to making 16-18 mil is going to really effect his children at all? Be realistic man.

I am being realistic its not like 16 million dollars will never go away. If one of his children, god forbid, were to have a problem health wise that would cost him alot of money, It would be difficult to support his children for life. Also dont act like its 18 million to 20 million. Its 18 million to 20 million for about 5 years so about 10 million probably more. Even if there are no health issues with his children who are you to say how he should live his life if he has a career in which he can give his children the life he wants to then he should do it. Also why does he have to be the one who takes the paycut people are ripping on him because he was the first one who said he wouldnt but would Bosh or Lebron. You have to realize while Dwayne Wade loves basketball its a career not life and he will never value it above his family life no matter how much people want him to.

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 11:30 PM

Your completely missing Mavrix's point. If you have the opportunity to win a championship and make a couple million less, it really dictates on what your really in for in the NBA. These guys are filthy rich, I mean filthy rich. Your considered to be rich if you have a 1 million, these guys are in the hundreds while they are done. I'm sorry but that really is a lame excuse.

Mavrix
01-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Your completely missing Mavrix's point. If you have the opportunity to win a championship and make a couple million less, it really dictates on what your really in for in the NBA. These guys are filthy rich, I mean filthy rich. Your considered to be rich if you have a 1 million, these guys are in the hundreds while they are done. I'm sorry but that really is a lame excuse.

100% agree. Throw in endorsement deals and you're way above 100 mil if you're a superstar in the NBA.

Young and Stupid
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM
as a heat fan wade can and should get as much money as he wants, the hing that bothers me is the children aspect, you honestly think that he wants all that money for his kids? rhetorical question

Damn ya take everything so seriously, you don't think he was being a little tongue-in-cheek....

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 11:35 PM

What does that mean, Im not being a dick I dont know what you mean there.

Also I know that winning an NBA championship is important to these guys but like I said no where near as important as the happiness of his children and his children's children.

0nekhmer
01-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Wow is playing in the NBA getting into his head? He has a chance to make a dynasty yet he refuses!! I know he deserves to get a Max contract but AHH! It's LBJ, and Bosh dammit!

DenButsu
01-18-2010, 11:37 PM
"Lame excuse" or not, I'd take all the harping on Wade that's going on in this thread a hell of a lot more seriously if the star players on the teams those posters are fans of had taken pay cuts to try to win championships.

Obviously, they haven't.

Because nobody does that in the NBA. It's pretty freakin ridiculous to single out Wade here for being exactly the same as every other player in the league and trying to make as much money as possible. The only ones who really don't do that are waning veterans who want to chase rings or just live comfortably in a place they like. But star players in their prime? Hell no, not a single one of them is taking a pay cut.

And now just because Wade was honest about it we're going to bash him for it? Major silliness.

WadeCounty
01-18-2010, 11:40 PM
the thing is, I really dont think it's just because his children. Remember he is being sued by his ex co-partners for that restaurant chain of his that failed for 100 million dollars and besides that his wife is also trying to get half of his money in the divorce so he has to take all the money he can get

xabial
01-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Youve still got to respect he tackles these questions head on instead of avoiding them Lebron did that for a while then snaped lol

levignjw
01-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Amen. The greed exhibited by many athletes these days makes me sick.

DodgerBulls
01-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, i kinda of agree with Wade here. We all know that we don't need millions of dollars to raise a kid, but we are talking about Wade's family.. A celebrity family. Raising a kid though for an ordinary family can take up hundreds of thousands and thats not including college/gov't aids. So yeah, he will literaly needs millions to raise his kids to keep their status as celebrities. He can't put his kids on regular schools and such places because some people out there just can't get enough of celebrities and they're always get starstruck. So Wade's responsibilities is to keep his kids with the rich kids until ofcourse they become adults. Wade will be playing ball for at least a decade more and he won't always be by their side. As a compensation, they give out money for love.

And the fact that he already have a ring. If he doesn't have one, he might take a pay cut but just a little bit.

b_rad23
01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Gotta love Bulls fans.

He won't take a pay cut to play with Lebron, yet he's going to take one to play with Rose in Chicago (he makes more in miami because of bird rights and state tax)....

J$mo0th_3o5
01-19-2010, 12:11 AM
"Lame excuse" or not, I'd take all the harping on Wade that's going on in this thread a hell of a lot more seriously if the star players on the teams those posters are fans of had taken pay cuts to try to win championships.

Obviously, they haven't.

Because nobody does that in the NBA. It's pretty freakin ridiculous to single out Wade here for being exactly the same as every other player in the league and trying to make as much money as possible. The only ones who really don't do that are waning veterans who want to chase rings or just live comfortably in a place they like. But star players in their prime? Hell no, not a single one of them is taking a pay cut.

