PDA

View Full Version : New York: Why not 2 teams?

jimbobjarree
01-18-2010, 07:53 PM
New York has 2 teams in all the other major sports, and considering its meant to be basketball mecca, how come it doesnt have two teams in the NBA?

surely the Nets dont count?

ARMIN12NBA
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
If the Nets are moving to Brooklyn, then there are the 2 teams.

bigmac8675
01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I think the Nets count... because with the Knicks and the Nets, there is no room and not enough fan base for the 2nd NY team. Unless they move the Nets into NY.....

smith&wesson
01-18-2010, 08:13 PM
the knicks dont do justic to the fan base in new york. move jersey to new york.

Kakaroach
01-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Nets count, I visit New York during the summer and the Nets are like right on the border.

TheWatcher34
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
there are two teams..the only thing that seperates New Jersey from Manhattan, the heart of NY, is the Hudson river... politically of course Jersey and New York are two different cities..but as a Basketball fan i'd say that you can choose between two teams "within your neighborhood" that you can go to and watch playing. If the Nets move to Brooklyn of course then it will be even more obvious.
the fan base is there, easily for two teams to have sold out arenas.... NY is desperate to have that superstar player, or maybe two, that would put them (Nets and Knicks) on top of the EC and into discussion of being condenders.

mikantsass
01-18-2010, 08:22 PM
NY cant even put out 1 competitive team and you want to give them another team?

No in all seriousness, the Nets count as a metro-NY area team. NY and NJ all root for the same teams (except Hockey but who cares about the NHL)

_KB24_
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Because even with 2 teams, they wouldn't have enough wins to secure a playoff seed for one...... ahaha :)

New Jersey and New York are close enough. Basically similar to the Anaheim and LA.

Don Starks
01-18-2010, 08:38 PM
as a New Yorker, i dont think i have ever met anyone from NYC that roots or even cares about the nets. New yorkers look down on jersey.

yankee$fan213
01-18-2010, 08:39 PM
the nets are already heading to brooklyn

Young and Stupid
01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
as a New Yorker, i dont think i have ever met anyone from NYC that roots or even cares about the nets. New yorkers look down on jersey.

Damn that hurt. Ya'll go see when the Nets are back on top lol...

Don Starks
01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
there are two teams..the only thing that seperates New Jersey from Manhattan, the heart of NY, is the Hudson river... politically of course Jersey and New York are two different cities..but as a Basketball fan i'd say that you can choose between two teams "within your neighborhood" that you can go to and watch playing. If the Nets move to Brooklyn of course then it will be even more obvious.
the fan base is there, easily for two teams to have sold out arenas.... NY is desperate to have that superstar player, or maybe two, that would put them (Nets and Knicks) on top of the EC and into discussion of being condenders.

if you think thats the only thing that seperates jersey from NY then i am guessing you have never been to jersey. its like two completely different countries. if i had to compare the two place i would say jersey is like Mike "the situation" and New York is Jay Z. theres a major social shift once you get to NY.

ddudeman0101
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
if the Nets don't count then NYC doesn't have any football teams

mudvayne387
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Yea the Nets will really bring more justice to NY :facepalm:

Combine the two teams win totals and there still not in a playoff position.

SensandRaps
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
i think they should get another team. with the arguement about new jersey in hockey there are two ny teams and 1 nj team and it works out fine

EaglesJackson10
01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
New York has 2 teams in all the other major sports, and considering its meant to be basketball mecca, how come it doesnt have two teams in the NBA?

Surely the nets do when they move to Brooklyn. What a dumb thread.

Giantwarrior
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Brookly!!!

Avenged
01-18-2010, 09:29 PM
So who would be the "Clippers" of New York? Nets or the Knicks?