And now just because Wade was honest about it we're going to bash him for it? Major silliness.

:clap: Great post

johnwayne
01-19-2010, 12:13 AM
tell that to the kids in haiti

JLynn943
01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
My parents raised 4 kids on a whole lot less than what Wade will get. I think his two kids could get by on $17M/year rather than $20M/year :rolleyes:

Ovratd1up
01-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Gotta love Bulls fans.

He won't take a pay cut to play with Lebron, yet he's going to take one to play with Rose in Chicago (he makes more in miami because of bird rights and state tax)....

lol. Well most of us are 1) convinced that Wade wants to stay in Miami and will and 2) not diggin him like we were before.

And 3) He would make millions more in a huge market like Chicago.

And 4) We're not even part of this conversation, why bring us in? We're 'minding our own business' like you wanted us to.

_KB24_
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
What does that mean, Im not being a dick I dont know what you mean there.

Also I know that winning an NBA championship is important to these guys but like I said no where near as important as the happiness of his children and his children's children.

I messed up on the grammar towards the end, I meant to say that "Your considered to be rich if you have a 1 million, these guys are in the hundreds [of millions when] they are done". These guys can lose half their money and still have an amazing life. We're talking about superstars, not your ordinary average player who is understandable when going for the money.

You can't obviously blame then for going for the money but using "I have to look after my kids" is kind of foolish and stupid. The kid can survive not having his own mini Ferrari by the age of 7.

clutchski
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Just like Bosh wouldn't take a pay cut.

DenButsu
01-19-2010, 12:24 AM

I'm not saying that they are RIGHT to be so materialistic and greedy. I'm just saying it's stupid to single Wade out for it when he's no more or less materialistic or greedy than any other star player in the league. They ALL want their max contracts.

nipo10847
01-19-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm not saying that they are RIGHT to be so materialistic and greedy. I'm just saying it's stupid to single Wade out for it when he's no more or less materialistic or greedy than any other star player in the league. They ALL want their max contracts.

This ^^^^^^^.

sf-fanatic
01-19-2010, 12:36 AM

LOL...the numbers you threw out dont relate to the situation and the issue people are debating. Would you take 5 mil or a 250% paycut to 2 million...of course you take the 5 mil ! Say an average citizen making 100k, would you take 40k? God damn...i asked myself of course im taking 5 mil and the 100k, but that isnt the issue here because according to the numbers here Wade can rather take a 5 year deal for 100 mil or a 5 year deal for 40 mil... The real question is would Wade take a 5 year deal for 100 mil or a 5 year deal worth around 85-90 mil...We arent asking him to take over dramatic paycut to 40 mil; just a small amount...sorry but the numbers you gave out dont make sense

king4day
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM

Reminds me of Spreewells comments. Athletes need to stay away from comments like that cuz it makes them look like jackasses.

Clutch6
01-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Greedy Dwade, He should get a lot of ships and go to the hall as an alltime great! His legacy should mean more, he can support two kids, come on maynee

LayZbone
01-19-2010, 12:41 AM

http://dimemag.com/2010/01/d-wade-zo-throw-an-assist-to-haiti/

GodsSon
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
Who cares? if Miami gets Lebron we dont need Bosh. We got Beasley!!!!!.

Exactly...and Beasley couldn't even begin to hold Bosh's jock

DisturbedFTW83
01-19-2010, 12:49 AM
give me 20 million dollars, you can tax me all you want, i'll still die happily. Endorsements, jersey sales, and him playing ball, i'm sure he's just joking about that. His grandchildren should be set for life...

Mochalman
01-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah he def. doesnt make enough money with endorsements.....

tmacsc2
01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
dude this goes to show there is no such love for the game from star athletes anymore....man i would ask for 100 grand and i would play on that....i dont even care they are playing a sport for their careers i would love to see dwade, kobe lebron (even though they are freakish athletes) come do my job loading boxes at ups all night and memerizing zip codes, they wouldnt last a week

RaptorizedKevin
01-19-2010, 12:56 AM
heat fans. now yu know.

johnwayne
01-19-2010, 01:01 AM

yea i already saw that he started a fund....big deal....that doesnt mean any money came out of his pockets....these people are begging for donations and he's worried about making 18 million instead of 15 million in 1 year.....even if he did throw a couple thousand into it...thats the equivalent of an average joe throwing like 20 bucks....its a publicity stunt.....he'll still be going home to his million dollar mansion tonight while those people are running around looking for a cup of water...you sound like a fool for trying to defend him

J$mo0th_3o5
01-19-2010, 01:07 AM
heat fans. now yu know.

Yeah that he's resigning with us

ARMIN12NBA
01-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Trust me dude, if you are smart, then 18 mill a year plus the extra 15-20 mill from endorsements is enough to take care of your kids and some. Trust me, these guys throw away a ridiculous amount of money. If you are smart, then you will be able to EASILY take care of your kids...even with a "pay cut."

nysportsfan30
01-19-2010, 01:08 AM
He doesnt need 20 mil per year for kids, but he does to support hem their whole lives, and thier kids

johnwayne
01-19-2010, 01:17 AM
He doesnt need 20 mil per year for kids, but he does to support hem their whole lives, and thier kids

so you're saying the wade kids will never get their own jobs and make their own money??? if you need 20 mil per year to support your families lives...then you need to change the way you live cuz thats ridiculous.....nobody in the world NEEDS to make more than 1 million a year....you would be a damn fool to disagree

PrettyBoyJ
01-19-2010, 01:20 AM
The way I look at it if we all was Wade we wouldn't take a pay cut either jus for a championship which he already has.. The kid the thing is pretty lame but hey evrybody gotta eat

GOON MUSIC
01-19-2010, 01:20 AM
I feel him, I dont know if i would take a pay cut because like someone else said he has a life after basketball and he donates a lot of money to charities. He does make more than most but whats the crime of making the most money while you can. You can never make too much money. If you were making $200k a year and you were able to make $300k how many people would take that raise? Or how many would take a pay cut to make $150k instead? Probably nobody, he is just accustomed to making a certain amount of money and living a lifestyle. I cant knock him for that.

you comparing 150k to 20 mil ?

Apophis
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM

No... but Tim Duncan did....

With NBA commissioner David Stern set to present Tim Duncan his fourth championship ring on Tuesday, the San Antonio Spurs forward has made it clear he has no plans to leave the court Ė or San Antonio Ė anytime soon.

Duncan has reached agreement with the Spurs on a two-year, $40 million extension that figures to give the team enough salary-cap flexibility to continue to surround him with a competitive support cast in the waning seasons of his career, two sources with knowledge of the deal said Monday.

By signing the extension, which is expected to be finalized within the next few days, Duncan forfeits his option to become a free agent after this season. He will be under contract with the Spurs until the summer of 2012.

The extension doesn't come as a surprise. Duncan, 31, said prior to last season's NBA Finals he felt as healthy as he has been in years and hoped to continue playing "as long as I can."

But what is notable about the deal are the terms: Although Duncan is eligible to receive a two-year extension worth about $51 million under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, he agreed to nearly $11 million less because it could afford the Spurs greater flexibility to pursue free agents after the 2009-10 season.

Duncan and his agent, Lon Babby, met with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford at Popovich's house prior to the start of training camp. Well aware of Duncan's value to the franchise Ė the Spurs likely would not be in San Antonio had he not guided them to their first title in 1999 Ė Popovich and Buford presented him with a maximum offer during the meeting. But they also made a detailed presentation of their plans for the team's long-term future and showed Duncan the possible impact of his accepting a lesser extension.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-tim102907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

nipo10847
01-19-2010, 01:33 AM
LOL...the numbers you threw out dont relate to the situation and the issue people are debating. Would you take 5 mil or a 250% paycut to 2 million...of course you take the 5 mil ! Say an average citizen making 100k, would you take 40k? God damn...i asked myself of course im taking 5 mil and the 100k, but that isnt the issue here because according to the numbers here Wade can rather take a 5 year deal for 100 mil or a 5 year deal for 40 mil... The real question is would Wade take a 5 year deal for 100 mil or a 5 year deal worth around 85-90 mil...We arent asking him to take over dramatic paycut to 40 mil; just a small amount...sorry but the numbers you gave out dont make sense

I put those numbers as simple examples, i m not a nerd to calculate the exact amount. Since you mentioned, 100 mil or 85 mil, hell yea, I would go for 100 mill. That's ****in 15 mil right there we are talking about. Why would someone not take 15 mil when it's available and when he absolutely deserves it. Why dont you give some examples who did so? Did Kobe did it when the lakers sucked for 4 years? Is he still doing it when playing with almost 3 allstars?

Also Mr. Wade does THIS. Not too many superstars do the same.

nipo10847
01-19-2010, 01:38 AM
heat fans. now yu know.

what?? That Wade is going to the freezer to pair up with Bosh??

nipo10847
01-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Trust me dude, if you are smart, then 18 mill a year plus the extra 15-20 mill from endorsements is enough to take care of your kids and some. Trust me, these guys throw away a ridiculous amount of money. If you are smart, then you will be able to EASILY take care of your kids...even with a "pay cut."