TheWatcher34
01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
if you think thats the only thing that seperates jersey from NY then i am guessing you have never been to jersey. its like two completely different countries. if i had to compare the two place i would say jersey is like Mike "the situation" and New York is Jay Z. theres a major social shift once you get to NY.

ok u live there.. i am from Germany and i've been to NY 3 times to be precise. i just stayed at a hotel in Jersey and that's why didn't really get to experience Jersey itself. I went to a knicks game last year (horrible blowout loss to Sac.)... obviously i wanted to go to MSG, being the tourist u know.
In case the Nets would land John Wall or any of the big free agents..i dont think the social differences between NY and NJ would be an argument...i m only talking as a BBall fan.

Netslunatic76
01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Yea the Nets will really bring more justice to NY :facepalm:

Combine the two teams win totals and there still not in a playoff position.

Okay, they are having a really really bad year. Anyone who watches basketball knows this, but the Nets are a definite improvement over the Knicks when looking at their accomplishments in the past decade.

arkanian215
01-18-2010, 10:08 PM

maybe you only hang around knicks fans?

jimbobjarree
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Surely the nets do when they move to Brooklyn. What a dumb thread.

haha, why thank you

Apophis
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM

NY actually has 3 football teams and 3 Hockey teams... Giants... Jets and Bills..... Rangers.. Islanders and Sabres..... but if you go by location... then we only have 1 football team being that the Bills are the only NY football team actually in NY...

We do have 2 basketball teams... Nets and Knicks.. Nets are orginally a NY team.. they are just coming back home...

The franchise was established in 1967 as part of the American Basketball Association, with trucking magnate Arthur Brown as the owner. Brown had operated several AAU teams in and around New York City, and was viewed as an ideal pick to run the league's New York franchise. The team was originally known as the New York Americans, and Brown intended for it to play at the 69th Regiment Armory on Manhattan's east side, but pressure from the New York Knicks forced the Armory to back out three months before opening day.[1]

Brown found it difficult to find a suitable venue in New York City. Some were booked solid, and others had owners who didn't want to anger the Knicks by opening their doors to a rival team. Scrambling for a venue, the team settled on the Armory in Teaneck, New Jersey, and changed its squad name to the New Jersey Americans, though its franchise name remained the New York Americans.[1]

The Americans did fairly well in their first season, tying the Kentucky Colonels for the last playoff spot in the Eastern Division. However, the Armory was booked, forcing the Americans to scramble for a last-minute replacement.

They found one in the Long Island Arena in Commack, New York. However, when the Americans and Colonels arrived, they found a bizarre scene. The floor had several missing boards and bolts, and was unstable in several areas (one player claimed to have seen one side of the floor come up when he stepped on another). There was no padding on the backboards or basket supports, and one basket appeared to be higher than the other. There was also a large amount of condensation from a hockey game the previous night. After the Colonels refused to play, league commissioner George Mikan forfeited the game to the Colonels.

For the second year, the team opted to stay on Long Island, where it changed its name to the New York Nets. The team was renamed to "Nets" to rhyme with the names of two other professional sports teams that played in the New York metropolitan area at the time: Major League Baseball's New York Mets and the American Football League's New York Jets. "Nets" was also a nickname that related to basketball in general, since it is part of the hoop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Nets

johnwayne
01-19-2010, 12:20 AM
because the knicks ruined it for everybody lmao

CowboysKB24
01-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Because New York is not a city that likes basketball at all. They hate basketball. Every fan that goes to a Knicks game is from NJ, IOWA, CALIFORNIA, ALABAMA, TENNESSEE, or FLORIDA. I mean really... another team in NY would crazy. Maybe they would get a lot of from Canada since the fans there said they want another NY team.

Apophis
01-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Because New York is not a city that likes basketball at all. They hate basketball. Every fan that goes to a Knicks game is from NJ, IOWA, CALIFORNIA, ALABAMA, TENNESSEE, or FLORIDA. I mean really... another team in NY would crazy. Maybe they would get a lot of from Canada since the fans there said they want another NY team.

NY is more Baseball and Football state......... and we do love our franchises.. whether it be the Yankees... Mets.... Giants... Jets... Bills... Rangers... Islanders... Sabers.....Knicks and Nets...

but you are completely wrong to say we hate basketball.... You couldnt be any more wrong..

Trouble87
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree 100%

I'm a life long Knicks fan & NYer who during the throwback jersey trend of the early 00's bought a Drazhen Petrovic Nets throwback....

I got Net jokes out the *** thrown in my direction

1st and last time I ever rocked a NJ jersey

leftymo
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM

except that two NY teams call Jersey their home. The Jets and Giants (who play across the street from the current Izod Center...)

As a former resident of NY and NJ for 7 years, I can say I look down on both places.

CityofTreez
01-19-2010, 04:00 PM
if the Nets don't count then NYC doesn't have any football teams

I can dig that!

Evolution23
01-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Honestly the Knicks will always be the main NY team even if the Crooklyn Nets come to town... The history, tradition, and simply msg are enough to make it the most important Basketball team. They have a monopoly over basketball just like the Yankees do. You gota be from NY to know what i'm saying.

Evolution23
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM

fail

Pensx3
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I just dont understand how the Knicks have been so bad for so long. When was the last time they made the playoffs? Im guessing in 2000 or 2001 was the last time. I dont understand why the Nets dont play in the Prudential Center. Why do they continue to play in the outdated Izod Center? I know Newark is hell on earth, but just hire some cops to stand outside the arena.

king4day
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Unless you move a team to Long Island, there's not much room for it. But I think if you put a team in the Nassau Collesium with the Islanders, it'd fill up every night.

king4day
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

All do respect, this is a silly statement. You can't drive a mile without seeing a basketball court. And they're always filled. The knicks sold out every night until Ewing left. Once they began floundering, people lost interest. It'll come back though.

king4day
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
I just dont understand how the Knicks have been so bad for so long. When was the last time they made the playoffs? Im guessing in 2000 or 2001 was the last time. I dont understand why the Nets dont play in the Prudential Center. Why do they continue to play in the outdated Izod Center? I know Newark is hell on earth, but just hire some cops to stand outside the arena.

2003/2004 if I'm not mistaken. They had traded for Marbury. I remember all my knicks fans friends thought they'd reach the finals with him that year. I even thought they'd go far.
Instead they were swept in round 1 and haven't returned since.

colinskik
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow. You should stick to watching your Boys lose. NY loves basketball. It's practically a part of the NY culture. Knicks tix are expensive, hence why many NYers don't attend regularly, especially when the Knicks play like they have the last 7 years. Just wait till next year.

G-Funk
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Honestly the Knicks will always be the main NY team even if the Crooklyn Nets come to town... The history, tradition, and simply msg are enough to make it the most important Basketball team. They have a monopoly over basketball just like the Yankees do. You gota be from NY to know what i'm saying.

That tittle belongs to the Los Angeles Lakers buddy, they have better history, a way better winning tradition and they have a monopoly over basketball just like the Yankees do.;)

td0tsfinest
01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I'd always wonder what was stopping New York from getting another ball team.

Avenged
01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I'd always wonder what was stopping New York from getting another ball team.

Im wondering why they have not reached the playoffs in a while. Most players, elite players at that, say they love playing in New York but yet they can't get anyone to play there.

td0tsfinest
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Im wondering why they have not reached the playoffs in a while. Most players, elite players at that, say they love playing in New York but yet they can't get anyone to play there.

Well Isaih Thomas came a long and financially screwed the Knicks by acquiring guys like Marbury, Steve Francis, Eddy Curry, Jerome James.

It seemed like this guy had no plan and he was show going out and getting anyone he thought was valuable.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM

but the nets do justice to the fanbase in NY? how is that possible? The Nets are 3-37. 3-37. That doesn't do justice to any fanbase. That's just awful. Hell, on PTI, they were debating whether the Nets would beat Kentucky, who's a college basektball team. You don't have that kind of debate unless you are really bad.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
So who would be the "Clippers" of New York? Nets or the Knicks?

The Nets. The Knicks fanbase still outnumbers the nets by a billion to one.

PatsSoxKnicks
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Okay, they are having a really really bad year. Anyone who watches basketball knows this, but the Nets are a definite improvement over the Knicks when looking at their accomplishments in the past decade.