Yeah, Kobe also took a paycut and he is gonna take another one in a few months. we shall see. right?

sf-fanatic
01-19-2010, 02:02 AM
I put those numbers as simple examples, i m not a nerd to calculate the exact amount. Since you mentioned, 100 mil or 85 mil, hell yea, I would go for 100 mill. That's ****in 15 mil right there we are talking about. Why would someone not take 15 mil when it's available and when he absolutely deserves it. Why dont you give some examples who did so? Did Kobe did it when the lakers sucked for 4 years? Is he still doing it when playing with almost 3 allstars?

Also Mr. Wade does THIS. Not too many superstars do the same.

lol you dont need to be a nerd to calculate simply elementary school ratios and percentages. i like how you throw out the "nerd" term when in fact you look stupid for not being able to do simple math. im not a nerd of any sort, just an average american college student. i just felt the numbers you threw out are biased because no one would take that large amount of a pay cut...Gilbert Arenas took a pay 16 mil paycut so he can get better teammates, Alex Smith took a paycut because he felt he wasnt living up to his contract. Eddie house took a small 1 year deal rather than other bigger offers at a shot at the title with boston and Rasheed played for the Vets minimum for a shot at the title too. In the NFL, MANY players restructure their contracts if they feel they are making too much/not performing to the level of their contract. there are some examples...

Dmagic87
01-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Wade you are a moron.

If Lebron, Wade, and Bosh were smart they would all go the same team. Sign 1 year deals to fit the cap. Then get resigned to the max in the off season thus creating the best team ever... or something close to it.

Maybe its not a good idea for Wade and Lebron to be on the same team. They would want the ball in their hands at all times. But Lebron and Bosh... maybe add a star vet somewhere who wants a ring. That is what I would do at least.

LeBroom
01-19-2010, 02:18 AM
And he shouldn't.

Wade deserves a max contract. If Tracy McGrady (who isn't even playing) and Jermaine O'neal (who is way past his prime) still earning 22mil+ why would Wade settle for less money? He can carry a team, he's a franchise player. He deserves MAX MONEY.

And besides, if he decides to stay with the Heat, they can very well be players to sign another MAX FA not named Lebron (I really doubt Lebron would want to come to Miami to play Jordan-Pippen with Wade).

Orrr... Wade could always sign with Chicago, where they already have one of the rising Point Guards in the game, a solid and Improving Center, and a guy named Luol Deng, who can go off for 25pts a night if he wanted to.

nipo10847
01-19-2010, 02:35 AM
lol you dont need to be a nerd to calculate simply elementary school ratios and percentages. i like how you throw out the "nerd" term when in fact you look stupid for not being able to do simple math. im not a nerd of any sort, just an average american college student. i just felt the numbers you threw out are biased because no one would take that large amount of a pay cut...Gilbert Arenas took a pay 16 mil paycut so he can get better teammates, Alex Smith took a paycut because he felt he wasnt living up to his contract. Eddie house took a small 1 year deal rather than other bigger offers at a shot at the title with boston and Rasheed played for the Vets minimum for a shot at the title too. In the NFL, MANY players restructure their contracts if they feel they are making too much/not performing to the level of their contract. there are some examples...

But you do realize that Mr. Wade is none of those guys, right? He is one of best superstars on the planet now. Those are/were not. He already has a title, those guys dont have one. He is in his prime, those guys are/were not. nuff???

tr4shb0t
01-19-2010, 02:41 AM
i think lebron will stay in clev. his supporting cast is way better than any of the other teams he is rumored to go to. but to win a ring he will need another super star like wade. i can see why wade wouldn't take a cut though.

sf-fanatic
01-19-2010, 03:05 AM
But you do realize that Mr. Wade is none of those guys, right? He is one of best superstars on the planet now. Those are/were not. He already has a title, those guys dont have one. He is in his prime, those guys are/were not. nuff???

i know what you mean...wade is a top 5 nba superstar right now entering his prime. i dont think people are bashing wade on accepting the money even if he needs or not, but hes going with the saying "i gotta support my kids" That saying is just being tossed around by all athletes instead of them just admitting "I WANNA GET PAID!" And, 1 mil a year is PLENTY to support a family of 5. Most familiies are living off 100k a year. And we are already talking 15 mil + a year that hes gonna make at least, so why not the pay cut? Doesn't he want to pass Jordan and Kobe in championships? That would be a true way to leave a legacy. I don't think its a matter of NEED its a matter of WANT. These athletes want the money so they can be walking around with 250k worth of jewelry around their neck and thousands of dollars in their wallet.

However, i understand why a player wants to get as much money as possible. So their family is set for generations and because medical bills are expensive if he ever needs to pay them for any reason. Also you can never have enough money, just ask Scottie Pippen.

But i stick to MY opinion and think that he should take a pay cut not only to win a championship, but also because athletes make way to much money.