But when looking over the two franchise's histories, the knicks accomplishments are easily better than the nets.......

mlisica19
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
they tried it with the nets and now re-trying it to bring the nets back to NY in brooklun. Its almost there, there trying

elizur
01-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Because even with 2 teams, they wouldn't have enough wins to secure a playoff seed for one...... ahaha :)

New Jersey and New York are close enough. Basically similar to the Anaheim and LA.

wrong and not funny at the same time.

elizur
01-19-2010, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=mudvayne387;12024786]Yea the Nets will really bring more justice to NY :facepalm:

Combine the two teams win totals and there still not in a playoff position.[/QUO

this needs to stop,besides that this statement is wrong, the Knicks should and will make the playoffs.

Shammyguy3
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM

If they are such a monopoly, and have such a huuuuuuuuuuge affect on basketball like the Yankees do in baseball, then why the **** do i have to be from NY to know what your saying. Your statements completely contradict one another in your failed attempt to prove your point. :facepalm:

JasonJohnHorn
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
If the Nets count, then New York has three NHL teams!

NetsPaint
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Amazing that people think New Jersey is non-existent as a state.

Big Zo
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM

They are nowhere near the Celtics or Lakers for that title. Their last championship was 37 years ago and most of their hall of famers are from the NBA's dark ages.

heathonater
01-20-2010, 04:54 AM
aren't the nets located somewhat close to new york. kind of similar to the angels being considered an la team even though they are 40 miles away in anaheim.

Kyle N.
01-20-2010, 06:03 AM
The Jets counts but the Nets don't? They play right next to each other in the same city!

Evolution23
01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
They are nowhere near the Celtics or Lakers for that title. Their last championship was 37 years ago and most of their hall of famers are from the NBA's dark ages.

Yea but they are still the main basketball team in NY and even with the Nets coming to Brooklyn, they can't take away the shine of Manhatan.
Midtown > BK. Enough said.

Evolution23
01-20-2010, 06:38 AM
That tittle belongs to the Los Angeles Lakers buddy, they have better history, a way better winning tradition and they have a monopoly over basketball just like the Yankees do.;)

Main NY team buddy boy

kombayn
01-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Yes in 2012-13 NBA Season, the State of New York will have two NBA franchises. The New York Knicks and the Brooklyn Nets - www.barclayscenter.com

yanksrock
01-20-2010, 06:53 AM
i think they should get another team. with the arguement about new jersey in hockey there are two ny teams and 1 nj team and it works out fine

x2

King P
01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
The Jets counts but the Nets don't? They play right next to each other in the same city!
Exactly. Jets, Giants, Nets all play in NJ. But yet the Nets arent NY and the Jets/Giants are :rolleyes:

Ebbs
01-21-2010, 02:40 AM
New york has enough teams just down right selfish.

mudvayne387
01-21-2010, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE=mudvayne387;12024786]Yea the Nets will really bring more justice to NY :facepalm:

Combine the two teams win totals and there still not in a playoff position.[/QUO

this needs to stop,besides that this statement is wrong, the Knicks should and will make the playoffs.

I am a Knicks fan, but your argument makes them look even worse. Its very embarrassing that this franchise has become the Yankees of the NBA without the winning tradition. The sooner we Knick fans stop trying to defend our past and start trying to improve our future the better. My statement was more of a sarcastic one, it may or may not have been true at the time.

Sly Guy
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM

tell that to the boston celtics fans out there. Or have you forgotten their supreme 17 championships to your pitiful 15?

That's right. Before you make a claim of being 'the most important franchise' based on finals wins, make sure you've won the most. And I hate the goddamned c's too!

bmanjones
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
thats why NY fans are the cockaroachs of fans, they always just bounce to another team when one of theres is down

colinskik
01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
thats why NY fans are the cockaroachs of fans, they always just bounce to another team when one of theres is down
You obviously didn't read any of the comments that NY fans posted on this thread. And for that, my first ever :facepalm: